Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:48 pm 

Someone gave this album as 75%. Even if you were ignoring it's origins (which you shouldn't, this not a case of separating art from the artist, it's straight up theft), how could you possibly listen to this monstrosity and think' "Hey, this a really solid release that add a bunch of elements that I purely imagined! 7.5/10 go buy it!"

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Subverter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:23 pm 

Burnyoursins wrote:
Someone gave this album as 75%

Some mongoloid gave Somewhere in Time a 65% yesterday. I learned a long time ago to tune out all reviews not written by autothrall, or at the very least, hells_unicorn.

BastardHead
Worse than the PMRC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:59 pm 

I don't care if somebody likes the album, not everybody can have good taste, but it's these lines that bother me:

Quote:
But are they fake? Well, legally speaking, this is the real deal. [...] Some even claim he should change the band's name, but in the end, he holds the rights to the project's name.

It blows me away that some people really seem to struggle with separating legality with morality. Yeah, legally Bart has the name, but anybody with a moral compass at all can tell that he wasn't the guy who actually started the band and he attained the rights to the name via incredibly underhanded means. It was theft, straight up, but it was theft that he was able to achieve via legal means. By no means does that make it less of an obvious theft.

wednesdaysixx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:11 am 

So, someone on a Facebook group was asking about this so I put the following:
“Like what you like. Plenty don’t like any of it. Панихида, for me, follows Litourgiya (or however it’s spelt) and I like both. I haven’t listened to Hospodi in full, nor do I intend to, what I heard didn’t appeal and I read too much into the context of it to give it a fair chance”.

I think the morality of it all seems well publicised, well-shared and well-discussed. Aside from BangerTV’s review Sarah did of them, the reviews I’ve seen seem to fit with common opinion here and my own thoughts on the music itself.
I feel like there’s not much more to say unless something happens, e.g. one band ends, name changes, reunion etc.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:49 am 

I dunno, I think it's pretty hard to give something a fair chance under these circumstances, and I don't really think it deserves it. Music aside, which is bland, unoriginal, and quite frankly not the least bit interesting, the dude is cashing in on someone else's vision, however poorly the execution of said vision was employed. I mean, legally speaking, they BOTH hold the rights to the band name until a court decision has been finalised, but when it really comes down to it, it was artistic theft committed via the legal system. How the fuck someone can just register anything as a trademark without concrete proof of ownership is just fucking mind-boggling.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:01 am 

Yeah I'll be real, separating this from judging Hospodi is not the way to go about it. The album literally would not exist without this situation arising, and its mere existence represents an ugly sentiment. Making the two even more inseparable is that like any album, the situation it was created in is reflected in its musical contents.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:04 am 

But... but... but... it's EVIL! Extreme music for and by extreme people! And thieving is a sin so it's just an embodiment of the sin of Satan and evil evilness!

Kidding and sillyness aside, I can't see a scenario where this version of the band is active with a record deal in 2 years.

Lord_Jotun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:52 am 

If the album tanks badly enough Metal Blade will never want to touch anything Bart gets his filthy hands on anymore, and that will be the moment Bartushka gets swept under the rug and Bart moves on to some other ploy to rake some cash from whomever might still be clueless enough to give him any credit.
This "band" has literally no purpose of existence outside of cashing in on the momentum built on the first record. There's no vision, no inspiration, no motivation beyond this.

I can't help finding this appalling.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:36 pm 

son of a bitch
Bartushka just announced a North American tour And the venues are fairly big in a few places
a ton of my acquaintances that know this band aren't even fucking aware of what's going on and they're thinking of going

HOW MUCH MONEY IS METAL BLADE INVESTING IN THIS LIE
HOPE THIS SHIT FLOPS
MODS, NUKE ANY THREAD SUPPORTING THIS IN THE TOURS SUBFORUM
SPREAD THE TRUTH

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:33 pm 

TheMysticWombat wrote:
Bartushka just announced a North American tour And the venues are fairly big in a few places.

This:
https://www.facebook.com/Batushkaband/photos/a.1006210292735290/2449836228372682/

Quote:

EchaWalki
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:47 am 

Everyone should just spam those Fb-eventpages, call for a boycot, tell the truth about this little ripoff Fartushka and share it everywhere. It happens all the time that entire tours get cancelled due to lack of pre-sales of tickets. If everyone knows the facts behind this and call for a boycot they won't sell any tickets and it will be cancelled in no time. DO IT!

