Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gas_Snake
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:41 am 

Inspired by the thread about Mustaine's vocals and a few discussions in the unpopular opinion thread.

I feel like a common distinction with thrash vocals specifically next to other metal genres is how you can make very many different vocal stylings work with it. Pretty sure basically every major vocal styling in metal has been successfully applied to thrash in very successful ways, short of maybe brutal death metal-style super low growls. Personality is another factor, obviously, it's why there's a lot of technically bad vocalists that still sound amazing in the context of their bands.

Anyway, let's discuss favorites, unfavorites and any related things. Here's some of mine:

Eric A. Knutson (Flotsam and Jetsam) - THE MAN, forever and until the end of time. Already raved about him way back in another thread, but power metal vocal range + punk attitude is a combination that is so obscenely badass that he can literally turn most things he touches to musical gold. Massive bonus points for maintaining his vocal prowess to this day, if anything I'd say on their latest he sounds better than he ever did.
Bobby Blitz (Overkill) - Close second, he is the clear winner in attitude out of them all. I especially love his cleaner, more operatic touches on the first two, there's just so much class here and it is one of many reasons why Feel The Fire is a literally perfect album.
Sean Killian (Vio-lence) - His thing is that he uses his vocals almost like a rhythm instrument, just the rhythms of his vocal lines are very impactful, really compliments the intensity of the music.
James Rivera (Helstar, post-reunion period counts as thrash so he's in there) - One of the very few singers I know who combines clean and harsh vocals to actually benefit the music. Just sounds super cool.
John Kevill (Warbringer) - Of all the newer bands I've heard this guy is definitely the best vocalist. There's a real weight to his voice and his lyrics that you don't see in a lot of thrash.
... stop laying the blame on me alone, as next time I see you calling out my name in public just to vent your frustration, as if I were some sort of second coming of Stalin, I might stop being so polite and I might even tell you where to put your Philosophy degree.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:10 am 

Riley Gale (Power Trip) was a fucking FORCE. Together with awesome riff after awesome riff his attitude is what made Nightmare Logic stand out as one of the best albums in modern thrash. I only got to see them live once but of course they teared the place up.

Rest in power you beautiful bastard.

Spoiler for image size.

Spoiler: show

kovner1972
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:21 am 

My favourites:
Don Dotty (Dark Angel)
Martin Walkyier (Sabbat) - the king of all kings of heavy metal vocalists, up there on a mountain of glory, alone and radiating.
There are many other cool thrash metal vocalists I dig among which, the vocalists from: Wehrmacht, Infamous Sinphony, Sodom, Necrodeath...

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:11 am 

Flemming Ronsdorf (Artillery) - great mix of melody and aggression
Stace "Sheepdog" McLaren (Razor) - most badass thrash vocalist of all time
Bruce Corbitt (Rigor Mortis) - always dug the attitude in his voice and lyrics, RIP
Kurt Brecht (DRI) - perfect hardcore vocals, somehow hasn't changed his voice in 30 years

For the weird, I would go with Keith Deen (Holy Terror). Can't really think of any bad ones but I find Havok and Vektor's vocalists annoying.

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:16 am 

When I think about good thrash metal vocalist David White (Heathen) and Charly Steinhauer (Paradox) always come to my mind

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:38 am 

Kenn Nardi (Anacrusis / solo)...for me the master of what I call "subdued melody", he has an impressive range but his true talent lies in his ability to craft extremely unique, catchy, and simple vocal melodies that are unmistakably him. And his banshee shrieks are insane.
Snake (Voivod)...pretty obvious, but since no one said him yet, yeah. The very picture of "charisma" in a vocalist. Both the harsh vocals on the early albums, and the melodic/clean stuff he did later is absolutely incredible.
John Connelly (Nuclear Assault)...perhaps he falls into the "weird" category for many and I totally get it....but I've always loved his vocal lines. Tracks like "Great Depression", "Inherited Hell", "Trail of Tears", "Something Wicked", etc... always thought he did a great job injecting a bit of melody into his vocals, while retaining the attitude & aggression necessary for their style of punk/hardcore-influenced thrash and it really set NA apart.
Mike Howe (Metal Church)...for a band as varied as MC, I always thought Mike Howe handled it amazingly. He had a great melodic, soaring voice but also a bit of snarling Mustaine-esque aggression - perfect for MC's style. There are many singers who can do "beauty vs. aggression" but very few who can do both simultaneously, and Howe was at the top....which makes his loss all the more devastating.
Leif Jensen (Dew-Scented)...pretty underrated vocalist imo. I find that most of the bands in the "European thrash revival" scene in the late 90s/early 00s lacked in great vocalists (Carnal Forge, The Haunted, Hatesphere, etc.), but Jensen was an exception. His harsh bark/quasi-growl is super distinctive and really at the core of the band's identity. He never did anything crazy or over the top but at the same time, I can't think of a single vocalist (old school or modern) that has ever sounded anything like him. That alone's a feat worth recognizing, I think.

