Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
VaeFUCKINGVictus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:32 pm 

Serpent Column just released a new LP: https://serpentcolumn.bandcamp.com/albu ... n-darkness

Grossly overlooked band IMO. A review on bandcamp describes this release well:

" This is technical, dissonant, and aggressive black metal that draws inspiration from DSO but is more riff-oriented, skirting the line very tenuously between avant garde progression and utter chaos"

This is such an intricately woven composition that is full of great riffs and DSO-style "whirlwinds" as I like to call them. Very dense and demanding piece of chaotic black metal, but compelling all the same. It intersperses chaos with contrasting moments of clarity and melody which is kind of a fetish of mine.

If this is too chaotic for you, give their debut a shot. Way more melodic and "catchy": https://serpentcolumn.bandcamp.com/albu ... i-thalassa

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:14 am 

I've been singing praises to this band since the beginning... They don't seem to be very popular around here (or anywhere, to be honest) and I believe it's just a case of too much great music being recorded and released at an unrelenting pace. I think Veilburner (and countless others) must suffer from the same problem... Either that or people are just scared/bored when they see any band being compared to DsO, and I kinda understand why that might be.

At any rate, this is absolutely killer, like any of their offerings. Strongly recommeding these folks yet again. If you're a fan of extreme music in general, check them out.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:16 pm 

I mean, it's currently the 7th best-selling album on Bandcamp (overall, not just metal) and I'm pretty sure it was 2 or 3 yesterday so they definitely have a following. I also loved the debut but for some reason it feels like the kind of music that's more in line with the NWN crowd?

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:16 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
I also loved the debut but for some reason it feels like the kind of music that's more in line with the NWN crowd?

Humm... I can see your point and I do agree to an extent, but I personally see their music, even on their debut, as being more "progressive" or "sophisticated" or "complex"... Shit, I don't even know what word I'm aiming for without sounding like a pretentious fanboy, but I'm sure you get what I'm trying to say...

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:43 pm 

The songs are interesting but that new Serpent Column album sounds just bad.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:17 am 

At this stage is everyone expecting a surprise Blood Incantation album drop? They finished recording months ago, they've mentioned the album title (The Hidden History of the Human Race) numerous times on social media, and they're about to go on a big NA tour with Immolation. Doesn't really make sense to me why they wouldn't drop the album before that tour, but it's pretty much too late now to start trickling out album cover, track listing, single, etc. I also don't really get the benefit of the surprise album drop unless you're a very established band like Sleep or something. I dunno, just a thought. Can't fucking wait for it, naturally!

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:34 am 

Razakel wrote:
At this stage is everyone expecting a surprise Blood Incantation album drop? They finished recording months ago, they've mentioned the album title (The Hidden History of the Human Race) numerous times on social media, and they're about to go on a big NA tour with Immolation.

Must confess I had no idea about any of that. Excellent news all around I must say! Just drop the thing already then.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:00 am 

i thought they'd announced november for a release date?

EDIT: "tentatively fall 2019"

TheEerieTomb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:32 am 

A band that I was unaware of until sent the promo for review on Astral Noize - Cognizance from the U.K.
Their debut full-length, Malignant Dominion, dropped last week, and I'm loving it. Tech death with a melodic edge, tons of riffs, and a jolly good time.
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/C ... ion/787602

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:51 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
I mean, it's currently the 7th best-selling album on Bandcamp (overall, not just metal) and I'm pretty sure it was 2 or 3 yesterday so they definitely have a following. I also loved the debut but for some reason it feels like the kind of music that's more in line with the NWN crowd?

I think the only reason they're that high on the best selling list is because the LP costs a whopping $666. "Best-selling" must mean "highest earning" and I bet if they sold a single copy they'd be selling better than any other band this week...

therealvivs wrote:
...I personally see their music, even on their debut, as being more "progressive" or "sophisticated" or "complex"...

I was excited by the descriptions of the music that you and VaeFUCKINGVictus used, but I didn't find the music that interesting at all and don't really understand the DsO comparisons either. It sounds absolutely nothing like DsO. I'd say it's much closer to melodic than dissonant.

therealvivs wrote:
I think Veilburner (and countless others) must suffer from the same problem...

Veilburner on the other hand...

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:24 am 

EpicSceptic wrote:
I'd say it's much closer to melodic than dissonant.

