Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:45 am 

I've been going back to Amon amarth's old albums and I'm remembering how rich and good the songwriting was in their old stuff. Twilight of the Thundergods was great and Surtur Rising was good, but you sort of noticed that they weren't writing music that wasn't as interesting anymore. Same thing with Enslaved where they wrote some of the most fantastic progressive/psychedelic black metal albums, but it sounded like with In Times that they were just making a C- album for the sake of making an album. The Sleeping Gods was good and Thorn was excellent, E was a pick up but overall they don't have the push they had in the past. I noticed when picking up a Blood Brothers album I bought years ago that they only put out a few albums years ago, yet they've been touring for somewhere near 10 years playing the music they had because it was good.

What are your opinions on bands who stop writing but still tour on what they made vs bands who still write but don't sound as motivated or creative?

Black/Doom label and distro(all metal genres)
http://www.temptationsofresonance.com

PeteGas
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:39 am 

I’d say Enslaved still rule and In Times was fantastic. They are definitely pushing their sound toward imo.

However I know what you mean. Amon Amarth is a great example of what you are talking about.

Another older band that is still killing it with awesome newer albums is Threshold.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:47 am 

Isn't it true of most artists that if they aren't being/feeling creative anymore, they should probably stop doing it? There's nothing worse than making your original ideas into redundant rehashes that spoil your legacy. That can't feel good for bands either.

I think whether they are recording material they don't believe in or playing music they have lost interest in, any band should call it a day.

PurpleDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:20 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
I think whether they are recording material they don't believe in or playing music they have lost interest in, any band should call it a day.

While I basically agree with this sentiment, I think we as listeners get sick of whatever a band is doing long before the bands themselves do a lot of the time. I imagine pretty much everyone on this board could quickly bring out a lengthy list of bands that have been producing similar albums with diminishing returns, but I'd bet you that most of those bands are making those albums because they do still like what they're doing and believe in their music. It's precisely because bands are calling it quits on their own terms that we get those oft-maligned lengthy, "redundant" discographies, and in that sense I don't think there's anything wrong with them. All the talk of legacy-tarnishing is pretty nonsensical to me; legacies are established by the existence of great albums, not the existence of great albums and nothing else.

As for the perpetual touring band, I've always seen them as a bit of a strange beast. I, personally, think I'd get sick of playing the exact same songs for years on end much faster than I'd get sick of writing new material, but obviously there are bands that are perfectly happy doing that. As a fan, I can certainly see the appeal, though it comes with its own form of diminishing return as time passes from the original release and the band can no longer play the songs like they used to.

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:38 am 

i love bolt thrower for their integrity in not releasing an album when it wasn't as good as their last one, and seeing them live in ~2012 (not quite sure about the year) was fantastic

also, i've got tickets to a metallica show next summer, and honestly, i'd be a lot more excited about that if they never released a single album after the 80's

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:31 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Isn't it true of most artists that if they aren't being/feeling creative anymore, they should probably stop doing it? There's nothing worse than making your original ideas into redundant rehashes that spoil your legacy. That can't feel good for bands either.

How do you expect these people to earn income?

Being in a “legacy act” is very much a job-there’s a demand for these bands, and these bands satisfy that demand. This is how these people make money, and they probably can’t do anything else.

Do you quit your job every time you aren’t “feeling” it?

The “legacy” concept astounds me. It seems to me that fans are more concerned about legacy than bands are. Why should fans give a shit about a band’s legacy? A ludicrous idea, really.

The OP is off base on Enslaved-they are still very vital, creativity speaking.
Obliteration

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:17 am 

Either way, who cares? I just listen to the stuff I like from a band no matter what. I guess I'd say bands that only release music once in a while? But even so - can't shit on "pointless new albums" acts if they need the money or whatever.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:21 am 

FirebathDan - the OP very clearly talks about bands still touring, just not recording albums anymore. Nobody is talking about bands quitting altogether. The question of the thread is whether to keep making mediocre albums as an "excuse to tour" and play the classic stuff or just tour without new albums and play the classic stuff.

To use an extreme example, I don't think whether AC/DC record 100 faceless albums in the same style in regular intervals or not has any meaningful impact on the demand to see them play their classics live.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:48 am 

Personally as an artist myself, I would rather see a band keep creating. There's no reason to discourage an artist if they still feel like they have something to say or new sounds to explore, and I would also hope that a band would stop if they weren't feeling it anymore. Of course, we'll never know when the artist realizes they honestly aren't feeling it anymore because every artist talks about how their newest thing is their best regardless of the actual quality.

On the other hand, bands that are exclusively live projects abhor me on principle but I understand why they exist. Demand is something that should be taken into account when it's basically your job (Though how many bands even qualify as "jobs" in this day and age?). But as a patron, I avoid concerts where it's blatantly obvious that the performers are "at work" due to how depressing they tend to be.

