Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.

When should the polls close this year?
Poll ended at Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:34 am
January 1 43%  43%  [ 52 ]
January 8 41%  41%  [ 50 ]
January 15 16%  16%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 121
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:26 am 

Hello everybody! December is here once again and y'all know what that means. It's time for:

THE ENCYCLOPAEDIA METALLUM ALBUM OF THE YEAR POLL

How exactly does this work you ask? Why it's simple! All you need to do is:

Select your top ten:
This is very easy, all you need to do is choose your top ten albums of the year.

PM your top ten, in order, to me, BastardHead:
It's that simple, just make a top ten and send it to me, I'll take care of all the number crunching nonsense!

What happens next is that I will assign each position a point value, grand prix style, so that first place votes are seen as more valuable than second place, and so on. The point values are as follows:

1 = 25 points
2 = 18 points
3 = 15 points
4 = 12 points
5 = 10 points
6 = 8 points
7 = 6 points
8 = 4 points
9 = 2 points
10 = 1 point

That may seem confusing and semi random for people who don't follow F1, but the idea of the point system being set up the way it is is that consistency is valued over a lucky win. So an album with twenty third place votes will fare better than one with ten first place votes. Regardless, we want you to put some good thought into this. Every vote counts! The idea is to get a collective snapshot of what we, as MA forumgoers, see to be the best albums of the year. So give it a lot of thought and let your voice be heard!

As with all things, there are a few guidelines we ask you to follow, but they're all quite simple, common sense rules.

1) METAL ONLY!: This is for the METAL Archives, so it would be really friggin' weird if a bunch of non-metal clogged up the final chart. I don't care how great the new Idles album is, metal only. This will be measured by whether or not a band is on the archives. I don't claim to know every band, but I'll crosscheck ones I don't know against the database here, and if they don't have a page, your whole ballot goes in the internetical trash. This is very simple. The only exception is for bands who are on the archives but released a non-metal album, simply because I'm not about to split hairs and listen to every single album myself to make sure they all qualify. So to make it easy: An album like Opeth's soft stuff is eligible, but Kvelertak is not.

2) Make sure you vote for ten albums: If you can't think of ten great albums from this year, you don't really have any place deciding what was the best of the year.

3) Put your list in order: I'm assigning point values, it's important that they're in order. If you just give me something alphabetically with no determined ordering, I'll either just discard the entire ballot or change every vote to the new Metallic Ass album out of spite. In the event of a tie, the album with more higher placed votes counts, so an album with ten votes all for fourth place will rank above one with a hundred and twenty votes only for tenth place, so please, order them!

4) New, original material only: So no live albums or compilations or anything like that. This is simply so no pointless "best of" release or something shows up. Those are never in play unless it's something totally rerecorded and treated as a new release, which to my knowledge is extremely rare, and if there is such a case that you loved and want to vote for, just use your best judgment as to whether or not it's a standalone release or simply a "best of" collection with a new vocalist or something. So full lengths, demos, EPs, splits, etc. are all fair game. Live albums, compilations, box sets, rereleases, deluxe editions, etc. are not.

5) Only albums actually released in 2018: This should go without saying but I want to make it clear just in case. Be sure it actually came out this year, if you vote for some 2019 album because it was leaked in November, I will invent a way to slap you through your monitor.

6) One ballot per user: Again, should go without saying, but don't try to vote multiple times to inflate the numbers. I will notice and I'll just wipe your whole vote if you decide to be a numbskull.

7) Your account must have been registered before this thread was created: This shouldn't apply to pretty much all of you, but it's just to prevent duplicate sockpuppet accounts trying to game the system. Don't do that.

8) Don't be a dick: We're running on the honor system here, and I obviously can't police the intentions of everybody who votes, but please don't be a troll who votes in a bunch of crap you've never heard of for yuks. Nor should you vote in things you actually think are terrible as some weird form of protest. Nor should you vote the same album ten times. Nor should you vote for something your own band released. We're trusting you to take this seriously enough to have fun with this but not act like an idiot, just use common sense and don't waste our time.

And that's all there is to it! This thread is open for questions, simple discussion and nothing more. This gets some puzzled looks every year but what I mean is simply don't post your lists here before the final tally is done. It may seem minor but the last thing I want is to get weird results thanks to people not voting for something if it looks like they're already going to win or something (this happened last year with somebody openly saying they put Pallbearer lower on their list since it was probably getting a lot of votes anyway, and in the end they wound up only 2 points out of the Top 10). But if you want to say "Hey guys, if you liked the new Vomit Sodomy record, be sure to check out the new Goat Fucking Moonpocalypse too!" or something, that's more than welcome! The more people know about great albums, the better! The whole idea here is to get a snapshot of how MA feels and hopefully to introduce everybody to some great stuff they may not have heard of before. Treat this thread as a Q&A for me and a companion thread to the "Worthwhile Albums of 2018" thread, basically.

