* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:47 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
MutantClannfear wrote:
I honestly can't really imagine how somebody could prefer it to any of their numerous other excellent albums, let alone all of them.

Well, the bleeding is their best selling album and one of the top 5 selling dm albums of all time in the US so maybe it's just you.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bleeding_(album)

It's not just MutantClannfear. As far as I'm concerned, Cannibal Corpse has been putting out some of their best material in the last few years (A Skeletal Domain and Red Before Black are easily their best albums since the phenomenal Bloodthirst, and they blow anything Deicide or Morbid Angel have done since their classic albums out of the water) but The Bleeding doesn't even stand up to the rest of the Chris Barnes era. I'd take the debut or Tomb of the Mutilated over that one any day of the week.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:39 pm 

What's to understand? It's just reliable meat & potatoes death metal. The good kind, not the bad kind like Six Feet Under.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:36 pm 

Red Before black may be my favorite CC record.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:02 pm 

A Skeletal Domain is indeed an excellent album. Followed by I think Evisceration Plague.

frostjunkie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:34 pm 

Ezadara wrote:
Temple Of Blood wrote:
MutantClannfear wrote:
The Bleeding doesn't even stand up to the rest of the Chris Barnes era. I'd take the debut or Tomb of the Mutilated over that one any day of the week.

Huge CC fan and I agree completely. Bought that recent Decibel magazine issue on them for the collection and it's pretty awful and totally predictable, just goes on about The Bleeding being so great because it's catchy and Kill being their breakthrough comeback album or something. They even had some top 100 songs list and of course Hammer Smashed Face was #1, and songs like Blowtorch Slaughter and Pit of Zombies weren't even on there or mentioned. I get that this wasn't written for fans really though, more like an introduction for teenagers(which is fine), I needed that flexi though...

Last edited by frostjunkie on Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:35 pm 

I think it's ridiculous for anyone to call Cannibal Corpse a generic death metal band. If they sound like a lot of other bands it's because they've been influential. And frankly, a lot of those bands either miss what makes CC great or just can't do it as well. I think their ability to write riffs that are fairly complicated but immediately catchy is the key to their success. Their music is over the top and brutal but it's honestly pretty fun without being stupid.

I think if you can't get the appeal or feel the need to bring up how much better early Morbid Angel is (even though it is) you're just thinking too hard.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:57 pm 

Centuries of Torment is like, the blueprint on how to do a metal band documentary. I wish every band that's ever had a sub-par or just plain bad documentary released about them could get the Centuries of Torment treatment.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:29 pm 

GTog wrote:
A Skeletal Domain is indeed an excellent album. Followed by I think Evisceration Plague.

Evisceration Plague is fucking awesome.

Raindream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:28 pm 

Ezadara wrote:
they blow anything Deicide or Morbid Angel have done since their classic albums out of the water)

No way, Kingdoms Disdained is better than both of those albums. All the Tucker Angel albums are.

That said I love CC and don’t think they’ve ever done a less than stellar record. A Skeletal Domain and The Wretched Spawn are my favs.

Roktan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:29 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
What's not to understand? Just cup the mike, go "grrt grrt grrt, grrt grrt grrt" over and over, and twirl your head around so your hair whips around in a circle.

No seriously, they are not my favorate band either but I can see why people like them. It is aggressive, noisy and brutal, and their music is pretty consistant (for better or for worse.)

I just want to point out, that George never cups the mic when he growls. In fact, one time there was a contest to see who could do the best death growl and whoever won got to talk to George, and he mentions specifically that he hates that shit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBhg51kROQ8

YouTube channel of vocal covers and stream uploads: https://www.youtube.com/user/Roktan
Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/redlightroktan
Twitter: @RedLightRoktan

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:54 am 

I saw them in 1995 or so, and Chris Barnes was the singer, and I havent seen them play live since that time. So I dont know that much about George Fisher's vocal techniques.

Chris Barnes was DEFINITLY cupping the mic when I saw him sing live with them on stage back in the mid-1990s though. And all the members did the hair twirling thing.