I agree with this bit. :D

I dunno man, find them to be one of the most interesting bands at the moment. They have this narrative in the way they build their songs that's just compelling to me, the quantity and quality of riffs, the busy drum work that feels complex but not in your typical "tech" way... There's not a song by them that doesn't grab me. But I'm used to enjoy bands most people don't really relate to, for whatever reason.
Veilburner for instance... Most people I know think it's circus music, a slightly heavier version of Arcturus B-sides (I love Arcturus, by the way)... Go figure.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:37 am 

Yeah totally understand dude, different tastes and all!

deopisi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:15 pm 

I think Mirror in darkness is going well thanks to the "make your price" option, then it's released by Mystiskaos, a young cult label.
I don't like it, too fucked-up, I prefer the debut, more solid.

The last Veilburner came out in the wrong moment, at the end of the year, when everyone is looking for the year end lists.

People listen to this:

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:44 pm 

deopisi wrote:
People listen to this:

Can't quite figure out the artwork, but it's kinda hypnotic... Will check this.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:16 pm 

theposega wrote:
i thought they'd announced november for a release date?

EDIT: "tentatively fall 2019"

Thank you! I somehow missed that article when it came out.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:52 pm 

I realized I ought to listen to Veilburner, especially since I already know the vocalist on a first name badis

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:22 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
I realized I ought to listen to Veilburner, especially since I already know the vocalist on a first name badis

Dude is a monster. Love his vocals. Huge part of the appeal of the band for me, although the instrumental side of things is just as wild and dynamic and just... Awesome.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:17 pm 

therealvivs wrote:
Wilytank wrote:

Dude is a monster. Love his vocals. Huge part of the appeal of the band for me, although the instrumental side of things is just as wild and dynamic and just... Awesome.

I know him through his work in Torture Ascendancy 1307 who I've seen live multiple times. They also released an album this year which is solid, but this band is much more impressive live. https://tortureascendancy1307.bandcamp. ... /d-e-m-o-s

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:47 pm 

EpicSceptic wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

I think the only reason they're that high on the best selling list is because the LP costs a whopping $666. "Best-selling" must mean "highest earning" and I bet if they sold a single copy they'd be selling better than any other band this week...

therealvivs wrote:
...I personally see their music, even on their debut, as being more "progressive" or "sophisticated" or "complex"...

I was excited by the descriptions of the music that you and VaeFUCKINGVictus used, but I didn't find the music that interesting at all and don't really understand the DsO comparisons either. It sounds absolutely nothing like DsO. I'd say it's much closer to melodic than dissonant.

therealvivs wrote:
I think Veilburner (and countless others) must suffer from the same problem...

Veilburner on the other hand...

That's only a place holder, here is the album for about 25 bucks us https://www.eyeandearcontrolrecords.com ... arkness-lp

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:28 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
therealvivs wrote:
Wilytank wrote:

I know him through his work in Torture Ascendancy 1307 who I've seen live multiple times. They also released an album this year which is solid, but this band is much more impressive live. https://tortureascendancy1307.bandcamp. ... /d-e-m-o-s

I need to check this out then, I love his vocals. Is is Veilburner levels of goodness tho?

Just discovered this band from Belarus, high octane black metal that's in your face but with lots of hooks, quite groovy at times and definitely very headbanging friendly!
https://downcross.bandcamp.com/album/wh ... covers-not

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:18 pm 

The new Nightfell album sounds good so far; at times it recalls a more instant and melodic version of The Ruins of Beverast.

My favo track

Leader_OCola
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:52 pm 

not enough praise in this thread for the following

Runespell
Order of the Ebon Hand
Vothana
Tomhet (or was that 2018?)
Wulkanaz
Dauthuz
Frostveil
Grafvitnir
Gorgon
Departure Chandelier
Funeral Storm

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:37 pm 

Lyrici17 wrote:
Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Midnight Dice's three song demo just released this morning. Seeing how the band consists entirely of Satan's Hallow members minus the main songwriter, I'm impressed with how well they're able to sustain that vibe.

https://midnightdice.bandcamp.com/

I came here specifically to post this, good on you. Yeah, I totally agree, it's absolutely a worthy successor. I already need more.

I just stumbled across this tonight and I am super super late to the party but it's amazing.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:41 pm 

Leader_OCola wrote:
Wulkanaz

Tomhet was this year, but Wulkanaz was last.

Leader_OCola
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:32 am 

jimbies wrote:
Leader_OCola wrote:
Wulkanaz

Tomhet was this year, but Wulkanaz was last.

ok, i received them in the same parcel in the mail, this year.
I couldn't recall.

point stands otherwise

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:11 am 

Leader_OCola wrote:

Runespell
Order of the Ebon Hand
Vothana
Wulkanaz
Dauthuz
Frostveil
Grafvitnir
Gorgon
Departure Chandelier
Funeral Storm

Black Metal much?? :D

Seriously now, some overlooked gems here, that's for sure! I like what I've heard from Runespell, Grafvitnir and Funeral Storm the most so far.
Thanks for sharing!

