Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives
https://forum.metal-archives.com/

Worthwhile Releases From 2019
https://forum.metal-archives.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=122952
Page 11 of 14

Author:  Kerrick [ Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

I am really digging Triuwint's new album. Their debut is a really solid piece of melodic black metal but they really hit the ball out of the park with their new one IMO.
https://triuwint.bandcamp.com/album/ber-tr-mmert-lern

Author:  PvtNinjer [ Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

Everflowingstream wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
I really was pleasantly surprised by the new Memoriam. I found it to be full of catchy riffs and some epic moments. Karl vocals were definitely more enjoyable to me on this one. Tracks like Undefeated and Austerity Kills in particular really had me nodding my head.


Seconded.


Absolutely, and you picked out the two really standout tracks I would have too! Undefeated just has that punishing groove and Austerity Kills has that shout along chorus which is great. I also really like that swaggering pinch harmonic groove on The Veteran.

An Isolated Mind's I'm Losing Myself is pretty great. I was kinda put off by the overly frank depiction of mental illness from the presentation, but the music is great. Almost reminds me of Lurker of Chalice/Leviathan in it's ability to swap effortlessly the dark and chaotic moods with the atmospheric post rock influenced sections.

Author:  iiix [ Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

AcidWorm wrote:
This may be death metal album of the year for me so far. OSDM from Mexico on Iron Bonehead.
Youtube: show


Thanks dude!! This one is what's up. Production has a good reverbed 80s sound and those modern-ishh psyched out in space weirdo passages. I'm cool with it. More please.

Author:  MikeyC [ Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:09 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

PvtNinjer wrote:
An Isolated Mind's I'm Losing Myself is pretty great. I was kinda put off by the overly frank depiction of mental illness from the presentation, but the music is great. Almost reminds me of Lurker of Chalice/Leviathan in it's ability to swap effortlessly the dark and chaotic moods with the atmospheric post rock influenced sections.

This has great music but the last two songs of atmosphere kind of bring it down, though.

Author:  deopisi [ Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

MikeyC wrote:
This has great music but the last two songs of atmosphere kind of bring it down, though.

Bringing down is perfect when you are loosing yourself like there

Author:  PvtNinjer [ Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

Yeah I agree, I was disappointed to find that the last song especially was ambient, but I think think it's pretty compelling stuff as far as ambient goes. Still wish there was more "proper" metal in the run time, though.

Author:  Gravetemplar [ Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

Yeah, not sure why the fuss with An Isolated Mind. Those 25 minutes of ambient at the end doesn't work at all.

Author:  Gore__Grinder [ Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

New Wormed EP is streaming in full, more pulverising stuff from them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV1NTXGdQtc

Author:  Bladius [ Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

New Exhorder song just kicks so much ass! Can't wait for the album!!

Sabaton - The Great War: Absolutely love it! Nothing new...just more of the same insanely catchy power metal they are known for.

Rogga Johansson - Entrance to the Otherwhere: Great slab of old school death metal.

Author:  Pellonpekko [ Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

Somebody here listened the last albm of Sol Sistere, hope noone posted it before this. The album it's called "Extinguished Cold Light" and it's a really great Atmospheric Black Metal!!

You can hear it in Spotify
https://open.spotify.com/album/15A5bvUR ... oSMP8VkhOw


And if you like Post Metal so i suggest to you listen to Antar. This year they released "Dronita"
https://open.spotify.com/album/03NJxNyV ... J8dArXnvuw

Author:  Required Fields [ Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Anyone else think this has been a very, very slow year so far, especially compared to this time last year? I just can't seem to find much that interests me, and trust me I devote the time to searching.


It's a slower year than last year, although this year did bring the new Overkill album, and some very enjoyable debuts from Riot City and Critical Extravasation.

Author:  Gravetemplar [ Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

I already have a list of 20 albums that I think are great. Mostly black metal, I think it's been a great year so far.

If you guys are into Behemoth/Musmahhu/Cult of Fire you should listen to this.

Image

https://templekoludra.bandcamp.com/

Author:  Everflowingstream [ Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

Bladius wrote:
New Exhorder song just kicks so much ass! Can't wait for the album!!

