Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Texas King
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:07 am 

How would you rank 8 tracks from Iron Maiden's classic Powerslave in the order of preference and rate them all betwen 1 and 5 stars?

My list would look like this:
1. Powerslave - 5/5
2. Rime of the Ancient Mariner - 5/5
3. 2 Minutes to Midnight - 5/5
4. Aces High - 4.5/5
5. The Duellists - 4/5
6. Flash of the Blade - 4/5
7. Losfer Words (Big 'Orra) - 4/5
8. Back in the Village - 3.5/5

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:21 am 

1. Powerslave 5/5
2. Aces High 5/5
3. 2 Minutes to Midnight 5/5
4. All the filler to skip 1/5

-edit- Objectively in highsight "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" might have been part of the 5/5 songs, but because I had the album on a 45 minute tape side for a long time with the last song missing and only heard it much later it doesn't have the nostalgia factor of other songs, and I need that nostalgia factor for traditional heavy metal after getting into black & death metal. The other songs however I just never liked, especially the instrumental.

Last edited by droneriot on Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:24 am 

1. Rime of the Ancient Mariner
2. Aces High
3. Two Minutes to Midnight
4. Powerslave
5. Losfer Woods (Big 'Orra)
6. Flash of the Blade
7. The Duelists
8. Back in the Village

Everything but Back in the Village is a straight 5/5 from me and even that song is still a really high 4. It's hard to decide between Rime and Aces High as the top track as they aim for totally different moods and excel at both. I suppose I could say the same about Two Minutes and the title track to a slightly lesser extent.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:32 am 

Like all their early albums it had some filler-ish stuff that wasn't as good as the really good songs, but the first two and last two songs are dynamite killers. And like their other early albums even the filler isn't as bad as some bands' and still has that unique Maiden flavor that makes it fun.

LordStenhammar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:44 am 

2. Aces High
3. Powerslave
4. The Duellists
5. Two Minutes to Midnight
6. Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)
7. Flash of the Blade
8. Back in the Village

This album is a total winner. Not a perfect album, but still I enjoy the shit out of it. My first love with Maiden, too. That seems like a century ago. Got sick of Two Minutes... while working in a factory, though. A great song, but too much airplay. Hasn't happened with Aces High, curiously. The Duellists is kind of Sea of Madness of this album, an underrated and catchy song I've always loved.

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:54 am 

I remember reading their authorized biography by Mick Wall, and they completely downplayed the middle 4 songs, as if the only ones that mattered were the first and last 2. I agree that those are the best, but Flash of the Blade is very fun and energetic and The Duellists is a severely overlooked track with one of the best guitar parts during the instrumental part. There's certainly more than 2 guitar tracks going on at the same time.

Losfer Words is pretty boring and pointless, and Bruce's singing in Back to the Village makes my head hurt.

My ranking is this:

1. Powerslave - 5/5
2. Rime of the Ancient Mariner - 5/5
3. Aces High - 5/5
4. 2 Minutes to Midnight - 4.5/5
5. The Duellists - 4.5/5
6. Flash of the Blade - 4/5
7. Losfer Words (Big 'Orra) - 2/5
8. Back in the Village - 1/5

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:58 am 

It really blows my mind to see people use the term "filler" to describe any song from the classic-era Maiden albums, especially Powerslave. To me, it's the absolute epitome of an "all killer, no filler" album, where every song is fantastic and necessary for the album's flow and progression. Not a dull moment to be hear anywhere. I mean, if we're talking about Accept, Saxon, Black Sabbath, or even Judas Priest outside Stained Class - I wouldn't have a problem, but for some reason it really bothers me to see people nitpick the classic Maiden albums in such a way :lol:. Just the notion that there's anything to "skip" on Powerslave honestly offends me, not even kidding :lol:.

Granted, this is coming from someone who refuses to ever, for any reason, skip any track when listening to an album (unless we're talking about something like Anathema's "Dreaming: The Romance" or Brutal Truth's "Prey" or whatever).

