PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:43 am 

ModusOperandi wrote:
A statement from the band:

Here:
https://www.facebook.com/cannibalcorpse/posts/10156303252694055

Quote:
Cannibal Corpse
20/12/2018 8:00

As a band and as individuals, we all want nothing but the best for our brother and partner, Pat. While we can offer no further information about the incident, we wanted everyone to know that Pat is getting the help he needs and appreciates the love and support from Cannibal Corpse fans around the world.

Pat is currently with family and friends and looks forward to a healthy return at some point. For anyone wondering, all Cannibal Corpse touring will happen as planned and all shows will be played.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:25 pm 

It's really something that Cannibal Corpse's statement on a bad situation was infinitely more tactful and classy than ManOwaR's.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:55 pm 

thrashinbatman wrote:
It's really something that Cannibal Corpse's statement on a bad situation was infinitely more tactful and classy than ManOwaR's.

Says a lot about the band dynamic. Cannibal comes off as a big family who all deeply care about one another and just want their spiritual brother to get the help he needs, while Manowar comes off as a business entity dealing with an employee accused of egregious misconduct.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:49 am 

Not to mention that pat is having drug/mental issues and Karl did what he did with all his wits about him. Pretty huge contrast.

I personally would distance myself from Karl as much as possible too. How can you fault Manowar for that?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:15 am 

Putting myself in the perspective of a long-time band member, I'd certainly take the opportunity to share some feelings about the situation. I'd feel extremely betrayed if someone I had been working with closely was guilty of something like that. Manowar didn't really distance themselves from Karl as much as they just brushed the entire episode aside, like it was some session live member announcing their departure, demanding no statement other than assurances that the show will go on.

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:48 am 

If he's recovering with family I guess it was a mental snap. I had put all my money on methed up, Florida Man. Hard to tell the difference between psychosis and drug induced psychosis.

- Tim Minchin

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:54 am 

I hate to be that guy, but it's pretty telling that some folks automatically jumped to drugs as opposed to possible mental illness or mental breakdown. People are pathetically ignorant and uninformed about mental illness and don't take it seriously enough imo.

As someone who suffers from mental illness, I'd hate to think if one day I snapped people would assume that I was a druggie or was trying to cook meth and it went awry

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

OlioTheSmall

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:04 pm 

I've known a lot of people with mental illness and still thought it was drugs. The marks on his face are really associated with amphetamine abuse.

- Tim Minchin

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:14 pm 

OlioTheSmall wrote:
I've known a lot of people with mental illness and still thought it was drugs. The marks on his face are really associated with amphetamine abuse.

It also could've been from tussling with the police. Dude's lucky he isn't dead

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

OlioTheSmall

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:47 pm 

*repeat Droneriot's joke from earlier*

- Tim Minchin

Raindream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:30 pm 

Lol more whites were killed last year by cops than blacks and Hispanics combined. Shut the fuck up.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:00 pm 

More whites are killed by police if you go by numbers alone, but the number of blacks and Hispanics is quite higher when factoring in percentages and population demographics. Please don't be short sighted.

Raindream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:33 pm 

You mean, each death in a smaller community has a greater stasticial effect when looked at in ratio?! Wow, I had no idea! I feel differently about everything now!

Sorry for being short-sighted M-A, the cops are definitely nazis!

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:36 pm 

PluviaSomniums wrote:
You mean, each death in a smaller community has a greater stasticial effect when looked at in ratio?! Wow, I had no idea! I feel differently about everything now!

Sorry for being short-sighted M-A, the cops are definitely nazis!

This has nothing to do with this thread. Take it somewhere else.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:43 pm 

a5tr0_Z0mb13 wrote:
Mike Scheidt had diverticulitis: nothing to do with crazy amounts of dope. He also had health insurance.

Yes, thank you. I thought the junkie accusations you responded to were quite misplaced.

PluviaSomniums, keep that shit outta here, please, as cultofkraken suggested.

I'm sort of surprised that I read through this whole thread and nobody brought up the explanation that seems very likely to me: the guy has had long-running mental health issues, they were potentially causing him some problems during the recent tour, and a change in medication caused this. I've seen and heard of some pretty severe episodes resulting from sudden changes in mental health medication regimes. The fact that he was in the anti-suicide vest and then got cleared for bail based on a drugs test seems to suggest something like this.

Poor guy. He probably should not have access to such an arsenal, and I hope he gets the help he clearly needs. Glad he made it out of that alive, and that no one else got hurt.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:16 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
a5tr0_Z0mb13 wrote:
Mike Scheidt had diverticulitis: nothing to do with crazy amounts of dope. He also had health insurance.

Yes, thank you. I thought the junkie accusations you responded to were quite misplaced.

PluviaSomniums, keep that shit outta here, please, as cultofkraken suggested.

I'm sort of surprised that I read through this whole thread and nobody brought up the explanation that seems very likely to me: the guy has had long-running mental health issues, they were potentially causing him some problems during the recent tour, and a change in medication caused this. I've seen and heard of some pretty severe episodes resulting from sudden changes in mental health medication regimes. The fact that he was in the anti-suicide vest and then got cleared for bail based on a drugs test seems to suggest something like this.