Sabaton - The Great War: Absolutely love it! Nothing new...just more of the same insanely catchy power metal they are known for.

Rogga Johansson - Entrance to the Otherwhere: Great slab of old school death metal.


Rogga's even run out of band names now!

Author:  Required Fields [ Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

I asked a question in the "death metal help" thread, but didn't get an answer. Perhaps some here can help me.

Are there any death metal albums released in 2019 that are in the vein of early 1990s era Death? I'm a huge fan of this type of sound.

Author:  doomicus [ Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

Updating my list that was posted in the thread previously:

Chevalier - Destiny Calls
Smoulder - Times of Obscene Evil and Wild Daring
Dark Fury - Flooded Lands
Funereal Presence - Achatius
Förgjord - Ilmestykset
Sacrilegia - The Triclavian Advent
Chainbreaker - Lethal Desire
Skullsmasher - Rocket Hammer Brain Surgery
Magnabolt - Magnabolt
Ares Kingdom - By the Light of Our Destruction
Funeral Storm - Arcane Mysteries
Father Befouled - Holy Rotten Blood
Ravenzang - Uit een duister verleden
Triumph, Genus - Po vrhu vždy je prázdno kolébek
Slough Feg - New Organon
Purification - Destruction of the Wicked
Mystic Storm - Demo
Mirror - Pyramid of Terror
Flamen - Furur Lunae
Ultra Silvam - The Spearwound Salvation
Excuse - Prophets from the Occultic Cosmos
Frostveil - Ephemeral Visions
Dead Dog's Howl - Mausoleum of Confessed Thoughts
Saint Vitus - Saint Vitus
Serpent Rider - Pour Forth Surquidous
Sölicitör - EP
Mystik - Mystik
Evil Angel - Unholy Evil Metal

Have to say, this has been a very killer year so far. the Purification debut full-length may just be my number one right now. It's refreshing to hear such old school traditional oriented and grit filled doom like this, as it has sort of become a lost art being drowned out by stoner rehash and atmospheric sludge junk. Mirror's album really scratches the itch for trad. Such an electrified and inspired youthful energy on that one. Also, while Mystic Storm is super short and only a demo, it has me overtly excited for what the band has to offer in the future. Mean as fuck is the name of the game there.

Author:  Dustroy_Troly [ Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:53 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

Required Fields wrote:
I asked a question in the "death metal help" thread, but didn't get an answer. Perhaps some here can help me.

Are there any death metal albums released in 2019 that are in the vein of early 1990s era Death? I'm a huge fan of this type of sound.

Try the latest Contrarian album. 90s Death is clearly the main influence. And it's a pretty great album too.

Author:  Hefeystossotsyefeh [ Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

The new Denial of God EP is very solid and clearly the guys still 'got it'. Else, the Funereal Presence LP and Drastus LP are fine releases from this year that - as regards black metal - hasn't really provided much as a genre on the whole, in my opinion.

Author:  therealvivs [ Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

Gravetemplar wrote:
I already have a list of 20 albums that I think are great. Mostly black metal, I think it's been a great year so far.

If you guys are into Behemoth/Musmahhu/Cult of Fire you should listen to this.

Image

https://templekoludra.bandcamp.com/


I agree, this is indeed good stuff.
If you're into any of the aforementioned bands, stuff like Sulphur Aeon or just blackened death in general, check this out.

Author:  Pitiless Wanderer [ Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

Sulphur Aeon is one of my favorite bands...I'll definitely check that out. For some quality thrash metal, I'd suggest the new Inculter album, Fatal Vision, if people haven't heard it already.

Another interesting release has been Ceremenony of Silence - Outis. Blackened/dissonant death metal.

https://ceremonyofsilence.bandcamp.com/

Author:  I Am the Law [ Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

Bladius wrote:
New Exhorder song just kicks so much ass! Can't wait for the album!!

Sabaton - The Great War: Absolutely love it! Nothing new...just more of the same insanely catchy power metal they are known for.

Rogga Johansson - Entrance to the Otherwhere: Great slab of old school death metal.


