Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:57 pm 

I'm glad the fucked with a knife and stripped raped and strangled type lyrics are gone, but I've never really listened to them for the lyrical content. And on record at least Corpsegrinder buries Barnes as a vocalist IMO. Never seen SFU or CC with him so no opinion there.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:15 am 

SkullFracturingNightmare wrote:
Centuries of Torment is like, the blueprint on how to do a metal band documentary. I wish every band that's ever had a sub-par or just plain bad documentary released about them could get the Centuries of Torment treatment.

Centuries of Torment is a masterpiece of a documentary. I'm shocked Denise Korycki hasn't been hired/contracted to make one for every major metal band based on it.

As for frontmen, at first glance I think it's easier to give the nod to Barnes because of the records he was on and the had a dark charisma about him. But in terms of live performance, nothing beats a hard worker and George busts his ass night after night since 1996. People say you can't be taught/earn charisma and George is big argument against why that's bullshit.

If something were to happen to George and for whatever reason the rest of the band were to let Chris Barnes back in, I seriously doubt Cannibal would get such an increase in business to the point where they'd be playing sheds and arenas or whatever venue size is a class above what they're getting now. That's the biggest indicator over a frontman's popularity.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:00 am 

Well, most reviewers on the site seem to disagree, but I think Chris Barnes still was a strong growler up until Maximum Violence. But ever since True Carnage his voice took such a hit (both meanings of the phrase) that you can't use him for anything good anymore, and it just got worse with each album.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:43 am 

CloggedUrethra wrote:
The only thing not "death metal" about "Reign in Blood" is the vocals, but musically it could absolutely be considered death metal. It's way more extreme and evil-sounding than what other thrash and death bands were putting out for years and the riffs were way better than the garbage dump of early death metal classics.

:scratch:

:nono:

droneriot wrote:
The problem with the Barnes vs Corpsegrinder debate is that Corpsegrinder came with a stylistic shift in the band integrating more brutal death metal influences (while still mostly being OSDM, just influences) that not everybody liked at the time, and they blame Corpsegrinder, when really it had nothing to do with him, they wrote most of the stuff for Vile with Barnes in the band still and have an unreleased demo with him singing on Vile songs.

+1.

TrooperEd wrote:
Centuries of Torment is a masterpiece of a documentary.

I could finally start to watch it. :beer:

HaPoStaPu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:47 am 

Personally I quite like the genre Cannibal Corpse. I don't understand why you don't like them.

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:47 am 

Acrobat wrote:
PluviaSomniums wrote:
By these measurements Corpsegrinder is by far their most popular and recognizable frontman but the simple fact is Barnes changed the game with his lyrics. He also set the bar for a proper nasal pig squeal. Corpsegrinder can’t be denied his greatness but he’s not a seminal influence to the genre at large like Chris was

This is why Barnes is an iconic frontman; his lyrics were game changing in their sickness. Look at any old DM documentary and the two most quoted figures tend to be interviews with the guy with the cross burned into his forehead and lyrical quotations from the guy who wrote about ripping entrails from cunts, etc. Barnes might be less known nowadays but his influence as a death metal legend can never be denied.

I'm with you on this. Chris Barnes and Butchered at Birth-era CC were a game changer in death metal. It's one of the few things that make me go "How can anyone who likes death metal not like THIS?"

I've never been a big fan of Corpsegrinder in CC. I think he's the weakest link in their music.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:43 am 

The consistency of their sound has long become their weakest link. It's similar to bands like Immolation, they have a great style, great sound, invidual albums are great in a vacuum, but I kind of become numb to hearing the tenth or eleventh version of it. Listen to their entire discographies in a row and see how fast their styles and patterns are coming out your ears.

All the more respect to post-Those Once Loyal Bolt Thrower for saying they'll only release a new album if it's better than the last.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:57 pm 

I think there is enough variation, but I get the complaint. I liked the more thrashy vibe a lot of Red Before Black had, which made it stand out a bit IMO from albums like TWS, Kill, or Torture. And the Owens and Rusay material is different enough than the O'Brien + Owens/Barrett stuff. They wrote some percussive riffage back in the early days, and it grew more technical as they went on. Both were pretty awesome.

