Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:50 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
So, let me get this straight. His house caught fire, shit started exploding (zombie apocalypse provisions?), he rushes out of there, goes to a nearbby house, runs past the protesting grandma and ignoring the family living there telling him to leave, goes and hides behind a bush. Then attacks the police with a knife.

What the fuck man.

:lol:

I'm not even gonna read the links to see if this account is accurate. It's the story I want to believe.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:19 am 

He literally made zero of that up. He actually made it less weird by not pointing out that the fire at his house was so hard to put out because he had two flamethrowers inside and all of his ammo (he's an avid gun enthusiast) started exploding. Meaning the firefighters actually had to take up defensive positions because the fire was shooting at them.

Florida Man, I tell ya.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Mass Suicide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:27 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Meaning the firefighters actually had to take up defensive positions because the fire was shooting at them.

I am not a ballistic expert, but if you throw a cartridge into fire it just explodes, without the shaft and the pressure from the bolt the bullet has no direction. But still, of course a very dangerous and unclear situation for a firefighter.

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:36 am 

Mass Suicide wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Meaning the firefighters actually had to take up defensive positions because the fire was shooting at them.

I am not a ballistic expert, but if you throw a cartridge into fire it just explodes, without the shaft and the pressure from the bolt the bullet has no direction. But still, of course a very dangerous and unclear situation for a firefighter.

that is indeed true, the temperature is too low and since it are propellants and not explosives (assuming he has modern smokeless powdered ammo) the ammo will cook off, meaning they pop loudly but don't fly away since there is not enough pressure build up in the chamber from a gun. but I bet it will sound quite scary. And if he has tracer ammo, quite a bit of a different story.
any news on CC's front?
Pat looks in the pictures quite cleanly shaven etc. which is not what most junks this fucked up would be though, not sure what happened to him...

Mass Suicide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:37 am 

Rompestromper wrote:
Pat looks in the pictures quite cleanly shaven etc. which is not what most junks this fucked up would be though, not sure what happened to him...

Shaven or not, the guy is definitively wasted:

https://youtu.be/EEizCdahIyM

Ok, the spots on the skin could be from the fire etc., but it looks more like meth abuse to me. Also check his mouth, he has trouble keeping it calm. Typical for amphetamines (or bad cocaine).

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:57 am 

Reading about the "anti-suicide vest" I realized I have no idea what it is, so I googled and it's a vest that cannot be torn so the prisoner cannot make a noose and kill himself. Which is weird for Pat, cause nowhere in the story does it say anything about harming himself. Seems more like he was paranoid about his life than anything else. From comments I saw online, it could be meth or some other drug or it could be a nervous breakdown or psychotic episode (I remembered Timo Tolkki's worst years). Or it could be both.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:32 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Reading about the "anti-suicide vest" I realized I have no idea what it is, so I googled and it's a vest that cannot be torn so the prisoner cannot make a noose and kill himself. Which is weird for Pat, cause nowhere in the story does it say anything about harming himself. Seems more like he was paranoid about his life than anything else. From comments I saw online, it could be meth or some other drug or it could be a nervous breakdown or psychotic episode (I remembered Timo Tolkki's worst years). Or it could be both.

Just a precaution based on the fact he charged at police with a knife for a possible suicide by cop which obviously failed.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:21 pm 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/cannib ... pjyRrji6is

The drug hypothesis is seeming more and more likely.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:41 pm 

To save you all the trouble, that article had literally one paragraph of new information:

Quote:
The owner of the home where O'Brien was arrested wouldn't go on camera but told ABC Action News he thought the guitarist was hallucinating when he spoke to him about the "rapture" and claimed, "someone was after him." The homeowner added O'Brien seemed scared and at one point even hid in his closet.

Again, nothing is concrete about this. This was just the guy saying he "thinks" Pat was hallucinating. As many have stated, this could be drugs, could be a mental disorder (many of which can lead to hallucinations), or maybe someone really was after the guy! We still don't know how his house caught fire, so if the latter is true, it could be related.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:20 am 

What really throws me is that lots of people can confirm he was performing live perfectly up until a few days ago, which can't be a walk in the park when seriously impaired by drugs. If addiction was involved, can one really plunge from functional to full blown psycho in the blink of an eye like that? That's a genuinely scary thought.

