PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:47 am 

Electrocution - Psychonolatry

Pretty cool death metal from Italy.

https://electrocution.bandcamp.com/album/psychonolatry

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:36 pm 

Weerwolf wrote:
That Ossuarium album destroys almost everything Hooded Menace have released.

Fucking amazing album.

I agree, and I actually didn't hear any Hooded Menace in it at all. After repeated listens, I hear kind of a mix of different doomy death metal bands, a little Autopsy and Bolt Thrower here, a little Incantation and Runemagick there, even some flourishes of diSEMBOWELMENT at times. Still, I feel like the band really has a sound all their own and not a copycat in anyway. Really love the crushing vibe of the riffs such as in "Writhing in Emptiness".

I also got the new Malevolent Creation yesterday. A little taken aback initially that Fasciana only wrote like 2 and 1/2 songs on the album, with the rest being written exclusively by the new singer, but after one listen I understand why - really catchy stuff and probably the best thing they've done since The Will to Kill, while I liked the previous albums, there's no denying the new blood really reinvigorated this band. I really love the new singer, he's like the best of both worlds, combining that old school grit that Bret Hoffman (RIP) was known for with the monstrous power Kyle Symons brought to the band.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:56 pm 

This new Beast in Black album is a hell of a lot of fun, and I'm thinking the next Battle Beast album will have a hell of a hard time beating it. There's an uptick in synth and the 80s pop influence is a bit more apparent this time around, and there's nothing wrong with that - Anton Kabanen is as good a pop songwriter as he is a heavy metal guitarist, and he manages to combine 80s pop melodies with power metal extraordinarily well. It sounds like it just comes completely naturally to him. Yannis is an amazing singer as usual - some of those notes he hits are borderline inhuman. I'm hoping for a US tour at some point, even if it's simply opening for a band that gets more attention here. I really don't think Battle Beast-sans-Anton are gonna be able to beat this one.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:45 pm 

The new Astronoid. I just had my first listen and it's incredible.

I had high expectations for this album, and they pretty much have been exceeded. Vocals are more prominent, forceful, and confident, and the melodies are total earworms. Songwriting is way more focused and pointed. Lead guitar is extremely anthemic. Overall, the band has improved leaps and bounds, which I accredit to them gaining experience as a touring band.

The only thing this album lacks is "aggressive" sections (quotes used because even though performance techniques suggest aggression on a surface aesthetic level, Astronoid has never actually made aggressive music)-Air had a multitude of blast beat and tremolo picked sections; this album has some degree of tremolo picked guitars and occasional smattering of double bass/uptempo drumming, but is devoid of blast beats. These occasional tremolo picked/double bass drumming sections are this band's last remaining threads to metal (I expect that if this band continues to progress their sound-and not tread water for fan service-that this may be the last metal(ish) record they make).

Overall, based on this first listen, I slightly think Air is the better record, but that might change with repeated listens to this album. This is an early contender for AOTY.

All that said, I completely get why some people don't like this band.
Obliteration

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:42 pm 

Interesting take. I find it good, but nowhere near the debut. Seems they played it safe - all the flare is gone. And blast beats. Still a good record and they're a fun live band and awesome guys. I personally hope they rebound with album 3.

Acidgobblin
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:31 am 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
This new Beast in Black album is a hell of a lot of fun, and I'm thinking the next Battle Beast album will have a hell of a hard time beating it. There's an uptick in synth and the 80s pop influence is a bit more apparent this time around, and there's nothing wrong with that - Anton Kabanen is as good a pop songwriter as he is a heavy metal guitarist, and he manages to combine 80s pop melodies with power metal extraordinarily well. It sounds like it just comes completely naturally to him. Yannis is an amazing singer as usual - some of those notes he hits are borderline inhuman. I'm hoping for a US tour at some point, even if it's simply opening for a band that gets more attention here. I really don't think Battle Beast-sans-Anton are gonna be able to beat this one.