I think greater setlist flexibility would make a solid compromise and overall more pleasant experience. If Iron Maiden decided to stop making new albums, they'd probably still be touring on sets that highlight different eras of their career. Contrast that with Sabbath, who I'm glad to see go because they'd be regurgitating Iron Man and Paranoid with no variation until the heat death of the universe.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:42 am 

A band that has willingly stopped releasing new music for a long period of time has stopped being relevant for me. I might still occasionally listen to their old releases but I would rather focus on the numerous interesting bands that are still releasing new music. I would also not attend a show that only focuses on so-called classics except when it's maybe a farewell tour of a particularly outstanding group.

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:51 am 

joppek wrote:
i love bolt thrower for their integrity in not releasing an album when it wasn't as good as their last one, and seeing them live in ~2012 (not quite sure about the year) was fantastic

That's just their bullshit excuse. They could easily keep touring then. But then the death of the drummer gave them an excuse not to play live either and call it quits altogether.

But I can't imagine a band playing live for years and not come up with some good ideas idea for an album. The pointless album every two years, is, well, pointless, but if you have a fan base and can make a living playing live, coming out with something occasionally shouldn't be too much to ask. Heck, release an EP every 5 years, something. At least it will give you some exposure and keep you somewhat relevant.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:56 am 

Seems like a very subjective opinion as to which bands have "pointless" new albums. If the new stuff is just as good as the old, it just means they have a greater variety of songs to choose from. Who cares if the style is the same?

Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:17 pm 

Virtually no metal bands today write any material as good as their classic stuff and therefore any new album is "pointless".

_flow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:47 pm 

I cannot think of a worthy metal album past 2010-11; please correct me if I'm wrong (bar Enslaved).
I was probably touched by just one song on E. Same with the last Samael. The last Satyricon was awful.
I didn't seriously listen to the three albums past Vertebrae though.

I've always respected Twisted Sister. They did great by touring on that amazing classic stuff.
Same for Bolt Thrower.

The last two Priest albums are pointless, particularly the last one.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:01 pm 

A lot of bands have contractual obligations. They have to release albums, and do not have the luxury of saying nah, couldn't think of anything good this year.

Judas Priest is the perfect example. All of their albums from the last 20 years have had several really good tracks on them, but otherwise contain filler. I bet if they were allowed, they would release just an EP every couple of years, or a really good album every 5 or 6.

Plus, and this may sound stupidly obvious, artists are artists. They are driven to create. It's not like they can turn it off. So as long as they're doing that, and have the wherewithal to record some of it, and somebody buys it, then more power to them.

grindcrushed
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:13 pm 

Wrldeatr wrote:
joppek wrote:

That's just their bullshit excuse. They could easily keep touring then. But then the death of the drummer gave them an excuse not to play live either and call it quits altogether.

That's ridiculous. BT were literally just about to tour Australia when their drummer tragically died. They were selling out clubs worldwide up till then.

Co-incidentally, the band who I thought of straight away when I saw this thread was Memoriam. About to release their third pointless album in three years! Gimme a Bolt Thrower tour playing old songs over that crap any day..

Discordant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:18 pm 

Big_Grand wrote:
I've been going back to Amon amarth's old albums and I'm remembering how rich and good the songwriting was in their old stuff. Twilight of the Thundergods was great and Surtur Rising was good, but you sort of noticed that they weren't writing music that wasn't as interesting anymore. Same thing with Enslaved where they wrote some of the most fantastic progressive/psychedelic black metal albums, but it sounded like with In Times that they were just making a C- album for the sake of making an album. The Sleeping Gods was good and Thorn was excellent, E was a pick up but overall they don't have the push they had in the past.

I agree with this, both AA and Enslaved stoped being intresting to me right at these album you mention (eventhough I think "In Times" have one of the best Enslaved openers of all time). They still release decent (AA) and good (Enslaved) albums. I just rather listen to the back catalogues...

Artillery is another band I thought of, love the classic era and was really into "When Death Comes" when it was released. But since then they are really watering out their arsenal with subpar albums.

And on the other hand there is Emperor, who left it at 4 albums and just do shows now & then. Ihsahn is doing great albums but it was wise not to do them under the Emperor moniker.

https://imperiator.bandcamp.com/
Old-school Bathory/Immortal/Dissection

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:40 pm 

Discordant wrote:
Big_Grand wrote:
And on the other hand there is Emperor, who left it at 4 albums and just do shows now & then. Ihsahn is doing great albums but it was wise not to do them under the Emperor moniker.

I think Emperor was great until Isahn started doing solo stuff, he is I think one of the first examples of black metal musicians getting "boring" early, at least that's how I felt about his clean-vocal solo stuff, it just didn't feel as motivated as his symphonic solo stuff. Now that's not to say bands going clean vocals are a bad thing, Empyrium did it and they still have great writing. Even though Turn of the Tides wasn't at the same level as Weiland I felt, it was still a good album.

_flow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:08 pm 

I'm not an Emperor fan, but "angL" by Ihsahn appeals to me greatly.

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:10 pm 

Big_Grand wrote:
What are your opinions on bands who stop writing but still tour on what they made vs bands who still write but don't sound as motivated or creative?

I think the epitome of the first cathegory of bands would be Blasphemy, who recorded around 60 minutes worth of songs some 30 years ago and still gig semi-regulary and cash in on that.

idunnosomename
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:18 pm 

I mean they're not Archives-metal but surprising how Blue Oyster Cult (tried but tablet wont let me do the umlaut) are on perpetual tour but haven't written anything since an (excellent, imo) album in the early noughties (Curse of the Hidden Mirror) after their comeback (Heaven Forbid).