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:21 pm 

I never skip tracks on albums I want to listen to either, but some of their old albums did have songs that were noticeably lesser in quality. But like I said, they were still pretty fun for what they were anyway. Just not as good as "Powerslave" or "Flight of Icarus" or "Revelations."

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:47 pm 

Powerslave is still in my top 3 Iron Maiden records along with the futuristic Somewhere in Time and the gloomy The X-Factor that all compete for the top spot.

Aces High 4.5/5
Two Minutes to Midnight 4.5/5
Losfer Words (Big 'Orra) 3.5/5
Flash of the Blade 4.5/5
The Duellists 3/5
Back in the Village 2.5/5
Powerslave 4.5/5
Rime of the Ancient Mariner 5/5

Rime of the Ancient Mariner remains Iron Maiden's quintessential song for me as it offers everything that makes this band so great.

Motorhead72
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:56 pm 

Toss-up between Powerslave and Piece Of Mind as my favorite Maiden album. Powerslave was the first tour I saw Maiden on way back when so the album holds a special place in my heart.

Powerslave
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
2 Minutes to Midnight
Aces High
Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)
Flash of the Blade
The Duellists
Back in the Village

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:11 pm 

How is Back in the Village at the bottom of everyone's list? It's obviously not the best song on the album, but it's still great. Baffling.

Miikja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:32 pm 

My favourite three songs here are equally fantastic so the order I put them in is pretty random. I just like Aces High slightly(!) less. I also agree that there isn't really any filler on this album but The Duelists' chorus annoys me so that one is my least favourite song. I love the songs with tempo changes. The part in 2 Minutes to Midnight right after the guitar solos for example, before the beat picks up again, makes it something special. A song like 'Flash of the Blade doesn't have that kind of dynamics and makes it less memorable to me. Love the intro/outro riff though.

The lyrics for 2 Minutes to Midnight effectively remind us of the horrible nature of war and deserve a special mention, I think. It's Maiden's 'War Pigs'.

1. Powerslave
2. 2 Minutes to Midnight
3. Rime of the Ancient Mariner
4. Aces High
5. Losfer Words
6. Back in the Village
7. Flash of the Blade
8. The Duelists

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:45 pm 

By_Inheritance wrote:
How is Back in the Village at the bottom of everyone's list? It's obviously not the best song on the album, but it's still great. Baffling.

You have just answered your own question.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:57 pm 

I don't deviate too much from others who have posted. For me, the title track, Aces High, and 2 Minutes to Midnight are all excellent (5s); Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Flash of the Blade, and The Duellists are all really good (4s); and Losfer Words and Back in the Village are solid (3s), but unexceptional compared to the rest of the album.

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:09 pm 

Powerslave starts with 2 classics and ends with 2 classics. But by bookending the album with the 4 best tunes leaves a clear dip in quality in the middle section. Perhaps if those 4 classic tracks had been spread out more evenly it wouldn't be so apparent (e.g: switching the positions of '2 Minutes to Midnight' and 'Flash of the Blade' and having the title track open side B).

Of the remaining 4 tracks, 'Flash of the Blade' is probably the next best. 'Back in the Village' and 'The Duellists' are alright, with some great guitar work. But I don't like 'Losfer Words' much, although there's some nice guitar solos - they should've scrapped the song but included the cool solos in either 'Flash of the Blade' or 'Back in the Village'.

The Number of the Beast has a couple of weaker tracks in 'Invaders' and 'Gangland', Piece of Mind has a couple of weaker tracks in 'Quest for Fire' and 'Sun and Steel', Powerslave has 4 weaker tracks, yet it's still probably my favourite album of theirs as the other 4 tracks are so fucking great!

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:24 pm 

Quest for Fire is an amazing riff-o-rama that got its bad reputation from "OMG MEN AND DINOSAURS ITS CREATIONISTS" preteen internet trolls.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:29 pm 

Approximately:
1. Aces High
2. Rime of the Ancient Mariner
3. Two Minutes to Midnight
4. Powerslave
5. Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)
6. Flash of the Blade
7. The Duellists
8. Back in the Village

I actually really like Losfer Words a lot. Flash of the Blade has its charm as well. Not a bad song on here really though.

