Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:25 pm 

Quote:
"Freemasons, occultists and conspiracy theory enthusiasts pay attention! God Dethroned is back to smack you in the face with our new album called 'Illuminati' (release date: February 7, 2020). After finishing the World War One trilogy, it was about time to go back to dark side with songs about religion, freemasonry and the occult. Song titles like 'Spirit of Beelzebub', 'Broken Halo', 'Book of Lies' and 'Satan Spawn' leave very little to the imagination as to what to expect from us from a lyrical point of view.

But those of you who expected us to go back into a raging frenzy of endless blastbeats and buzzsaw blade guitar sounds better beware. 'Illuminati' is our most varied album to date with a heavy, yet in-your-face type of production. We managed to make our sound bigger and more orchestral than ever before with the use of both atmospheric keyboard parts and many additional vocal parts such as choirs and grunt-on-tone type of vocals. There is a lot to be discovered in the songs of this album because of the many details hidden in the music that will only reveal itself after many listens, and at the same time the tunes on 'Illuminati' are catchier than ever before.

Lovers of Rhandy Roads-meets-Marty Friedman type of melodic guitar solos should definitely give Dave Meester's spectacular leads a listen. Dave was welcomed to the band's line-up during the European tour with Belphegor and Suffocation and stayed within our ranks ever since. Former guitar player Mike Ferguson however contributed greatly to 'Illuminati' by writing several stunning songs and riffs as well as recording half of all the rhythm tracks on the album. We wish him all the best in his future endeavours."

Illuminati track-listing
1. Illuminati
2. Broken Halo
3. Book of Lies
4. Spirit of Beelzebub
5. Satan Spawn
6. Gabriel
7. Eye of Horus
8. Dominus Muscarum
9. Blood Moon Eclipse

Album cover by Michal Xaay Loranc

Album cover (spoiler is due to size):
Spoiler: show

Youtube: show

Just yesterday I was wondering when these guys would announce a new album, and here we are! Glad the band is finally singing about Satan again, the WWI schtick got old pretty quick and the last two albums were decent but nothing special compared to their previous work. The new song is pretty cool, it partially harkens back to their mid-period sound, namely The Grand Grimoire, Bloody Blasphemy, and Ravenous (which is coincidentally my favorite God Dethroned era), while also incorporating some new ideas - seems a lot moodier and more atmospheric than anything they've done in the past. Album cover and song titles look pretty cool too, so I'm excited to see what this new album has in store!

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:08 pm 

I was a little disappointed that they made yet another WWI album after the reunion, so this new theme (even if it's a bit cliche in terms of metal album themes) is a welcome change.
In the end- in life- aren't we all sort of wearing corpse-paint in front of a crowd of strangers? Or is that the most pathetic metal-themed analogy ever uttered? I cannot tell, but I feel a bit ashamed now.

NEW Valcove album: https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:23 pm 

Not sure about that song, slower parts are generic and sort of boring, faster section is pretty neat and headbang-inducing. The video on the other hand is just an addition to the interminable collection of bad metal videos, a waste of resources, they should just stop doing those.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:44 pm 

blackmantram wrote:
Not sure about that song, slower parts are generic and sort of boring, faster section is pretty neat and headbang-inducing. The video on the other hand is just an addition to the interminable collection of bad metal videos, a waste of resources, they should just stop doing those.

I dunno, I thought it was kind of a fun throwback to the old days where most metal music videos were shlocky, b-movie affairs...Kind of nice to see that again since so many metal mv's these days are as Deep and Symbolic as possible.
In the end- in life- aren't we all sort of wearing corpse-paint in front of a crowd of strangers? Or is that the most pathetic metal-themed analogy ever uttered? I cannot tell, but I feel a bit ashamed now.

NEW Valcove album: https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:51 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
I dunno, I thought it was kind of a fun throwback to the old days where most metal music videos were shlocky, b-movie affairs...Kind of nice to see that again since so many metal mv's these days are as Deep and Symbolic as possible.

As a fan of 80's b movies myself that would be something I'd really appreciate, but I don't see it here, for me a real throwback would be using practical effects and ketchup blood instead of 5 minute after effects CGI.

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:07 pm 

The description didn't sound promising at all, but that songs is pretty good. Haven't paid attention to these guys in a while, looking forward to the new album though.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:06 am 

blackmantram wrote:
Not sure about that song, slower parts are generic and sort of boring, faster section is pretty neat and headbang-inducing.

My thoughts exactly. The faster parts definitely reminded me of late 90s God Dethroned. I'm definitely stoked to hear new material from them and more so they're going on a tour early next year, so there's that!

Everflowingstream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:05 am 

Didn't mind the main riff albeit nothing new. Keyboards not for me, video clip not for me and if the press release states Randy Roads/Marty Friedman style solos perhaps have them on the title track.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:13 am 

I was listening to God Dethroned all night, so it was very much a pleasant surprise to see there's a new release on the way. Their last albums have been legendary death metal releases - the sound production is perfect. I wasn't too sure about the slower parts on the new single and it looks like they're slowing down their tempo overall, but let's hope it works.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:50 pm 

Am I the only one who thinks that The World Ablaze is fucking amazing? Can’t get enough of it. Looking forward to the new album!

Reply to topic