Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:06 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
New Teitanblood is great. Much more direct than their previous stuff. It's like Anteinferno for almost 50 minutes.

damn, didn't know they had a new one coming. death didn't do much for me after seven chalices tho'

youtube link for those interested:

Youtube: show

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:57 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
New Teitanblood is great. Much more direct than their previous stuff. It's like Anteinferno for almost 50 minutes.

I'm not hearing your "Anteinfierno" description, honestly. To me it sounds a bit less savage than that, not to mention the ambient interludes that break up the pacing throughout. I hear a more stripped down/concise version of Woven Black Arteries/Accursed Skin, with the brooding darkness found in Seven Chalices peeking through at times. Undoubtedly a good Teitanblood release, but not a total throat-slitter like Death. I'm eager to read the lyrics during my next listen, when I get my physical copy in.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:07 am 

Dragunov wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

I'm not hearing your "Anteinfierno" description, honestly. To me it sounds a bit less savage than that, not to mention the ambient interludes that break up the pacing throughout. I hear a more stripped down/concise version of Woven Black Arteries/Accursed Skin, with the brooding darkness found in Seven Chalices peeking through at times. Undoubtedly a good Teitanblood release, but not a total throat-slitter like Death. I'm eager to read the lyrics during my next listen, when I get my physical copy in.

Well, this one is made of shorter tracks with a more "in your face" sound, wild solos, etc. Do you really not see the connection with Anteinfierno? This album may not be as intense as that track but it's definitely closer to than one than any of the other songs in Death.

Accursed skin had a huge swedeath influence that is gone here. As a matter of fact I was a bit worried because I didn't really liked that one but this is great. I agree it's not as good as Death but I don't really think you can top an album like Death. The interludes are probably my least favourite thing about the new album but they don't ruin my experience either.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:25 am 

I mean, there's a very superficial connection as the songs are shorter and remain "fast" for the most part, but "Anteinfierno" sounded much more savage than what is on this record. The relentless blasting, the very up-front vocal mix and layering, the whammy bar shredding, etc is a bit more tame this time around than that track is. I do not agree at all that this album is "Anteinfierno for 50 minutes".

I do think, however, that the band has presented a subtle change in the dynamic of their music with this record, all while retaining the atmosphere they're known for. Definitely a worthy addition to their discography. I really enjoy the little bursts of brutal, simple death/thrash riffage that are peppered throughout. As a huge fan of their drum sound, I think those parts really accentuate how powerful the drumming is, even without blastbeats or chop-laden fills.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:09 am 

I still think Anteinferno is the closest track they've done to the sound of this new album. I also think it's great they've recorded three albums and each one has been different but each one still sounds like Teitanblood. This one may not be as good as Death but at least it isn't Death 2.0 or a copy of 7 Chalices.

Last edited by Gravetemplar on Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:41 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
This one may not be as good as Death but at least it isn't Death 2.0 or a copy of 7 Chalices.

Indeed, it definitely has it's own flavor. I'll be jamming this one quite a bit!

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:38 pm 

I wrote both messages from my phone and there are way too many typos, I swear I wasn't drunk when I posted.

It's also worth mentioning the artwork is great but the actual cover is kind of meh. The flyers and artwork inside the booklet are way better than the cover, not sure why they chose it. It should have been black and white with the red logo at least.

More:

Spoiler: show

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:37 pm 

One thing I noticed: Teitanblood has 4 members now.
The atmosphere on this record is unreal. Looks like they continued their sound from Accursed Skin and pushed it further. This one's going on my list for sure.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:49 pm 

TheMysticWombat wrote:
One thing I noticed: Teitanblood has 4 members now.
The atmosphere on this record is unreal. Looks like they continued their sound from Accursed Skin and pushed it further. This one's going on my list for sure.

They are really the same guys that recorded Death: NSK and J are still the core members. CG Santos (the guy from Like Drone Razors Through Flesh Sphere) has been doing the drone effects since Seven Chalices and Javi Bastard already recorded their stuff in his studio and did some solos.

Edit: typos.

Last edited by Gravetemplar on Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:00 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
They are really the same guys that recorded Death: NSK and J are still the core members. CG Santos (the guy from Like Drone Razors Through Flesh Sphere) has been doing the drone effects since Secen Chalices and Javi Bastard already recorded their stuff in his studio and did some solos.

