Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:22 pm 

I don't see why I should be listening to that new Visigoth album when I could enjoy that FORTRESS EP twice within the same timespace.

I was THE ONLY ONE voting for that one and I'm still not getting it.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:37 pm 

CannibalCorpse wrote:
I don't see why I should be listening to that new Visigoth album when I could enjoy that FORTRESS EP twice within the same timespace.

"I already like /this/ album so I won't listen to /that/ album" ?

That's your argument?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:41 pm 

Which Fortress are we talking? There's like over a dozen of them.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:53 pm 

CannibalCorpse wrote:

I'm just checking this EP out now and it's pretty damn good. Reminds me of Wolf and Twisted Tower Dire. Excellent debut. Trad metal fans need to listen to this. I think there's so much product coming out these day's it's easy to miss stuff. I see there's physical copies available on ebay, their page on here only states digital.

Empyreal wrote:
Which Fortress are we talking? There's like over a dozen of them.

It's the Fortress from Whittier, California. I got it on strike three.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:21 am 

Well Empyreal, since you also voted for SOTW I thought I'd check out the other albums on your list and I gotta say, I'm definitely liking Sulphur Aeon and Arrayan Path. I will be getting their albums.
Chaple Of Disease... I'm on the fence with these guys, not sure with some of the prog directions their songs go in, they're a maybe, further listening required.
Horrendous, I got their first album when it came out but I overdosed myself on Death Metal at the time and didn't follow them any further. I'm liking what I'm hearing now, this is the sort of progress that I like to hear from bands. I will be revisiting them.
So good stuff. Two definite's, a revisit and a maybe.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:49 am 

This Arrayan Path album is super interesting and amibitious, but their last two are even better as pure, nose to the grind metal - particularly Dawn of Aquarius which should be a love-letter for any fan of obscure bands like Tad Morose, Morgana Lefay, etc as well as classic Kamelot. The title track had to be the best power metal song of that year.

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:32 am 

Great, three of mine didn't just receive one vote from me. One I certainly expected. Great news on the other two.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:19 am 

tahu157 wrote:

That's your argument?

Man, I just wanted to point out that this Fortress EP is just heaps more fun. I stopped listening to the Visigoth one halfway through because I just stopped caring.

If people like both - power to them, but that little EP is much more enjoyable to me, way better soloing, slightly flawed yet adorable singing, amazing, riffy catchiness. Didn't hear too much of that in Visigoth's release.

Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:22 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
I'm just checking this EP out now and it's pretty damn good. Reminds me of Wolf and Twisted Tower Dire. Excellent debut. Trad metal fans need to listen to this. I think there's so much product coming out these day's it's easy to miss stuff. I see there's physical copies available on ebay, their page on here only states digital.

Thanks for taking the time. Good old NWOBHM that doesn't sound like everybody else.

Quote:
It's the Fortress from Whittier, California. I got it on strike three.

Exactly! "Fortress" is their debut, a real newcomer.

Adder's Fork - Website

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:47 am 

Empyreal wrote:
This Arrayan Path album is super interesting and amibitious, but their last two are even better as pure, nose to the grind metal - particularly Dawn of Aquarius which should be a love-letter for any fan of obscure bands like Tad Morose, Morgana Lefay, etc as well as classic Kamelot. The title track had to be the best power metal song of that year.

Yeah I'll definitely check out their other albums. Had a listen to Tad Morose and Morgana Lefay, awesome bands, this is what I like, I'm kicking myself for not getting into these two earlier. They were always on the radar. I even got Morgana Lefays "Sanctified" album over 20 years ago and I remember liking it, but again not going any further with them. Tried out Kamelot (not for the first time), but it's not my cuppa tea, when it comes to this style of power metal I'm a big fan of Blind Guardian, Domine, Helloween, Virgin Steele and Gamma Ray, but thats about it. Thanks for the recs, the bank accounts about to take a thrashing.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:57 am 

Yeah I mean I'd say Arrayan Path and Tad Morose/Morgana Lefay would appeal to fans of that heavier stuff so you're probably in good company there.