Also, just for fun and to shine some light on the fresh faces in the scene, there will also be an optional side vote for:

DEBUT OF THE YEAR

You don't have to vote for this if you don't want to, but if you'd like to, you can also include ONE (1) vote for debut of the year. A valid debut is considered the same as above: new original material in any format. As long as it's their FIRST of the type. So a band's first ever release is obviously okay, but say a band has a demo that got them noticed and signed, and just released a full length debut this year, that full length would also count as long as it was released in 2018. ONLY VOTE FOR ONE OF THESE. Again, it's just a fun sidebar, and not required, but I really like the idea so I'm going for it.

THIS IS A NEW PART THAT REQUIRES YOUR PARTICIPATION

Normally, polls are open until January 1st, 2019, MA time (so Eastern, or GMT -05:00), but last year I had a few complaints (beyond just that one dork I'm sure you remember) from people who thought the polls ended too quickly. Albums are still being released all throughout December, and people want more time to listen to everything and make their lists as accurate as possible. I start collecting votes early because I know a lot of people who finalize their lists this early, but some of you guys wait til the eleventh hour as well.

So! In the interest of fairness and the illusion of democracy, you can now vote on when the polls close! I'll posit three options:

1) January 1st: This is the original date we've used the last two years and my personal preferred date. This allows me to get the final list posted as soon as possible after the year turns, when interest in lists like these are at their highest. Selfishly, it also helps that I'll have this day guaranteed off work, so I can focus on getting it done in one hit instead of splitting it across a few days while I do responsible adult shit.

2) January 8th: This is purely the Enlightened Centrist option. Select this if you love Roger Sherman.

3) January 15th: This is the date that was most often cited as a preferred date by people who were unhappy the last two years. This gives voters an extra two weeks into the new year to confidently and accurately solidify their lists in order to give the best representation of their ballot. Great albums do still come out in December (this happened last year with Nortt and the previous year with Batushka) and some people will want to spend extra time with them in order to make sure they get the representation they deserve. There's also a bonus in late bloomers who don't visit the forums too often to still get their lists in, as I've had a few disappointed people miss the deadline the last two years.

So there! As soon as a forum mod/admin wakes up and creates a poll for this, y'all will be able to vote on when you want the polls to close. The Poll for the Poll, if you will. I say we can leave that open for a week or two just so people will still have a few weeks to prepare before the month ends, but once it's decided, it will be finalized and I'll make another announcement just so everybody is on the same page.

Thank you all for your support these last few years and thanks for playing along this year as well if you so choose! Happy voting! :hail:
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Last edited by BastardHead on Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeteGas
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:24 pm 

Awesome. Thanks for organizing. Always look forward to this

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:27 pm 

I voted January 1 purely because you have the time to do it on that date, and this list is just a bit of fun despite the fact that albums do get released in December. But I'm easy either way.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

PorcupineOfDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:06 am 

Nice, I always find this interesting. There's been a lot of quality releases this year - hopefully my entire list doesn't end up in the rando corner again :p

Bachstein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:11 am 

Thanks again for the poll, it is always great fun to particpate. Shit, I've discovered so many albums this year, it won't be an easy task to pick only 10. Also, I'm happy that this "Debut of the year" prize will be awarded again, you can discover many interesting stuff while checking the votes on this section. :)

Bachstein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:34 am 

I have a question. Can the same band be put in the "top 10" and also in the "Debut of the year" section?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:51 am 

Yes of course. Your debut vote doesn't necessarily have to be in your main Top 10, nor does it need to differ from it. If the best album of the year also happens to be the best debut of the year, then by all means vote 'em for both!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Bachstein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:22 am 

Thanks for the reply!

Who started to gather the optional albums yet? I've been doing that all along the year, and now I've narrowed it down to 32 albums. Still there is a lot of brainstorming ahead, which has to go and which has to stay. But the unquestionable winner has been already picked from my side. :)

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:40 pm 

Wish I had voted last year. I keep finding out that a bunch of the things I want to vote for this year were actually late 2017 releases.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:33 pm 

I don't really agree with rule #2 to be honest. :(

That said, thanks for putting in all the effort to organize this.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:31 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
I don't really agree with rule #2 to be honest. :(

you sure could think of 10 right? :-P
thanks for doing it again, really enjoyed last years but this year my list is more difficult to rank so I don't know yet.

mornox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:49 pm 

I've only heard 6 new metal albums this year :(

Oh well, guess I'll be taking some copious notes from the results thread this time. I sure picked up a bunch of cool stuff from previous year's results so this time should be good too.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:28 pm 

Rompestromper wrote:

I could, but I don't know if some of those are good enough to warrant ranking in a top 10 and all. But we'll see.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:31 pm 

The Mod Paradox: We hear the most metal per year but 99% of it is fucking terrible.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:37 am 

BastardHead wrote:
The Mod Paradox: We hear the most metal per year but 99% of it is fucking terrible.

lol

Also most of my best albums this year are, in fact, not metal... :oh shit:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:19 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Also most of my best albums this year are, in fact, not metal... :oh shit:

Turn in your badge please. You're fired.

