* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:36 pm 

From their Facebook:

Quote:
DISMA has parted ways with our vocalist, Craig Pillard.

The decision was mutual and the reasons are no secret. We will move on and finish writing the next album and complete it when a suitable replacement is found.

We thank you all for your support over the years!

For those that don’t know the reason, Pillard is a noted neo-Nazi, and he decided to book his neo-Nazi band Sturmfuhrer for a fascist festival in Italy. Toilet ov Hell got wind of this last week, did a big write up about it, and here we are today.

https://toiletovhell.com/craig-pillard- ... nazi-shit/

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Ball Cupper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:45 pm 

Woah, he sounds like a real asshole. Can't blame Disma for dropping him like a hot turd

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:52 pm 

Ball Cupper wrote:
Can't blame Disma for dropping him like a hot turd

him being a nazi is very, very old news and they never had a problem with it in the past. they probably have a new album coming out this year and didn’t want this to hurt their sales. i’d honestly respect them more if they admitted that.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:01 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Ball Cupper wrote:
Can't blame Disma for dropping him like a hot turd

him being a nazi is very, very old news and they never had a problem with it in the past. they probably have a new album coming out this year and didn’t want this to hurt their sales. i’d honestly respect them more if they admitted that.

100% a PR move. They've been dropped from a handful of festivals the last year or two. The Hot Shower booking was the final nail in the coffin. There's no way these guys didn't know this about Craig after being in the band with him for over a decade. :lol:

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:02 pm 

I remember reading about him doing that project many years.

He claims his beliefs had changed in more recent years in interviews (from around two or three years ago), but the fact he's fired the past project back up obviously negates that.

I don't blame them for firing him and wanting to distance themselves from him.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:07 pm 

Maybe members of Disma fell for that half-assed "distancing" he did even though it was already clear at the time he just did it to keep the band on the festivals they were booked and that there was zero change to his mindset since his Sturmfuhrer (fucking 60s/70s rock bands can do umlauts, but idiots trying to have a German name cannot) days. Now he's open about Sturmfuhrer still existing unchanged and the three people maximum on the planet who believed his phony "I don't believe in that stuff anymore, please keep booking us"-story have to come to terms with the obvious fact he just doesn't have a place in the death metal scene anymore and never will again.

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:28 pm 

"The reasons are no secret" and may include them being less bothered by the guy with a totenkopf chest tattoo than by festivals not giving them the sweet dollar bills. Doesn't take a hot shower to figure this out now does it.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:14 pm 

Bet this means they're going to print ten thousand more t-shirts to continue their more merch than actual music status.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:34 pm 

if they really were that worried about loss of sales etc then they would have dropped craig ages ago. I guess it just got to the point where they were sick of being slowed down by having everyones favourite racist metal vocalist.

ohfuck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:00 pm 

Great news, stoked for some new material and now I don't have to feel as bad about liking them. Should have dropped him when they got kicked off Chaos in Tejas though, I'd never let some ex/current nazi get in the way of money/opportunities.

Hallucination Realized. Real grind shit

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:16 pm 

I’m glad Disma finally dropped Craig. It definitely seems like a PR move. Disma has had trouble with getting dropped from shows lately. It would be cool if Daryl rejoined now that he’s gone. Craig Pillard is a complete shithead. He can be replaced easily and there’s no sense in letting one member drag down an entire band.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:21 pm 

PR move or not, good riddance.
Obliteration

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:38 am 

In the interview he legit sounds retarded. Like, literally 12 years old. Although I kinda want to start a band called "The Electric Jew".

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:39 am 

Black Shabbat - "Electric Jewneral"

But no yeah fuck Craig Pillard. It shouldn't be too hard to find a replacement, people caught up to him a while ago.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:43 am 

This thread did make me go and check out what I had missed by this band since 2011.

Turns out it was something like 3 songs :l

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:57 am 

yeah they've pretty much become a t-shirt company at this point

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:57 am 

There's no ulterior motives necessary in this situation. The rest of the band put their trust in him, gave him the benefit of the doubt that his controversial past would remain that way, and he simply betrayed that trust. Sure, it might seem obvious to others that the man was no different from before, that maybe he never should've been in Disma to begin with, but they haven't had to deal with the heat from that choice, either.

