Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:38 pm 

Not really interested in hearing the Bartushka album since this entire saga is fucking idiotic and he's really clearly the bad guy, but I've gotta say the Drabikowski version is very good. I really don't see any scenario where the usurpers get any positive press/reviews out of this unless the person being positive is either completely unaware of the situation or getting some payola in return. Even if it winds up being great, metalheads do not abide by this sort of shit. Have they forgotten how utterly and completely the scene turned against Gaahl and King when they tried to swipe Gorgoroth from Infernus in an almost identical manner? I've seen excuses for murder, Nazism, racism, rape apologia, et cetera, but god damn if the metal scene doesn't band together when it comes to scammers or thieves.

However, there is one ridiculous scenario that I really want to play out. According to the additional notes on the original band's page, the intent was actually to be ambiguous with regards to all of the theistic imagery. Whether or not they're sincerely religious or they were just using the themes and imagery in a twisted sense of blasphemy was never supposed to be clear, and instead left up to the listener to decide. I would never stop laughing if it turns out Drabikowski is genuinely Christian and Bart is the clever blasphemous one. The entire scene would have a collective aneurysm trying to reconcile that with themselves.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:57 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
According to the additional notes on the original band's page, the intent was actually to be ambiguous with regards to all of the theistic imagery. Whether or not they're sincerely religious or they were just using the themes and imagery in a twisted sense of blasphemy was never supposed to be clear, and instead left up to the listener to decide.

What a dumb, half-assed "message" to have - sounds like a bunch of gimmick garbage.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:10 pm 

Yeah the Drabikowski Batushka album is really, really good. A clear successor to the debut in every way.

The Bartushka (glad this is catching on) song I heard sounds like a clone band. It's serviceable, but when we have the real Batushka putting out heat, why bother?

Also, fuck Metal Blade.

~Guest 329938
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:27 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 329938 on Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:38 pm 

I love how Drabikowski is taking the Cobra Kai approach, strike first, strike hard, no mercy!

wednesdaysixx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:20 am 

So having finally caught up on reading everything in this thread. I really liked the first album (Litourgiya) and definitely see Панихида as the logical evolution in how it sounds and it sounds even better thus far, whilst Господи sounds like a half-hearted copy. Chapter I: The Emptiness - Polunosznica (Полунощница) sounds like a mess and the video felt very generic, like they knew what points to include but not why or how they connected. Песнь 1 crushed.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:38 am 

ambientsorrow wrote:
Nokturniis wrote:
Wow. If you take a look at Bandcamp's home page, the best selling album of ANY genre right now on Bandcamp is Drabikowski's Batushka album. Great to see the support.

I counted. 918 Bandcamp sales for Drabikowski compared to 41 so far for fat Bart. Haha.

Well I guess that's because Fartushka's album hasn't been released yet and it has only one song.

BlackSunBlood
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:47 am 

I found the account of the old drummer interesting and couldn't really see any obvious reasons for bias or motivation to lie.

It seems entirely possible that both guys helped original Batushka succeed in different ways, that Krzysztof was the musical force who was only treating it like a project, and then Bart came in with label connections and a stronger desire to play live and have a stage presence. I could see in that scenario why, regardless of who was the genesis of what, two guys could end up feeling like they were responsible for the success and deserve the name going forward. Both aspects of the band are what made it a success. You would think the music of course tops everything else in terms of importance, but with this band specifically you can make a case that it wouldn't be what it is without the live shows and imagery.

But then someone made me aware of a 2004 story where Bart was involved in another band and basically did the exact same thing, everyone fractured and all parties wanted to keep the band. Kind of hard to look good when you've been involved in a situation like this multiple times.

Of course musically between what they have each released now, Krzysztof wins that fight.

As they say, there are sides to every story and the truth is somewhere in the middle. I mostly believe that Bart is in the wrong, but the drummer's input made tangible for me the frustration the other parties might be feeling that Krzysztof is coming out of this looking like a saint and everyone flocking to his side, when maybe he acted like a shitty diva at other times and isn't exactly blameless either, and is suddenly acting like the band is precious to him when maybe without the input of others he never cared to get it off the ground.

Easiest thing of course is just someone having to move forward with a different band name, people know who is who at this point and if they want to follow a new project they will. But I can still understand neither of those guys shrugging their shoulders at losing the value built into the Batushka name.

VaeFUCKINGVictus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:22 pm 

The unfortunate thing is that you're exactly right. If the two personalities could get along, that combo is a recipe for success...