Diplomate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:07 pm 

I read a statement that Bartushka's album is sold out. They don't seem to be doing bad concert-wise either. Is Bart winning?

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:55 pm 

Hah, I posted on the tour announcement page that this is the shit version that no one likes and to support Krzystof instead, and the deleted my post and blocked me. :lol:

NEW Valcove album Forge @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge. For fans of Aphex Twin, Autechre, ambient techno

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:30 pm 

Metalblade are really going all in on this album, I'm seeing it and the tour being pushed everywhere. I would have thought it was probably better just to bury it, but it will be interesting to see just what they can make of it.

Its weird. being that this is essentially underground music we are talking about, I thought to be aware of a band like this you would it would be inevitable that you would also know about the controversy surrounding it, but it seems Metalblade are actually just counting on b(r)and name alone.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:48 pm 

EchaWalki wrote:
Everyone should just spam those Fb-eventpages, call for a boycot, tell the truth about this little ripoff Fartushka and share it everywhere. It happens all the time that entire tours get cancelled due to lack of pre-sales of tickets. If everyone knows the facts behind this and call for a boycot they won't sell any tickets and it will be cancelled in no time. DO IT!

So the metal heads in Baltimore and the surrounding area is going a step further, planning to heckle and throw shit at Bart during the set. Got 32 people thus far saying they're going with another 32 interested.

https://www.facebook.com/events/736193190117040/

I've decided this is the only kind of collection in the world that matters.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:52 pm 

That is fucking hilarious. If someone starts that in Chicago I would legitimately consider joining.

NEW Valcove album Forge @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge. For fans of Aphex Twin, Autechre, ambient techno

ColdWindRider
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:31 am 

Subverter wrote:
Burnyoursins wrote:
Someone gave this album as 75%

Some mongoloid gave Somewhere in Time a 65% yesterday. I learned a long time ago to tune out all reviews not written by autothrall, or at the very least, hells_unicorn.

Another deaf idiot gave "Abigail" 19% score. Wtf with some people? They don't like metal? I mean really great metal.

Well, Batushka ( Bartushka ) sucks. Hospodi is a mediocre, typical product.

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:11 pm 

I'm stunned this is playing Delmar Hall. That is where bands like Overkill, Cannibal Corpse, and bands of that size play.

And 65% for SiT is being generous. Worst album of the classic Maiden run, more like a 50% since its mediocre.

:p

Cheapsteaks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:36 pm 

Buying tickets to heckle someone seems like getting tickets to a movie you'll hate watch, he's still getting money, though I guess with tickets the venue and others get a cut so it's not all going to his band.

Still this seems like it could bite metal blade in the ass to some degree given the (rightful) vitriol towards this band.

ite_maledicti
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:05 pm 

I made a post on Reddit with venue contact information for those of you that are disgruntled with Bart taking his "Batushka" on the road in North America. I've also created a page on my fan site for the real Batushka that has these dates as well. Links below. Please share the list out if you're so inclined.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Batushka/comme ... ates_with/

https://thetruebatushka.com/barts-na-tour-dates/

deopisi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:13 pm 

How is going Bartushka?
I remember tons of different vinyl editions

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:16 am 

ite_maledicti wrote:
I made a post on Reddit with venue contact information for those of you that are disgruntled with Bart taking his "Batushka" on the road in North America. I've also created a page on my fan site for the real Batushka that has these dates as well. Links below. Please share the list out if you're so inclined.

And black metal fans get their panties in a twist when the AntiFa tries to shut gigs down.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:03 am 

Both are shitty. One involves kneejerk reactions and possible violence/threats of, the other involves legal thievery.

Take your pick.

EchaWalki
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:10 am 

ite_maledicti wrote:

Great idea. Maybe even write a simple message for everyone to copy/paste and send to the venues?

peterott
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:40 am 

I like it, when new 3-posts members crave for boycotting other bands...

ite_maledicti
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:46 am 

matras wrote:
And black metal fans get their panties in a twist when the AntiFa tries to shut gigs down.