I have both CDs, but I never read the liner notes. :o

Cerebral Rot is fucking sick btw. I dug that release.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:25 pm 

new teitanblood didn't quite do much for me on first listen. but i think listening to gore- and/or noisegrind all day beforehand kinda dulled whatever impact it could've had. definitely feels like a more atmospheric album than the previous two imo.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:06 pm 

Yeah, it isn't really doing much for me either. Then again, neither did the last one. Guess they're just not for me.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:13 pm 

I’ve been listening to it all day, and I realized that the murkiness doesn’t really help the recording this time. I fiddled with my stereo and finally heard all of the really great tempo/riff changes there are on this record. As I’m becoming familiar with the individual tracks I’m really starting to like it more.

Auch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:58 am 

EpicSceptic wrote:
Unorthodox wrote:
Maybe was mentioned already, but Misþyrming's Algleymi is fucking incredible. Absolutely top notch melodies, really beautiful.

Was also not that blown away by the first album but I did enjoy it. Algleymi, on the other hand, hit me instantly. Strong contender for my black metal AOTY right now. Funereal Presence is still in contention though.

Sorry to dig up a very old post but I relistened to Algleymi again this past weekend after having not listened to it since its release and I’m just not seeing the cause for its praise, here or in the reviews. I found it a boring melodic black/black and roll album that I don’t think I’ll listen to again. Which is a shame as I really enjoyed the debut. It just feels forgettable and like other bands have done it.

Is there something I’m missing? Am I completely misremembering Söngvar..

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:23 am 

It's all personal preferences. I didn't really like their first self-titled until I listened to it again. I think it's good, but not as good as their newest. With Algleymi, I love the melodies, the song structures are perfect, the aggression hits at perfect spots. The cover art is great, everything just feels complete about the album.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:35 pm 

Wow. I've been actively avoiding Misþyrming because Icelandic BM has never clicked with me but this is not at all what I was expecting. Assumed all these bands were a caustic, dissonant mess, but to my ears Algleymi is just a more extreme version of Vreid. Thanks for bringing this back up!

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:32 pm 

I like the new Misthyrming but yet it is a totally different beast from the debut (and the other big-name Icelandic bands). I still think that Sinmara's new album beats it though; Sinmara is a bit denser and in the distinctive Icelandic style, but still goes for some of those ethereal melodies. Both great albums, however. I'm just glad to hear some new stuff happening in black metal!

I know most people who like or think they might like Atlantean Kodex have probably already gave the new album a listen, but I'm just here to plug for it again. It is a masterpiece; listen to it if it is even remotely in your wheelhouse. Even if "The White Goddess" didn't totally impress you; I think this album is better as a whole, as I never want to skip any tracks (like I sometimes, sometimes did on that previous one).

https://atlanteankodex-vanrecords.bandc ... -of-empire

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:22 pm 

That new Misthyrming album is good but I think it could be better. Tracks 1, 2, 7 and 8 are so much better than the rest. I agree the Sinmara album is better.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:18 pm 

Yes, that Sinmara album is really good. Probably will end up in my top 10. I still think I'm giving Hath my #1. What a sick record.

ironman8008
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:12 am 

I strongly recommend albums by Blut aus Nord, Borknagar and Mortem (Nor).

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:34 am 

Mortiferum's debut just dropped and it is massive and disgusting. Anyone into slow paced, heavy as hell death metal needs to give it a spin. I saw them in the summer, never having heard of them before, and they blew me away. Glad to see they now have a great record out.

akb88
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:50 pm 

Nice to see my local boys in Misþyrming and Sinmara getting some love.

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:29 pm 

The new Teitanblood is scary as fuck and utterly crushing all the way through. While it does not reach the absolute levels of total caveman annihilation and madness from Death it is certainly not a repetition of their previous stuff and I actually hear a lot of death/doom riffs (albeit played over constant blast-beats). The production values are great too. I think it will be up in my end of the year list, along with the stelllar albums by Misthyrming, L'Acephale or that double-LP by Sanguine Eagle.

Dail
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:19 pm 

SD Plissken wrote:

Well worth the wait.

Appreciate this. Had no idea it was released. Going to hunt it down.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:09 pm 

I've been spinning the new Orodruin album Ruins of Eternity quite a bit. Guys haven't lost anything through the years. Love their true Maryland doom sound.

Also, If black/speed/punk is your thing then definitely check out Sekkusu - Satyrömania. It's ugly, lean, and mean. Plus I also hear a bit of a Japanese hardcore influence in there, which always gets me hooked (think GISM, Gauze, and Gastunk).

Helvetets Port recently put out From Life to Death and I think I'll end up enjoying it even more than Exodus to Hell. Love traditional Swedish heavy metal, and they capture the classic sound and quirkiness of the original bands pretty much perfectly.