As it stands, we're looking at no longer being able to see the true Batushka live given Krzysztof's convictions, while having to suffer a touring Batushka that won't touch their debut anymore. Sigh. This could, and hopefully will change.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:08 pm 

I've never listened to this band, and I just read this whole thread from front to back. This is some juicy shit. This is like the Gorgoroth case on crack.

Obligatory Last FM Link

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:14 pm 

Anyone else note that the Drabikowski bandcamp album credits no one else but himself? That Bart dude seems like a pie hole, and the album is pretty good on first spin. But look at the full credits for it:

Quote:
Music composed, produced, recorded and mastered by Krzysztof Drabikowski at SPHIERATZ STUDIO, Sobolewo, Poland

That is the full list. No else on vocals, drums, other instruments? Anyone who helped mix or produce? No one else involved or worth crediting but yourself?

My take is both these dudes are turds. Bart more so, Krzysztof just writes better music.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:20 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
Anyone else note that the Drabikowski bandcamp album credits no one else but himself? That Bart dude seems like a pie hole, and the album is pretty good on first spin. But look at the full credits for it:

Quote:
Music composed, produced, recorded and mastered by Krzysztof Drabikowski at SPHIERATZ STUDIO, Sobolewo, Poland

That is the full list. No else on vocals, drums, other instruments? Anyone who helped mix or produce? No one else involved or worth crediting but yourself?

My take is both these dudes are turds. Bart more so, Krzysztof just writes better music.

That doesn't really mean anything. There are plenty of other Bandcamp album pages that don't list full credits either.

Nokturniis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:22 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:

Quote:

Not sure why you're making such a big deal out of that? There are plenty of people out there in one-man bands that literally do everything themselves. You can't really blame Drabikowski for wanting to do everything himself this time around considering how this whole mess started in the first place.

1. Elysian Blaze
2. Nortt
3. Black Magick SS
4. The Ruins Of Beverast
5. Urfaust

Nokturniis (Pure Ghastly Haunting Eerie Dungeon Synth) - https://nokturniis.bandcamp.com/

~Guest 329938
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:04 am 

l:

Last edited by ~Guest 329938 on Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arjan333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:41 am 

I still believe the only reason Batushka (who never even learned to spell their own band name correct) ever got picked up because Bart / Witching Hour Productions was unable to do his job as a label manager. That drummer defended him for being a good manager and taking control of the band and whatever, but it is bullshit. Dozens and dozens people got ripped off, never got their package, got the wrong items, got a package filled with only garbage (fact!). THAT is what gets people talking. A buzz on social media how many people never got their package, but others stating they did get it and how happy they are for it, makes other people curious and check it out. They also order something, about 50% of them also get ripped off and simply echo the previous statements. A good rippoff doesn't send any packages at all, but sends about half of them so some get through and this gets people talking among each other. That is the only reason why Batushka band got famous. It takes practical incompetence to stand out nowadays. Not musical qualities and talent. Whatever music these Polish dudes makes, all of it is boring, but is solely selling on the base of gimmicks and incompetence.

deopisi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:35 am 

Yeah, many peple had problems with Witching hour but... Come on...

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:49 am 

Arjan333 wrote:
I still believe the only reason Batushka (who never even learned to spell their own band name correct) ever got picked up because Bart / Witching Hour Productions was unable to do his job as a label manager. That drummer defended him for being a good manager and taking control of the band and whatever, but it is bullshit. Dozens and dozens people got ripped off, never got their package, got the wrong items, got a package filled with only garbage (fact!). THAT is what gets people talking. A buzz on social media how many people never got their package, but others stating they did get it and how happy they are for it, makes other people curious and check it out. They also order something, about 50% of them also get ripped off and simply echo the previous statements. A good rippoff doesn't send any packages at all, but sends about half of them so some get through and this gets people talking among each other. That is the only reason why Batushka band got famous. It takes practical incompetence to stand out nowadays. Not musical qualities and talent. Whatever music these Polish dudes makes, all of it is boring, but is solely selling on the base of gimmicks and incompetence.

This is bullshit. I literally never heard of the ripping offs until this drama came to light and I doubt most people even know about it.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:33 pm 

blackmantram wrote:
This is bullshit. I literally never heard of the ripping offs until this drama came to light and I doubt most people even know about it.

As far-reaching as that guy was, a ton of people did indeed get sent LITERAL trash in their packages instead of merchandise, literal trash with their merchandise (incomplete too), a lot got nothing at all. Check this out.

http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 63#1077063

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:56 pm 

TheMysticWombat wrote:
blackmantram wrote:

As far-reaching as that guy was, a ton of people did indeed get sent LITERAL trash in their packages instead of merchandise, literal trash with their merchandise (incomplete too), a lot got nothing at all. Check this out.

