Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Five_Nails
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:21 am 

I got thinking while listening to "Traitors Gate" on Judas Priest's 'Firepower' album. Amon Amarth is absolutely channeling Priest throughout much of its later career (even did a song in the band's style on the 'Under the Influence' fun-piece) and Priest's aggression and power in that song is something that was so much needed in that album to really bring the crush necessary to fulfill its driving force.
Youtube: show

Still, I couldn't help but feel as though there was a reaction in that song, one that couldn't help but to challenge bands like Amon Amarth to squeeze ten more albums out of the sound in that single like those viking warriors have bled and twisted thousands of years into their decades long career. There are the sinews of Priest so present in that song that seek to revel in their reconstitution into a million new fibers of songs from now on but still, it's derived from the same badass blanket of brutal riffing that has kept Priest alive through so many bumps in the road.

Amon Amarth has some awful collaborations in its repertoire, don't get me wrong. I've gone at length about them before and I'll still say that "Guardians of Asgard" with L. G. Petrov, "Hel" with Messiah Marcolin, and "A Dream That Cannot Be" with Doro are some of the band's absolutely worst songs.

Still, "Traitors Gate" has me feeling as though Priest and Amon Amarth may pull it off if they could collaborate on a song. Not in a Hegg and Halford combo or a one-sided 'we write, you sing, scream, or growl' style that they've done before, but from a musician's perspective that just hasn't occurred much in those previous collaborations.

What I'm wondering with this thread is not what sort of vocal collaborations you think might work, but thematically, stylistically, from a perspective of instruments and songwriting driving things. What bands could do well if they could do a great collaboration? Also, what would each band need to bring to the combination so as not to mainstream it (like Amon Amarth did so horribly in "Guardians of Asgard") to really kick your ass?

Who do you think need to get together to really rock you?

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:31 am 

I think everyone nowadays would love Godflesh featuring Snorre Ruch on guitar, and so would I. Have Snorre ditch all the elements that made Thorns so much worse than it could have been (aka the glam rock black metal singers and Triggerhammer on drums) and work within a really harsh, monolithic soundframe with a singer and percussion that fit the mood of his riffs.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:04 pm 

Aaron Stainthorpe of My Dying Bride with Swans.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:05 pm 

Singer from Powerwolf with Yngwie, with someone unaffiliated with either writing the songs.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:24 pm 

I'd still love to see that Halford/Nergal/Ihsahn thing that has just been loosely talked about come to life.

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:18 pm 

demonomania wrote:
Singer from Powerwolf with Yngwie, with someone unaffiliated with either writing the songs.

I'd pick Abigail-era Andy Larocque over Yngwie, but i'm too of the opinion that that singer is a monster confined into an boring band

Thiestru
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:32 pm 

I'd like for Yngwie to collaborate with 1985 again.

If you're interested in hearing my music, it can be found here: http://thiestru.bandcamp.com. Wassail.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:50 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
demonomania wrote:

I'd pick Abigail-era Andy Larocque over Yngwie, but i'm too of the opinion that that singer is a monster confined into an boring band

Have you heard the older Powerwolf albums like Lupus Dei and Bible of the Beast? It's no Abigail for sure, but back then they were a much more guitar/riff-centric band and there was a lot of Mercyful Fate & King Diamond influence, far from the "evil Sabaton" gimmick they've been doing for the last three or so albums.

And I'll also mention Aaron Stainthorpe, but instead I want to hear him lend his death growl to a more "crushing" death-doom band like Cianide, Dusk, or Asphyx. When produced and mixed properly, in my book, his is one of the best and most vile and wretched (in a good way :)) in the entire death metal genre, would be great to hear him utilize it to it's fullest potential in a way he (for the most part) hasn't in probably 25 years.

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:15 pm 

^
Yes, And i agree! those are way better, the songs are more atmospheric and better crafted.. i feel that they miss just a bit of golden age Larocque to take them to the next level :)

Reply to topic