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:12 am 

true_death wrote:
Kenn Nardi (Anacrusis / solo)...for me the master of what I call "subdued melody", he has an impressive range but his true talent lies in his ability to craft extremely unique, catchy, and simple vocal melodies that are unmistakably him. And his banshee shrieks are insane.

I cannot wait to Gas_Snake reaction when he reads this

Demon Fang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:33 am 

There's hardly anybody threatening the thrones of Erik AK, Bobby Blitz, Riley Gale and Sean Killian. James Hetfield's got that redneck charm and Joey Belladona basically gave permission to people who wanted their thrash band to have less hardcore-inclined vocals. Still, if I had to nominate anybody - at all - it's gotta be this guy.

Mike Sanders.

Because for as much as Josh Christian is the main guy behind Toxik, Mike Sanders is the guy that made Toxik and I don't believe for a second that any of his successors can take that away from him. The over the top performances, the sound barrier shattering highs, the sheer passion behind his performances - mixed with the manic thrash that they had played on World Circus - worked oh so swimmingly.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:09 pm 

My answer will always be Mighty Het. All eras (even the non-thrash ones) have been memorable. He still sounds fantastic live.

For modern folks, Riley Gale, Knox Colby and Angelo Pasquale Bonaccorso (Canadian thrash band Raider) stand above the pack.

If you don't know Raider, you should.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:14 pm 

King_of_Arnor wrote:
Flemming Ronsdorf (Artillery) - great mix of melody and aggression

Man, Flemming is a personal favourite of mine and definitely the main reason I got into Artillery in the first place. His voice is unique, has great power and flair. Too bad he doesn't sing anymore.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:13 pm 

true_death wrote:
John Connelly (Nuclear Assault)...perhaps he falls into the "weird" category for many and I totally get it....but I've always loved his vocal lines. Tracks like "Great Depression", "Inherited Hell", "Trail of Tears", "Something Wicked", etc... always thought he did a great job injecting a bit of melody into his vocals, while retaining the attitude & aggression necessary for their style of punk/hardcore-influenced thrash and it really set NA apart.

Handle With Care is one of the best thrash albums of all time and it wouldn't be the same without John Connelly's unhinged vocals. Sure they are a bit weird but they totally suit the manic thrash energy of that album.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:21 pm 

In general, I'm not that picky with thrash vocalists. Most of the guys from the 80s were great - whether quirky, generic, or otherwise, I like nearly all of them.

My one exception is:

jimbies wrote:
For modern folks, Riley Gale, Knox Colby and Angelo Pasquale Bonaccorso (Canadian thrash band Raider) stand above the pack.

If you don't know Raider, you should.

Raider is a great example of why I really dislike a lot of modern thrash vocalists. They're just death metal vocalists playing thrash. Death metal vocals over top of thrash take all of the dynamics out of it. This guy is a good singer, but it's not the type of thrash I like at all.

A much better example is John Kevill. His voice is far more aggressive than any death metal singer's voice, and is a perfect fit for thrash and Warbringer's music.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:23 pm 

Oddeye wrote:
true_death wrote:

Handle With Care is one of the best thrash albums of all time and it wouldn't be the same without John Connelly's unhinged vocals. Sure they are a bit weird but they totally suit the manic thrash energy of that album.

