Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:18 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
This may be death metal album of the year for me so far. OSDM from Mexico on Iron Bonehead.

This album kicks ass. Heavy Sadistic Intent influence and I also hear a bit of Blood Incantation in there as well. Morbid Angel and Mortem fans are sure to love this. My only major gripe is that the quality tapers off a little in the second half. Still one of the better death metal albums I've heard this year and definitely the best death metal debut.

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:29 pm 

Firespawn Abominate
It seems that this “supergroup” (Entombed AD, Unleashed, and Necrophobic) has found their sound on their 3rd full length release. While their two previous albums had some real bangers, both albums had a lot of mediocrity going on and much of those albums were somewhat forgettable. Not so with Abominate. Every single song is catchy with plenty of riffing, soloing, and variance. Petrov sounds like an absolute monster the entire album and really puts power behind the music. This album won’t win AOTY, but it is passionate and professional in all facets. If you’re looking for some solid head banging Death Metal, this may hit the spot for you.

GravefieldsEmbrace the Void
This “debut” with Alan Hurley and Thomas Blanc is quite a beast. It’s got a Science Fiction/Mechanical aesthetic to it, reminds me a lot of Solium Fatalis. There are tons of riffs embedded in each song, and while it’s mostly Black/Death Metal, there are some genre bending passages throughout the album. There’s a lot to enjoy on the surface in the first few listens, but with every subsequent listen, I’m discovering new things to enjoy. Embrace the Void just begs to be listened to with a good sound system or good headphones as there’s so much to discover in each song. I can already tell that as I grow more familiar with the album, it will continue to climb up my best of 2019 list.

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:06 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dustroy_Troly
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:12 pm 

Akasha - Canticles of the Sepulchral Deity

A new discovery from today. Noisy, vicious black metal with a hellish energy. Loved it from first listen. Has RIFFS.

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:48 pm 

Another solid release from Germany's Vulture, "Ghastly Waves & Battered Graves"
https://vulturekills.bandcamp.com/album ... red-graves

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:57 am 

exsiccation wrote:
MeltedFace wrote:
Firespawn Abominate
It seems that this “supergroup” (Entombed AD, Unleashed, and Necrophobic) has found their sound on their 3rd full length release. While their two previous albums had some real bangers, both albums had a lot of mediocrity going on and much of those albums were somewhat forgettable. Not so with Abominate. Every single song is catchy with plenty of riffing, soloing, and variance. Petrov sounds like an absolute monster the entire album and really puts power behind the music. This album won’t win AOTY, but it is passionate and professional in all facets. If you’re looking for some solid head banging Death Metal, this may hit the spot for you.

I agree. Really surprised. I was expecting another forgettable album, but this one is pretty sick.

I actually love their first two but I’m pleased the new one is turning some heads.

Blood Veinen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:05 pm 

Kommodus - An Imperial Sun Rises
https://kommodus.bandcamp.com/album/an- ... -sun-rises

Fourth demo from this Aussie one-man black metal project. The previous three demos are very solid as well but this is his best and most refined material yet in my opinion. A barrage of raw but catchy tunes, with an interesting thematic concept around the Japanese author Yukio Mishima.

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:59 pm 

New Slough Feg is out today, holy hell it is good. Best since Hardworlder even...

New Ravensire out today is also good, maybe their best from what I have heard so far.

It is a fantastic year for heavy/trad type metal (also for black metal, esp DsO and Misþyrming!!).

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:15 pm 

The new Slough Feg is really like a quintessential work for them; seems to sum up their whole style very well. Heaviest stuff they've done in like 15 years too.

AuldAnxiety
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:38 am 

The new Ripped to Shreds and Sadistic Ritual records came out yesterday. Both are excellent!

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:01 am 

Just got the new Firespawn, and yeah...it's easily their best one yet. Really solid songwriting and great production. While I liked their first two albums, I agree that there was some mediocre and spotty stuff on them at times - this is the album I always thought they had in them to really solidify their sound. And yeah, LG sounds awesome!

~Guest 454771
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:51 pm 

Kaatayra's "No Ruidar da Mata que Mirra" is quite good: https://kaatayra.bandcamp.com/releases

Kindof a Brazilian Paysage-meets-Panopticon. :D

I also like the cover art a lot!

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:19 pm 

skape/wormlust collab is a really cool slab of warped modern bm. couple parts remind me of massive conspiracy against all life which is always a positive.

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:52 pm 

Raw Finnish black metal. A cool little throwback to Ulver's Nattens Madrigal

https://meillaolivainyo.bandcamp.com/al ... -muistelot

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:42 pm 

Good find on that Kaatayra album! I'm enjoying this so far. The songs here are creatively and intelligently written.

Gore__Grinder wrote:
Raw Finnish black metal. A cool little throwback to Ulver's Nattens Madrigal

https://meillaolivainyo.bandcamp.com/al ... -muistelot

Yeah, this was a cool one. Pretty damn raw as well.

deopisi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:22 pm 

theposega wrote:
skape/wormlust collab is a really cool slab of warped modern bm. couple parts remind me of massive conspiracy against all life which is always a positive.

Really impressive collaboration, they gave their best.
I love that kind of songwriting, every listen reveals something.

Now I'm addicted to A beacon in the husk by Abyssal, magnificent

Last edited by deopisi on Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:40 pm 

Just checking out "Cursed To Witness Life" by Worsen. A little bit of Mgła worship, at least musically. A little cleaner, maybe. I'm really digging it so far.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:28 am 

Glare of the Sun – Theia

Doom/Post-Metal that is just outstanding.
Haven't had time do give it that many spins, I just discovered it. But damn it almost sounds top 10-ish!