Has there ever actually been any other reports of this happening? It keeps getting mentioned but I've only seen that photo at NWN so far.

blackmantram wrote:
Arjan333 wrote:

Yeah, the previous post mekes zero sense.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:37 pm 

TheMysticWombat wrote:
blackmantram wrote:

Well, yeah, the ripping offs were real, I'm not denying them at all. But it seems people were blaming the label not the band. Although no one can really point out at the exact reason as to why they got so big, it's clearly not because they were a renowned bunch of thieves and scammers. If I'm not mistaken, the members remained unknown for the first few years.

PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 6:01 pm 

If you do some searching on the forum and find posts from 2015 regarding Batushka it's largely praise for the music. Obviously it takes more than Metal Archives popularity to get as big as Batushka has, but back then there was definitely a lot more discussion about how good the album was than about Witching Hour's ripoff activities. As a matter of fact I'd be tempted to say that the ripoff stuff became more visible because so many people were ordering Litourgiya and getting junk, rather than Batushka being more visible because of all the Witching Hour controversy. Perhaps a bit of a cycle, but the hype definitely came first.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:53 pm 

Well that's because in 2015 no one knew who was in Batushka. Bart was a just a rumor, there wasn't even enough evidence to list him in the lineup here on the archives:
https://www.metal-archives.com/history/ ... ter/lineup

Their identities only got confirmed when they started playing international shows in 2017.

PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:45 pm 

My point's just that Batushka's popularity was on the rise before the ripoff stuff came to light; the claim a few posts up that no one actually liked the music and that their popularity could be attributed to visibility from Witching Hour's bullshit is demonstrably false. Their initial anonymity has no bearing on that.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:25 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Well that's because in 2015 no one knew who was in Batushka. Bart was a just a rumor, there wasn't even enough evidence to list him in the lineup here on the archives:
https://www.metal-archives.com/history/ ... ter/lineup

Their identities only got confirmed when they started playing international shows in 2017.

Bart was already confirmed to be in the band in 2015. It wasn't a rumor.

GrayChild
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:32 am 

Krysiuk's Faketushka first live performance:

The only good thing about it was the ambient intro coming from the PA.

Also, LMAO at 4:38.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:40 pm 

lol how embarrassing

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:12 am 

You can skip to any part of it, and it will sound like they're playing the same song.

I know 8-string guitars are expensive, but that band sounds nothing like Batushka. Although I guess that's besides the point.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:31 pm 

So. Brutally. Boring.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

VaeFUCKINGVictus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:38 pm 

This battle is literally style over substance versus substance over style.

Some youtube comment said bart should become a "candle salesman". I was roaring.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:32 pm 

Oh man I'm getting hot and bothered looking at that like/dislike ratio. Now we only need Bartushka's album sales to fail miserably and the justice porn is complete.

Kelvap
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:12 pm 

Looks like Bart's version of the band has released a second song/video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9qIdRM3eTE

GrayChild
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:04 pm 

Kelvap wrote:
Looks like Bart's version of the band has released a second song/video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9qIdRM3eTE

"Brothers and sisters of the Orthodox church,
JUMPDAFUKUP in the name of our Lord and Savior!"

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:42 pm 

The live video has been taken down. Any reposts anywhere?

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Necrodictator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:01 pm 

Court decision overturned on appeal. Damn this keeps getting more and more entertaining.
https://www.facebook.com/story.php?stor ... &__tn__=-R

wednesdaysixx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:12 am 

Necrodictator wrote:
Court decision overturned on appeal. Damn this keeps getting more and more entertaining.
https://www.facebook.com/story.php?stor ... &__tn__=-R

If that’s true, Bart’s running away with it and Krzysztof has to rebrand.

Jabawock
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:19 am 

From what I understand, this is only a reversal of the court decision to forbid Bart from using the name Batushka until the case is settled. So now he can use the name again, but that's only until the court case is settled in one way or the other. So it's not like he won the legal battle or anything, it's only the beginning

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:28 am 

If Krys is forced to drop the Batushka monicker, I'm petitioning for his band to at least include the word Schism.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:09 am 

Jabawock wrote:
From what I understand, this is only a reversal of the court decision to forbid Bart from using the name Batushka until the case is settled. So now he can use the name again, but that's only until the court case is settled in one way or the other. So it's not like he won the legal battle or anything, it's only the beginning

And it’s not like Bart was obeying the court order anyway, so really this is more symbolic than anything else.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:05 pm 

I just love how this is between two guys named Bart and Derp.

wednesdaysixx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:52 am 

That Metal Blade support seems to help on YouTube at least

EDIT:I'd put Metal Force instead of Metal Blade.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next