If this was the open-faced reason they needed to finally move on with no ambiguity, no uncertainty, then so be it and I applaud them for it.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:34 am 

The interview is one thing, but that Facebook post where he says it was a "social experiment" is one of the cringiest things I've ever read. Such a cowardly, pathetic move...especially hilarious because it's masked with a false sense of bravado. :lol: I honestly think I'd be less bothered if he had just come out and admitted that is he is/was a Nazi than claiming that he was "only pretending" as if that's supposed to make it all better :lol:. Granted, I don't listen to Disma or really any Pillard-related project except the two albums and EP he did with Incantation, which were presumably done before he fell off the deep end, so it's never really been something I've needed to question all that much.

ModusOperandi wrote:
If this was the open-faced reason they needed to finally move on with no ambiguity, no uncertainty, then so be it and I applaud them for it.

It's also worth mentioning that Craig Pillard was by far the most recognizable figure in the band, due to his connection to Incantation's classic albums - definitely an iconic vocalist and a big part of the reason the band got any attention to begin with, honestly. The two main guys, on the other hand, appear to be more or less unknowns. With the Funebrarum guy long gone - and Smilowski being a recent addition, I can understand them being anxious to fire Pillard outright over accusations.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:20 pm 

Craig still sounds amazing too and maybe they are still friends or something so who knows. Anyway they've basically never been booked for anything ever since they tried to start playing live like 5 years ago so firing him now just seems like getting mustard after the meal.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:21 pm 

I'm sure Pillard's much too bothered by his more pressing troubles with the World Jewry to let a little thing like getting kicked out of his band worry him.

Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:25 pm 

Good PR move.

I have always wanted to see them and I was supposed to at the first California Deathfest but they got dropped. It also seems like no one remembers Pillard did guitars and vocals on Incantation's best albums. Funebrarum just isn't the same. I wonder what Disma's gonna sound like now and who will replace him.

theposega wrote:
yeah they've pretty much become a t-shirt company at this point

Quoted for truth :nono:

Steve Nebraska
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:00 pm 

Ok so what’s the official reason he was let go? I don’t understand the whole no secret shit. Any case disma didn’t bring in anything exciting to the table. Whoever they are going to replace Craig with I’m sure is going to be the same results.

ingmar birdman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:30 pm 

Steve Nebraska wrote:
Ok so what’s the official reason he was let go? I don’t understand the whole no secret shit. Any case disma didn’t bring in anything exciting to the table. Whoever they are going to replace Craig with I’m sure is going to be the same results.

I assume the band is trying not to take sides here which is why they're not going out of their way to condemn Craig or call him a nazi, but it's safe to assume that some combination of pressure on the label (Profound Lore) or pressure on the band from the label or from venues led to the decision that they had to split with Craig.

I completely understand why they decided to split with him. I'm sure it wasn't worth the trouble of keeping him on, especially with Hot Shower coming up to remind everyone on the internet why they got mad at Craig in the first place.

That being said, I do have to roll my eyes a bit at the people (mostly back-patters on Twitter and Facebook) who are demanding that the band go further and "condemn Craig's beliefs" via public statement or suggesting that the band is still guilty because they took too long to fire him. I don't think death metal bands are obligated to run themselves like a focus group.

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:02 pm 

TheMysticWombat wrote:
It also seems like no one remembers Pillard did guitars and vocals on Incantation's best albums.

Pillard's involvement with early Incantation seems to have been Disma's main selling point ever since they released their album 8 or 9 years ago so I'm pretty sure it's still fresh in people's minds.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:17 pm 

I saw them live in 2012 and I thought they were terrific. Not even certain I knew that was Craig P. in the band at the time. I'm only saying this to illustrate that there's more to them than some admittedly-monstrous-sounding vocalist; surprised it took them this long to move on if they've really been getting that much shit for having him in the band, but then, bands are a funny thing, where internal chemistry sometimes counts for everything.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:52 pm 

Question is if you're okay just with having your cake or if you want to eat it too. If you wanna do your band in your rehearsal room/in the studio only, you can pretty much whoever you want in the band, believing in whatever they want. If you wanna do shows/festivals with other bands and an audience, you gotta pay more attention to who's in your band.

Bingewolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:54 pm 

Honestly, I'm not so sure this is going to be good PR... This has been a problem for Disma ever since 2011 when 'Towards the Megalith' was released. They started to get quite the buzz with hipster metal fans (as did everything Profound Lore released at that time) and started getting big festival opportunities. They were added to Chaos In Tejas and all hell broke loose.

This was the same year that Nyog was on Chaos In Tejas, btw... so it turned into a huge PR nightmare and both bands were removed. Craig has always said Disma and Sturmfuhrer have nothing to do with one another and should not be thought of together at all - despite that he's in both bands - and that Sturmfuhrer was just a project testing extremity and never meant actual hate. The band has stood by him and said similar things for 8 years now.

As the OP's article shows, Profound Lore has always stood by him as well and Chris Bruni thinks he's one of the best DM vocalists ever. Profound Lore has always been a "but the riffs!" apologist so I doubt the label had any influence here.

The only clear reasoning here is that he is now going to one of the biggest nazi parties of the year and playing as Sturmfuhrer. So, he clearly can't say this is in the past and he didn't mean it seriously anymore...

However, I don't think the band stands anything to gain at this point. They kept him around too long and destroyed the band's reputation already. They may think that kicking him out now will help them but the damage has been done and they'll likely find that out when they try to tour Europe again - the name Disma is now connected to NS and has been for too long. If they had kicked him out after the 'Chaos' incident, they could've played dumb and would've been forgiven... I don't think that will work out for them now.

Plus, and this is just an assumption, it seems to me that if Disma was still a viable option for Craig Pillard to make money, he wouldn't be announcing himself as a performer at Hot Shower in the first place. Clearly, the NS money is coming in more than the DM money at this point!

Shame too, I remember loving 'Megalith' when I heard it but, once all of this started unfolding back then, I never stayed in touch with what they were doing until this story resurfaced the whole thing.

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:09 pm 

I think Disma not coming out with new material has hurt them more in the long run than having a- at the time “suspected” Nazi as a singer (who at the time denounced those rumours and we all did the same). I think the critique of the band is unreasonable about their knowledge about Craig’s politics. I played in a band for years and we never talked politics, we talked about music. I can absolutely see an older band never even discussing those things.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:18 pm 

So where are the new tracks?

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:35 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Question is if you're okay just with having your cake or if you want to eat it too. If you wanna do your band in your rehearsal room/in the studio only, you can pretty much whoever you want in the band, believing in whatever they want. If you wanna do shows/festivals with other bands and an audience, you gotta pay more attention to who's in your band.

That's certainly true.

I do also agree with CultofKraken though; a lot of the time metal guys just don't talk about this sort of stuff. It's not like punk where you can kind of assume everyone is more-or-less on the same page, ideologically, when they're in a band. I've hung out with guys for years and still ended up being a little taken aback by some of their politics when it was finally out in the open. And I'd probably take a bandmate at his word if he said he didn't hold certain beliefs anymore, and defend his right to be in the band until something happened to undermine that.

It's weird that this all exploded with the Chaos in Tejas thing. I think they went straight there from Maryland Deathfest in 2012 along with a good number of the other bands, which is where I caught them. I don't remember any negative comments about them or their frontman that day...
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:45 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
droneriot wrote:

That's certainly true.

I do also agree with CultofKraken though; a lot of the time metal guys just don't talk about this sort of stuff. It's not like punk where you can kind of assume everyone is more-or-less on the same page, ideologically, when they're in a band. I've hung out with guys for years and still ended up being a little taken aback by some of their politics when it was finally out in the open. And I'd probably take a bandmate at his word if he said he didn't hold certain beliefs anymore, and defend his right to be in the band until something happened to undermine that.

