Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:44 am 

Rotting Christ will release a new album via Season of Mist.

01. In the Name of God
02. Vetry Zlye (Ветры злые)
03. Heaven and Hell and Fire
04. Hallowed Be Thy Name
05. Dies Irae
06. I Believe (ΠΙΣΤΕΥΩ)
07. Fire God And Fear
08. The Voice of the Universe
09. The New Messiah
10. The Raven

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:40 am 

Hell yeah man. Haven't listened to this guys for about four or five years, will be keen to hear this one.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:58 pm 

They're haven't been sleeping on the laurales of their 30th anniversary celebrations. Will definitely check this out.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

wednesdaysixx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:10 pm 

Last few releases were incredible and loved watching them live in 2016. This is nothing but good news

Bates
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:14 pm 

Can't wait. Should be awesome.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:52 pm 

No thanks! Band's been treading water for four albums now I reckon. I have more than enough monotonous chants and repetitive guitar work in my RC collection by now.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:00 pm 

Return to the old logo and some artwork that maybe is telling me this will harken back to a more orthodox RC black metal record? Either way I’m in even though I wasn’t blown away by the last couple.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:31 pm 

Holy Piss, I love that cover art.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:24 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
Return to the old logo and some artwork that maybe is telling me this will harken back to a more orthodox RC black metal record? Either way I’m in even though I wasn’t blown away by the last couple.

I was thinking this might end up being the case as well. Especially since there has been a large growth of new bands playing the hellenic style of black metal, along with a lot of the originators putting out really strong albums as of late (Thou Art Lord, Agatus, Zemial, Varathron ect).

Nothing Rotting Christ have done post Triarchy of the Lost Lovers has done a thing for me, so I'm certainly hoping for a more old-school sound.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:00 am 

doomicus wrote:
I was thinking this might end up being the case as well. Especially since there has been a large growth of new bands playing the hellenic style of black metal, along with a lot of the originators putting out really strong albums as of late (Thou Art Lord, Agatus, Zemial, Varathron ect).

This.

The new Varathron has absolutely crushed my expectations - pure Hellenic black metal! The recent Agatus CD is breathtakingly beautiful. Not that hot on the latest Zemial and Thou Art Lord releases, but they're certainly not failures either. Katavasia is also a great, great reincarnation of early HBM.

So yeah, there's hoping that the new Rotting Christ will return to more fruitful shores. I've been a huge fan of Sakis & company for almost 15 years, but their latest two or three albums have turned them into a repetitive, unmemorable beast that fails to evoke greater emotions. Theogonia was a great example of how to summarize a career in the best way, so there's me hoping for something kind of like that record.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:30 am 

I think the Greeks are doing very well at the moment, generally, especially when compared with a lot of the other older black metal scenes (the Norwegians in particular seem a bit lost at the moment). I've not heard the last Varathron - but their previous few releases have been great so I have no reason to doubt this one. Again, I'm less familiar with post-2000 Rotting Christ, but I thought Κατά Τον Δαίμονα Εαυτού was a strong release and even the stranger, more experimental tracks such as ' Cine iubește și lasă' (essentially like a Romanian spurned lover's curse put to music) worked very well and, somehow, fit in with the band's aesthetic. Agatus and Zemial both had very strong releases of late. Agatus, in particular, really knocked it out of the park with their last album (although, it had very little to do with Greek BM).

I hope Rotting Christ can manage something good here, I have no reason to doubt them. The cover and the themes seem interesting, too.

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:23 am 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:14 am 

Great cover artwork!!!

The logo, painting and album title indicate that RC could return to a more classic sound. The new songs published in 2018(but not included in the new album if I am not wrong) indicate an atmospheric and darker approach which I think it would be great. We will see!

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:53 am 

Love these guys, such a unique black metal sound. Really the only melodic bm I can stomach and with pleasure too. I was relistening to Genesis today, an album that is really never mentioned- massively underrated, some fucking great riffs there. Pretty much every album has its high points and parts you will wanna repeat; I'm pretty excited to hear of a new album.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:54 am 

I love the recent era Rotting Christ sound but the last few albums have been pretty middling.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:34 am 

Ι am guessing that there will be a return to more classic BM or more riff-oriented songs at least. I think I read Sakis saying that in a recent interview. In Greece, where obviously RC are very popular and have been for decades, the last albums haven't been received that well, in the sense of being too samey. With each release the complaints have been getting louder, so I think that was the reason for Sakis' response.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:55 am 

Rituals was about as close as they could get to the apotheosis of a style they've been developing for years. Switching it up is definitely the right call here. Cool cover as well.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:25 pm 

Fingers crossed! Strong vibes from the artwork.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:45 pm 

Hoping for standout guitarwork. It's the core of what makes the band so great, and as soon as they forget about that, the music suffers. I'd be happy if they figured out how to incorporate that with a lot of their atmospheric, "ethnic" elements. Theogonia has been growing on me quite a bit lately.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:08 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Hoping for standout guitarwork. It's the core of what makes the band so great, and as soon as they forget about that, the music suffers. I'd be happy if they figured out how to incorporate that with a lot of their atmospheric, "ethnic" elements. Theogonia has been growing on me quite a bit lately.