Sammath - Across the Rhine is Only Death picks up exactly where Godless Arrogance left off and may even be more vicious. Will need to give this one some time to see if it has staying power, but for now it has been kicking my head in every time I play it.

New Profanatica is more of the same, but I wouldn't want it any other way.

Mykman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:50 am 

The new Gatecreeoer LP is just amazing. If you are into swedish DM / Bolt Thrower check this out !
No surprises here just a perfect mix of these. The best DM for me in 2019 (it sounds 1990).

https://gatecreeper.bandcamp.com/album/deserted

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:09 am 

doomicus wrote:
I've been spinning the new Orodruin album Ruins of Eternity quite a bit. Guys haven't lost anything through the years. Love their true Maryland doom sound.

I liked the advance single quite a bit, but when I got to listen to the full album it sounded a bit tame when compared to Epicurean Mass. Softer, mellower and with a lesser emphasis on being a heavyweight. It's not a bad album but it kind of feels to me like it's a step away from the sound of the debut.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:03 pm 

On my first listen to the new Teitanblood, I felt I could get the same general feeling from the new Antichrist Siege Machine album which is almost half as long.

I've decided this is the only kind of collection in the world that matters.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:04 pm 

androdion wrote:
doomicus wrote:

I liked the advance single quite a bit, but when I got to listen to the full album it sounded a bit tame when compared to Epicurean Mass. Softer, mellower and with a lesser emphasis on being a heavyweight. It's not a bad album but it kind of feels to me like it's a step away from the sound of the debut.

You're right, the album isn't as immediate as Epicurean Mass. But I also feel like the songwriting is more mature and this one I think is going to be quite the grower for a lot of people.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:32 am 

Dead Gods by Nekroí Theoí ought to get some love. What a massive beast of an album (with the emphasis on "album". It really feels like an album and not just a collection of songs).

Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:27 am 

Lots of good stuff in the later part of this year, i think. I'm not sure if I've seen any mentions of the new Midnight Priest, but i really dig it. Better than most traditional heavy metal stuff ive heard lately.

Dead But Dreaming Tape Distro
https://dbdtapedistro.blogspot.com

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:45 am 

ORO – Djupets Kall

It seems that there has been a lot of good post-metal/sludge releases this year. Or maybe it's just because I have been listening to the genre more than usual. Anyway here is another band from Sweden that apparently released the album in march, but I missed it and only noticed them because they're playing in Stockholm tomorrow. I think that some of the songs were released even earlier on an EP. It's like evil molasses to the ears, good stuff indeed!

Youtube: show

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:35 am 

e_ddi_e wrote:
It seems that there has been a lot of good post-metal/sludge releases this year.

Cranial's Alternate Endings has got to be the best of them. Such a massive record and a major improvement over Dark Towers/Bright Lights.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:02 am 

androdion wrote:
e_ddi_e wrote:
It seems that there has been a lot of good post-metal/sludge releases this year.

Cranial's Alternate Endings has got to be the best of them. Such a massive record and a major improvement over Dark Towers/Bright Lights.

Thnx for the tip.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:50 pm 

Hoping some hot-takes on the new Teitanblood will show up in this thread. Completely snuck up on me. There was a time where I was slavering for new TTNBLD but I never latched onto Death the same way that Seven Chalices grabbed me. The new one being the shortest yet gives me some hope. If the mood is right I'm going to check it out tonight with headphones for max effect.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:18 am 

This very page has discussions on their new album. I don't find it very appealing.

Voidsel
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:19 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
This very page has discussions on their new album. I don't find it very appealing.

I don't think Teitanblood ever set out to create anything appealing (yeah I know what you mean).

Edit: Just listened, it's more conventional than Death or Seven Chalices. Quality is good. Still a creepy/disturbed atmosphere but doesn't feel as unique.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:08 pm 

Anyone interested in progressive metal should check out the new Ray Alder record. His voice is amazing.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:51 pm 

The new Screamer is everything I was hoping for from Enforcer. Ridiculously fun speed/heavy metal with a glam flair:
https://wearescreamer.bandcamp.com/albu ... -of-heroes

And holy shit, the Thrawsunblat live album. It's really rare for folky metal bands to pull off legit acoustic albums but they nailed it. I think I actually prefer these versions of the songs:
https://thrawsunblat.bandcamp.com/album ... rest-floor

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:20 pm 

e_ddi_e wrote:
ORO – Djupets Kall

I'm liking what I'm hearing here. What else have you been up to in that genre this year?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next