Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:08 pm 

So we are on the 7th day of the year, so there have been a neat amount of releases so far and I didn't see this thread pop up yet. Any releases you have liked or loved so far.

My favorite from this year so far is the second album of Ermengrond Men amongst wolves

Really great Atmospheric Black Metal

https://ermengrond.bandcamp.com/album/m ... gst-wolves

Peyp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:06 pm 

Festerday's debut is great death metal. That's all I've heard from this year so far, so I'm curious to see what else comes up.

https://festerday.bandcamp.com/
Due to the unfortunate reality of our guitarist fucking my girlfriend of almost 7 years WITCHROT will be taking an extended hiatus. I however will continue the band in another space and time... Thanks for the support, stay heavy. Also our drummer died...

RIP DIAMHEA

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:24 pm 

Released on the 1st of January. Strigae's debut album has a strong Darkspace vibe going on.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:26 pm 

Good fucking god, I haven't even been able to catch up on the 2018 albums! :lol:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:20 pm 

My buddies band Moulin Banal just released their debut EP. Really good folky black metal about New France.

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Mo ... 3540448420

I've heard the new album by Traveler and it's really damn excellent, same for the new Gatekeeper EP. J-P Abboud rules.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:36 pm 

My favourite albums so far are the new Traveler, new Critical Defiance, and new Pounder albums. I'd probably put Pounder at the top, but I haven't listened to the other two as much yet.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:49 pm 

androdion wrote:
Good fucking god, I haven't even been able to catch up on the 2018 albums! :lol:

I know, man. I am still discovering bands from last year too. I recently found Sul ad Astral and I'm quite happy.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:52 pm 

The new Oppression record (Le coeur plein de rage) is really good. This is another great release from Montreal's underground black metal scene.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:03 pm 

Legion of the Damned - Slaves of the Shadow Realm

Another brilliant album from these guys, and already in my top ten list for 2019.

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:24 am 

Wrldeatr wrote:
Legion of the Damned - Slaves of the Shadow Realm

Another brilliant album from these guys, and already in my top ten list for 2019.

I’m seconding this one. There’s nothing really groundbreaking here, just some great high octane Death/Thrash Metal. What really sets it apart though, is the variation throughout the album. There are just some high speed bangers with tons of blasts that don’t let up as well as more melodic grooves to change things up.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:28 pm 

Quercus has a new album out, released January 1st. I think it sounds pretty good! It's not too different from their previous albums, it continues with the heavy pipe organ sounds from Heart with Bread.

It might not wind up on my top 10 list for 2019, but funeral doom is off to a good start.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:57 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
Quercus has a new album out, released January 1st. I think it sounds pretty good! It's not too different from their previous albums, it continues with the heavy pipe organ sounds from Heart with Bread.

It might not wind up on my top 10 list for 2019, but funeral doom is off to a good start.

Yeah, I have this CD coming in the mail. I had never heard of this band before until this one was randomly namedropped in a doom group on Facebook, so I reckon it'll be good.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Dustroy_Troly
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:09 am 

I've been listening to a lot of new 2019 releases. Probably can't keep up this pace for very long. (The True) Veiled, Deveneror, Embrional, Festerday and Khaos Labyrinth are the ones that have hit me the hardest.

That Quercus album I didn't really care for. The organ is mostly a drag for me.

hungus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:12 am 

INFESTICIDE (Demo) out Feb 2019 by Grave Infestation is on BC and is a good bit of fun. Crusty cavernous uptempo DM.

Mythics
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:45 am 

For black metal:

Aspergillum / Obscurum Tenebrarum - Split
Ermengrond - Men Amongst Wolves
Megalith Grave - Apparitional Miasma
Strigae - I: Collision
Vessel of Iniquity - Void of Infinite Horror
Zpektraellotaen - Withering at the Hands of Darkness

Μνήμα - Forbidden Creatures of Time

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:14 pm 

Veldes - Flameless

It's the only one I've heard so far released in 2019, but it's a goodie. Gonna check out the new one from Howling In The Fog tonight.

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:41 am 

What I just learned was that that new Howling In The Fog album came out on the last day of 2018.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:00 am 

thewrll wrote:
What I just learned was that that new Howling In The Fog album came out on the last day of 2018.

Shit, I just checked and it appears that is correct. I listened to it last night, and nothing really stuck for me besides Ancient Future. I'll hear it again today.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:05 am 

I got a promo for the Gatekeeper EP and it may be the first highlight of the year so far. Traveler's debut album is pretty neat too.