I find this story honestly sad; sounds like the guy was having a full on PTSD episode. It's amazing nobody got seriously hurt or worse.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:11 am 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
If addiction was involved, can one really plunge from functional to full blown psycho in the blink of an eye like that? That's a genuinely scary thought.

All it takes is a two day binge, from my personal experience. Depending on the dosage, even less. If someone who's used to getting fucked up wants to get REAL fucked up, it can only take one evening.

Raindream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:46 am 

Interesting he was talking about the ‘rapture’. Maybe it was some kind of satanic sacrifice or cult ritual gone wrong? A full on Ninth Gate scenario? Dude’s been performing at such a high technical level for so long it’s hard to imagine him nursing a drug habit in the off season.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:34 am 

PluviaSomniums wrote:
Interesting he was talking about the ‘rapture’. Maybe it was some kind of satanic sacrifice or cult ritual gone wrong? A full on Ninth Gate scenario?

fear of covering morbid angel?

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:58 am 

Ī'm surprised the cops only tazed him when he came at them with that knife.

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:06 pm 

PluviaSomniums wrote:
Interesting he was talking about the ‘rapture’. Maybe it was some kind of satanic sacrifice or cult ritual gone wrong? A full on Ninth Gate scenario? Dude’s been performing at such a high technical level for so long it’s hard to imagine him nursing a drug habit in the off season.

Stimulants actually improve musical performance. It's no coincidence that the 80's were simultaneously the decade of cocaine and ultra fast speed metal

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:10 pm 

Yeah, I was going to say; it's incredibly naieve to think that someone can't be a drug addict and a professional musician. I mean, Lemmy did it for 50 fucking years.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:18 pm 

at the gaytes wrote:
Stimulants actually improve musical performance.

No. At least not in the here-discussed context of abuse/addiction. It works when they are taken one-off, yes, for that particular performance, but when taken daily they make you do worse. Fucking up your focus and making you mess up notes/strokes a lot more than you would have before.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

HH_allin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:40 pm 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
What really throws me is that lots of people can confirm he was performing live perfectly up until a few days ago, which can't be a walk in the park when seriously impaired by drugs.

Even GG-Allin usually took drugs after the show, well one fact being that he got paid so he was often out of money before the show and sober and aching for a fix. I think all of you guys should really take a walk on the wild side and see that this shit is perfect example of someone who has dabbled in drugs, goes for a heavy binger, fucks something up that sets his house on fire and i think from that he got full on panic attack, went into lizard brain survive mode and ended up in the neighbours yard. Why he had a knife thought is a mystery and overall very glad no one died. Btw this doesnt mean that he is just a meth head, he probably has an alcohol problem some fans i heard talk about and with long ass alcohol problem comes the thing of doing every drug people give to you and i think it's that kind of thing. Y'know he has done meth before but doesnt really binge on it unless on tour and someone gives it to him and then found himself at home partying like it's the tour of 89' and accidentally set his house on fire. If you are a hard partying metal motherfucker it's pretty easy to set your house on fire.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:59 pm 

schizoid wrote:

Nah, US cops generally save their bullets for black suspects.

This is such a bizarre fucking situation. I'm mostly glad nobody gut seriously hurt, as well as curious about what triggered the whole thing. Florida Man strikes again.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:00 pm 

I wonder how many guns and guitars were lost in that fire! :ugh:

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:07 pm 

This is a very sad story. What happen to Pat? Days earlier he has his head on straight and now this?

He's not a particularly easy member to replace based on band member's testimonials about him. According to Alex 'his rhythm sections are as hard or harder than other band's solos'.

I just can't really see him continuing in the band in any capacity after this, even if he miraculously avoids a fairly lengthy prison sentence.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:35 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
Yeah, I was going to say; it's incredibly naieve to think that someone can't be a drug addict and a professional musician. I mean, Lemmy did it for 50 fucking years.

