Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:42 pm 

Well, I mean if you're a fan of Pat you should be prepared for the possibility that he's not Mr. Guitar Hero. A lot of guys in these extreme metal bands are into some weird and fucked up shit. I'm not saying Pat is, but it's well within the realm of possibility that he could be a very strange person. I mean Glen Benton is essentially a sociopath, as an example. One of the older members of Nile was absolutely nuts. I could go on but you get my point.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:34 pm 

Newly released court documents show that CANNIBAL CORPSE guitarist Patrick "Pat" O'Brien made strange phone calls to his parents the day of his arrest, warning about "the rapture" and telling them that "aliens have landed."

O'Brien was arrested on December 10 on charges of aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer and burglary of an occupied dwelling with assault. Deputies say he burglarized a house and charged at a deputy with a knife.

O'Brien allegedly broke into a Northdale, Florida home on December 10 and shouted that "the rapture is coming" before pushing a woman to the ground. He ran toward a responding deputy with a knife and was subdued with a stun gun.

Less than half a mile from where O'Brien was arrested, a fire broke out at the house he was renting, sending flames billowing into the night sky from the roof.

Story continues after advertisement

According to the Tampa Bay Times, fire marshals found a large cache of weapon, locked safes and potential explosive devices inside O'Brien's home. The stash included about 50 shotguns — including one with a barrel illegaly sawed off to about an inch past the stock — 10 semiautomatic rifles including a couple of AK-47 variants, two Uzi-style rifles and 20 handguns. Also found at the house were two flame throwers as well as thousands of rounds of ammunition — stored in boxes, military-style metal cans and even ammunition belts — several other weapons and weapons parts and three skulls.

The day after the fire, a neighbor told News Channel 8 they believed O'Brien kept some sort of flamethrower at the house and practiced with it.

The owner of the home where O'Brien was arrested wouldn't go on camera but told ABC Action News he thought the guitarist was hallucinating when he spoke to him and claimed "someone was after him." The homeowner added O'Brien seemed scared and at one point even hid in his closet.

At a first appearance hearing on December 11, a Hillsborough County judge told the 53-year-old musician, clad in an anti-suicide vest with his hands and ankles chained together, that he would first have to pass a drug test before he would be allowed to post bail and leave jail.

O'Brien was released from Hillsborough County jail on Friday, December 14, after posting a $50,000 surety bond.

CANNIBAL CORPSE announced last week that it would be part of the next North American leg of SLAYER's farewell tour.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:38 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
I mean Glen Benton is essentially a sociopath, as an example.

What the hell are you talking about? :lol:

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:50 pm 

Great, so now he's just a lunatic. Aliens and the rapture? :lol:

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:51 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Great, so now he's just a lunatic. Aliens and the rapture? :lol:

Pretty sure he was having a very bad trip. But we'll most likely get more details on the situation in the next few weeks.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:26 am 

He should start a band with John Cyriis.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:50 pm 

The arsenal of weapons he had seems just a tad excessive.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:27 pm 

That short barrelled shotgun is a felony, unless he got the tax stamp, and that is the end of his lawful gun ownership days. Not to mention his apparent drug or mental issues.

Hope he gets the help he needs.

Epicureo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:46 pm 

Yep, he lost it.
MawBTS wrote:

Don't forget Peter Tägtgren and viewtopic.php?f=1&t=122622

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:53 pm 

MawBTS wrote:

I had to take up for Cyriis, but he is a long way from trying to stab a cop.

cweed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:06 pm 

traxan wrote:
Newly released court documents show that CANNIBAL CORPSE guitarist Patrick "Pat" O'Brien made strange phone calls to his parents the day of his arrest, warning about "the rapture" and telling them that "aliens have landed."

O'Brien was arrested on December 10 on charges of aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer and burglary of an occupied dwelling with assault. Deputies say he burglarized a house and charged at a deputy with a knife.

