Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:25 pm 

I'm definitely seconding the Drastus album at this point! Thanks for the heads up, slavonic777, I think I saw it here first!

I also must speak the merits of the excellent Traveler debut. Scratches the trad itch better than anything since Eternal Champion's LP.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:57 pm 

Ossuarium - Living Tomb has been incredible. It's a mix of death and doom for those interested.

Also checking out that new Funereal Presence album and it's sounding pretty wild so far (only just started listening though). Could turn out very interesting as well.

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:15 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Released on the 1st of January. Strigae's debut album has a strong Darkspace vibe going on.

Good stuff. If they had a vinyl I'd buy it.

thewrll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:29 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
AcidWorm wrote:
Released on the 1st of January. Strigae's debut album has a strong Darkspace vibe going on.

Good stuff. If they had a vinyl I'd buy it.

As of now this is just the digital copy for a name your price https://strigae.bandcamp.com/releases

dmerritt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:33 pm 

I pretty much only listen to Black Metal. Some good stuff so far:

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/W ... War/756240

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/F ... ten/755068

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/S ... ion/753961

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:20 am 

Horndal - Remains

So, some friends of mine released their debut album on Prosthetic Records (they made an EP produced by Streve Albini before that).
They play a mix between sludge/post hard core and crust punk. It's raw and bleak.

"The band has their roots in a small industrial town in the Swedish woods with the same name is the band – Horndal. A place with a gruesome story to tell.
In the late seventies the steel mill that employed almost the whole population was threatened with termination. To protest against this a theatre group, including the parents of the band’s singer and drummer, wrote and set up a play about this disastrous event. The plot depicts the devil (played by their father) coming to the town to shut down the steel mill, leave the exploited workers to their fate and send the whole community to an early grave. Sadly the story came true. The factory was closed and the town was left for dead. The band translated the play and made into their lyrics."

Last edited by e_ddi_e on Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
themaxie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:58 pm 

For some brutal techdeath, I'd recommend Desecravity's new album, Anathema. Techdeath isn't my cup of coffee, usually speaking, but I don't mind listening to this album to the end, especially as it sounds fresh a lot of times. Maybe also because it manages to scratch a certain itch?

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:01 am 

Mammoth Weed Wizard Bastard - Yn Ol I Annwn

Interstellar Welsh doom wizards? Sure, why not.
If you heard their previous albums, you know what to expect. So no news here, it's basically an improved version of their previous albums.

ReignInBloodyGore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:05 am 

Okay, jumping into the forum now. 2019 is an unusual year for me so far as there is little in the way of death metal that I’ve been thrilled with. These releases have received several spins from me this year so far:

Witching Hour- And Silent Grief Shadows the Passing Moon
Swallow the Sun- When a Shadow Is Forced Into the Light
Traveler- Traveler

As a big fan of Overkill, I will be putting plenty of plays on the new album, but admittedly I just don’t like it as much as some of the first albums. I even still enjoy the Grinding Wheel more than it for now, which is surely an unpopular opinion.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:44 pm 

slavonic777 wrote:
Drastus - La Croix de Sang
Spoiler: show

This comes to me little bit out of the blue, but after just one listen I can say with confidence that this is the best black metal album
I have heard this year so far. Blut Aus Nord listed in similar artists on MA, I would name also Aosoth.
(released 1st March, but already listenable on bandcamp)

Might have known you would be on this. Excellent release - really outstanding BM.

My collection

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:48 am 

something for fans of the crown, with a hint of venom in there

AlienZombie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:39 am 

ReignInBloodyGore wrote:
As a big fan of Overkill, I will be putting plenty of plays on the new album, but admittedly I just don’t like it as much as some of the first albums. I even still enjoy the Grinding Wheel more than it for now, which is surely an unpopular opinion.

I agree. It's my least favorite since they got rejuvenated with Ironbound.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:03 pm 

I was a bit apprehensive going in, but the new Chrome Waves is pretty solid.

Raindream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:16 am 

The Haunting Green released their first full album yesterday and it kills. Excellent for fans of atmospheric and post-metal.

https://hypnoticdirgerecords.bandcamp.c ... xtinctions

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:00 pm 

With their new EP, Ashen, Tides of Emptiness are shaping up to be a rather unique entity. On this EP, they play raw, rhythmic, sludgy black metal with some more psychedelic sounding melodies here and there, and faintly in the background some very hypnotic and dreamy sounding (synthesized) melodies can be heard fluttering on top of the mix. The melody at 5:52 on "Drowned at Sea" and some of the subsequent soloing reminds me a bit of Destroy Erase Improve, and the rhythm section on this song furthers the comparison (I vaguely remember their previous release having some sort of Meshuggah-sounding parts as well). Good stuff.

https://tidesofemptiness.bandcamp.com/album/ashen

Thumbman
The Shellfish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:45 pm 

The new Vanum album is great; muscular black metal that uses triumphant melodic riffs to great success. Been digging the new Funereal Presence as well.