He was so drunk when I saw them, Danny Lilker had to get on the mic and page him to get on the stage for their performance. It was a very rushed like 5 songs and I thought John was going to fall off the stage at any moment.

MorbidEarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:50 pm 

oldmetalhead wrote:
He was so drunk when I saw them, Danny Lilker had to get on the mic and page him to get on the stage for their performance. It was a very rushed like 5 songs and I thought John was going to fall off the stage at any moment.

The same thing happened when I saw the band about 20 years ago. Connelly was so drunk he could barely stand let alone sing and play guitar. How the rest of the band got through that set I’ll never know! I don’t know how long ago you saw them but I hope Connelly has got his shit together since then.

HighwayCorsair
Knows a guy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:57 pm 

Most of my favorites have been mentioned, so here's some more-

David Just from Destructor: like a meaner, thrashier Harry Conklin, perfect fit for his band

Nasty Ronnie from Nasty Savage: theatrical and bizarre, what if King Diamond was a thrash singer?

Katon from Hirax: far more musical than you'd expect from a crossover band, great singing and great attitude and all around cool guy
Owner Nameless Grave Records.

ChoujuX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:27 pm 

Aside from Hetfield, I really like Chuck Billy of Testament and Jimmy Brown of Deliverance (especially on the first two albums).

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:29 pm 

Funny how, in another thread, people complaining about Dave Mustaine's vocals yet here are saying raw vocals are great in thrash.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:49 pm 

Keith Deen of Holy Terror is a huge favorite of mine. Love his diversity and vocal patterns. Besides him, I'm also fond of Flemming Rönsdorf of Artillery. Pete Steele in Carnivore was grade A incredible as well. Just so much spite, gloom, and viciousness in his performance. And then, of course, you can't forget about Tom Angelripper.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:39 pm 

Best thrash vocalist was Tom Araya, on those first five Slayer records which are rightfully considered classics. Power, range, everything was there. Pete Steele was pretty awesome too, though Carnivore really had only one great album (okay, the first one wasn't THAT bad, but "Retaliation" was an 80's thrash classic.)

There were a lot of really good ones. David Godfrey/White and Eric A.K Knutson from Flotsam were great melodic vocalists, same with Russ from Forbidden. When I wanted more gruff/aggro vocalists, (when it suited the music) I loved Ventor from Kreator and Max from Sepultura as well.

Paul Baloff, Sean Kililan, Kurt Brecht, and the guy from Artillery (to a lesser extent) were somewhat quirky as far as vocalists, but they were great in their own way; their somewhat unhinged vocal delivery totally carried the manic, thrashy energy of their respective bands.

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:22 pm 

Echoing the others who have mentioned John Connelly-- super unique vocals with a great mix of punkish aggression and melody. Can definitely hear his influence on modern thrash vocalists like Tony Foresta. Speaking of modern thrash, I'd also have to echo those who brought up John Kevill. His voice is super recognizable and unique and you can tell he puts a lot of effort into writing great lyrics that match his vicious, super-clear vocals perfectly.

As far as weird/goofy thrash vocalists, I gotta include Snake from Voivod. Truly a voice that wouldn't work in any other band. I also love Tom Angelripper, at his best on In the Sign of Evil. BLESSSS-FEMAHHHHHH

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:38 pm 

MorbidEarth wrote:
oldmetalhead wrote:

The same thing happened when I saw the band about 20 years ago. Connelly was so drunk he could barely stand let alone sing and play guitar. How the rest of the band got through that set I’ll never know! I don’t know how long ago you saw them but I hope Connelly has got his shit together since then.

I was at a Megadeth concert in the late 1980s and Dave Mustaine was in the same condition. He would go on these rambling drunken monologues between songs, and at one point impatient fans started spitting at him (at which point he started yelling insults back at the audience, e.g. "Shudda Fugg Upth! I'm Thwaaking Here!") And meanwhile he could barely stand on his feet, let alone play the songs right, and the whole thing was just a shit show. I actually don't mind Dave's vocals, they are neither really great nor terrible, but that night it was pure cringe at maximum levels.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:53 pm 

Eric AK is one of metal’s all time greats.

I’d also add Jeff Becera to the list of greats. His vocals were the strongest component of 80s Possessed, imo.