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:02 am 

Cannibal Corpse is a great death metal band. They are very consistent. They have been around for thirty years and are still producing great albums. There aren’t very many bands that are as consistent as CC. They put on a great live show too.

frostjunkie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:17 am 

overtenmy wrote:
Cannibal Corpse is a great death metal band. They are very consistent. They have been around for thirty years and are still producing great albums. There aren’t very many bands that are as consistent as CC. They put on a great live show too.

Cannniiiibal Corpse.

Sorry but I read this in Wesley Willis' voice and it worked perfectly.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:30 am 

SkullFracturingNightmare wrote:
Centuries of Torment is like, the blueprint on how to do a metal band documentary. I wish every band that's ever had a sub-par or just plain bad documentary released about them could get the Centuries of Torment treatment.

that is fucking awesome and is really the thing that got me to give them a second look back when I saw it.

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:57 am 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
SkullFracturingNightmare wrote:

that is fucking awesome and is really the thing that got me to give them a second look back when I saw it.

Centuries of Torment is a great video. It was really cool to see all of the interviews with the band members and hear about the history of the band.
I was a little late in getting to like CC. I think I avoided them for years because I thought they were a generic death metal band. Upon my second time checking them out I was convinced the drumming sucked. I was used to the modern drummer that only does blast beats. Obviously I was wrong. I was reading something a while ago and the person mentioned Paul is one of the people that make their sound unique. If he was replaced with someone like Derek Roddy, the sound would be completely different. Anyway I’m a big fan now. I like all of their albums. Their releases since 2006 have been some of their best. However I think “Gallery of Suicide” is one of my favorites.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:19 am 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Nope it’s just you.

I wish the thread would have ended here.

k311250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:10 am 

They are just goofy death metal. There's nothing to get honestly, it's ok if you don't like them.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:53 am 

Cannibal has a lot of things going for them that have ensured their continued major success:

* A really strong frontman. I don't think it's really up for debate that George Fisher is an iconic figure, and the main reason behind that is that he has great stage presence, knows how to work a crowd, and always comes off as a goofy, fun dude who is easy for even casual listeners to relate to.
* Distinctive writing styles from all three main writers that work in harmony. Alex writes the straightforward Cannibal songs that are usually on the groovier side (and sometimes have the flashier bass work), Pat writes the really technical and/or dark stuff, and Rob is the thrasher.
* The understanding of the power of a good hook. They grew up on trad and thrash, so their influences were all working in a pop-based songwriting context, and they took that with them. Face it, Cannibal songs are catchy, and even if it's a simple hook, those hooks are staying with you.
* A solid drummer with an instantly recognizable style. Anyone who gives Paul shit for being a simple player is missing the entire point of Cannibal: Pat, Rob, and Alex do the crazy shit, while Paul Max Weinbergs it with a simple, but powerful and consistent approach and a strong groove.
* Approachability. They're heavy, but not too heavy for mainstream listeners who got started with Metallica and then moved to Lamb of God to latch onto. There's a reason why they're a common gateway band.
* Professionalism and lack of bullshit drama. The Pat debacle notwithstanding, they aren't synonymous with childish antics like, say, Deicide. They've had drama in the past (Rusay, Barnes, kinda Rob the first time around), but they resolved it quietly and with no real blowups or tabloid behavior, then let it go. Sure, Rusay refuses to talk with them, but that's on him, while Barnes is happy to go his own way, and Rob obviously made amends and came back. As for touring, I mean, you can ask venue employees and bands who have toured with them and they will all say the same things: they're nice, friendly dudes who treat venue employees and supports with respect, don't get wasted, respect the places they're playing in, and resolve issues swiftly, tactfully, and decisively when they do come up.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:13 pm 

I would debate the fact that Corpsegrinder is an 'iconic' frontman. :P

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:43 pm 

Acrobat wrote:

He had a fairly popular cartoon character based on him. I’d say that makes him pretty iconic.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:09 pm 

I miss Metalocalypse...

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:29 pm 

Acrobat wrote:

Um....are you joking? He's easily the single most iconic frontman in the entirety of death metal, and arguably extreme metal as a whole.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:05 pm 

Yeah, when mainstream listeners think of death metal frontmen, I think it's a safe bet that they're gonna think of George first. They're probably also aware of Nergal and maybe Trevor Strnad, Johan Hegg, Glen Benton, or Frank Mullen as well, but I guarantee that while they know who the other guys are, the association is nowhere near as immediate.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:21 pm 

true_death wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

Um....are you joking? He's easily the single most iconic frontman in the entirety of death metal, and arguably extreme metal as a whole.