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:41 pm 

Powerslave is arguably the worst of the 5 classic Bruce Maiden albums to do this for since most people have the same split between top/bottom four. I think the prevailing opinions on Piece of Mind/Somewhere In Time/Seventh Son are far more divisive in terms of best songs. Number of the Beast probably would be similar to Powerslave, except I think some people are tired of the very popular songs. In any case, to play along:

1. Powerslave
2. 2 Minutes To Midnight
3. Rime of the Ancient Mariner
4. Aces High
5. Flash of the Blade
6. Back in the Village
7. Losfer Words
8. The Duellists

droneriot wrote:
Quest for Fire is an amazing riff-o-rama that got its bad reputation from "OMG MEN AND DINOSAURS ITS CREATIONISTS" preteen internet trolls.

You are correct!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:51 pm 

Quest for Fire is fun but totally outmatched by the first half of the album. I like "Sun and Steel" a little better and think both are pretty much fine though.

alexo666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:15 pm 

Rime
Back In The village
Flash Of The Blade
Aces High
The Duellists
Powerslave
2 Minutes
Losfer Words

Maiden's best.

Last FM

MetallicaTrueFan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:48 pm 

1. Powerslave
2. Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
3. Losfer Words
4. Flash Of The Blade
5. Aces High
6. 2 Minutes To Midnight
7. Back In The Village
8. The Duelist

Probably my favorite 80's Maiden Album due to its aggression and great production. Each song goes as far as it can and you don't see anything like Gangland at any point on this album.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:37 pm 

droneriot wrote:

I was never aware of the "Men & Dinosaurs" stupidity but it doesn't surprise me coming from those people.

But aside from that (and maybe I'm in the minority here), I personally feel 'Quest For Fire' is among Maiden's all-time shittiest songs... It's the one track on that album I can not stand, all of the others are F'n awesome. 'To Tame A Land', 'Revelations' 'Die With Your Boots On', 'Still Life' - most everything else is awesome, including 'Sun & Steel', imo (though that one's not among the best on the record, it's still great) But... 'Quest For Fire' with those dumb lyrics & annoying chorus & even weak verses- God, I hate it, haha. Sorry, maybe it's just me.

On to the legendary Powerslave though, my list probably mirrors many others;
Aces High, 2 Minutes..., Flash Of The Blade, Back In The Village, Powerslave & Rime... are all solid 5's, imo, The Duellists, & Losfer Words are still badass, but maybe 4.5's compared to the rest.

And like the earlier gentlemen noted, I could never dream of skipping any of the tracks on Powerslave or most anything else I own. But... I do skip Quest For Fire :lol: It's one of the very few

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:30 am 

S Tier: Rime, Aces High
A Tier: Powerslave, 2 Minutes
B Tier: Losfer Words, Flash of the Blade
C Tier: Back in the Village
Gangland Tier: The Duelist

Most consistent Maiden album is Seventh Son, suck it nerds.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:54 am 

Aydross wrote:
S Tier: Rime, Aces High
A Tier: Powerslave, 2 Minutes
B Tier: Losfer Words, Flash of the Blade
C Tier: Back in the Village
Gangland Tier: The Duelist

Most consistent Maiden album is Seventh Son, suck it nerds.

Sorry to post something unrelated, but I need to ask a question about your ranking system. I think everyone knows what grades A, B, C mean, but do you know what S stands for? We have this system for performance in my company and people keep saying it means lame things like "super" and "special". Can you help?