Haha, yeah. I feel like those are different situations than this though and I didn't actually mention getting the shows shut down. I honestly wouldn't mind it myself but really I'd just like 1) the venues to be informed of the situation and know a large segment of fans are unhappy with the band they booked (they have a right to know) and 2) the venue's to let fans know about the controversy before purchasing a ticket (like mentioning it in their promo material). And as a bonus it would be great if the venues contacted Metal Blade to ask questions.

This is just a way for the heat to filter up to Metal Blade and Bart.

ite_maledicti
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:52 am 

peterott wrote:
I like it, when new 3-posts members crave for boycotting other bands...

Haha, gotta start somewhere though. Just because my Metal Archives account only has ~3 posts doesn't mean my opinions aren't relevant or valid.

(and I'm assuming you're talking about me, ha)

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:58 am 

I actually think it's exactly the same type of "problem" if you compare it to the venue cancelling Mgla in Germany when they were informed about certain members affiliations/collaborations. That venue was informed (and no threat of violence was made) and the venue said they hadn't known and cancelled the gig.

And I need to stress this: I'm not saying I support what Bart did. I think his album is a bland mediocre mess. But there are people out there that probably think otherwise and don't care about the background of the band-theft; and if people get all antsy about antifascists informing the venue and not this? Well that says a lot I think.

ite_maledicti
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:47 pm 

matras wrote:
I actually think it's exactly the same type of "problem" if you compare it to the venue cancelling Mgla in Germany when they were informed about certain members affiliations/collaborations. That venue was informed (and no threat of violence was made) and the venue said they hadn't known and cancelled the gig.

And I need to stress this: I'm not saying I support what Bart did. I think his album is a bland mediocre mess. But there are people out there that probably think otherwise and don't care about the background of the band-theft; and if people get all antsy about antifascists informing the venue and not this? Well that says a lot I think.

While writing this response I realized I don’t actually know what point you were trying to get across when you said “And black metal fans get their panties in a twist when the AntiFa tries to shut gigs down” other than there’s some comparison to be made. It kind of follows the "and they thought *this* was bad" with eye-rolling type of sentiment. The *this* being antifa’s actions in the metal community. Are you trying to criticize the reaction to the Batushka situation by comparing it to the reactions to antifa actions in the metal scene? If so, it would follow that you have some criticism regarding people that complain about antifa.

It’s a little confusing because in your next reply you reference the Mgła incident and it seems like you take a stance that antifa does things that you don’t approve of (canceling the show). I’m not trying to figure out your stance on antifa (so feel free to not comment on that) but just highlighting that you drew comparisons between the topics but also made remarks that are seemingly a little contradictory so it's hard to understand the point you're making and so it’s also hard to respond to it.

That said, I don’t think comparing antifa’s political agenda with the Batushka controversy is a helpful way to look at the “contacting venues” call-to-action. If you remove the reasons of each group from the comparisons: antifa’s politics and the moral objections surrounding the Batushka case (which I think you should because they are completely different) all you have left is “people informing venues about some perceived negative thing regarding a band they booked” which is pretty vague and doesn’t warrant anything except shallow comparison. If that shallow comparison is all you were after then, yeah, I see it. But I don’t see how that should affect how people perceive and respond to the Batushka situation.

I understand there are people who, for whatever reason (ignorance, apathy, “it’s the music I care about”, etc.), will go to the show and enjoy themselves. That’s fine. I would just like them to know beforehand what the deal is so they can consider if they even care or not. Again, I’d like to point out that in my original post, I didn’t call for the venues to cancel the shows. In my emails to the venues, I specifically state that I am only informing and that they should just do whatever they think is appropriate. I believe that they, as a business, have the right to be informed about who they’re doing business with so long as the information given is accurate and is related to that business. I think that fans being upset is likely to affect ticket sales and the type of crowd (I.e. “rowdy”) at the show so I believe this information is relevant to the businesses.

BastardHead
Worse than the PMRC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:49 pm 

I generally don't advertise my own writing all that much, but I think my take on the situation is very relevant to the current discussion. Link in the sig.

tl;dr - Obviously Bart is 10000% in the wrong and on a moral level I hope he fails miserably, but active campaigns to get gigs shut down/the tour canceled are fucking hilariously over the top and you nerds really need to reassess your priorities. Direct action is good, but it'd be nice if y'all picked a cause that wasn't so stupid.