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:33 am 

Anyone else think this has been a very, very slow year so far, especially compared to this time last year? I just can't seem to find much that interests me, and trust me I devote the time to searching.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:41 am 

Nah I think this is the best year in a long time. So many amazing releases it's hard for me to keep count really. I've had trouble listening to all of it enough to rank them or whatever.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:26 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Anyone else think this has been a very, very slow year so far, especially compared to this time last year? I just can't seem to find much that interests me, and trust me I devote the time to searching.

It depends on what styles you listen to. Last year was non-stop all the way but this year has also been slow to me. But there's been a lot of trad metal stuff so I guess it's a matter of taste more so than anything else.

deopisi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:21 pm 

I'm mainly interested in modern/dissonant/chaotic/avant/etc black/death and very personal stuff in general, for me every year is a fantastic year musically, the time to dedicate to listening is never enough

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:39 pm 

I really was pleasantly surprised by the new Memoriam. I found it to be full of catchy riffs and some epic moments. Karl vocals were definitely more enjoyable to me on this one. Tracks like Undefeated and Austerity Kills in particular really had me nodding my head.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:47 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:

Absolutely. Very few albums that have blown me away, and I buy 2-3 albums a week. Most releases I've picked up have just been "pretty good" at best. That said, the new Superstition and Gygax have my attention at the moment.

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:24 am 

androdion wrote:
Pitiless Wanderer wrote:

It depends on what styles you listen to. Last year was non-stop all the way but this year has also been slow to me. But there's been a lot of trad metal stuff so I guess it's a matter of taste more so than anything else.

I very much agree, this year has been disappointing. My favorite genre(sub) is dsbm and there just haven't been the number of releases that I would love in the genre.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:09 am 

loving the Smoulder, Hath, and Panzerfaust albums

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:21 am 

Lord Vicar "The Black Powder". Superb Trad Doom for fans of Reverend Bizarre, Saint Vitus, Pentagram, The Gates Of Slumber etc.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:58 am 

I don't believe it's been mentioned but the new album by Mirror is incredible stuff. I love how they approach traditional metal with more eastern-style scales. Wish I'd known about these guys sooner!

https://stareatthemirrorandweep.bandcam ... -of-terror

Bladius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:31 pm 

The new Fleshgod Apocalypse has not been generating a lot of discussion. I've always been a fan of the band and with this one, they continue to push the boundaries of symphonic tech death. The guitars could have been a little higher in the mix though.

The new Diamond Head is very impressive.

The latest Gloryhammer is also a nice return to the form they had on the debut.

Majestica - Above the Sky. Excellent power metal.

Xentrix - Bury the Pain. British cult thrashers are back with a vengeance.

So, this year is by no means slow as there are already dozens of great albums to choose from.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:02 pm 

Bladius wrote:
The new Diamond Head is very impressive.

Heck, yeah. I really liked the last one, too. Their vocalist is great.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:42 am 

Man, the new Suffering Hour EP just absolutely rips. It's just one 18 min song but it's damn good.

https://sufferinghour.bandcamp.com/album/dwell

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:06 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Man, the new Suffering Hour EP just absolutely rips. It's just one 18 min song but it's damn good.

I was a huge fan of In Passing Ascension but just can't get into this EP as much, but I seem to be basically the only one so it must just be me.

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:33 pm 

Emyreal - My Own Living Hell [Blackened Death Metal/Blackened Melodic Death Metal]

Add this album to the long list of fantastic full length debuts I've heard this year. This album has a ton of great riffing/compositions and it is dense as hell, there's always something new to discover every time you listen to it. I labeled it with those genres because they are the genres that are predominant for the most part, but there are passages that are much more Melodic Death Metal, Melodic Black Metal, Death/Black Metal, etc. It's a wonderful blend of Black and Death styles, and I think Empyreal has something special here.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:26 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:

It's definitely cool. When I saw them when they were touring with Sinmara a few months ago, they played this in its entirety. It was more impressive in a live setting.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:42 pm 

ah that sounds like a good show. I liked the last Sinmara album quite a bit

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:55 pm 

MeltedFace wrote:
Emyreal - My Own Living Hell [Blackened Death Metal/Blackened Melodic Death Metal]

Add this album to the long list of fantastic full length debuts I've heard this year. This album has a ton of great riffing/compositions and it is dense as hell, there's always something new to discover every time you listen to it. I labeled it with those genres because they are the genres that are predominant for the most part, but there are passages that are much more Melodic Death Metal, Melodic Black Metal, Death/Black Metal, etc. It's a wonderful blend of Black and Death styles, and I think Empyreal has something special here.

right up my alley, sounds cool! thanks!

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:27 am 

cultofkraken wrote:
I really was pleasantly surprised by the new Memoriam. I found it to be full of catchy riffs and some epic moments. Karl vocals were definitely more enjoyable to me on this one. Tracks like Undefeated and Austerity Kills in particular really had me nodding my head.

Seconded.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:35 pm 

https://shadowstrike.bandcamp.com/album ... man-spirit

These guys put their first full album out a couple of days ago and it's surprisingly good

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:06 pm 

Non-metal but I really like the Malibu Ken album (Aesop Rock + Tobacco collab). It has this song about Ricky Kasso, the heavy metal fan in the 80s that killed a classmate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzieBpafT2o

deopisi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:21 am 

Chaosmonger wrote:
Non-metal but I really like the Malibu Ken album (Aesop Rock + Tobacco collab). It has this song about Ricky Kasso, the heavy metal fan in the 80s that killed a classmate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzieBpafT2o

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=123112

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 19  Next