...and since I'm here:
Rime of the Ancient Mariner (5/5)
Back in the Village (5/5)
2 Minutes to Midnight (5/5)
Aces High (5/5)
Flash of the Blade (4.5/5)
Powerslave (4.5/5)
Losfer Words (4/5)
The Duellists (4/5)

What can I say? I just like speed metal and Rime is a perfect epic. This is like a classic Running Wild album about 10 years before the fact.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:11 am 

Rime of the Ancient Mariner - the pinnacle of the heavy metal epic (tied with Fates' Epitaph and Fate's Satan's Fall maybe), 5/5
Flash of the Blade - one of the most intense Maiden songs with a relatively unusual riff for them and an amazing harmony section that only bands like Helstar have ever approached, 5/5
Powerslave - also a great epic, the Middle-Eastern riff is maybe laid on a bit too thick but the busy drumming, impassioned vocals, and top-tier solos still make this a classic, 5/5
2 Minutes to Midnight - a hundred bands have used this riff but this song used it the best, great attitude, 5/5
Back in the Village - the way the intro riff sort of falls apart and then gets put back together again is one of the coolest ~10 seconds of music I've heard, the rest is kickass speed metal, 4.5/5
Losfer Words - pure riffs and that uplifting harmony "chorus" was one of the first Maiden melodies to captivate me as a kid before I even knew who they were, 4.5/5
Aces High - I'm not a fan of how the vocal line follows the guitar melody, and the melody itself is a bit stilted, but otherwise this song deserves its praise, 4.5/5
The Duellists - still love it, especially the instrumental bridge, but the vocal melody is a bit too Where Eagles Dare, one of the harmonies was used better on Rime, and two swordfighting songs back-to-back makes this one lose out by comparison, Maiden's filler still beats most band's best songs though, 4.5/5

My third favorite album from my favorite band so every song is excellent in my book.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:22 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Sorry to post something unrelated, but I need to ask a question about your ranking system. I think everyone knows what grades A, B, C mean, but do you know what S stands for? We have this system for performance in my company and people keep saying it means lame things like "super" and "special". Can you help?

Well, according to this reputable and peer reviewed source (not really) https://www.giantbomb.com/s-rank/3015-2962/ it originated in Japan because getting an "S" sounds cooler than getting an "A", in the sense that it is a better score than the best possible, kinda like a 102% in DKC2 for a real life example.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:46 am 

Aces High - 5
2 Minutes - 4.5
Losfer - 3
Flash - 4
Duellists - 3.5
Village - 3
Powerslave - 4.5
Rime - 5

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:03 am 

Regarding 'Quest for Fire', some may or may not know that the lyrics are based on the 1981 film of the same name (interestingly starring Ron Pearlman - pretty cool film, actually. Saw it about 30 years ago. There's no proper dialogue in it, just grunts if I recall). The mistake Steve made when he wrote the song was using the word "Dinosaurs", because there aren't any in the movie. But there are pre-historic mammals. I guess "In a day when pre-historic mammals walked the earth" didn't have the same ring to it. Lol

Anthony Pwl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:19 am 

"Powerslave" was the very first metal album i listened to, more than 25 years ago, and led me to where i am today. So it had a huge impact on me.

Aces High : 5/5 => can't rate it otherwise, it hit me like a fucking brick the first time and it was like i finally found a purpose in life.
2 Minutes : 4/5 => The bridge and the instrumental part make up for the generic riffing.
Losfer Words : 4/5 => I didn't like it very much at first but it grew on me and i ended up learning it on guitar.
Flash of the Blade : 5/5 => the hammering verse is strong as fuck and the harmonized part gorgeous.
The Duellists : 3.5/5 => cool song and guitar parts but i find the chorus kinda annoying.
Back in the Village : 2.5/5 => cool riff and all but the throbbing chorus ruins the song.
Powerslave : 5/5 => undeniable heavy metal classic.
Rime : 4.5/5 => great riffs and atmosphere, with IMO the most memorable instrumental part from the band (right after the slow part). I take back 0.5 because of the repetitive verses.

average : 4.2/5

RichardDeBenthall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:03 am 

RIME OF THE ANCIENT MARINER = 1000000.100000%/10

Best Maiden song there is.

BarbaricAvatar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:16 am 

1. Rime of the Ancient Mariner - 5/5
2. 2 Minutes to Midnight - 4/5
3. Aces High - 4/5
4. Flash of the Blade - 4/5
5. Powerslave - 4/5
6. Back in the Village - 3/5
7. Losfer Words (Big 'Orra) - 2/5
8. The Duellists - 1/5

I've never liked 'The Duellists', time and lack of exposure hasn't changed that. There's usually one song on Maiden albums i dislike, only SiT and SSoaSS are relatively perfect in this regard. 'Rime' is an immense song though is in its greatest form elsewhere; specifically on Live After Death.