Raindream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:47 am 

Spun that Heart of Lead album by Kaleikr a couple of times and really fuckin dig it. If you like any kind of progressive black metal it should be right up your alley.

Recommended: https://kaleikr.bandcamp.com/album/heart-of-lead

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:14 pm 

PluviaSomniums wrote:
Spun that Heart of Lead album by Kaleikr a couple of times and really fuckin dig it. If you like any kind of progressive black metal it should be right up your alley.

Recommended: https://kaleikr.bandcamp.com/album/heart-of-lead

I got this on CD and yeah, it's quite good. I really enjoy it.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:59 am 

yup that Kaleikr album is good for sure.

therealvivs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:45 am 

This year has started slow for me, not necessarily due to a lack of quality releases but mostly (I believe) due to my lack of time to fully digest everything, as I'm still enjoying some of the best 2018 had to offer.

Anyway, I'll second Drastus and Kaleikr, superb efforts by both bands. Also, someone mentioned Musmahhu - Reign of the Odius IIRC, and I quite enjoyed the atmosphere of that record.

Now, what has been really dominating my 2019 so far:

Downfall Of Gaia - Ethic Of Radical Finitude
There's black metal, post metal, some sludge... this band is nothing short of amazing. Emotional, visceral, haunting. Better production than last effort. Superb drumming.

Vimur - Triumphant Master Of Fates
Amazing black metal that's violent, fast, intense and somehow also manages to be epic, majestic, ethereal. This is a must for fans of any kind of metal, as it has so much to offer, everything is top notch, songwriting, musicians performance and delivery, atmosphere, this monster just fires on all cylinders. Superb drumming once again...!!

Ataraxie - Resignes
Death doom that's massive, crushing, suffocating and relentless. I think the album is almost progressive if compared with most death doom / funeral doom out there. Sure it's slow and grinding, but it never fails to grab your attention.

Sinmara - Hvísl Stjarnanna
Icelandic Black metal goodness. I dunno if the scene is still seen as genuinely cool, or hipster or if the edge lords already deemed it as demode, but I couldn't give 2 shits. Svartidauði, Misþyrming, Carpe Noctem, Zhrine, Iceland kills it. If you like this sound, you'll love the second effort from Sinmara, period.

Equipoise - Demiurgus
Tech Death (not my strong suit) that not only makes most other bands in the genre seem tame, but that doesn't bore me to tears. Individual talent on display here is mesmerising and you can almost feel the fun these folks have playing this sort of music. I think anyone that enjoys tech/prog death will find something here to like.

Bladius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:28 pm 

A few more worthwhile releases I have enjoyed thus far this year:

Queensrÿche - The Verdict
Desecravity - Anathema
Tyr - Hel
Wretched Fate - Fleshletting
Optimist - Vermächtnis
Deserted Fear - Drowned By Humanity
Convictors - Atrocious Perdition
Electrocution - Psychonolatry
Continuum - Designed Obsolescence
Fusion Bomb - Concrete Jungle (some of the best thrash I've heard in ages!)
Ravager - Thrashletics
Critical Defiance - Misconception
Avantasia - Moonglow
Beast In Black - From Hell with Love
Avalanch - The Secret
Iron Savior - Kill or Get Killed
Rhapsody of Fire - The Eighth Mountain
Thornbridge - Theatrical Masterpiece
Corroded - Bitter
Within Temptation - Resist
Gathering Of Kings - First Mission
Steel Engraved - Steel Engraved
Herman Frank - Fight The Fear
Find Me - Angels In Blue
Imperia - Flames of Eternity
Last In Line - II
Syu - Vorvados
Pounder - Uncivilized
In Flames - I, the Mask
Born From Pain - True Love
Demon Hunter - War and Peace
Dream Theater - Distance Over Time
Darkwater - Human

Can't believe the number of quality releases so far this year...where to find the time!!

therealvivs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:11 am 

Totally forgot to add the excellent The Interpreter by Wachenfeldt.

Blackened Death with strong influences of Thrash, an acute sense for melody and even some symphonic bits? Sounds like a total mess, right?
Wrong. With great musicianship, delicious production, fully fledged songs, this record is all killer, no filler. Guitar playing in particular is superb. There's riffs, there's headbanging, beautiful leads, proggy stuff, everything you could ask for and more.

If you're into what Behemoth were doing circa The Satanist and if you dig bands like Sulphur Aeon or Vredehammer, do not sleep on this.

Also... Welcome back, Evergrey!! It's been a while... Where were you this last decade or so?

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:08 am 

Mentioned this in a melodeath thread in the recommendations section, but Lahmia's latest album Resilience is really good. Probably my favourite of the year so far.

Skeletoon have just put out a really solid album, chock full of catchy, upbeat power metal. One for fans of Freedom Call, Power Quest etc.

Children of Bodom's latest is also pretty good. Fairly consistent quality wise with some really great material scattered throughout.