O'Brien allegedly broke into a Northdale, Florida home on December 10 and shouted that "the rapture is coming" before pushing a woman to the ground. He ran toward a responding deputy with a knife and was subdued with a stun gun.

Less than half a mile from where O'Brien was arrested, a fire broke out at the house he was renting, sending flames billowing into the night sky from the roof.

Story continues after advertisement

According to the Tampa Bay Times, fire marshals found a large cache of weapon, locked safes and potential explosive devices inside O'Brien's home. The stash included about 50 shotguns — including one with a barrel illegaly sawed off to about an inch past the stock — 10 semiautomatic rifles including a couple of AK-47 variants, two Uzi-style rifles and 20 handguns. Also found at the house were two flame throwers as well as thousands of rounds of ammunition — stored in boxes, military-style metal cans and even ammunition belts — several other weapons and weapons parts and three skulls.

The day after the fire, a neighbor told News Channel 8 they believed O'Brien kept some sort of flamethrower at the house and practiced with it.

The owner of the home where O'Brien was arrested wouldn't go on camera but told ABC Action News he thought the guitarist was hallucinating when he spoke to him and claimed "someone was after him." The homeowner added O'Brien seemed scared and at one point even hid in his closet.

At a first appearance hearing on December 11, a Hillsborough County judge told the 53-year-old musician, clad in an anti-suicide vest with his hands and ankles chained together, that he would first have to pass a drug test before he would be allowed to post bail and leave jail.

O'Brien was released from Hillsborough County jail on Friday, December 14, after posting a $50,000 surety bond.

CANNIBAL CORPSE announced last week that it would be part of the next North American leg of SLAYER's farewell tour.

If this is because of a serious mental illness, I really hope he gets help ASAP. Whatever he was experiencing sounds incredibly fucking terrifying.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:57 am 

cweed wrote:
If this is because of a serious mental illness, I really hope he gets help ASAP. Whatever he was experiencing sounds incredibly fucking terrifying.

This. People all over the internet have been having loads of laughs over this incident, but I really fail to see the funny side.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:59 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:

More troublesome is the 3 skulls he has kicking around (assuming they're human skulls).

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:20 am 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
cweed wrote:

This. People all over the internet have been having loads of laughs over this incident, but I really fail to see the funny side.

Yup, I've worked in the psychiatric field for nearly 15 years and this sounds like textbook schizophrenia to me.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:46 am 

Runko wrote:
Lord_Jotun wrote:
cweed wrote:

Yup, I've worked in the psychiatric field for nearly 15 years and this sounds like textbook schizophrenia to me.

That or a really serious manic episode.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:20 pm 

Yup.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:45 pm 

A statement from the band:

"As a band and as individuals, we all want nothing but the best for our brother and partner, Pat. While we can offer no further information about the incident, we wanted everyone to know that Pat is getting the help he needs and appreciates the love and support from Cannibal Corpse fans around the world.

Pat is currently with family and friends and looks forward to a healthy return at some point. For anyone wondering, all Cannibal Corpse touring will happen as planned and all shows will be played."

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:45 pm 

Hope Pat recovers completely. God bless him.

I am curious about who will replace him for this farewell Slayer tour though. I think the best option is Jack Owen. It just makes sense all-around.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:50 pm 

My money is still on Rutan, though Owen is an obvious second choice. They seem to imply that as soon as he's healthy again he'll be back in the band, so if they're just going for a temporary fill-in, the guitarist and close friend who has produced like four of their last five albums seems like the easiest choice. The guitarist and by all accounts still great friend who knows all of the classic material by heart and is obviously skilled enough to learn and play the hyper technical shit Pat wrote is an easy close-second choice. I won't be surprised if either of them get the gig.