Eradicatedseraphim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:40 pm 

They're a cornerstone band like Darkthrone, Black Sabbath, Priest etc for me. I heard them on a Mixed burn CD way back in 2004 and I've loved them ever since. Even before that with the obvious exposure from Ace Ventura their early stuff is just fast and punishing, and paved the way for so many bands I love today. I think the Barnes era stuff is their obvious prime but Corpsegrinder era has some punishing albums in the way of Kill and Bloodthirst. They may be slightly formulaic now but it doesn't bother me at all

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:39 pm 

DrummingEdge133 wrote:
There's a lot more about Reign in Blood that isn't death metal, man. I'm no guitarist, so I can't get into much of the lingo, but I do have 2 ears that work, and there's a lot going on that's different. From guitar tone, tuning and production. Riffing style too. Whatever you're smoking, it's some crazy stuff, and I don't think I want to try any of it.

To completely dismiss the formative years of an entire massive sub-genre is also bizarre too. Do you like any death metal...at all...from any time period? Hard to believe you do, the way you've talked about the genre in this thread.

I think the riffing style in RIB totally fits with death metal and guitar tone/tuning/production isn't important, but even so, I don't see how those things are so different in RIB (the entire Barnes-era CC was tuned the same as RIB).

And yeah death metal is my fav genre, but like any music genre most of it isn't good. Autopsy, Obituary, Death, Morbid Angel are all blah. But to be fair, I just heard Sepultura's "Bestial Devastation" from 1985 and I was pleasantly surprised. Also heard Suffocation's "Effigy of the Forgotten" from 1991 and was really impressed. Somehow these slipped by me. I didn't realize Disgorge was a Suffocation clone.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:30 am 

Cannibal Corpse are a staple of the genre. They stayed true to their original intent and have been refining their style with every album. More crushing, more aggression, (differing) degrees of complexity, more horror movie inspired lyrics and artwork. The reason that they have stuck around so long and achieved the success that they have, comes down to three things; passion, dedication and damn hard work. If you get bored with the band that's personal taste and that is different for everyone, that's your business.

Classic band and I'm glad they're still going to be honest.

Last edited by Gunslinger21 on Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:29 am 

This thread actually had me go on quite the CC bender recently and Red Before Black has finally clicked with me. Hot damn is that a punchy ferociously heavy album. It’s completely unforgiving and has some cool nuances and twists which harken back to classic Corpse ala Butchered at Birth.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:15 am 

CloggedUrethra wrote:
And yeah death metal is my fav genre, but like any music genre most of it isn't good. Autopsy, Obituary, Death, Morbid Angel are all blah.

hey you shut the fuck up and unclog yourself, urethra

I'll let Obituary slide though

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:12 am 

TheMysticWombat wrote:
CloggedUrethra wrote:
And yeah death metal is my fav genre, but like any music genre most of it isn't good. Autopsy, Obituary, Death, Morbid Angel are all blah.

hey you shut the fuck up and unclog yourself, urethra

I'll let Obituary slide though

It’s probably best to just ignore the dumbest thing you’ll ever read.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:09 pm 

Actually I fully agree with CloggedUrethra because of his use of present tense. People may disagree about Autopsy but I'm lukewarm about the new albums at best, and that Heretic-lite, Diet Heretic, I can't believe it's not Heretic album Morbid Angel did, I already reviewed that.

Raindream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:15 pm 

Shitty review that reads like you listened to it once, 20% is a joke

MrSnackmix
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:46 pm 

They're a great road trip band.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:19 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Actually I fully agree with CloggedUrethra because of his use of present tense. People may disagree about Autopsy but I'm lukewarm about the new albums at best, and that Heretic-lite, Diet Heretic, I can't believe it's not Heretic album Morbid Angel did, I already reviewed that.

You can hate the album all you want, but Kingdoms Disdained sounds absolutely nothing like Heretic :lol:, in terms of sound/production or song structure - not even close. And furthermore, H is not a bad album by any means - the songwriting is fantastic, it just suffers from weak production and an overabundance of interludes and both issues were rectified on K.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:30 pm 

They already started on Gateways with the riffless percussive thing that sounds the same from start to finish for people who need more Meshuggah in their death metal, and they just went further down that dead end with Heretic and Kingdoms, if it makes people happy to listen to that kind of stuff it's fine by me, I'm happy with my Morbid Angel discography just being Altars and Formulas.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:45 pm 

droneriot wrote:
They already started on Gateways with the riffless percussive thing that sounds the same from start to finish for people who need more Meshuggah in their death metal, and they just went further down that dead end with Heretic and Kingdoms, if it makes people happy to listen to that kind of stuff it's fine by me, I'm happy with my Morbid Angel discography just being Altars and Formulas.