Cabecao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:17 am 

Swallow the Sun is great, Overkill's newbie gets better each listen, Wachenfeldt is stunning as is Hannes Grossmann's new album.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:49 pm 

Delice is a project from one of the members of Skyforest as well as other projects, and he just released the debut album Sillage. Absolutely stunning melancholic and gorgeous blackgaze with other influences. Anyone that likes Alcest a bit will find something of value here I am sure.
If this sounds at all interesting give it a chance, one of my favorite albums of 2019 so far.

https://beverina.bandcamp.com/album/delice-sillage-2019

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:25 am 

On the traditional heavy metal front:
Nightfyre "From Fortune to Ruin"
Traveler "Traveler"
Pounder "Uncivilized"
Gatekeeper "Grey Maiden" (EP)
Solicitor "Demo 2019" (demo)

Raindream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:05 am 

Dooders wrote:
Delice is a project from one of the members of Skyforest as well as other projects, and he just released the debut album Sillage. Absolutely stunning melancholic and gorgeous blackgaze with other influences. Anyone that likes Alcest a bit will find something of value here I am sure.
If this sounds at all interesting give it a chance, one of my favorite albums of 2019 so far.

I got this one in a week or so ago and yep it’s fucking amazing. Got me all glasseyed and shit.

Daysbetween
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:58 am 

Lyrici17 wrote:
On the traditional heavy metal front:
Nightfyre "From Fortune to Ruin"
Traveler "Traveler"
Pounder "Uncivilized"
Gatekeeper "Grey Maiden" (EP)
Solicitor "Demo 2019" (demo)

Got the Traveler CD and it's excellent and recommended if you like White Wizzard, Enforcer etc.
Also bought the Gatekeeper EP and was very disappointed as it didn't even seem like metal.
Need to check out the Pounder release and Nightfyre is already on my list to check.

Demon Fang
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:54 am 

Iron Fire's "Beyond the Void" has been a remarkably strong release. These guys have pretty much been on fire since "Voyage of the Damned" from 2012 and show no signs of stopping.

Booze Control's "Forgotten Lands" and Frenzy's "Blind Justice" are pretty fun trad/power metal albums.

Tyr's "Hel" is also pretty enjoyable.

Destroyers of All's "The Vile Manifesto", well, I think that's been spoken for. Interestingly, that album's up top for me.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:04 pm 

Yeah the Traveler album rules. Gatekeeper? Well after their last album I'm not too interested. They are pretty whack.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:39 pm 

It's not out for a while yet but keep your eyes and ears open for the new Smoulder. Arthur Rizk is the Scott Burns of our time, I swear. Everything he touches turns to gold.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:45 am 

e_ddi_e wrote:
Horndal - Remains

So, some friends of mine released their debut album on Prosthetic Records (they made an EP produced by Streve Albini before that).
They play a mix between sludge/post hard core and crust punk. It's raw and bleak.

Listened to this a few times and I really dig it, thanks for sharing!
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:53 am 

https://dreamkeeper.bandcamp.com/releases

Dreamkeeper is peddling some ultra-solid power metal to kick off the year. They could stand to speed up a few more times than they do, but it's just an overall cool sound... they've got a real feel for vocal melodies and harmonies, and the music is full of cool riffs and melodies. Definitely a band to watch.

thewrll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:44 pm 

PluviaSomniums wrote:
Dooders wrote:

I got this one in a week or so ago and yep it’s fucking amazing. Got me all glasseyed and shit.

Don't know if it would be allowed as a 2019 release. Was almost in my top 10 from last year
https://delice.bandcamp.com/album/sillage

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:55 pm 

Sorathian Dawn - Sun of the Deep

With this 30 minute EP, Sorathian Dawn has put together an awesome blend of Death and Black Metal. At times the music plods along with OSDM flavor, then it switches into straight forward Black Metal blasting and riffing. Then throw in some more melody and it can sound just like a more crushing Melodic Death Metal, but transition into piercing Melodic Black Metal. The production has a good amount of bass, which sounds amazing with properly tuned EQ. Add in the ridiculously awesome cover art and this is quite the offering for 2019. My only complaint is that it's an EP that leaves me wanting more, which I guess is kind of the point.

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:56 pm 

I'm quite enjoying the new Sinmara. Listened to it a bunch recently, it's got a great atmosphere, and when the more dissonant parts give way to shimmering, almost triumphant (?) melodies, it's truly excellent. Great contrast while still keeping the atmosphere or feel of the music consistent.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:29 pm 

Yo, how sick is the new Deafheaven song "Black Brick"? It might be the best song they ever wrote. Definitely better than anything off their last album.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:59 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
Yo, how sick is the new Deafheaven song "Black Brick"? It might be the best song they ever wrote. Definitely better than anything off their last album.

It's straightforward and nothing special and George's vocals aren't strong at all in this. The intro riff is boring as fuck too, and I'm a big fan of them too so I'm not just talking shit, that's just my opinion on that song compared to the rest of their work.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:44 am 

Really? Damn. I dunno, I think it's wicked.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:09 am 

So Haunted decided to release their second album two months early. It's pretty nifty.

https://hauntthenation.bandcamp.com/alb ... -could-fly

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 19  Next