You're not wrong, its a great album. Honestly, Cry Out for a Hero is one of the best ways to open an album, just headfirst in completely over-the-top epicness. Really fun album, and shit yeah- Yannis is an amazing vocalist. He seems to have multiple different timbres that sound like a totally different singer at times. Incredible talent, how the fuck do these power metal vocalists learn this? I have a humorous time imagining that :D

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:37 pm 

Eh, the new Beast in Black didn't do much for me. Anton really only writes two types of songs and he leaned really hard into the poppy stuff on that one. Kinda makes me think that Battle Beast would've landed on Bringer of Pain even if they didn't kick him out. It's easy to see why they thought they could do just fine without him despite him writing 100% of the music and lyrics, it's an easy style. Granted it's not easy to make good hooks with stunning regularity like he did on the first handful of BB albums, but it's a very formulaic style where you just have to plug in the right components in the same spot each time. He's five albums deep now and it's pretty clear he's not ever going to break from it.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:40 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Eh, the new Beast in Black didn't do much for me. Anton really only writes two types of songs and he leaned really hard into the poppy stuff on that one. Kinda makes me think that Battle Beast would've landed on Bringer of Pain even if they didn't kick him out. It's easy to see why they thought they could do just fine without him despite him writing 100% of the music and lyrics, it's an easy style. Granted it's not easy to make good hooks with stunning regularity like he did on the first handful of BB albums, but it's a very formulaic style where you just have to plug in the right components in the same spot each time. He's five albums deep now and it's pretty clear he's not ever going to break from it.

I think Bringer of Pain would have turned out worse if Anton wasn't kicked out, probably with a couple of stolen classic riffs too.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:58 pm 

Listening to the new Laceration and it's damn good

DannyRichardson
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:00 am 

I really love the new Behemoth - Ecclesia Diabolica Catholica

Crazy cool chord progressions!

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:32 am 

Svartelder - Pits

Black Metal from Norway. Great atmosphere on the album. Not really sure what other bands I would compare them to though. Featuring members such as Tjalve (1349, Den Saakaldte, Pantheon I), Doedsadmiral (Nordjevel, Doedsvangr), Spektre (Gaahls Wyrd, Horizon Ablaze) and Renton (Trollfest).

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:10 am 

Dawn Fades - Dawn Fades

If you, like me, have a soft spot for post-metal then you might want to check this out. Based in LA this is their debut album as I understand it. I'm doing a quick listening through it, but I can see me liking this quite a bit, given what it is.

Listen to the cheezy video here (keep you eyes closed)

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:32 am 

Maestus – Deliquesce

Funeral doom isn't exactly my go-to music. I have enjoyed some Ahab albums but that's about it. This record however, demands that I listen to it. Very good stuff and I like the production as well.

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:01 am 

here's some very nice blackened death i came across - this is a terrible description, but it makes me think of a cleaner mix between teitanblood and shaarimoth, with a hint of bölzer thrown in... and they don't even sound like any of those bands (save for the teitanblood echo vocals)

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:19 am 

e_ddi_e wrote:
Svartelder - Pits

joppek wrote:
here's some very nice blackened death i came across - this is a terrible description, but it makes me think of a cleaner mix between teitanblood and shaarimoth, with a hint of bölzer thrown in... and they don't even sound like any of those bands (save for the teitanblood echo vocals)

These both sound quite good. I'll give them another listen tomorrow but I'm liking what I'm hearing. Cheers guys. :)

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:23 pm 

So I lumped this new Zloslut album in with my last post, but you guys seriously need to listen to this! It's one of those albums that just plain rocks no matter what your favorite genre is. On my third listen in a row today and can't fucking get enough. It really rewards the patient full attentive listener.

https://zloslut.bandcamp.com/album/sahar

Oops I posted this in the anticipated thread at first.

themaxie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:47 am 

Acidgobblin wrote:
LycanthropeMoon wrote:

You're not wrong, its a great album. Honestly, Cry Out for a Hero is one of the best ways to open an album, just headfirst in completely over-the-top epicness. Really fun album, and shit yeah- Yannis is an amazing vocalist. He seems to have multiple different timbres that sound like a totally different singer at times. Incredible talent, how the fuck do these power metal vocalists learn this? I have a humorous time imagining that :D

Nice album wearing the 80s vibe loud and proud. My complaint with the album (like my usual complaint with pop albums) is that it sounds frontloaded to me. Like all of the album's best tracks all seem to be on the first ones.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:50 pm 

joppek wrote:

Yoooo, this album fucking slaps! Really, really good shit. Aggressive with fun, old school riffs, a little bit of a drugged out atmosphere too with the vocals. Really digging this one.

Love the new Astronoid too. Really catchy and uplifting stuff.

themaxie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:43 am 

MikeyC wrote:

Pretty cool indeed. Has that straight-up 90s death metal vibe that I dig mixed with modern influences that, as Trevor Strnad described in his column, "post-djent low-stringed accoutrements to spice things up and a crushing production"

Still dunno which song is he featured though. LOL

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:01 am 

i only just realized that that's the same electrocution that made the '93 album inside the unreal... well, almost the whole lineup has changed, but anyway

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:07 pm 

Proceus - Maharaja

It's very early into 2019, but I have found what will certainly be one of my top albums this year. Maharaja gives me some straight up Forefather - Steadfast vibes. Bold words, I know, but Proceus offers up huge sweeping melodies that evolve yet come back around sounding progressively better, chanting choruses, and tight guitar work that is absolutely top notch.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:11 pm 

themaxie wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Pretty cool indeed. Has that straight-up 90s death metal vibe that I dig mixed with modern influences that, as Trevor Strnad described in his column, "post-djent low-stringed accoutrements to spice things up and a crushing production"

Still dunno which song is he featured though. LOL

It's definitely not just typical 90s styled death metal, despite Electrocution being an old school band. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:42 pm 

^ It would've been even better if they had retained that certain thrashy, Sepultura-like element "Inside the Unreal" had but yeah, these last two albums are fine for what they are considering the lineup overhaul.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:31 pm 

I'm actually listening to that Electrocution album right now, it's pretty good

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:34 pm 

MeltedFace wrote:
Proceus - Maharaja

It's very early into 2019, but I have found what will certainly be one of my top albums this year. Maharaja gives me some straight up Forefather - Steadfast vibes. Bold words, I know, but Proceus offers up huge sweeping melodies that evolve yet come back around sounding progressively better, chanting choruses, and tight guitar work that is absolutely top notch.

Ho-ly-fuck.

This fucking slays. Right up my alley. Thanks for posting this! \m/

pfk505
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:37 am 

Véhémence - Par le Sang Versé

Another gem from Antiq Records, reminds me a lot of Aorlhac's brilliant album from last year. Melodic black metal in the French style.. superb!

https://antiqofficial.bandcamp.com/albu ... -sang-vers

pfk505
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:06 am 

MeltedFace wrote:
Proceus - Maharaja

Maharaja gives me some straight up Forefather - Steadfast vibes. Bold words, I know

OK so I'll be the first to admit that I have a somewhat unhealthy affinity for Forefather in general and Steadfast in particular, so this didn't quite hit the mark for me. But it's still a very good album! Thanks for posting.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:40 pm 

The new Vanir album, Allfather, is some high energy, ass kicking melodeath/folk/viking metal for sure. Pretty impressed with this album.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:07 pm 

pfk505 wrote:
Véhémence - Par le Sang Versé

Another gem from Antiq Records, reminds me a lot of Aorlhac's brilliant album from last year. Melodic black metal in the French style.. superb!

https://antiqofficial.bandcamp.com/albu ... -sang-vers

This fucking rules, thanks! :beer:
Looks like I'll have to check out some other stuff from this label.