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:50 pm 

BAEST - Venenum

This was one of my most anticipated albums of the year after hearing their debut full length last year as well as the 3 singles they dropped for this album. I'm very happy to say that this album delivers. It's Danish Death Metal at its core, but BAEST manages to throw in all sorts of influences from Death to Bolt Thrower. The most important part though, is that the song writing is top notch - BAEST makes each song their own instead of ever seeming like they're only paying homage to the classics. Ripping riffs, colorful/varied drumming, roaring bass, and one of the best vocal performances of the year. In addition, there are a ton of tempo changes and variance during/between songs that always keep the music fresh. Venenum is an album that sounds awesome upon first listen, but only improves with each subsequent listen as there is always something new to discover or appreciate.

(I'd link to the full album if it were available, but the 3 singles should suffice to give an idea of how diverse their style is)

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:34 am 

Weeping Sores - False Confession

Featuring the guy from Pyrrhon, this is some incredible death doom metal with remarkable musicality and a nonstop barrage of insanely creative and memorable moments and riffs, and truly epic building.

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:03 pm 

2019 has been the best year for power metal in recent memory. I keep coming across new, exciting US bands doing killer Euro-style stuff. The Dialith debut is one of the better ones: https://dialith.bandcamp.com/album/extinction-six

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:48 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
2019 has been the best year for power metal in recent memory. I keep coming across new, exciting US bands doing killer Euro-style stuff. The Dialith debut is one of the better ones: https://dialith.bandcamp.com/album/extinction-six

Where the hell did THIS come from?! This is some great, energetic stuff!

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:12 am 

Amber Gray wrote:

Weeping Sores - False Confession

Featuring the guy from Pyrrhon, this is some incredible death doom metal with remarkable musicality and a nonstop barrage of insanely creative and memorable moments and riffs, and truly epic building.

Sounds pretty promising from what I've just checked. :metal:

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:48 am 

king gizzard & the lizard wizard - infest the rats nest
an awesome unconventional thrash/speed metal album from a band that made 13 non-metal albums prior to that (in ~7 years), and has only recently been added to the archives based on this album.
also, apparently they have had the same 7-member line-up since the band's inception in 2010, and two of them are drummers

Last edited by joppek on Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jose Cruz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:01 am 

narsilianshard wrote:

Thats some really catchy stuff right there.

Leader_OCola
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:40 pm 

therealvivs wrote:
Leader_OCola wrote:

Runespell
Order of the Ebon Hand
Vothana
Wulkanaz
Dauthuz
Frostveil
Grafvitnir
Gorgon
Departure Chandelier
Funeral Storm

Black Metal much?? :D

Seriously now, some overlooked gems here, that's for sure! I like what I've heard from Runespell, Grafvitnir and Funeral Storm the most so far.
Thanks for sharing!

black metal ist krieg

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:35 pm 

So I'm pretty flabbergasted at how enjoyable this new Dragonforce album is, especially considering how shit the previous one was. It's on par with Ultra Beatdown, I'd say. Also, that cover of "My Heart Will Go On" is hilarious and I kinda hate how much I love it.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:00 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
So I'm pretty flabbergasted at how enjoyable this new Dragonforce album is, especially considering how shit the previous one was. It's on par with Ultra Beatdown, I'd say. Also, that cover of "My Heart Will Go On" is hilarious and I kinda hate how much I love it.

I got my first listen in yesterday and it was surprisingly enjoyable, if incredibly goofy. Contrary to title, it's definitely the least extreme Draognforce album I've heard.

ingmar birdman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:03 am 

Leader_OCola wrote:

Runespell
Order of the Ebon Hand
Vothana
Wulkanaz
Dauthuz
Frostveil
Grafvitnir
Gorgon
Departure Chandelier
Funeral Storm

Speaking of Wulkanaz and Tomhet, the Wagner Odegard album from 2019 is fantastic. Agreed on Vothana as well, both his 2019 releases are great.

Other top notch 2019 black metal:

Flamen - Furor Lunae
Gestapo 666 - Satanic Shariah
Rostorchester - Die Sonne und der Mond in Ketten
Sanguine Eagle - Shores of Avarice/Storm Mysticism (easily my favorites of the year)

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:37 pm 

So the new Exhumed is very good, lots of grind this time around.

A tad too short though

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:07 pm 

new Blut aus Nord is streaming in full now

https://blutausnord.bandcamp.com/album/hallucinogen

Back more towards their Memoria Vestuta/final 777 sound, some glorious melodies in here

ironman8008
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:15 am 

Infernal thanks for recommending Drastus ,Vltimas and Strigae. Absolutely gorgeous albums by them. Keep checking other albums from this topic.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next