Gravetemplar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:40 pm 

How is this in any way similar to a show being cancelled because there were nazis in the band?

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:02 pm 

Stating that informing venues about the job they're doing is some kind on necessary positive action is... well, I don't know what it is to be honest. If I'm a promoter doing my job I NEED to know what I'm talking about. If I'm a venue owner doing my job I NEED to know whoever I'm booking. If I'm a label owner I NEED to know whoever I'm signing. That's how things SHOULD actually be. Now if people who were supposed to do their jobs properly prefer to do it without the necessary care, and just look at money making prospects, then who the fuck are we to tell them otherwise??? If I, or we, are in the know about the promoter/venue owner/label owner bad business practices the best course of action is to not support them. The same is valid for those who are attending shows. If I'd get an Antifa guy screaming at me that I shouldn't attend a gig I had already paid for I'd give him the middle finger, and if I had some simple dude telling me the same but with better terms I'd have the same reaction. Why? Because no one forced me to pay for that gig, plain and simple.

If people don't care enough about who is in the band or what's happening in legal terms then why should they be impeded of participating in a band's show, no matter the wrongdoings of said "band"? If they care bout it enough they just won't go. Period. People should lay off the social crusade antics and just act as fucking thinking individuals. Fucking hive mentality of "if it's wrong for me then it has got to be wrong for everybody"... Bah!

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:31 pm 

androdion wrote:

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:06 pm 

Yeah yeah, I should've taken the blue pill. :oh shit:

ite_maledicti
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:39 pm 

androdion wrote:
Stating that informing venues about the job they're doing is some kind on necessary positive action is... well, I don't know what it is to be honest. If I'm a promoter doing my job I NEED to know what I'm talking about. If I'm a venue owner doing my job I NEED to know whoever I'm booking. If I'm a label owner I NEED to know whoever I'm signing. That's how things SHOULD actually be. Now if people who were supposed to do their jobs properly prefer to do it without the necessary care, and just look at money making prospects, then who the fuck are we to tell them otherwise??? If I, or we, are in the know about the promoter/venue owner/label owner bad business practices the best course of action is to not support them. The same is valid for those who are attending shows. If I'd get an Antifa guy screaming at me that I shouldn't attend a gig I had already paid for I'd give him the middle finger, and if I had some simple dude telling me the same but with better terms I'd have the same reaction. Why? Because no one forced me to pay for that gig, plain and simple.

If people don't care enough about who is in the band or what's happening in legal terms then why should they be impeded of participating in a band's show, no matter the wrongdoings of said "band"? If they care bout it enough they just won't go. Period. People should lay off the social crusade antics and just act as fucking thinking individuals. Fucking hive mentality of "if it's wrong for me then it has got to be wrong for everybody"... Bah!

This reply is assuming that all of this post is directed at me. I understand that maybe none of it is, or only part of it is, but I’ll respond assuming that all of it is. I understand that some of it might just be venting/your thoughts on various parts of the topic. Also, my reply is worded bluntly but please don't take it as an attack, I respect your thoughts on the issue. It's just clearer and quicker to leave the sugar coating out of it, lol.

“Stating that informing venues about the job they're doing is some kind on necessary positive action is... well, I don't know what it is to be honest”

I never stated that informing venues about the Batushka situation was “necessary”. None of my posts said or implied it. I can understand how it would be easy to assume that was my stance but that assumption is incorrect.

“Now if people who were supposed to do their jobs properly prefer to do it without the necessary care, and just look at money making prospects, then who the fuck are we to tell them otherwise?”

I did not and am not advocating we “tell them” what to do. “Informing” isn’t “telling”. I specifically wrote in that lengthy post above “In my emails to the venues, I specifically state that I am only informing and that they should just do whatever they think is appropriate”.

“If people don't care enough about who is in the band or what's happening in legal terms then why should they be impeded of participating in a band's show, no matter the wrongdoings of said "band”?”