Blood Veinen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:17 am 

Funereal Presence - Achatius

New Funereal Presence (Negative Plane drummer solo project) is really good. Twisting NY black metal.

https://funerealpresence.bandcamp.com/album/achatius

F45.2 - Parasitosis

Debut demo from an obscure new project called F45.2. Plays raw and droning ambient BM with a very thick atmosphere. This kind of stuff is right up my alley, love the sound and style here.

https://f452.bandcamp.com/album/parasitosis

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:06 am 

Herod - Sombre Dessin

Not really sure what to tell you about this release :D I have only found one review and it was in german ...
From what I can read there, they mention Post-Hardcore, Post-Metal, Sludge, Math and Progmetal. Cult of Luna and The Old Wind sure comes to mind. Full of grinding riffs that is heavy as hell. I guess you'll have to give it a listen if it sounds interesting. I dig it a lot.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:37 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
So I lumped this new Zloslut album in with my last post, but you guys seriously need to listen to this! It's one of those albums that just plain rocks no matter what your favorite genre is. On my third listen in a row today and can't fucking get enough. It really rewards the patient full attentive listener.

https://zloslut.bandcamp.com/album/sahar

Thanks for posting! Just picked it up, loving the mgla-meets-DsO vibe.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:38 am 

Skraeckoedlan - Eorþe

So, I have found what I think will be the first album on my top ten this year. For those not familiar with this band; they come from Sweden and play some progressive psychedelic stoner fuzz rock. It’s an album full of riffs, twists & turns. Mix that with great production and performances from all involved and some great harmonies and you end up with this album. They sing in Swedish, so for those wanting to know more, learn it. :)
The album is a concept album telling a Lovecraftian mystery within the realms of the 1920’s, in collaboration with author Nils Håkansson.
And I still don't get why this band is on the archives and Greenleaf is not.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:58 am 

e_ddi_e wrote:
Skraeckoedlan - Eorþe

This sounds interesting. Thanks. :)

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:01 pm 

Harmdaud - Skärvor

This album came out today and it kicks some serious ass. Atmospheric and Melodic Black Metal with killer melodies that range from melancholic to epic. This is my first exposure to the one man project from Andreas Stenlund, and I'm absolutely loving the album. Along with the wonderful instrumentation are some of the best vocals I've heard so far this year. Andreas has piercing highs, powerful lows, and exceptional cleans. In addition, I really appreciate the cleaner production here, which allows you to hear just how jam packed and dense the music is.

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:51 pm 

Drastus - La Croix de Sang
This comes to me little bit out of the blue, but after just one listen I can say with confidence that this is the best black metal album
I have heard this year so far. Blut Aus Nord listed in similar artists on MA, I would name also Aosoth.
(released 1st March, but already listenable on bandcamp)

GanoesParan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:54 pm 

MeltedFace wrote:
Harmdaud - Skärvor

This album came out today and it kicks some serious ass. Atmospheric and Melodic Black Metal with killer melodies that range from melancholic to epic. This is my first exposure to the one man project from Andreas Stenlund, and I'm absolutely loving the album. Along with the wonderful instrumentation are some of the best vocals I've heard so far this year. Andreas has piercing highs, powerful lows, and exceptional cleans. In addition, I really appreciate the cleaner production here, which allows you to hear just how jam packed and dense the music is.

Holy cow, thanks for posting this! That first song was killer.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:25 pm 

https://thesanhedrin.bandcamp.com/album/the-poisoner

This is pretty awesome trad metal - nice chunky riffs and a slight doom influence. But overall just raw, powerful heavy metal like Slough Feg, Solstice, Manilla Road, etc.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:07 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

This is pretty awesome trad metal - nice chunky riffs and a slight doom influence. But overall just raw, powerful heavy metal like Slough Feg, Solstice, Manilla Road, etc.

Had this on my listening queue this morning. Really great stuff!

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:19 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

Oh hey, this IS really cool. Those riffs and hooks are pure joy. I think I'll definitely have to check this out.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next