Hashhtag let BOC on the archives etc

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:05 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Virtually no metal bands today write any material as good as their classic stuff and therefore any new album is "pointless".

Both the idea that the classic stuff is better and the idea that because it is better the new stuff is pointless are very subjective. I can say that when I was Metallica live a couple years ago, "Halo on Fire" was one of the biggest highlights of the show for me.

Space_alligator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:38 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:

Cradle Of Filth make that statememt redundant.

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:15 pm 

A lot of bands seem to burn out creatively, for various reasons. Sometimes they try to change their sound but the new sound doesnt click with listeners like their old, classic stuff does, or they experiment with their music, and the experiments are not successful.

Or sometimes the opposite, they want to keep writing the style that got them famous, but it just ends up sounding "Same old same old" to the listener. Or perhaps the band are no longer even feeling it themselves, so it shows in the songwriting.

Or, they reach a period where the fun has gone out of it for them, the inspiration has dried up, and they are just releasing material, as Gtog said, to fulfill record contract obligations.

Not every band goes through that. Some still have a spark in them, or they discover a new energy, new inspiration after a string of mediocre albums. And yes, I would include Metallica in that latter category (though obviously plenty of people would dispute that one.)

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:38 am 

FirebathDan wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:

How do you expect these people to earn income?

Being in a “legacy act” is very much a job-there’s a demand for these bands, and these bands satisfy that demand. This is how these people make money, and they probably can’t do anything else.

Do you quit your job every time you aren’t “feeling” it?

Oddly enough, I'm at exactly that stage in my job now, where I'm considering quitting because I don't have any drive to do it and could get the money while doing something I prefer doing. I want to move on to something that is motivating or at least enjoyable for me.

I understand that some people are doing this as a job, and I guess that some bands like their ceaseless touring because it lets them feel good. I would not dispute that artists can feel good doing that, I just wonder how many who really care about the music are doing that. There are easier ways to earn a living, after all.

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:49 pm 

As a fan watching bands live, you can usually tell when bands are just going through the motions and doing it as a job, versus bands who still enjoy touring and playing live. With the latter, there is an energy and enthusiasm up there on stage which is infectious- you can really tell that the bands are giving it their all and feeling the energy of the crowd and the music. It's hard to explain but you can really feel it when the band is clicking and that they are still loving being up there.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:36 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:

Um....no.

Enslaved
Satan
Voivod
Amorphis
Grave Digger
Vintersorg

I could go on and on with examples to show how ridiculous that comment was.

Like your reviews?

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:35 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
Temple Of Blood wrote:

Um....no.

Enslaved
Satan
Voivod
Amorphis
Grave Digger
Vintersorg

I could go on and on with examples to show how ridiculous that comment was.

There are cases where the newer material is better in different ways to I'll admit, Monotheist was my favorite Celtic Frost album and there's a lot of people who think later Bathory was better than older Bathory.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:57 pm 

New material as good or better than classic material usually has to do with stylistic changes and a band turning out better at what they do later than what they did earlier. I disagree with all the examples brought up so far, early Enslaved in particular I find highly underrated and underappreciated nowadays, but there are bands like that.

Mind you, classic doesn't necessarily mean earliest. Di'Anno-era isn't what most people consider classic Maiden and Gates to Purgatory isn't what most people consider classic Running Wild, just to name the first two things I can think of. And few people consider Soulside Journey classic Darkthrone. Which makes you wonder about the Voivoid examples, when you compare to their "classic material", do you compare to War and Pain? Because I dunno if that's what most people consider classic Voivod.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:05 pm 

I don't think it's a universal truth that bands just reach a point of being bad and staying that way. I think a lot of it goes through phases and various internal or external influences affect things. Megadeth, for instance, had some rough years where they just consistently put out forgettable fare, like World Needs a Hero and such, where most albums felt like filler. I still really liked System Has Failed at the time, but eh, hardly touch it now. But then they delivered Endgame and Dystopia, and those are solid albums.

Very few will ever fully return to their glory days, but I don't think it's a guarantee (and I know this wasn't said in the OP, just noting) that they will necessarily just continue to slink away into boring oblivion. Some bands should almost certainly take a break until they get their creative juices flowing. Carcass seems a good example of this--they took a very long break, album-wise, between Swansong and Surgical Steel, but they still returned invigorated, and Surgical Steel is fucking awesome. In that regard, I'm glad they didn't just stop making albums.

Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:00 pm 

The next level of this is bands that realize they can't do their old material justice live any more and just quit.

lupin99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:54 am 

Their taste in metal is more underground then Harriet Tubman!

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:14 pm 

I think Repulsion is still touring with only a 30 year old album

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:38 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
The next level of this is bands that realize they can't do their old material justice live any more and just quit.

That isn't always the worst thing, it's better than a band like KISS that's still milking their material and just lip syncing everything. They should have taken their heavy weight championship belt years ago and gotten out.

Reply to topic