Domine used to be a fucking amazing band. That one album they did, Emperor of the Black Rune or whatever, was ace... should revisit it sometime.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:33 am 

Has there ever been a section in the year-end poll for "most overrated" or "biggest disappointment", or do the people that run it want to keep it completely positive?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:47 am 

I've considered maybe doing a side vote for something like that or "song of the year" or something, but as you can see from the Debut of the Year category, it's just impractical since the vote would be spread so thin. Somebody just made a whole thread about overrated albums last year and there's nothing wrong with that.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:45 am 

Some people (myself included) list their "biggest disappointments" when they post their lists after the results are revealed.
Obliteration

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:09 pm 

Well, for what it's worth, my favorite *songs* from 2018 - the ones that when I listen to them years from now will bring me immediately back to the time and position I was in when I first heard them - would have to be:

Wolfheart - Everlasting Fall
Sul ad Astral - This Broken Ideal
Omnium Gatherum - The Burning
Slugdge - Limo Vincit Omnia
Amorphis - The Bee

SD Plissken
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:13 pm 

Here's my top 10:

1. Chapel of Disease...and as We Have Seen the Storm, We Have Embraced the Eye

2. AscensionUnder Ether

3. Master’s HammerFascinator

4. VoïvodThe Wake

5. VarathronPatriarchs of Evil

6. KrisiunScourge of the Enthroned

7. VomitorPestilent Death

8. Metal ChurchDamned if You Do

9. Deceased...Ghostly White

10. PortalIon

Other releases I liked:

Mayhem - Grand Declaration of War remaster

Sepulcher - Panoptic Horror

Clandestine Blaze - Tranquility of Death

Verheerer - Maltrér

Death Karma - The History of Death & Burial Rituals Part II

Opera IX - The Gospel (surprising how much I like this since I didn't care for anything of theirs after Cadaveria's departure)

Cultes Des Ghoules - Sinister, or Treading the Darker Paths

Majestic Mass - Savage Empire of Death

Abigor - Höllenzwang (Chronicles of Perdition)

Depths Above - Ex Nihilo

Watain - Trident Wolf Eclipse

Biggest disappointment: Altar of Perversion - Intra Naos. I've been a fan since their demo and thought this album would never see the light of day. It's just a bunch of long, meandering crap that goes nowhere and I found it to be so bloated and boring that I couldn't even listen to the entire thing.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:13 pm 

Eh, didn't bother to do my list this year, but at least my no. 1 for 2018 wouldn't be in rando corner.

It's of course Obliteration's Cenotaph Obscure; just a massive, massive death metal album of the old school persuasion; it didn't top Nekropsalms for me, and it is a bit of a shift in sound for them, but still an amazing album.

Here's a top 10 I think I'd submit:

1. Obliteration - Cenotaph Obscure
2. Lago - Sea of Duress
(not one vote for Lago makes me cry)
3. Orphaned Land - Unsung Prophets and Dead Messiahs
4. Sacral Rage - Beyond Celestial Echoes
5. Voices - Frightened
6. Carpe Noctem - Vitrun
7. Ataraxy - Where All Hope Fades
8. Convocation - Scars Across
9. Malthusian - Across Deaths
10. Death Karma - The History of Death & Burial Rituals Part II

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:00 pm 

CannibalCorpse wrote:
tahu157 wrote:

That's your argument?

Man, I just wanted to point out that this Fortress EP is just heaps more fun. I stopped listening to the Visigoth one halfway through because I just stopped caring.

If people like both - power to them, but that little EP is much more enjoyable to me, way better soloing, slightly flawed yet adorable singing, amazing, riffy catchiness. Didn't hear too much of that in Visigoth's release.

If you gave the Visigoth album a chance and didn't like it then that's fine. Something about the way you worded the post I quoted made me think you were protesting the AOTY by pointedly not listening to it, and instead listening to your personal AOTY. That reaction seemed pretty sulky and petty, but if that wasn't actually what you were going for, then I'm sorry for the snarky reply.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:24 am 

I'll give Visigoth a try. I've given every top 2 or 3 albums for the past couple of polls at least a try. Who knows. Though if the same people that voted for Satan also voted for Visigoth, I'm not keeping my hopes up.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:21 am 

tahu157 wrote:
If you gave the Visigoth album a chance and didn't like it then that's fine. Something about the way you worded the post I quoted made me think you were protesting the AOTY by pointedly not listening to it, and instead listening to your personal AOTY. That reaction seemed pretty sulky and petty, but if that wasn't actually what you were going for, then I'm sorry for the snarky reply.

I tried it twice. First time I wanted to hear the full album and later I dived into selected songs. No, I don't think it's a bad album, but it didn't really grab me and so it didn't feel like it needed more spins to sink in.

I was just pushing some attention towards that new Fortress EP since I really think it deserves more listeners and being part of the same sub-genre, it could work for some.

No worries man.

Adder's Fork - Website

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:50 pm 

Opus wrote:
One vote for Unleashed?! You are all a bunch of christians!

because unleashed deserves to be in the top 10 as much as amorphis and judas priest do but actually get called out for being a stale rehashed wreck of a band.