I can't lie, I was going to ignore that Rogga album. I'm so used to his music being more akin to overdone basic bitch HM2 I just started passing him and his many, many projects over. But I gave one of the songs a shot and was surprised. It reminds me more of something Edge of Sanity might have done around the Spectral Sorrows era, albeit a bit more mid-paced.

Author:  verdammt haesslich [ Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

Mephitic Corpse - Immense Thickening Vomit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKf2If6lv4o

new grinding death coming out on headsplit

Author:  Pitiless Wanderer [ Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

Fuck I'm just getting around to this Lvcifyre - Sacarment EP. What awesome shit this is.

Author:  devil1111 [ Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:11 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

New hatriot is pretty fun - my kind of bay area thrash

Author:  MorbidEngel [ Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:01 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

https://woundsofrecollection.bandcamp.c ... an-light-2
https://vhshorror.bandcamp.com/album/we ... gger-riffs

Both released the 26th, good shit. First is blackened funeral doom, the other is grindy death/thrash

Author:  jimbies [ Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:03 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

devil1111 wrote:
New hatriot is pretty fun - my kind of bay area thrash


I'm on my third listen now. It's pretty relentless. I mentioned in the "now playing" thread, I cannot believe how much Steve's son sounds like him.

Author:  PascalE [ Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

Half year update for me:

1. Inferi - The End of an Era Rebirth
2. Malist - In the Catacombs of Time
3. Hath - Of Rot and Ruin
4. Abbath - Outstrider
5. Wormwitch - Heaven that Dwells Within
6. Grand Magus - Wolf God
7. Paladin - Ascension
8. Allegaeon - Apoptosis
9. Hannes Grossmann - Apophenia
10. Soilwork - Verkligheten


Listening to the new stuff of:
Deathspell Omega
Bathuska
Firespawn
Memoriam
The Great Old Ones (just a single so far ;))
Lunar Shadow

Author:  Pitiless Wanderer [ Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:40 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

Been a very slow year so far imo. Still impressed the most with Hath, Devil Master, Evergrey - those are probably my top 3. Slightly below I'd place Swallow the Sun (great album), Kaleikr, and The Lvcifyre EP is also awesome. I am also enjoying Waldgefluster, Possessed and a few others. I still have a lot I haven't listened to yet. Mostly though, I am eagerly awaiting the Insomnium and Hypocrisy albums this fall \m/

Author:  Ace_Rimmer [ Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

I've picked up some good stuff but mostly records by established bands. What is a killer traditional or death metal debut?

Author:  DeathfareDevil [ Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
I've picked up some good stuff but mostly records by established bands. What is a killer traditional or death metal debut?


For death:

https://ironboneheadproductions.bandcam ... lum-mortis
Thrashy demonic death metal from Mexico. Altars of Madnessy.

https://ironboneheadproductions.bandcam ... the-odious
New school of old school death metal that sounds like zombies digging themselves out of their graves.

Ha. I don't work for Iron Bonehead but only just now realized both of these are on it.

Also there's an amazing demo from Malignant Altar:
https://malignantaltar.bandcamp.com/alb ... lous-God's

Author:  Ace_Rimmer [ Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

DeathfareDevil wrote:
Ace_Rimmer wrote:
I've picked up some good stuff but mostly records by established bands. What is a killer traditional or death metal debut?


For death:

https://ironboneheadproductions.bandcam ... lum-mortis
Thrashy demonic death metal from Mexico. Altars of Madnessy.

https://ironboneheadproductions.bandcam ... the-odious
New school of old school death metal that sounds like zombies digging themselves out of their graves.

Ha. I don't work for Iron Bonehead but only just now realized both of these are on it.

Also there's an amazing demo from Malignant Altar:
https://malignantaltar.bandcamp.com/alb ... lous-God's


Thanks man that Musmahhu sounds pretty cool.

Author:  narsilianshard [ Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

MorbidEngel wrote:
https://shadowstrike.bandcamp.com/album/legends-of-human-spirit

These guys put their first full album out a couple of days ago and it's surprisingly good

Thanks for the rec! Super similar to Stratovarius, but that's definitely not a bad thing.