Great summary of what they should be about nowadays to succeed. Sakis is still my favourite riff-writer in all of extreme metal (especially on Non Serviam and Triarchy...) and Theogonia was the last album to really incorporate high-class riffage. The flirtations with the "ethnic" stuff worked well on that album but too bad Sakis decided to drop the strong riffs and embrace "the chug" a little too much later on.

Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website

Bates
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:17 pm 

I'd say that's pretty on the curve for most bands that didn't stay stuck on repeat. They had something great, got bored and wandered off from that, and now they've either gotten bored or just did what they wanted with whatever weird angle they ran off at, and now wander back to something closer to the "original" sound.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:59 am 

I love Rituals. Like, a lot. I think it's easily one of their best albums. For that reason I'm definitely keeping my ears open for this one.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:55 am 

With my comedy-damaged brain, all I can think about when I see the cover art is Chip Chipperson's armpit tickling, and the sound of it:
https://youtu.be/Cy2DQd3jVHk?t=332

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:37 pm 

Hopefully they are able to answer the challenge set by Varathron on its recent outstanding album. Just like Greek food, when Greek BM is on, it is hard to beat.

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:28 am 

Its pretty fucking horrible cover art to be honest.

SD Plissken
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:40 pm 

I enjoyed everything Rotting Christ produced up to Theogonia, which I think is brilliant. They lost me after that album. I hope their next output will be a return to something great.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:40 am 

MikeyC wrote:
I love Rituals. Like, a lot. I think it's easily one of their best albums. For that reason I'm definitely keeping my ears open for this one.

I enjoy Rituals though I consider it a quite experimental album. As the title indicates RC makes a personal interpretation of varios rituals and though we can find some catchy tunes other ones are weird at times.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:35 pm 

Paganbasque wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

I enjoy Rituals though I consider it a quite experimental album. As the title indicates RC makes a personal interpretation of varios rituals and though we can find some catchy tunes other ones are weird at times.

That's fair. I liked every song on there, though, despite the oddness of some of the songs. I think this one will be a return to earlier sounds but I'm still excited to hear what it's going to sound like.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

wednesdaysixx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:26 am 

Honestly, my introduction to them was the Rituals era, and I saw them at Bloodstock (UK) in 2016 and just loved it so more like that is fine by me, but I've had curious looks at their other/earlier stuff and not been disappointed at all so I don't see much going wrong.

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:44 am 

New song:

Thankfully, Emmanuel took up the lead guitar halfway through the solo saving us from yet another variation of the same pattern Sakis plays for more than ten years now.

Yes it is.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:47 pm 

eesh - not a great start. a mid-paced singular riff and a short solo....damn it guys!

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:00 pm 

holy fucking shit that was boring
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:04 pm 

I wouldn't call it bad, but yes, DAMN that was uneventful... but the last two albums work best as complete albums, not as separate songs. I'll have to listen to the whole album.

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:41 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:16 pm 

Guys, you already have a song named "Fire, Death & Fear"....

Also, that song continues to be a tepid, recycled mess, like a lot of their recent material.

An additional problem is that there's not even any "thump" to it. No force, no power. Repetition, boredom. The pre-solo riff and as others said, the start of the solo sound like 50% of their recent stuff, but minus the impact.

I'm not expecting anything more than a lukewarm stew these days...and it hurts me to say this, used to be a huge fan :-/

Adder's Fork - Website

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:04 pm 

The figure at the bottom of that cover is so confusing. I guess he's supposed to be lighting the pyre? But he's so badly drafted? I mean I'd say it had an El Greco vibe if that weird bit didn't ruin it.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:26 pm 

I will buck the current trend here and say that I liked it. It's similar to the more recent output of the band which I'm a really big fan of. The song is simple, I will agree, but simple can work and I think it worked here. Keen to hear some more.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:22 am 

Found it to be a snooze and Sakis’s voice doesn’t really sound good here either.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:27 am 

Another song:

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:14 pm 

Didn't like either song, but then again i was never much of Rotting Christ fan. Always check their stuff because people seem to always have them in high regard, but their sound never quite worked for me.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next