Are you going to start a series of these topics or is this a one-off? It would be cool to do this for all the Maiden albums and then perhaps moving onto other iconic bands.

Dustroy_Troly
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:51 am 

1. Rime of the Ancient Mariner 5/5
2. Powerslave 5/5
3. 2 Minutes to Midnight 5/5
4. Aces High 5/5
5. The Duellists 4.5/5
6. Flash of the Blade 4.5/5
7. Losfer Words (Big 'Orra) 4/5
8. Back in the Village 3.5/5

Rime and the title track all-time classics to me and 2 Minutes and Aces are nearly as good. I used to not be able to stand Back in the Village at all because of the chorus but there's enough good stuff happening outside of it that I've eventually warmed up to it.

Discordant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:50 pm 

2. Powerslave
3. 2 Minutes to Midnight
4. Aces High
5. Flash of the Blade
6. The Duellists
7. Losfer Words
8. Back in the Village

The 2 at bottom is the only ones I don't enjoy, terrible chorus on Back in the Village as mentioned right above me and the instrumental is just OK but kills momentum being the 3rd track rather at number 6, where I would have prefered it.

https://imperiator.bandcamp.com/
Old-school Bathory/Immortal/Dissection

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:20 pm 

I’m upset and triggered. Why do so many people put Back in the Viillage at the bottom of their lists!?! Is everyone insane or am I the one? The song is fantastic, energetic and the main riff is catchy as hell. The chorus isn’t stellar or anything but it fits the song much better than the chorus of, say, Invaders from TNOTB, and I always feel like banging my head to it. Apologies for my passion, but my whole life all I’ve only ever heard people talk trash about this song. Do people honestly like it less than the instrumental?

Edit: I know a few of you said good things about it, but I didn’t notice when posting from the frenzy that took over me lol

By_Inheritance wrote:

Buy this man a beer!

at the gaytes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:31 pm 

1 - Rime 5/5
2 - Aces High 5/5
3 - Powerslave 5/5
4 - 2 Minutes 5/5
5 - Back in the Village 4.5/5
6 - Flash of the Blade 4.5/5
7 - The Duellists 4/5
8 - Losfer Words 3.5/5

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:34 pm 

Aces High - 5
Rime of the Ancient Mariner - 5
2 Minutes to Midnight - 4.5
Powerslave - 4.5
Flash of the Blade - 4
The Duellists - 3.5
Back in the Village - 3.5
Losfer Words - 3.5

Great album, not a bad song. "Aces High" may be the best opener to an album in history.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:49 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
By_Inheritance wrote:

I haven't answered my own question. People are giving it 1 and 2 out of 5. That's not a score you'd give a great song. The question still stands: why don't people like the song?

Discordant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:07 pm 

By_Inheritance wrote:
Thexhumed wrote:
By_Inheritance wrote:

I haven't answered my own question. People are giving it 1 and 2 out of 5. That's not a score you'd give a great song. The question still stands: why don't people like the song?

For me its mostly the chorus, its not great. Its actually pretty bad. I get annoyed by it. The rest is at best decent, but surrounded by the greatness of the album and plagued by that chorus it probably just sound worse then it actually is...

https://imperiator.bandcamp.com/
Old-school Bathory/Immortal/Dissection

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:35 pm 

It's simply not as tight as the other songs, the vocal delivery is more unhinged and the structuring feels more off the cuff than the more rigidly composed Aces High or Flash of the Blade. It's the last holdout of the Di'Anno era but the grit is long gone.

Still a great song though. I like the opening riff and the vocal line is catchy.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:13 pm 

Fair enough. Nice to read some actual answers.

I disagree, though, of course. I think the song has some nice riffs and the chorus has never stuck me as a problem. I find it pretty catchy. Maiden have a ton of worse offenders. It's better than the instrumental and the Duelist for me, easy.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next