Author:  CrushedRevelation [ Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:00 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

Fucking hell. New discovery for me this year, and a band I was previously completely unaware of their existence. Well no more - anyone who is interested in some truly savage and destructive black metal, then I highly recommend checking out the pulsing, raging, bleak insanity that is Pharmakeia.

This is some monstrous, compelling shit. Whoa.

Image

Youtube: show

Author:  Wilytank [ Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Fucking hell. New discovery for me this year, and a band I was previously completely unaware of their existence. Well no more - anyone who is interested in some truly savage and destructive black metal, then I highly recommend checking out the pulsing, raging, bleak insanity that is Pharmakeia.

This is some monstrous, compelling shit. Whoa.

These guys are actually brand new. They're the newest project in the enigmatic circle called the Prava Kollektiv with Arkhtinn, Mahr, Hwwauoch, and Voidsphere. The latter 3 also put out new releases that are equally strong. This group of bands is worth watching in the future.

Also, all their stuff is available for free/name your price at Bandcamp: https://pravakollektiv.bandcamp.com/

Author:  joppek [ Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
For some quality thrash metal, I'd suggest the new Inculter album, Fatal Vision, if people haven't heard it already.


checking a random track on youtube and the first thing to come to mind is how their album cover instantly reminds me of krypts' debut, with the color scheme from their sophomore :lol:

Author:  jimbies [ Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

Just finished listening to the Grima album "Will Of The Primordial". Folk/Black metal from Siberia. It's obviously cold and bleak. I really liked it, but I think I'll revisit it in a couple months when the weather turns.

Author:  Pitiless Wanderer [ Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

I loved the first Grima record. I need to get this.

Author:  Pitiless Wanderer [ Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

lol that Shadow Strike album is awesome. reminds me of a blend of so many bands - Strato, Pathfinder, Dragonforce etc.

Author:  dmerritt [ Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

doomicus wrote:
Updating my list that was posted in the thread previously:

Chevalier - Destiny Calls
Smoulder - Times of Obscene Evil and Wild Daring
Dark Fury - Flooded Lands
Funereal Presence - Achatius
Förgjord - Ilmestykset
Sacrilegia - The Triclavian Advent
Chainbreaker - Lethal Desire
Skullsmasher - Rocket Hammer Brain Surgery
Magnabolt - Magnabolt
Ares Kingdom - By the Light of Our Destruction
Funeral Storm - Arcane Mysteries
Father Befouled - Holy Rotten Blood
Ravenzang - Uit een duister verleden
Triumph, Genus - Po vrhu vždy je prázdno kolébek
Slough Feg - New Organon
Purification - Destruction of the Wicked
Mystic Storm - Demo
Mirror - Pyramid of Terror
Flamen - Furur Lunae
Ultra Silvam - The Spearwound Salvation
Excuse - Prophets from the Occultic Cosmos
Frostveil - Ephemeral Visions
Dead Dog's Howl - Mausoleum of Confessed Thoughts
Saint Vitus - Saint Vitus
Serpent Rider - Pour Forth Surquidous
Sölicitör - EP
Mystik - Mystik
Evil Angel - Unholy Evil Metal

Have to say, this has been a very killer year so far. the Purification debut full-length may just be my number one right now. It's refreshing to hear such old school traditional oriented and grit filled doom like this, as it has sort of become a lost art being drowned out by stoner rehash and atmospheric sludge junk. Mirror's album really scratches the itch for trad. Such an electrified and inspired youthful energy on that one. Also, while Mystic Storm is super short and only a demo, it has me overtly excited for what the band has to offer in the future. Mean as fuck is the name of the game there.


Really nice list. I found that Ravenzang through your previous version of this post. Glad to see Flamen get a mention. That album is exceptional.

Author:  PvtNinjer [ Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

Don't know how I missed it but finally heard the new Mispyrming album... pretty slick. Surprised I didn't hear muchabout this considering how much buzz was around their last release.

Author:  Pitiless Wanderer [ Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Worthwhile Releases From 2019

I was sort of underwhelmed by it *shrug*

Page 11 of 14 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/