Well....if that's all you took from those albums, you just need to listen to them more :lol:. Like I said, you can hate them all you want - even I'll admit they have their faults, but boiling it all down to "riffless percussive" elements is a massive exaggeration and oversimplification. This is Morbid Angel we're talking about, not fucking Decapitated.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:54 pm 

Not really an exaggeration but something about the way I hear Morbid Angel. I actually don't feel too different about Blessed and Covenant. A few years ago there was a short-lived trend among reviewers to claim death metal was only good if it showed its thrash roots, and I whole-heartedly disagreed with it with one exception - Morbid Angel. Something about them just sounds like twenty vibrators in a washing machine to me if Trey isn't shredding thrashy riffs. I know they're a lot more intricate and riffy than all the brutal death metal stuff you may think I'm comparing them to, but I think it's just the contrast to their thrashy material that makes it all sound so dull and monotonous to me.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:08 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Not really an exaggeration but something about the way I hear Morbid Angel. I actually don't feel too different about Blessed and Covenant. A few years ago there was a short-lived trend among reviewers to claim death metal was only good if it showed its thrash roots, and I whole-heartedly disagreed with it with one exception - Morbid Angel. Something about them just sounds like twenty vibrators in a washing machine to me if Trey isn't shredding thrashy riffs. I know they're a lot more intricate and riffy than all the brutal death metal stuff you may think I'm comparing them to, but I think it's just the contrast to their thrashy material that makes it all sound so dull and monotonous to me.

I see, that's fair. I can relate a little because I feel sort of the same way about Immolation, I vastly prefer Dawn of Possession to anything they did later.

frostjunkie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:49 pm 

Quick question/request, does anyone have pics of Cannibal's merch stand from the Decibel tour(or can describe what was there)? I was at the Seattle show and stupidly forgot to look at what they had other than the shirts, I think there was a bunch of stuff set up on the table.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:43 pm 

frostjunkie wrote:
Quick question/request, does anyone have pics of Cannibal's merch stand from the Decibel tour(or can describe what was there)? I was at the Seattle show and stupidly forgot to look at what they had other than the shirts, I think there was a bunch of stuff set up on the table.

Don't even bother, I saw them on the 21st and before the end of the show all the tour shirts and longsleeves were completely sold out, and the rest was either S or XL+. Killer show though.

frostjunkie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:18 pm 

I collect their stuff so more just interested in the little bits and bobs they may have had, there was people crowding the merch table the whole show so I couldn't see anything very well. I got a signed biography book on the Napalm Death/Immolation tour a few years back for instance.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:43 pm 

I still can't believe that tour missed Salt Lake City. Went to all the usual surrounding cities, just bypassed Utah.

ReignInBloodyGore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:01 pm 

My first time hearing Cannibal Corpse was from a Various Artists DVD of death metal videos Nuclear Blast put out called Monsters of Death. It was the song, “Decency Defied.” God did I hate that song/video. Back then, I never liked or understood the band’s appeal to metalheads.

But then a very unexpected source got me to understand and appreciate the band. As a teen, I subscribed to Revolver magazine, and while most of the magazine was quite honestly not that good, there was a great interview with Corpsegrinder about their music. And the way he explained their music made me instantly appreciate everything. Something to do with their influence taken from horror films and how the lyrics were to be taken as miniature horror film storyline/themes. And then I started to like “Decency Defied.”

I bought The Wretched Spawn, which is still my favorite album of theirs today, and eventually and truly I have bought every album they’ve ever released. I’m a fan of this band now. But I have to say regarding the vocalist debate, I am not a fan of the vocals Chris Barnes brought. You had to follow with lyric sheets to keep up with what he’s saying most of the time, especially in the first two or three albums. The effectiveness of the lyrics for me depends on the ability to at least follow a lyric sheet and sort of pick out he words they are growling. Corpsegrinder’s enunciation is amazing in comparison to Barnes, which is already for me a huge reason I think the Corpsegrinder era of the band is far superior. I just found the Barnes era to be way too sloppy and unclear, which isn’t always a bad thing to me, but in their case, it reduced the effectiveness of their music.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:03 am 

frostjunkie wrote:
I collect their stuff so more just interested in the little bits and bobs they may have had, there was people crowding the merch table the whole show so I couldn't see anything very well. I got a signed biography book on the Napalm Death/Immolation tour a few years back for instance.

From what I remember, I believe a signed drumhead, along with signed art sheets. Other than that, mainly the newer albums and patches, etc. The shirt selection was pretty shitty since most of them were based on newer song titles.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4