Ashaant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:33 am 

Peyp wrote:
Festerday's debut is great death metal. That's all I've heard from this year so far, so I'm curious to see what else comes up.

Yes ! Great atmospheric DM. A little short on guitar solos but I'll take it.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:46 am 

Ashaant wrote:
Peyp wrote:

Yes ! Great atmospheric DM. A little short on guitar solos but I'll take it.

this is a positive thing in my book. also liking the album

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:49 pm 

Soilwork's Verkligheten, in spite of being really difficult to type with nine fingers (I have a booboo on my index finger :ugh:), is now topping my list for 2019 releases. I find it really good, lots of catchy choruses, Strid's vocals are superb as usual. There are good riffs and solos. It is a bit more melodic, and it probably won't win over any old school Soilwork fans. But it is definitely an album I will be spinning all year.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:11 pm 

Helevorn - Aamamata (great Gothy doom)

Draugûl - Plaguewweaver (great Epic Viking/Black Metal)

Nicrotek - Dream Fantasy (same as his other billion releases. Neat Fantasy Ambient Black)

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:33 pm 

Dustroy_Troly wrote:
I've been listening to a lot of new 2019 releases... Embrional...

Yeah, seconding this one. They were always a very good band, and their latest is just some more of that well-crafted and dynamic death metal (although, the guitar tone could be more...exciting, for lack of a better word). I really like their use of clean guitar passages too.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:58 pm 

PaganiusI wrote:
Nicrotek - Dream Fantasy (same as his other billion releases. Neat Fantasy Ambient Black)

Holy fuck, this guy is pure gold! Is he like the Buckethead of ambient black? Are all his CD(R) editions limited to 20 copies? Is that band photo a caption of an evil dude from the Power Rangers series? I mean... :lol:

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:36 pm 

PaganiusI wrote:
Helevorn - Aamamata (great Gothy doom)

Good lord, here's a band I haven't heard of in many years. I even have one of their albums but haven't listened to it in a long time. Will have to re-familiarise myself with Helevorn.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

themaxie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:53 pm 

Since I haven't listened to much new metal albums last year, I'm making it to a point that I listen to at least 10 new releases a month. Here are the albums that I have listened to as of now:

1) Legion of the Damned - Slaves of the Shadow Realm
Roughly produced, old-school deathrash with touches of black metal. No surprise, as they started playing during the early 90s under the name Occult. Nothing much wrong with the music and the sound, with the chainsaw guitar tones and the vocals sounding like a raspier, monotonous Erik Danielsson (from Watain). The album does really nothing to breathe some fresh air or new life to the genre, especially that most would argue that deathrash as a genre is dead already, but that's not the thing. The thing is that nothing much really sticks up in the brain after listening to it. While the band's fans might enjoy this album, this certainly won't grab new ones. [6/10]

2) Festerday - Iihtallan
16 new slabs (including the redux amd intro tracks) of old-school death metal with a modern twist (read: chunky-as-fuck guitar tone): basically that is how brief a description I could provide this debut album by Festerday 30 years in the making. Moreover, this album also has some black metal and thrash influences (on at least some songs), which is no wonder as Festerday had also played for 10 years as the black metal band ...And Oceans. My primitive-like preference for death metal is supposed to like this, but given the fact that it reaaaaaally overwelcomed its stay (clocking at almost 53 minutes, imagine that!) and that it generally lacked the needed dynamics in the form of tempo variation meant that is album was a gigantic chore to listen to from end-to-end. Plus, having "Edible Excrement" as the first proper track does not make a good first impression for the album. Sorry guys. [6/10]

3) Regnat Horrendum - Dogs of Christ
Plodding midpaced songs throughout? Check. Strumming and chugging nonriffs all over? Check. Symphonic elements drowning basically the rest of the music? Check. Blatant musical plagiarism? Check-a-roo! Glad this album's only nine songs long as it features all those and more. While the vocals do fit within the black metal spectrum (and even in some occassions I even do like how much of a motormouth the vocals are), everything else should be called symphonic metal for your grandmas. It never tries to be ravenous and ferocious it never tries to be a harbinger of doom, it just... plays there and goes along with the flow, and that is the problem in a nutshell. To make things worse, it never tries to mesh together both the black metal aspect and the symphonic aspect together into something sensical. Devoid of blast beats, with tremolo riffs coming very far and between, even the 14-year-old, Dimmu Borgir addict in me wouldn't even enjoy this at all. Avoid. [2/10]

Is there something I didn't get with the ones that I listened to or do you share similar opinions? Did I miss some releases that you think I should give a try? Lemme know!

