Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:13 am 

After years of rumors and cryptic statements from the band members, just an hour ago it was finally announced via Facebook Dismember has officially reformed with the whole original lineup (Matti Karki, Robert Senneback, David Blomqvist, Richard Cabeza, and Fred Estby) and will be playing Scandanavia Deathfest in 2019!

Here's the official statement:

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:56 am 

Brilliant news. Please organise an Australian tour ASAP. One of the best live bands I've ever seen.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

idunnosomename
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:57 am 

Oh wow, was just playing Like An Everflowing Stream and thinking how great it is.

Um, can I have Bolt Thrower back next?

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:15 am 

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:22 am 

YES!!! My favourite DM band. Hope there'll be some UK shows in due course.

xxld1k
The Sweetest Summer Child EVER!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:59 am 

Wish I could make the trip to Sweden for the legendary lineup.

I wonder if a new album would be in the works or if it is just a few festival shows.

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:37 am 

idunnosomename wrote:
Um, can I have Bolt Thrower back next?

not with the state of karl's voice please (judging by memoriam)

this is great news tho'

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:43 am 

Great news but it was honestly kind of predictable, it's kind of a trend for bands like this to split up only to reform some years latter. It only surprises me it took them 8 years to do it, I gave them three years at most when I first heard of their breakup. The same for Bolt thrower (After the memoriam fiasco that's pretty much the logical next step)

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:29 pm 

A new album and I would be happy. Really, really happy.

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:33 pm 

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn that's great news!

Xymosys
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:44 pm 

I can't explain, but I had a feeling for years this is goin' to happen...Every now and then I go to their MA page to check are they finally back, and now they are! Great!

Runko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:55 pm 

Currently masturbating.

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:37 pm 

This basically puts everything right in the world.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:37 pm 

I'll be there. Jesus I saw that it's in 2019 and thought about how far away that is being next year and all then lo and behold I realized that it is 2019. Always nice to be reminded how old I am by my failing cognitive functions.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:53 pm 

blackmantram wrote:
Great news but it was honestly kind of predictable, it's kind of a trend for bands like this to split up only to reform some years latter. It only surprises me it took them 8 years to do it, I gave them three years at most when I first heard of their breakup. The same for Bolt thrower (After the memoriam fiasco that's pretty much the logical next step)

Can you blame 'em? This kind of band could plug away forever and be underrated or they could take a break and come back bigger than ever.

Seems like a fine time to go back and re-listen to some of their back catalogue. I'd love to see 'em live.

Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:21 pm 

When these guys broke up in 2011 it was like a hole was left in the genre that would never be replaced. A few days ago I was thinking how great it'd be if the original line-up, as far-fetched as it may be, reformed and the band started doing new music again. Well, I get half that since there's no talk of anything new. I'll take them being active again as good of a sign as I'll get.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:57 pm 

technically Dismember was p much on hold since their last album, that gig in 2011 was their first in years.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:12 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
When these guys broke up in 2011 it was like a hole was left in the genre that would never be replaced. A few days ago I was thinking how great it'd be if the original line-up, as far-fetched as it may be, reformed and the band started doing new music again. Well, I get half that since there's no talk of anything new. I'll take them being active again as good of a sign as I'll get.

Where did you read there's no talk of anything new? I mean sure, there's no mention of it yet but I'd say it's pretty much inevitable that they'll record more material, given the time constraints and distance issues that caused the initial breakup have been resolved.

As an aside, I've been on a massive Dismember kick for the last month or so - I finally finished my collection, so now I have every album and it's made me realize that they have an extremely solid discography. There's not one album I can point to as being a low-point, even the lone album (Massive Killing Capacity) where they kind of vaguely tipped their toes into groovier territory in a few songs is still fantastic and miles ahead of garbage like Grave's Hating Life, Unleashed's Warrior, Desultory's Swallow the Snake or god forbid, Entombed's Same Difference :puke:.

Pichushkin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:01 pm 

A North American Tour and all shall be well.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:21 am 

This thread got me to realize I wasn't giving the 2008 album enough love.

It's actually really good, though I'm in the crowd that also really enjoys Where Ironcrosses Grow so take my opinion as you will, hell I didn't mind Hate Campaign that much, and a lot of people dislike that one.

Still, more anything from them, and I'll be a happy man.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:25 am 

MorbidEngel wrote:
...hell I didn't mind Hate Campaign that much, and a lot of people dislike that one.

This is a very, very good album and I can't fathom why it isn't more highly regarded. A very vicious, unrelenting album. I saw them on the tour for this album too, excellent show.

blackmantram wrote:
Great news but it was honestly kind of predictable, it's kind of a trend for bands like this to split up only to reform some years latter.

Exactly this, these self imposed breakups/retirements rarely ever stick. This reformation is hardly surprising.

That said, I am glad it is with Estby, something was off for me with Daun's drumming on the 2008 album and I wanna say it was the snare drum tone. It was a nice organic, deep booming tone, but that's more suited for a classic rock band, or an indie rock band or something along those lines. It just felt off to me. Nothing bad to say about his playing, no doubt Daun's a fine player, I just think Estby's tone and feel better suits what Dismember does.
Obliteration

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:45 pm 

I haven't been following this band closely and hadn't event realised they had split. They seemed pretty prolific up until then. I thought it can't have been so long since the last album. Shows how time flies...

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:22 pm 

i think they have the 2nd best discography in death metal after bolt thrower. Hate Campaign is boring save for patrol 17 which is one of their best melodic songs.

Everflowingstream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:54 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
i think they have the 2nd best discography in death metal after bolt thrower. Hate Campaign is boring save for patrol 17 which is one of their best melodic songs.

First time I saw them I kept yelling out for it and they played it. Love it.

joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:49 am 

scandinavia deathfest was sold out in a day

anyone know what exactly they mean by "exclusive european appearance"? i'm guessing it's their only show in europe this year?

androdion
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:33 am 

joppek wrote:
scandinavia deathfest was sold out in a day

anyone know what exactly they mean by "exclusive european appearance"? i'm guessing it's their only show in europe this year?

Yeah, at one minute I'm checking flights for Stockholm and next you know there are no tickets anymore. I knew it would sell fast but that fast?! Oh well, I tried...

That's exactly it, only show in Europe. They're probably doing some overseas dates (or not), but taking into consideration the usual "exclusive appearance" banter I'd say they'll only play there in Europe. It's next to home, it's safe and inexpensive so for them it's all good.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:48 am 

joppek wrote:
scandinavia deathfest was sold out in a day.

Yeah. Here:
https://forum.metal-archives.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=123025

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:34 pm 

im pretty sure they will play a couple of the other deathfests in 2020.

Reply to topic