Really? There's that guy with the cross burned into his forehead? Or Barnes who appeared in a film that has had a more viewers than any mid-2000s cartoon. How about Frank from Suffocation, too, whose antics are far more well-known within the scene itself. Or Dave Vincent? John Tardy?

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:29 pm 

Corpsegrinder is definitely iconic. Cannibal Corpse is the best selling death metal band, I believe. And Corpsegrinder has been fronting them since 1995. I'm truly puzzled anyone in the know wouldn't consider him iconic.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:36 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
true_death wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

Really? There's that guy with the cross burned into his forehead? Or Barnes who appeared in a film that has had a more viewers than any mid-2000s cartoon. How about Frank from Suffocation, too, whose antics are far more well-known within the scene itself. Or Dave Vincent? John Tardy?

“Appeared” is generous in regards to Ace Ventura. There was no point in that scene where Barnes established anything memorable as a frontman. People always namedropped Cannibal Corpse in that scene not Barnes himself. As far as the mainstream is concerned they don’t know any of the people you name dropped. I guarantee more people know Nathan Explosion, and by proxy George Fisher. Face it he’s definitely more iconic.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:27 pm 

Nope, he's not. Barnes's style is still what's known in the mainstream as a death metal vocalist. Especially when it comes to the lyrical style, that's still infamous. Honestly, I've been in the metal scene for almost 20 years and the name "Nathan Explosion" doesn't even resonate with me, Barnes is an icon for being the first death metal vocalist who exposed that style to millions, and while that's not necessarily a household name it's still more noteworthy than the guy from Monstrosity who does long screams and had a bit part in some shitty cartoon that some people watched 10 years ago.

Again, whilst Benton, Vincent and Tardy aren't household names, they're still much more likely to be iconic than the "everyman" growler in CC, who, while well liked by metal fans, isn't even the most iconic frontman to have fronted Cannibal Corpse. :P

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:56 pm 

I don't think any non-metal fans can name any death metal vocalist. CC is the band they're most familiar with (more because of the controversies than Ace Ventura), but that doesn't extend to the individual members.

Raindream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:17 pm 

If either CC vocalist is “iconic” it’s defintiey Barnes. He’s pretty much the archetypal dm frontman. Though my ears prefer George.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:24 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
Nope, he's not. Barnes's style is still what's known in the mainstream as a death metal vocalist. Especially when it comes to the lyrical style, that's still infamous. Honestly, I've been in the metal scene for almost 20 years and the name "Nathan Explosion" doesn't even resonate with me, Barnes is an icon for being the first death metal vocalist who exposed that style to millions, and while that's not necessarily a household name it's still more noteworthy than the guy from Monstrosity who does long screams and had a bit part in some shitty cartoon that some people watched 10 years ago.

Again, whilst Benton, Vincent and Tardy aren't household names, they're still much more likely to be iconic than the "everyman" growler in CC, who, while well liked by metal fans, isn't even the most iconic frontman to have fronted Cannibal Corpse. :P

Well if we’re measuring, ive been in the scene longer than 20 years. I can tell you if we’re talking cultural icons, most non-metal people are more aware of George/Nathan Explosion than anyone else. What makes one iconic is how identifiable they are and synonymous with a genre from the outside.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:34 pm 

Corpsegrinder absolutely is iconic in heavy metal. He's practically a celebrity. Whether Barnes is or isn't as well is a separate issue. If he is, it doesn't mean Corpsegrinder isn't.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:00 pm 

You'd have to be really fucking ignorant to think John Tardy or David Vincent are more iconic than Corpsegrinder.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:48 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
Barnes is an icon for being the first death metal vocalist who exposed that style to millions, and while that's not necessarily a household name it's still more noteworthy than the guy from Monstrosity who does long screams and had a bit part in some shitty cartoon that some people watched 10 years ago.