In_Zane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:34 am 

oldmetalhead wrote:
Funny how, in another thread, people complaining about Dave Mustaine's vocals yet here are saying raw vocals are great in thrash.

And they are - as long as they dont sound whiny and shitty, which is what Mustaine does.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:50 am 

In general I'm not very picky about vocals in thrash metal, but there is one type that irks me: the clean yet monotone wail type. Sadly, it is quite common in 80's thrash. A prime example would be Ron Rinehart on Time Does Not Heal, but others who do this include also James Rivera (Helstar), Katon de Pena (Hirax), David R. White (Heathen). Early work of Bobby Blitz also sometimes comes dangerously close to this, however, his performance from the late 80's to this day is among the handful of greatest vocals in thrash metal. Other favourites include Hetfield, Chuck Billy, Tom Angelripper, Araya on the classic albums (went to barely tolerable in 200's though). And it's not that I don't like clean vocals - Eric AK is also among my favourites. It's just that if the vocalist decides to sing in a clean voice, there should be actual melodies to sing, and he should be able to handle those melodies, not just wail away using 2-3 notes.

P.S. Mustaine is alright in my book, as far vocals go. Not the greatest, but fits the music well enough.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:42 pm 

Man, I like Hirax, but de Pena 100% does the 'monotone wail' thing as you put it. There are some tracks on Raging Violence where he basically just alternates between belting out two different notes. It works for the music and the sheer attitude behind the vocals more than makes up for it, but it's hard to ignore sometimes.

Haven't seen anyone mention Steve Reynolds from Demolition Hammer-- his performances on Tortured Existence and Epidemic of Violence feature some of the most vicious vocals I've ever heard on a thrash album. Also a big fan of both of Razor's main vocalists; McLaren gets most of the love, and his menacing swagger was indispensable on those early Razor albums, but I think Bob Reid has the edge for sheer venom.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:08 pm 

What's everyone's thoughts on Paul Baloff? I didn't like him and his aggression was helped with the gang vocals on Exodus first album. I liked when Zetro came in the band but I know he is another that you like or hate but their best music has been done with him fronting the band. Not even discussing Dukes, he sucked and the band wasted a lot of good riffs with his terrible singing.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:35 pm 

I feel it necessary to remind fans that if you didn’t like Rob Dukes, they were sincerely considering Steev Esquivel, whom has always been absolutely ATROCIOUS.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:18 pm 

My favorite thrash vocalist is probably Max Cavalera I like that its got enough gruffness to it, kinda like the missing link between typical thrash vocals and classic death metal vocalist.

Steve from Demolition Hammer is pretty good to, great mix of energy and aggression.

I feel like Tom Araya is the most obvious answer, when I think of metal Slayer is the first band that comes to mind and no voice sounds more fitting than Tom, so I guess in alot of ways he is the definitive metal vocalist for me. I personally prefer death metal more than any other genre but Its hard to overlook how perfect Tom is/was for Slayer.

Worst is easily the dude from Toxic. I love the riff in Shotgun Logic then those wimpy ass vocals come in and ruin it for me.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:08 pm 

Mark Osegueda from Death Angel is one of my favorites.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:21 pm 

ChildClownOutlet wrote:

He is very similar, IMO, to Tom Araya, in how he enunciates in a very strong voice. Araya doesn't do harmonies and neither does Osegueda, Rob and the other band mates handle those in Death Angel, Slayer just don't do them, lol.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:26 pm 

oldmetalhead wrote:
What's everyone's thoughts on Paul Baloff? I didn't like him and his aggression was helped with the gang vocals on Exodus first album. I liked when Zetro came in the band but I know he is another that you like or hate but their best music has been done with him fronting the band. Not even discussing Dukes, he sucked and the band wasted a lot of good riffs with his terrible singing.