I don’t believe I or anyone else said anything about keeping people out of the show if they don’t care about what’s going on with Batushka. I stated above that “I understand there are people who, for whatever reason (ignorance, apathy, ‘it’s the music I care about’, etc.), will go to the show and enjoy themselves. That’s fine”

“If they care bout it enough they just won't go. Period. People should lay off the social crusade antics and just act as fucking thinking individuals. Fucking hive mentality of "if it's wrong for me then it has got to be wrong for everybody"... Bah!”

I’m just advocating to inform fans so that they have the information to make an educated choice on whether they want to attend and therefor have the opportunity to “just act as fucking thinking individuals”. Continuing with The Matrix theme, it is similar to the red and blue pill scene you referenced above (although not nearly as important of a choice as in The Matrix, lol). And hive mentality would be more like “If it’s wrong for everybody else, then it's wrong for me”. The “hive” is in control, not the individual.

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:34 pm 

I think it was just me venting out, probably the red wine had something to do with it (damned bottle was empty by the end of dinner).

I appreciate that you took the time to reply, and I don't think you were in any way blunt, so cheers for that. And I can understand that you actually believe that your action is positive, but what I meant before was that when people care enough about something (their jobs, their art) they'll try to do the "right" thing about it. Or just choose money/instant gratification. Ironically there's actually no wrong choice there, no blue vs red pill, since the moral in question is that of the individual. What that means in simple terms is that each and everyone will do as they want and not care about others. Why waste your time trying to change their minds when it's their decision to do or not to do?! Because it actually comes out like you're trying to define what's wrong on others according to your law. I know it's not your intention, but at the end of the day...

Antifa dude being unfriendly vs regular dude "making the right thing" still warrants a "go away" in my book. It's my choice to support them or not, and no one has anything to do with my decision.

Being a thinking individual means that you need to actively think for yourself, even if your thoughts are "wrong".

PS: If this doesn't make sense at all then I'm really blaming the wine! :lol:

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:39 am 

Like androdion wrote I don't think there's a "wrong choice" here. Either just let people "enjoy" the terrible spectacle and hopefully let Bartushka fail on their own merits, or inform the venues.
As for my comparison with the Mgla cancellation. Shallow or not, my point was that the general concensus at the time seemed to be (if you ignored all the "xtr3m3 music f0r xtr3m3 people" and "white power advocates are not as bad as antifa" crowd in the scene) that you should let people decide for themselves. And that should swing both ways regardless if you think a band sucks or not.
Another thing that needs to be stressed is also the reason why I chose the Mgla incident as an example. In that case there was no black clad cadre of antifascists outside the venue confronting the crowd; just a letter signed by a student union (among others) sent to the venue beforehand. So I don't think the comparison is that far fetched. Do you?
As for my own view on the antifa shutting down gigs; that is not relevant to this thread (the word "antifa" tends to derail threads around here in a way the words "thieves of artistic property" never could) but I'm happy to discuss it in another context.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:32 am 

Anyway...

Wilytank wrote:
So the metal heads in Baltimore and the surrounding area is going a step further, planning to heckle and throw shit at Bart during the set. Got 32 people thus far saying they're going with another 32 interested.
https://www.facebook.com/events/736193190117040/

:scratch:

:nono:

And...

Cheapsteaks wrote:
Buying tickets to heckle someone seems like getting tickets to a movie you'll hate watch, he's still getting money.

:idea:

ite_maledicti wrote:

That's better. :thumbsup:

In case I would give a shit, I would just give him bad press and make a protest in front of my near venues. :thumbsup:

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:17 am 

Fucking hell! They're playing Bloodstock now, third from the top on the main stage on Sunday night. Dimmu Borgir pulled out yesterday and they were special guests to the Scorpions. So they've pushed Queensryche up to special guests and shoved Batushka in between the 'ryche and Dee Snider. That's FAR TOO high on the bill for them. Are they really that popular? Right now I'm thinking NO!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:50 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
tl;dr - Obviously Bart is 10000% in the wrong and on a moral level I hope he fails miserably, but active campaigns to get gigs shut down/the tour canceled are fucking hilariously over the top and you nerds really need to reassess your priorities. Direct action is good, but it'd be nice if y'all picked a cause that wasn't so stupid.

for real

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next