You've got to be either insane, or completely out of touch with the death metal scene to seriously think this :lol:. All the ones you mentioned are certainly icons and legends, even, but none of them are even in the same universe as Corpsegrinder in terms of popularity or iconic status. For starters...you don't seem to even know what he's famous for, it's not his "long screams" or time in Monstrosity (???) that makes him iconic, it's his extremely fast headbanging, the strength and instantly recognizable nature of his vocals, and his general appearance (ridiculously huge neck) and demeaner. Also, people aren't trying to say that Nathan Explosion is what makes him iconic or famous, but rather the very fact that the character (which by the way, was the main character of an extremely popular Adult Swim show) was stylized 100% after him is telling of the iconic status he reaches - he's the face of death metal as a whole. It's not comparable to Chris Barnes 10 second cameo in Ace Ventura in any way, shape or form...

If you still have doubts, he's so iconic that after the creators of the hugely popular MMO World of Warcraft found out he was a fan, they literally added in a character modelled after him called "Gorge the Corpse Grinder" into the game as a tribute to him.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:18 am 

"That guy from Monstrosity"? Dude, it's been over 20 years. Time to update your collection.

Raindream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:03 am 

true_death wrote:
it's his extremely fast headbanging, the strength and instantly recognizable nature of his vocals, and his general appearance (ridiculously huge neck) and demeaner. Also, people aren't trying to say that Nathan Explosion is what makes him iconic or famous, but rather the very fact that the character (which by the way, was the main character of an extremely popular Adult Swim show) was stylized 100% after him is telling of the iconic status he reaches - he's the face of death metal as a whole. It's not comparable to Chris Barnes 10 second cameo in Ace Ventura in any way, shape or form...

If you still have doubts, he's so iconic that after the creators of the hugely popular MMO World of Warcraft found out he was a fan, they literally added in a character modelled after him called "Gorge the Corpse Grinder" into the game as a tribute to him.

By these measurements Corpsegrinder is by far their most popular and recognizable frontman but the simple fact is Barnes changed the game with his lyrics. He also set the bar for a proper nasal pig squeal. Corpsegrinder can’t be denied his greatness but he’s not a seminal influence to the genre at large like Chris was

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:52 am 

He's also not the complete embarrassment that Barnes is, though.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:30 pm 

Influential is not really the same thing as iconic. Does anyone really know who Barnes is anymore outside of knowledgeable death metal fans?

Corpsegrinder is in WoW, ffs.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:20 pm 

PluviaSomniums wrote:
true_death wrote:
it's his extremely fast headbanging, the strength and instantly recognizable nature of his vocals, and his general appearance (ridiculously huge neck) and demeaner. Also, people aren't trying to say that Nathan Explosion is what makes him iconic or famous, but rather the very fact that the character (which by the way, was the main character of an extremely popular Adult Swim show) was stylized 100% after him is telling of the iconic status he reaches - he's the face of death metal as a whole. It's not comparable to Chris Barnes 10 second cameo in Ace Ventura in any way, shape or form...

By these measurements Corpsegrinder is by far their most popular and recognizable frontman but the simple fact is Barnes changed the game with his lyrics. He also set the bar for a proper nasal pig squeal. Corpsegrinder can’t be denied his greatness but he’s not a seminal influence to the genre at large like Chris was

Absolutely, but I'm not arguing that Corpsegrinder is more influential than Barnes, only that he's a bigger and more recognizable cultural figure (in terms of metal, obviously :lol:). As someone earlier said, he's easily the closest thing to a "celebrity" that exists in the death metal scene. Barnes is for sure an icon too, but think about what he's known for these days (not counting his Cannibal Corpse days)...his deteriorating voice, obsession with weed, maybe his dreadlocks, the infamous "Graveyard Classics" series...he doesn't have as prolific (or positive) of an image, even if he does do car commercials :lol:.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:01 pm 

That commercial - damn, what a find. HAMMER SMASHED PARK AUTO MALL!

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:09 pm 

PluviaSomniums wrote:

This is why Barnes is an iconic frontman; his lyrics were game changing in their sickness. Look at any old DM documentary and the two most quoted figures tend to be interviews with the guy with the cross burned into his forehead and lyrical quotations from the guy who wrote about ripping entrails from cunts, etc. Barnes might be less known nowadays but his influence as a death metal legend can never be denied.

The Monstrosity references were joking, I should have made that clearer.

Also, the guy arguing that Corpsegrinder is the most iconic frontman in extreme metal is nuts, not me. :P

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next