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:15 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Rompestromper wrote:

I could, but I don't know if some of those are good enough to warrant ranking in a top 10 and all. But we'll see.

haha I thought you were against the rule because you would think 10 are not enough but it is the other way around. that's unfortunate

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:41 am 

I'm the opposite in that I could probably do a top 30 or even 40 for this year (despite the fact that ranking such a large amount of albums would be challenging). I pretty much have my #1 of the year but after that it's going to be fun trying to decide where they all go.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:28 am 

My process of elimination began yesterday so I'm hoping my list will be ready in a couple weeks. Voting January 8th to show leniency to the lazy butts out there.

Bachstein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:33 am 

MikeyC wrote:
I'm the opposite in that I could probably do a top 30 or even 40 for this year (despite the fact that ranking such a large amount of albums would be challenging). I pretty much have my #1 of the year but after that it's going to be fun trying to decide where they all go.

Yeah, I'm in the exact same situation.
What is your main method of the ranking when you're trying to organize so many albums? I've always go by the method how much and how frequently have I listened to a specific album through the year, but it can be tricky, since there are LPs, which require a specific mood, and I have not listened to them that much, but still, I see them as a significant release of the year.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:11 am 

Bachstein wrote:
What is your main method of the ranking when you're trying to organize so many albums? I've always go by the method how much and how frequently have I listened to a specific album through the year, but it can be tricky, since there are LPs, which require a specific mood, and I have not listened to them that much, but still, I see them as a significant release of the year.

I have a similar thing, but also ones that I don't listen to as much can make it if they have a strong reaction/feeling from me. I also tend to not rate EP's as highly because they aren't long enough, although there is one this year that should make it. But at the end of the day it's just a fun list so it doesn't matter too much. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Bachstein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:35 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Bachstein wrote:

I have a similar thing, but also ones that I don't listen to as much can make it if they have a strong reaction/feeling from me. I also tend to not rate EP's as highly because they aren't long enough, although there is one this year that should make it. But at the end of the day it's just a fun list so it doesn't matter too much. :)

Yeah, I did not have any EP in my list for the top10 of 2017. Neither have I any in my 2018 draft so far. Though the EP from Vanhävd was quite good, but I doubt it'll have any space among the top 10.

Peyp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:33 pm 

I could do a top 100 with the number of things I've listened to. That being said, I've listened to so much I've forgotten half. Hopefully I'll have enough time to go back through the top 20 or so.

Thanks once again for doing this, BH! I love these aggregate reviews.
Due to the unfortunate reality of our guitarist fucking my girlfriend of almost 7 years WITCHROT will be taking an extended hiatus. I however will continue the band in another space and time... Thanks for the support, stay heavy. Also our drummer died...

RIP DIAMHEA

dheriara
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:23 am 

numpang lewat from indonesia

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:29 pm 

It really should be the 15th assuming people take the proper time to digest new albums let alone compare them on their merits to other records. Sulphur Aeon is releasing soon and it very well could be AOTY in any genre, but it'll take time to appreciate it perhaps.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:12 pm 

I sort of agree with Morrigan on #2. I've heard a lot of metal albums this year, but most of them aren't worthy of a top 10 anything. That's what has made this year so hard for me. Last year I had a surplus of top 10 worthy albums, and this year it has been the opposite. Almost none of the albums I've heard I feel truly warrant such an honorable...honor? I guess this year has just been pretty disappointing for me, starting with the new Summoning that I heard over a year ago now.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:13 am 

Yeah sorry guys, I'm not budging on Rule 2. If you listened to plenty of albums and decided that ten of them weren't worthy to be ranked highly, then you either suck it up and add filler at the end of the list, or write it off as a weak year and try again next time. If you didn't even listen to ten metal albums this year, then you're essentially trying to help decide the best of something that you don't really know anything about (that being metal albums in 2018 specifically). According to the site, there were 14,963 releases in the allowed formats this year. Even listening to 1% of them can be a challenge, sure, but if you couldn't even manage .06%, then you are frankly unqualified.

Also can't help but notice that any time somebody says they want the extra two weeks, it's because there is one specific album they're personally excited for that they already seem to know will be in their top 10 anyway.

That said, I'm very impressed with how close the deadline poll is. I really didn't expect it to be such a horse race. Very exciting!