IntoNevermore wrote:
I'm a bit shocked Augury ended up in the rando corner, for me it was a better than the new Obscura and Alkaloid. I also thought it would be a bit more hyped given that it was 9 years since they made new music, and both of their previous records are absolute classics for me, but well, I didn't voted for them so I should just shut up haha.

i noticed this too, im not into much tech/prog death anymore but i actually liked it which does say something. I just found that a lot of people who used to listen to augury 10 years ago did not even listen to the new one.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:32 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
Opus wrote:
One vote for Unleashed?! You are all a bunch of christians!

because unleashed deserves to be in the top 10 as much as amorphis and judas priest do but actually get called out for being a stale rehashed wreck of a band.

Nothing stale or rehashed about the new album, it was fantastic and easily the best thing they've done since Hammer Battalion.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:30 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
IntoNevermore wrote:
I'm a bit shocked Augury ended up in the rando corner, for me it was a better than the new Obscura and Alkaloid. I also thought it would be a bit more hyped given that it was 9 years since they made new music, and both of their previous records are absolute classics for me, but well, I didn't voted for them so I should just shut up haha.

i noticed this too, im not into much tech/prog death anymore but i actually liked it which does say something. I just found that a lot of people who used to listen to augury 10 years ago did not even listen to the new one.

I have this album and I don't mind it, but it didn't stick with me as well as some of the others from 2018 did like Gorod and Beyond Creation and others. I will give it plenty of chances and I'm sure it'll sink in one day, but for now it didn't make my top 10.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:34 am 

Surprised Virgin Steele's Ghost Harvest didn't take the first spot.

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:59 am 

here is my list
1. Inferi - Revenant - I really enjoy this kind of melodic shredding and the solos are really enjoyable for me
2. Horrendous - Idol - I really enjoyed the previews of the album but when I got it in full I couldn't get into it really but the more I listened to it, it got better and better
3. Chapel of Disease - ...and as We Have Seen the Storm, We Have Embraced the Eye - weirdness just up my alley
4. Beyond Creation - Algorythm - I think this was a really strong album with some improvements from their previous album but also some let downs, but there were some solo's that made me return to that section enough time
5. Rivers of Nihil - Where Owls Know My Name - I think this album did some great combining of instruments and while very sterile, it is a really good album imo
6. Augury - Illusive Golden Age - this album is really dark and has so many things to listen to that you discover something new each listen, what a pity it ended up rando
7. Aborted - TerrorVision - doing what they always do very good and really warrants to again be up here
8. Irreversible Mechanism - Immersion - took me a while and definitely very different from their debut, this album has still plenty to enjoy but there are hardly any points that reminded me of their debut, could've been a different band
9. Aethereus - Absentia - really strong album but not really known, bit in the veins of Inferi and the likes
10. Deicide - Overtures of Blasphemy - I was never really into Deicide besides the debut so I only clicked on it after BH description and this is something different, I really like the melodic solo's here and there and the drumming is on par.

good but not good enough
Alkaloid - Liquid Anatomy - yeah I liked the debut more but still a very strong album
Obscura - Dilivium - their previous album did it for me, this one felt a bit watered down from that one tbh
Akhenaten - Golden Serpent God - blackened Egyptian instrument Nile doing great stuff
Arsis - Visitant - very unexpected album but very enjoyable
The Monolith Deathcult - V2 - Vergelding - they did it again!
Resumed - Year Zero - random buy, very well executed prog death album with catchy riffs

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:25 am 

Amorphis as no. 2 in 2018. never change, MA.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

tobi is an animal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:58 pm 

I'd be interested to see the top 10 list of the other 2 people who voted for The Night Flight Orchestra. If they could post them in this thread or PM them to me it would be appreciated. thanks.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:58 pm 

Aydross wrote:
Surprised Virgin Steele's Ghost Harvest didn't take the first spot.

It was so good that everyone was too afraid to vote for it.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:59 pm 

^ I never got into Amorphis, but did listen to last year's new album and for the life of me I have no idea what people are hearing that gives it such a high rating.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:02 pm 

Well, after seeing the MA results I had to check Amorphis' The Queen Of Time. I thought it's again the same pattern they've been following over the past few years. But to my shock that wasn't the case. Album is really, really great, modern and pumping, Amorphis at their best! It's completely fluid and light to digest, but on the same time metal as fuck! Every song stands on it's own ground, and so is the whole package - just sounds massive and energetic. For my ears, this album is a visible step forwards, something that Eclipse album was years back, and it is a milestone in their career. Perfectly executed, great produced - an album for everyone to enjoy! Bravo!