Poor guy. He probably should not have access to such an arsenal, and I hope he gets the help he clearly needs. Glad he made it out of that alive, and that no one else got hurt.

That was honestly my first assumption; I know enough people who have sworn up and down that the dude would never dream of touching hard drugs and really wouldn't even reliably touch anything above a Jack and Coke, which made me skeptical that it was meth. On the other hand, I've witnessed some incredibly destructive manic phases from several people in my life, and like Kanye West (who has all the hallmarks of badly-managed bipolar) and that woman who texted a onetime hookup 65,000 times and was arrested after she broke into his house, this definitely struck me as a shining example of a really bad manic phase. It's possible that he either changed dosages or medications right after he got home, ran out and couldn't get a refill in time, or otherwise had something go down that affected his ability to remain stable. Yeah, the dude had a LOT of guns, I'll give you that, but aside from the sawed-off shotgun, he's always seemed like a pretty responsible owner if you overlook the quantity.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:03 am 

Sure, you can be the most responsible gun owner in the world, but if you've got mental health issues that can lead to suicidal ideation (either on their own or through medication interactions), having ready access to a wide variety of ways to effectively kill yourself might not be the best thing for you.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:26 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Sure, you can be the most responsible gun owner in the world, but if you've got mental health issues that can lead to suicidal ideation (either on their own or through medication interactions), having ready access to a wide variety of ways to effectively kill yourself might not be the best thing for you.

Yeah I’d have to agree.. mental illness and guns do not mix.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:42 am 

Which is why when background checks are done for gun purchases, any reports of mental illness are usually a guaranteed disqualifier.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:18 am 

Well thanks to privacy laws, mental illnesses aren't exactly put on your resume since they're none of anyone's business, which is a good thing in 99% of all cases. Cases like this one are the remaining 1%.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:26 am 

I've been institutionalized before, I'm unfamiliar with the laws, how would this affect my ability to get a license and firearm?

BastardHead wrote:

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:12 am 

I wanted to test that myself actually, since I was separated from the military with a code 2311 (which is just general "mental illness" code with no specifics) and a reentry code of RE-04 (meaning that I can never ever ever enlist again, even in the event of a compulsory draft or an alien invasion). I applied for a FOID card to see how rigorous the background check was. Turns out the only actual obstacle is a $40 application fee, because I got that shit in the mail a week later with absolutely no hangups and without lying on the application at all. I feel like I'm stable enough to own a gun with no issues but the point is that those things should at least raise a few flags and warrant a few questions getting asked, I'd reckon.

Granted, the checks for actually purchasing a firearm are more stringent to my knowledge, but I'm not about to drop a couple hundo on that experiment. And either way, the loopholes to avoid those checks via gun shows/conventions and private sales are among the most well known workarounds in the history of American law so even if Pat has a diagnosable condition that should disqualify him during a background check I imagine it'd be easy to get a license legally and then even easier to abuse loopholes to buy whatever he wanted without a background check.

Like others have said though, Pat has always struck me as a responsible gun owner outside of the sheer quantity he's amassed over the years, but I'm not about to begrudge somebody for simply having an obsessive hobby.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Mass Suicide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:08 am 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
But you can get some wild stuff. https://throwflame.com/flamethrowers/

Quote:
No job too big

Our flamethrowers are designed from the ground up to tackle a job of any size.

Prescribed agricultural burns
Ground clearing
Snow and ice removal
Incinerating weeds and pesky insect hives
Pyrotechnic events and movie props
Firefighting and training
Grassland management

Awesome. Yeah, sure, if I have a bit of ice on my parking lot I am not using some salt or hot water, but a fucking World War 1 flamethrower instead!

I mean, if you have some weed to kill in your garden you can get one of these over here, more than enough firepower for such a job I would say:

https://www.hornbach.ch/shop/Abflammger ... tikel.html

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:18 am 

What good is the Hornbach one if it isn't napalm compatible?

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:48 am 

D4nzig wrote:
What the fuck's wrong about Florida and it people? Is there some secret ingredient in the water supply or something?

Even though this is from three weeks ago, better late than never...

Florida woman attempts robbery of a mailman with a toy gun and flees the scene on a Tricycle. ... .ONLY in Florida

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:19 am 

As for “what’s going on with Florida”: I think I read somewhere that Florida has different laws related to the journalistic release of information on active cases, which makes it easier to find insane storie to write about. Second, there’s the fact that Florida is the third-most populous state, with 21 million people, so with an aggregation of that many people, there are bound to be more bizarre cases. The increased amount of attention on the “Florida man” meme means that everybody is constantly trawling Florida news to post things like this, whereas similar occurrences in other US states get ignored because they’re not from the right place. Finally, a lot of Florida man headlines are faked for this exact reason, an attempted cash-in on the meme surrounding Florida. There’s a lot of factors at play, but none of them really indicate that there’s something in the water, rather just that there’s a self-perpetuating effect because local journalism is a leech hungry for attention.

EDIT: a few sentences here and there, hence my post doesn’t align with what’s quoted below.