Though remember when Owen left they got the ginger guy from Origin to fill in and then didn't sign him on full time because they "didn't want him to relocate his family", so you never know.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:55 pm 

It's an extremely long shot, but Jeff Loomis could do it. He stayed friends with Pat long after he left Nevermore and is cool with the rest of the Cannibal guys, and he understands a lot of Pat's nuances and could play his stuff without breaking a sweat. Weirder things have happened.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:18 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
My money is still on Rutan, though Owen is an obvious second choice. They seem to imply that as soon as he's healthy again he'll be back in the band, so if they're just going for a temporary fill-in, the guitarist and close friend who has produced like four of their last five albums seems like the easiest choice. The guitarist and by all accounts still great friend who knows all of the classic material by heart and is obviously skilled enough to learn and play the hyper technical shit Pat wrote is an easy close-second choice. I won't be surprised if either of them get the gig.

I'm personally not convinced Rutan can play all of Pat's crazier stuff. The suggestion of Loomis above is closer to a good fit if that is the goal. If the goal is to go out and play a CC greatest hits tour, most any above average death metal guitarist could fit the bill.

Quote:
Though remember when Owen left they got the ginger guy from Origin to fill in and then didn't sign him on full time because they "didn't want him to relocate his family", so you never know.

He was a terrible choice for the band and I'm glad they came to their senses and parted ways. He must be a very nice guy to have made it that far in the process, because his playing was far from where it needed to be.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:18 pm 

Frank Booth wrote:
It's an extremely long shot, but Jeff Loomis could do it. He stayed friends with Pat long after he left Nevermore and is cool with the rest of the Cannibal guys, and he understands a lot of Pat's nuances and could play his stuff without breaking a sweat. Weirder things have happened.

Jeff is a monster - he's my favorite guitarist. It would be sick if he joined them for this tour.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:04 pm 

Jeff is busy with the Arch Enemy tour.

Plus, if that coont Angela wouldn't let Jeff do a one-off Nevermore reunion she won't allow this.

Not to mention Pat was fired from Nevermore, although by Warrel and not Jeff. Somehow I think being replaced by Jeff would hurt a little and he doesn't need that.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:14 pm 

I'd wager Rutan is more than capable of playing at Pat's level. Yes his riffing style doesn't get quite as absurd generally but get a load of his soloing chops and it makes it pretty clear that he can stand toe to toe, plus having worked with Pat so closely in the past means he probably understands some of the necessary intricacies that some others might not. Here's hoping Pat works out whatever's going on now but I'd more than happy with seeing CC perform with Rutan in particular.

Raindream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:11 pm 

The connection between Loomis and O’Brien is 1 album, tenuous at best, they’re pretty disparate players style-wise. Kind of be a random pick, there. Rutan would be fucking amazing if he’s up for it. Whoever it is had better start hitting the books fast, though:

They can’t touch Jack O since he played with nazis after he last left.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:12 pm 

Pat played a straight neoclassical shred lead on "The Murderer's Pact" and I know that he and Jeff stayed in touch. Rutan could also play the Pat songs that they play live, since they won't touch "Frantic Disembowelment" or any of the other really ridiculous ones, but I'm pretty sure that it would conflict with his Mana schedule.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:43 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:

I feel about him raising money the same way I felt when Mike Scheidt started a crowdfunding campaign after destroying his body with hard drugs. It's great that they have been in bands successful enough to buy all this stuff. In Pat's case: crazy amount of guns, in Mike's case: crazy amount of dope. I don't give a shit, buy what you want with my money. You fucking earned it.

But when that comes back to haunt you after a disaster makes you realize you should have used the money like an actual adult and bought insurance or put money into savings, I have zero sympathy. You've made a living off of fans like us buying your music, merch, and concert tickets, and after you royally fuck up you have the balls to ask for more?

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:51 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:

:oh shit:

xxld1k
The Sweetest Summer Child EVER!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:43 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

I feel about him raising money the same way I felt when Mike Scheidt started a crowdfunding campaign after destroying his body with hard drugs. It's great that they have been in bands successful enough to buy all this stuff. In Pat's case: crazy amount of guns, in Mike's case: crazy amount of dope. I don't give a shit, buy what you want with my money. You fucking earned it.