Myrkrarfar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:04 pm 

tobi is an animal wrote:
I'd be interested to see the top 10 list of the other 2 people who voted for The Night Flight Orchestra. If they could post them in this thread or PM them to me it would be appreciated. thanks.

Hopping in like a wombat here; I didn't vote for it 'cause I'm stupid and thought it ineligible, but it was in my top 10 nevertheless. Link to my top 50 is in my signature; I also posted my MA vote earlier in the thread.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:36 pm 

Well this thread got me to give Conqueror's Oath another few listens. I still find it lacking compared to the debut but I think I'll give it a few more spins.

Also grabbed the lead track off the new Seasons of the Wolf. Not sure I like the vocalist but the music is solid.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:08 pm 

^ There's two singers on SOTW's album and the other guy's a bit rawer, a bit less nasally, so maybe you'd like that. The whole album is really varied and full of sweet riffs and hooks. On their old stuff the vocals were more animated and lively, too - the guy had health problems when recording this one, though I still think he sounds good.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:01 pm 

Myrkrarfar wrote:
tobi is an animal wrote:

Hopping in like a wombat here; I didn't vote for it 'cause I'm stupid and thought it ineligible, but it was in my top 10 nevertheless. Link to my top 50 is in my signature; I also posted my MA vote earlier in the thread.

It didn't make my Top 10, but if you're looking for like-minded fans I am a huge fan. I kind of burned out on them though from the one from 2017, so I didn't give the new one a lot of listens, but I'll be back.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

PeteGas
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:14 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
Myrkrarfar wrote:
tobi is an animal wrote:

It didn't make my Top 10, but if you're looking for like-minded fans I am a huge fan. I kind of burned out on them though from the one from 2017, so I didn't give the new one a lot of listens, but I'll be back.

Wasn’t in my top ten either but still enjoyed it. Thought Amber Galactic was better though.

Re Amorphis I too thought it was a bit of a step in a different direcition, particularly the orchestration. It’s not like Primordial is making huge leaps forward with their sound either but nobody seems to complain about that being in the top 10 (I enjoyed it but definitely one of their weaker efforts for me).

Anyways I went and relistened to it since there so many people complaining about it and yup,still awesome. Just good fucking songs and as I get older I find that is what I am looking for the most.

My list:
1 Horrendous- Idol
2 Amorphis - Queen of Time
3 Sulphur Aeon - The Scythe of Cosmic Chaos
4 Alkaloid - Liquid Anatomy
5 Ihsahn - Amr
6 1914 - The Blind Leading the Blind
7 Tribulation - Down Below
8 Angra - OMNI
9 Inferi - Revenant
10 Necropanther - Eyes of Blue Light

Gaerea was my debut of the year.
Overall lots of good death metal in 2018. Maybe not as strong of a year overall as the last few but still lots to listen to. The Necropanther was the only rando on my list

Disappointed in the lack of votes for Angra. Was pleasantly surprised by that one. Again, good songs.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:56 pm 

I kind of glossed over Primordial's inclusion in the top 10. I'm assuming that just speaks more to there being enough people who really enjoy their sound and will probably include them in their top 10 any year in which they release an album. I thought Exile Amongst the Ruins was one of their weaker releases, although "To Hell or the Hangman" is a really fun song.

Same thing goes for Priest I'm guessing? I find it hard to believe anyone other than a Judas Priest superfan would include Firepower in their top 10. Either that, or they didn't listen to too many metal albums in 2018.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:04 pm 

^ Well, that's the thing isn't it. You don't really know if they heard 10 or 100. Personally, I didn't vote in 2017 because I had only heard 14 or 17 or something 2017 albums, and I didn't want to vote for 10 just for the sake of voting. I would have ended up voting for some middle-good albums like Rage's Seasons of the Black, which was enjoyable but not AOTY material.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:07 pm 

Primordial's one of my favorite bands but Exile... was a huge disappointment to me. A stark end to their impressive winning streak and easily their most banal album since Storm Before Calm. I gave it tons of chances, and still put it on from time to time, but it just doesn't stick with me. Biggest letdown of 2018.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:14 pm 

I'm just shocked that Firepower didn't win. Every year when a classic band puts out a passable attempt the metal sites usually rank it very high in year end charts.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:20 pm 

Good. The back half of Firepower sounds like fucking LOAD. Lol

Last FM

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next