It's weird that this all exploded with the Chaos in Tejas thing. I think they went straight there from Maryland Deathfest in 2012 along with a good number of the other bands, which is where I caught them. I don't remember any negative comments about them or their frontman that day...

I was once having a discussion with my father, who is a very left leaning person like myself, and we got on the subject of evolution/natural selection and he said he didn’t believe it. I was fucking floored! Here’s this person I’ve known all my life and holy shit I never saw that coming. This was only like 3-4 years ago. You can know someone for 37+ years and yet that doesn’t mean you know everything.

Bingewolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:10 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:

Yeah, I think it all snowballed with Chaos In Tejas because of the type of fans that fest had. The same year, Antisect and The Mob (amongst others) were playing too so the political blowback in the scene got crazy. I remember Timmy (the organizer) getting death threats over it from both sides. Funny enough and partly due to this incident, the festival imploded the following year. At the time it was quickly becoming the "big" American festival for alternative music (metal, punk, indie, etc).

That was also the last real time I heard about Disma outside of forum posts and social media too...

As for MDF, I think it's probably a bit more insulated than something like CIT. As you pointed out, I think a lot of metal fans don't talk about or care about political stuff like this when it comes to the music unless the bands are outspokenly political. Also, at MDF, Craig probably had a lot of fans from his Incantation days - and probably never heard of the other project. I had never heard of it until it came up in relation to Disma either...

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:28 pm 

I hadn't either, and he was a good vocalist, but it doesn't fix the fact that he's scum.

HaPoStaPu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:52 pm 

Like the album. Don't really care about musicians/powerless, frustrated kids and their radical poseur bs. Kill cops/Nazis/Jews/Christians blahdiblah. They all probably have some personal issues and need a cuddle from a big, hairy gay man who tells them that snuggling is ok.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:24 am 

Good riddance. I bought Towards the Megalith as soon as it came out and back then I had no idea that Craig Pillard was such an asshole. It's a great album and hopefully this means that the band can start being active again with a singer that isn't a nazi scumbag.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:53 am 

The "didn't know" argument is pretty silly here. Sturmführer's ideology is upfront. "Music videos" that are soley WWII marches etc. His public interview about wanting to meet Hitler and time travel to 1933 to enlist...

It's not like never having a conversation with a family member about a certain subject. Craig was very open about all of this during Sturmführer's first run. If something can be easily verified by a Google search, it's public knowledge. I can't Google cultofkraken's dad. :lol:

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:30 am 

Huh, I hadn't heard of Sturmführer before that Hot Shower thing, I don't actually spend that much of my day doing Google searches on death metal singers that were on an album I like almost three decades ago. If you do, that's okay, but I wouldn't say it's silly not to.

I've also never been in or heard of a band that vetted members for possible Nazi ties before their joining. I honestly think most people have better things to do than playing detective on everyone.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:47 am 

Unless this dude is really good at hiding his Nazi beliefs, it'd surprise me that they didn't know. It's one thing to harbor those beliefs but only share them anonymously on the internet, it's another entirely to play in a band devoted to the subject, and give interviews where you're going out of your way to draw the subject back to Nazis. I find it unlikely he kept it quiet enough that none of them were able to figure it out in the 11 years he was in the band.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:42 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Huh, I hadn't heard of Sturmführer before that Hot Shower thing, I don't actually spend that much of my day doing Google searches on death metal singers that were on an album I like almost three decades ago. If you do, that's okay, but I wouldn't say it's silly not to.

I've also never been in or heard of a band that vetted members for possible Nazi ties before their joining. I honestly think most people have better things to do than playing detective on everyone.

It's not about "vetting him" or actually doing a Google search. The point is it wasn't a secret Craig had those beliefs. If metalheads on forums knew about it years ago, I can safely guess his band members knew well before this whole drama started.

The earliest it was publicly addressed is 2015. I can't prove they knew before that, but they sure knew after.

There's a DISMA interview from 2012 where he talks about Sturmführer.

If this constitutes a well kept secret... :lol:

Last edited by MaleficDevilry on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:47 pm 

I had the impression in the original thread for Disma getting kicked off that festival that most people had never heard of Sturmführer.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next