Paul Baloff is top tier in regards to sheer attitude and reckless abandon. Dude sounds like a raging crazed drunken lunatic in the best of ways. Zetro sounds like pissed Donald Duck that hit their funny bone and is quite comical, but i dig his approach, just not nearly on the same level as Baloff.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:39 pm 

Paul Baloff was not technically a gifted vocalist; his vocals on "Bonded By Blood" were badly off key in several spots, which was a distraction. I wasn't that into it the first few times I heard it, either. HOWEVER, I think overall, it almost worked- just because the aggression, and unhinged delivery, actually helped carry the music and added to the overall effect.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:10 am 

My favorites are:

Chuck Billy (Testament) - he's only gotten more brutal sounding with age.
Tom Angelripper (Sodom) - possibly the best thrash vocalist ever. Absolutely brutal tone on both the old and new material.
Gerre (Tankard) - fun vocal style and really hasn't aged.
James Hetfield (Metallica) - the attitude and grit in his voice on those early records was amazing.
Andreas Mozer (Traitor) - apparently the main vocalist is also the drummer.
Baloff (Exodus) - I give him a pass despite obvious technical incapability. The dude was metal incarnated into a person if the stories about him are true. Also, as much as I enjoy the Zetro stuff, the dude sounds like if Rockso from Metalokalypse went thrash.
Stace "Sheepdog" McLaren (Razor) - amazing vocalist. Top 5 for sure for me. The screams on "Below the Belt" and "The Marshall Arts" alone are enough to land him that honor.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:11 am 

How are we 34 posts in before we discuss Russ Anderson? I'm convinced that at least a few posters here might be mistaking AK for Anderson. As awesome as they are/were, I'm not sure how thrash Flots actually are. They were certainly in and around the scene, but they had more in common with Iron Maiden than they did with Metallica of Slayer.

Russ is absolutely the best thrash vocalist out of California. He's not aged particularly well, and has rather publicly done a lot of damage to himself and his voice over the years. I do hope he's doing alright today. His work particularly on those first two Forbidden records alone makes him worthy of the best vocalist in thrash. He could also match Halford on Victim of Changes. So there's that too.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:20 pm 

For weird but excellent check out Doug Lee's performance on Mekong Delta's Kaleidescope and Visions Fugitives.

Both the Metal Church vocalists, David Wayne and Mike Howe are amazing from Metal Church - Hanging in the Balance.

Neil Turbin on that first Anthrax album, a perfect performance.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:04 pm 

Terri23 wrote:
How are we 34 posts in before we discuss Russ Anderson? I'm convinced that at least a few posters here might be mistaking AK for Anderson. As awesome as they are/were, I'm not sure how thrash Flots actually are. They were certainly in and around the scene, but they had more in common with Iron Maiden than they did with Metallica of Slayer.

Russ is absolutely the best thrash vocalist out of California. He's not aged particularly well, and has rather publicly done a lot of damage to himself and his voice over the years. I do hope he's doing alright today. His work particularly on those first two Forbidden records alone makes him worthy of the best vocalist in thrash. He could also match Halford on Victim of Changes. So there's that too.

Great call. He's indeed amazing.

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:00 pm 

Terri23 wrote:

Yep, I mentioned him in another thread not too long ago. He’s my favorite of the non Extreme Thrash bands. He had it all.

I have to disagree on Flotsam not being Thrash though, the first two albums (especially No Place…) are filled with tons of Thrash riffs. To be fair those are the only albums I’ve heard from them.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:27 am 

I actually did mention Russ from Forbidden briefly in one of my posts above, and yes; he was always one of the greats as far as melodic but powerful thrash vocalists. That whole band was really talented and amazing, especially back in the day.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:56 am 

The Forbidden has a good voice (not great), but he makes some terrible choices on that second Forbidden album.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:16 am 

oldmetalhead wrote:
ChildClownOutlet wrote:

He is very similar, IMO, to Tom Araya, in how he enunciates in a very strong voice. Araya doesn't do harmonies and neither does Osegueda, Rob and the other band mates handle those in Death Angel, Slayer just don't do them, lol.

Not strictly true. Osegueda can and does sing harmonies (see the clip below), although he mostly does indeed stick to toneless shouts. And yes, he's one of my favorites too.

Spoiler: show

Regarding Rob Dukes - I never quite understood the flak he gets for his vocals. He probably was not a great fit for the band, and his vocals may have lacked personality, but I'd rate his vocal performance as at least average.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next