Last edited by MutantClannfear on Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:21 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
As for “what’s going on with Florida”: I think I read somewhere that Florida has different laws related to the journalistic release of information on active cases, which makes it easier to find those insane storie to write about. Second, there’s the fact that Florida is the third-most populous state, with 21 million people, so with an aggregation of that many people, there are bound to be more bizarre cases. The increased amount of attention on the “Florida man” meme means that everybody is constantly trawling Florida news to post things like this, whereas similar occurrences in other US states get pushed under the rug. Finally, a lot of Florida man headlines are faked for this exact reason, an attempted cash-in on the meme surrounding Florida. There’s a lot of factors at play, but none of them really indicate that there’s something in the water.

Yup, I've heard this too. Florida has become such a meme already that it naturally gets more attention based on that. But weird-ass stories happen everywhere.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:13 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I wanted to test that myself actually, since I was separated from the military with a code 2311 (which is just general "mental illness" code with no specifics) and a reentry code of RE-04 (meaning that I can never ever ever enlist again, even in the event of a compulsory draft or an alien invasion). I applied for a FOID card to see how rigorous the background check was. Turns out the only actual obstacle is a $40 application fee, because I got that shit in the mail a week later with absolutely no hangups and without lying on the application at all. I feel like I'm stable enough to own a gun with no issues but the point is that those things should at least raise a few flags and warrant a few questions getting asked, I'd reckon.

Granted, the checks for actually purchasing a firearm are more stringent to my knowledge, but I'm not about to drop a couple hundo on that experiment. And either way, the loopholes to avoid those checks via gun shows/conventions and private sales are among the most well known workarounds in the history of American law so even if Pat has a diagnosable condition that should disqualify him during a background check I imagine it'd be easy to get a license legally and then even easier to abuse loopholes to buy whatever he wanted without a background check.

Like others have said though, Pat has always struck me as a responsible gun owner outside of the sheer quantity he's amassed over the years, but I'm not about to begrudge somebody for simply having an obsessive hobby.

I go to a lot of gun shows and the large majority of sellers are FFL licensed dealers who will have to run you. Though you always have individuals selling off the collection, and those acting like that is all they are doing. The actual check is pretty simple if you lie on the form and have no public felonies or whatnot the ATF will notice when running your info. If you are a pot smoker but just don't check yes to "are you addicted to drugs" they have no idea if that is true, same with the "are you crazy" question. And even when caught committing a crime by lying on that form rarely are charges brought.

Seems to me like Pat was a shotgun collector based on how many he apparently had. Bad idea on the sawed off one. Get better and back to shredding Pat! Glad I got to see him live with CC again last month. Pat not in CC just isn't right.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:02 pm 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/cannib ... ing-tours/

Erik Rutan confirmed as the official fill-in for the tour.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:05 pm 

Called it.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:23 pm 

^Where?
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:44 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/cannibal-corpse-recruits-guitarist-erik-rutan-for-upcoming-tours/

Erik Rutan confirmed as the official fill-in for the tour.

I'm stoked Rutan will be filling in for O'brien on the upcoming tours. Erik is an awesome musician and it makes sense for him to fill in since he is very familiar with CC's material. Hopefully Pat will get the help he needs and he can return to the band in the near future.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:58 am 

I know it won't happen, but I would like to see Rutan collaborate with CC musically, and get some of that Ripping Corpse sound combined with the brutal sound of CC. More off-kilter morbid riffs please

Perhaps.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:14 am 

Ripping Corpse riffs by Erik Rutan are about as likely as a new black metal album by Ulver or Carcass doing some goregrind.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:21 am 

... or Cannibal Corpse trying something different.

I'm out of the loop with Rutan post Ripping Corpse. Only thing with him I've heard is Dreaming, and that EP.

Perhaps.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:25 am 

To be fair, nobody knows what he's done as a guitarist since Ripping Corpse broke up because he's become a drum showcase tape producer since then and every album he's produced you can only hear extremely loud drums and some very, very distant background hum that might or might not be other instruments.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:33 am 

Ripping Corpse was Shaune Kelley's vision, and Erik will tell you that. Also, the production on Upon Desolate Sands was excellent, and Infernus' production did a far better job at being raw and nasty than Fury & Flames' did. Erik's strength as a producer lies more in the fact that there are some bands that he just understands really well and can get great performances out of, namely Cannibal and Goatwhore. It's definitely worth noting that the modern Cannibal and Goatwhore albums that were done without him (A Skeletal Domain and Vengeful Ascension) were not as well-received as the ones with him.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:30 am 

...yet A Skeletal Domain has the highest average review score of their last 7 albums here on MA.

I think it's the best of their last 3, anyway.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:51 am 

SculptedCold wrote:
...yet A Skeletal Domain has the highest average review score of their last 7 albums here on MA.

I think it's the best of their last 3, anyway.

It was one of those albums that was well-received at the time, but didn't settle particularly well. The general current word-of-mouth and online reception definitely pinpoints it as the weakest post-Owen Cannibal and the weakest 2000s/2010s Cannibal outside of Gore Obsessed. It's not bad at all, but it is definitely frontloaded and has some weak tracks.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4