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:25 am 

Everyone voting for the 1st of January is officially a sociopath.

As for people agonising over the ranking of their own lists, here is a secret tip: stop caring so much. Your list shouldn't take more than five minutes to put together.

Bachstein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:16 am 

zeingard wrote:
As for people agonising over the ranking of their own lists, here is a secret tip: stop caring so much. Your list shouldn't take more than five minutes to put together.

Well, I do not agree. It does take much time for me even to collect and oranize all the albums I've listened to this year and which I liked that much, that it would make it into the Top 10. Maybe the first 2-3 places is easier, since one should feel which albums are the best, but putting the rest in order is not an easy task. Even to compare totally diferent albums, for example a funeral doom and a black metal one. Both could be great regarding their own genre, but it would be such a bad attitude to list them randomly. Somehow you have to make a reasonable list (from your own point of view) and it does take time for me. I couldn't do it in five minutes.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:58 am 

Actually I really wanted to be part of this in 2018, but to be honest - I can't name 10 albums this year that I REALLY liked enough to create a perfectly honest list.

Listening some more, but not sure if I can manage it.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Bachstein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:36 am 

CannibalCorpse wrote:
Actually I really wanted to be part of this in 2018, but to be honest - I can't name 10 albums this year that I REALLY liked enough to create a perfectly honest list.

Listening some more, but not sure if I can manage it.

I kinda feel that this year wasn't that strong, like 2017 regarding the overwhelming metal albums, but still... cannot even name 10 albums? How many albums have you listened to this year?
I wonder whether you will find some interesting gems among the final list, once it is published, so you just overlooked them, or really didn't like them that much.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:50 am 

Bachstein wrote:

I kinda feel that this year wasn't that strong, like 2017 regarding the overwhelming metal albums, but still... cannot even name 10 albums? How many albums have you listened to this year?
I wonder whether you will find some interesting gems among the final list, once it is published, so you just overlooked them, or really didn't like them that much.

Well, me too. 2017 had more going for it. I've listened to a lot of of music this year, but many of it being older stuff. Not too keen on many new ones.

I'll be trying to get into a few things I missed, but I can hardly promise a satisfying final list.

Also, I'm not too keen on all the retro-DM, prog and especially not on the tons of stoner metal CDs that seem to have popped up everywhere this year.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:50 am 

I also agree that this year made it pretty easy to choose 10. Last year was very strong, but this year might even be better. If you had enough time to check out even just the most talked about albums of 2018 on this forum alone, you should have no problem picking 10.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:00 am 

Well yeah I did enjoyed this year a lot more than 2017, It is no easy task to arrange a top 10 list but I think I have it pretty much figured out.

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

Bachstein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:30 pm 

How many albums have you gathered in your first draft?

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:42 pm 

Bachstein wrote:
How many albums have you gathered in your first draft?

Aw man I'm at top 20 atm but I'm going back and forth with some of the honorable mentions, I have about 38 records I REALLY liked this year. But yeah I guess the top 10 spots are pretty much done.

Edit: It's important to note that my first draft was made a few weeks ago.

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:34 pm 

Bachstein wrote:
zeingard wrote:

Well, I do not agree. It does take much time for me even to collect and oranize all the albums I've listened to this year and which I liked that much, that it would make it into the Top 10. Maybe the first 2-3 places is easier, since one should feel which albums are the best, but putting the rest in order is not an easy task. Even to compare totally diferent albums, for example a funeral doom and a black metal one. Both could be great regarding their own genre, but it would be such a bad attitude to list them randomly. Somehow you have to make a reasonable list (from your own point of view) and it does take time for me. I couldn't do it in five minutes.

I'm going to assume you're being earnest, in which case my advice still sticks. Don't overthink it, just throw the list together and come back to it like a week later and see if you agree with it. Sitting there for an extended period of time agonising over rankings is fruitless, maddening and a waste of your time. It's just a list.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:08 pm 

I'm a little surprised at how many people apparently wait until nearly the end of the year to start a ranking. I keep a running list of albums I've heard in rough order and another of albums coming out that I'd like to hear, and I add and subtract from both throughout the year as time permits. I guess I could just look back at my history instead, but that seems less organized and efficient.

I picked the middle option, why not allow an extra week for albums that came out towards the end. This year in particular I'm going to really keep an eye out for surprises towards the end, as I haven't found as much to enjoy this year. I can make a fine list, but it's been a little on the disappointing side compared to last year for me.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:50 pm 

I've only listened to one 2018 release the whole year. Lol I am the wrong guy to be voting on any album.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:59 pm 

I rate all the albums I've listened to in an excel spreadsheet as I go through the year because I'm a turbo-nerd. That way, I just have to sort by the rating column from highest to lowest, do a little finessing, and voila.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next