Lemmy NEVER let it get out of hand though.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:12 pm 

Tazed With A Knife.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:22 pm 

Everyone I know who knows Pat personally has sworn up and down that the dude was never one to touch anything beyond a blunt, and given that the dude is a longtime gun owner and avid hunter, he would know full well that you don't mix substances and firearms like, ever. My money's on some kind of mental illness that he kept under control up until now, or something really serious going on in his life that kicked off a full mental breakdown. Yeah, a lot of this looks like meth psychosis, but I really don't think that that's what it is. If that many people say that you're not one to fuck with hard drugs and the wife of a dude who you've been in a band with for almost all of your adult life is just as shocked by this as everyone else is, I'm inclined to believe the people who say that it isn't meth.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:40 pm 

Deana Mazurkiewicz, the wife of Paul Mazurkiewicz has started a crowdfunding campaign for him since he pretty much lost everything in the fire:

Deana Mazurkiewicz wrote:
As most of you are aware on December 10, 2018, Pat O’brien’s house burned down. He lost everything he owns.

Pat is a standup guy, true to his friends, family and his band. Also Pat does not have insurance, and lost everything that he owns. These funds will help him get back on his feet with the regular much-needed necessities like clothing, a roof over his head, and other daily life necessities that are needed.

Understanding that money is tight for everybody, especially around the holidays but every amount does help. If it’s $1, $5 dollars, $20 or more. Every penny from this campaign will go directly to Pat.

If you’re a metal fan and you’ve had the honor of meeting Pat at a show, or elsewhere when he’s out and about then you know how friendly he is, and approachable. He would never start a campaign for himself, but I know he would be absolutely humbled by the support shown.

I asked that people not jump to conclusions until the full details of what occurred come out, and that you show Pat nothing but love and support and let him know that you’re there for him. Although the last 48 hours have been shocking to most people, they’ve been devastating to him.

Please feel free to share your pictures, your words and show your support. The changing of your profile pictures on Facebook has been very inspirational. The metal community is a tight one whether you know somebody personally or not ans your support is so much appreciated.

https://www.theprp.com/2018/12/13/news/ ... re-arrest/

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:08 pm 

No homeowners insurance? I'm guessing he owned the house.

Mind boggling.

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:45 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
No homeowners insurance? I'm guessing he owned the house.

Mind boggling.

The local news there said in their bit on the story that he was renting.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:56 pm 

Maybe worse. Renters insurance is crazy cheap, but maybe its more down in FLA.

Good luck to him but poor planning is going to make this hard on him. Hopefully they have a practice space or something where a lot of his gear is kept.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:08 am 

I'm starting to wonder if he wasn't disoriented because he was overcome with CO poisoning from the smoke. Just saying, exposure to smoke and the related CO could cause some disorientation and could've had him hallucinating.

Like your reviews?

Mass Suicide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:15 am 

It must be really difficult for CC to come up with a statement. The longer you wait, the worse it will be. Sad but true in these days.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:33 am 

Mass Suicide wrote:
It must be really difficult for CC to come up with a statement. The longer you wait, the worse it will be. Sad but true in these days.

Their legal staffers have likely advised them against it for the time being due to the cans of worms that it could potentially open.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:46 pm 

Been released on bail following a drug test.

Epicureo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:12 pm 

So mental breakdown or some insidious mental illness?
Things are not looking good either way.

Raindream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:00 pm 

Or, maybe someone actually was after him, and then torched his place when Pat got away?

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:26 pm 

PluviaSomniums wrote:
Or, maybe someone actually was after him, and then torched his place when Pat got away?

Yeah my first thought when someone's chasing me is to break into my neighbor's house and shove their grandma on the floor.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:20 am 

I think "grandma" was the one thing I got wrong in my description after first reading the original article. Or how I pictured it. It was "only" a normal couple and he shoved the woman down after she was yelling to him for running past her. Still seems crazy, erratic behaviour.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Epicureo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:47 am 

PluviaSomniums wrote:

Real life is stranger than fiction but that scenario seems highly unlikely.

Raindream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:15 am 

^ I mean agree, just trying to proffer other possible scenarios since everyone jumped on the drug addict/mental breakdown bandwagons. I know that’s far more likely and common but nobody really knows shit about what happened, really, and I’m just not keen on accepting the idea one of my guitar heroes has lost his shit so easily.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:11 pm 

schizoid wrote:

Yeah, it's almost as if cops aren't as fond of shooting white people or something.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:38 pm 

Is this guy going for the Will Rahmer award for Most Bewildering Legal Situation?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next