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:12 pm 

Mo'ynoq - Dreaming in a Dead Language

This is the first album I've heard from 2019 that I would confidently recommend. Definite improvement over the EP from a couple years ago. Black metal with ferocious energy and occasionally a bit more of a mournful tone. Recommended if you like riffy, classic black metal with some USBM influence.

putrescent_stench
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:36 pm 

Mythics wrote:
For black metal:

Megalith Grave - Apparitional Miasma

I have not been able to find any info on this release. It's not listed on Discogs, Metal Archives, or on their Facebook page.

themaxie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:37 pm 

Red_Death wrote:
Dustroy_Troly wrote:
I've been listening to a lot of new 2019 releases... Embrional...

Yeah, seconding this one. They were always a very good band, and their latest is just some more of that well-crafted and dynamic death metal (although, the guitar tone could be more...exciting, for lack of a better word). I really like their use of clean guitar passages too.

Seconding this too! I like this a LOT more than Festerday's debut. Embrional's Evil Dead is a lot of things that I'm looking for in Festerday's debut. Right length, dynamic songs, great atmosphere... though the lack of solos and neutered guitar tone detracts a bit from the albums. This is still lean meaty death metal all throughout.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:42 pm 

androdion wrote:
PaganiusI wrote:

Holy fuck, this guy is pure gold! Is he like the Buckethead of ambient black? Are all his CD(R) editions limited to 20 copies? Is that band photo a caption of an evil dude from the Power Rangers series? I mean... :lol:

ohh
1) might be... def a keystone in the Indonesian BM scene with his band and label and stuff.
2) no, the Wolfmond Production ones are mostly 50 or 100 copies iirc
3) lol

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:48 pm 

Oh I wasn't being mean, I just had a blast looking at the band profile. Sorry mate, I just had to... :D

Dustroy_Troly
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:37 pm 

Пламень Мрака - Эхо былого II - beefy black metal, rather stylistically varied. Which makes sense because apparently this is a compilation of stuff that was written between 2008 and 2016 and recorded in 2018. Some pretty cool songs.

https://scarsofeternityrecords.bandcamp.com/album/ii

Uluru - Acrophilia - perhaps not quite metal but this is some really cool and heavy instrumental rock/metal stuff.

https://ulurutrio.bandcamp.com/album/acrophilia

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:45 pm 

androdion wrote:
Oh I wasn't being mean, I just had a blast looking at the band profile. Sorry mate, I just had to... :D

Since I'm not a band member, feel free to say whatever you want :nods:

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:25 pm 

Musmahhu - Reign of the Odius

Excellent Swedish death metal with a cryptic and occult vibe. Iron Bonehead continuing to show me why they are one of my favorite labels. The drums sound too triggered and distracts me from how good this album is at times though. Probably a drum machine.

themaxie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:34 am 

AcidWorm wrote:
Musmahhu - Reign of the Odius

Excellent Swedish death metal with a cryptic and occult vibe. Iron Bonehead continuing to show me why they are one of my favorite labels. The drums sound too triggered and distracts me from how good this album is at times though. Probably a drum machine.

Dunno about the triggered drums as I'm currently listening to this album as I write this, but goddamn, does this sound like the auditory equivalent of an amazing horror movie.

EDIT: I see what you mean about those... kinda detracts the macabre feeling on the album's slower parts.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:08 pm 

So far Soilwork's Verkligheten and Nailed to Obscurity's Black Frost are really impressing me. I wasn't super impressed with some of the Soilwork singles, but after listening to the album in full, I think it is on par with The Ride Majestic. Nailed to Obscurity isn't really doing anything new or unique on Black Frost, but I think they do the whole melodeath/doom thing just about as well as anyone.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:48 pm 

https://necromofficial.bandcamp.com/rel ... rxwafjTZoA

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:38 pm 

What are people seeing in that Necrom EP? Sounds pretty blah to me.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:47 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
https://necromofficial.bandcamp.com/releases?fbclid=IwAR0mNcFTHmuQUG2gwLR_6xQ9mDwD46f5M-o-ULx-Lnq0Jesm0rxwafjTZoA

Everything about this was great for me. Sure the sound is well worn but the riffs and vocals and production were all perfection. Eager to hear more.

Last edited by cultofkraken on Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next