But when that comes back to haunt you after a disaster makes you realize you should have used the money like an actual adult and bought insurance or put money into savings, I have zero sympathy. You've made a living off of fans like us buying your music, merch, and concert tickets, and after you royally fuck up you have the balls to ask for more?

Well, Pat isn't asking for it. It was a nice gesture from a good friend.

https://www.last.fm/user/xxld1k

a5tr0_Z0mb13
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:54 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

Mike Scheidt had diverticulitis: nothing to do with crazy amounts of dope. He also had health insurance.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:06 am 

xxld1k wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

Well, Pat isn't asking for it. It was a nice gesture from a good friend.

Be that as it may, to my best recollection, the crowdfunding campaign includes a narrative along the lines of "please reserve judgement until the full story is out there". Turnabout is fair play-people are well within their prerogative to not donate until the full story is out there, then.

And just because renters insurance might be optional in the state you live in (I don't know for sure in FL, just hypothesizing), it's still relatively irresponsible to not have it. Narsilianshard is pretty dead on here, in this regard.

CoconutBackwards wrote:

Seriously.

traxan wrote:
...and three skulls.

Jeez.
Obliteration

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:41 pm 

Frank Booth wrote:
Rutan could also play the Pat songs that they play live, since they won't touch "Frantic Disembowelment" or any of the other really ridiculous ones, but I'm pretty sure that it would conflict with his Mana schedule.

Yeah, I agree.

I think it is safe to say no way Rutan or Loomis will fill this (temporary?) slot for the reasons stated by everyone above.

I think they will need a permanent replacement soon though. Pat is either going to jail or a mental hospital for a while, and then may have trouble entering other countries. I wish him all the best with his recovery and I'm very glad no one was seriously hurt, but I think it is clear that the two camps need to part ways to allow the other to prosper.

Mass Suicide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:21 pm 

It's cool that the band stands behind him. But again, A LOT of luck involved here. Not sure if he would still be a "brother" if he had pulled a Goatlord-Frankulin.

BURlAL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:22 pm 

So....meth?

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:34 pm 

I agree, his career is likely over. And he wasted all his money on guns.

AddWittyUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:38 pm 

BURlAL wrote:
So....meth?

Released on bail 14th of December. Posting bond was made dependent on passing a drugs test, so that presumably happened. Doesn't necessarily preclude *all* drug use and depends on the exact type of test used how long shit can still be found, but passing a drug test three-four days after arrest at least hints he's not a heavy/daily meth user, from what I can find on how long it takes for meth to pass from the system.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:24 pm 

Runko wrote:

Agreed, it's obvious this is some kind of psychosis. It's plausible Pat's had this condition for years, maybe he stopped taking his medications? In any case this makes me sad, poor guy.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:25 pm 

PluviaSomniums wrote:

Turns out that wasn't true, he posted on this forum to clear things up. He also seems like an obvious candidate if they want to go for someone close to the band.

I'm not sure what interest Loomis would have in doing this tour, but Arch Enemy is touring Japan with Chris Amott instead of him at the same time as this tour, though there's one show in the middle of that billed as Arch Enemy.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:51 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
PluviaSomniums wrote:

Turns out that wasn't true, he posted on this forum to clear things up. He also seems like an obvious candidate if they want to go for someone close to the band.

I'm not sure what interest Loomis would have in doing this tour, but Arch Enemy is touring Japan with Chris Amott instead of him at the same time as this tour, though there's one show in the middle of that billed as Arch Enemy.

I'm sure that if it's not Owen, Rutan, or Loomis, it's probably another longtime buddy of theirs. I wouldn't mind seeing Dallas Toler-Wade or Terrance Hobbs fill in for them, but I highly doubt it'll be either.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:07 am 

This is probably well known to most people, but I just found a very cool documentary on CC. Loomis says he thinks Pat was the best guitarist Nevermore ever had (I assume himself not included).

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next