* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:57 pm 

true_death wrote:
Thy Shrine wrote:
Just thought about James Murphy, and his band Disincarnate, who are absolutely amazing, but I feel the average metal fan would recognize his stints in Death, Obituary, or Testament. Hell, even Cancer could be more well known than Disincarnate, but I don't know.

I'm confused...I mean, those bands are all bigger , and all have more than one album :lol:, so of course they're going to be more recognized. I mean, he literally broke up Disincarnate to join Testament so it's not a side band/main project thing. It's just a matter of Murphy being known more for his solos than his writing chops.

I meant it more in the sense that Disincarnate was the only band that was actually James Murphy's. I guess they wouldn't be "side projects" per se, but Murphy is definitely more known for collaborating with other bands than for his own band.

Perhaps.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:58 am 

THE ABYSS's s/t debut in my opinion overshadows anything HYPOCRISY have ever recorded. Another one of those albums that would look and sound terrific on proper vinyl!

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:17 am 

The Night Flight Orchestera > Soilwork
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:41 pm 

D4nzig wrote:
Trans Siberian Orchestra of course.

This project was initially created to push Savatage's sing Sarajevo 12/24 to the radio because nobody wanted to play Savatage and other "80's" bands and it was such huge success that TSO pretty much swallowed Savatage alive and at this point there is no hope that Savatage will ever be back on stage. RIP SAVATAGE

I can't believe I forgot about TSO. This one stings a lot because I recall an interview some time ago where Jon was asked about Savatage, and his answer was so close to being good before he just veered off course into a tree. He said something along the lines of "Ya know... it's a fun thought, but it really hasn't been the same ever since Criss died. It might be cool for old fans, and we could draw a couple hundred on a club tour or something, but at the end of the day I have five gold records on my wall and none of them say 'Savatage'."

I'm not even a Savatage fan and even I felt slapped when his answer basically boiled down to "lol fuck you I'm finally famous now".
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:17 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
The Night Flight Orchestera > Soilwork

Maybe I didn't explain very clearly in my initial post, but I was speaking about bands that initially began as side projects but eventually developed into the main focus of the band members, so much so the initial primary act was put on the backburner as a result. So, as of now examples like Night Flight Orchestra and Soilwork don't fit, because Bjorn is still very consistent with Soilwork material, and they are still the bigger band. It will be interesting to see this in a few years though, because I wouldn't be surprised if he turned his focus more on The Night Flight Orchestra.

Similarly, even if Wintersun is bigger than Ensiferum (I'm guessing they are around the same level of popularity, but Wintersun clearly has more "superfans"), Jari's involvement in Ensiferum was always full-time up until he left to pursue Wintersun full-time (if 3 albums in the past 14 years counts as full-time). Ensiferum has still been putting out records consistently since then.

TSO is a great example. Can't believe I didn't think of them. I am definitely not holding my breath for any new Savatage material.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:10 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I'm not even a Savatage fan and even I felt slapped when his answer basically boiled down to "lol fuck you I'm finally famous now".

I always interpreted that quote differently. It's more of a sad thing. Jon Oliva isn't really involved in TSO's touring at all, but the rest of Savatage (including Paul O'Neil) is. His hands are pretty much tied because they don't want to risk doing anything to diminish TSO's success.

The fact that he kept doing Jon Oliva's Pain and touring with that rather than TSO was the indicator that he'd rather be doing Savatage if he could.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:11 am 

Spiner202 wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

I always interpreted that quote differently. It's more of a sad thing. Jon Oliva isn't really involved in TSO's touring at all, but the rest of Savatage (including Paul O'Neil) is. His hands are pretty much tied because they don't want to risk doing anything to diminish TSO's success.

The fact that he kept doing Jon Oliva's Pain and touring with that rather than TSO was the indicator that he'd rather be doing Savatage if he could.

That's all true (to put things into perspective - Savatage cost Olivia 1 million USD to keep the band going over the years, while TSO made 56 million USD in an 11 week tour in 2017 - and that doesn't count merch sales or anything else...), but it goes even deeper than that. Here's a direct quote from Olivia about it:

Quote:
We all loved Savatage but we gave Savatage its chance to get to the level where it was supposed to get to and it never did, for whatever reasons, you know - we had tragedies, everything like that. But to me Savatage was never Savatage after Criss died. All these other lineups of the band that people heard from "Edge Of Thorns" (1993, Atlantic Records) on, to me was more like Trans-Siberian Orchestra actually than Savatage.

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:06 am 

I guess Kriegsmaschine and Mgła apply, since Mgła was intended as a studio project and Kriegsmaschine was supposed to be the main band.

Mgła overshadows Kriegsmaschine in popularity, but personally I like both bands and their takes on BM.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:58 pm 

I suppose you could say Hantaoma is a side project of a couple of the guys in Stille Volk. And while neither of the two projects is big enough to overshadow the other per se, I greatly prefer Hantaoma’s Malombra album to even the best of Stille Volk, which was quite good too.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:04 pm 

Thy Shrine wrote:
true_death wrote:
Thy Shrine wrote:
Just thought about James Murphy, and his band Disincarnate, who are absolutely amazing, but I feel the average metal fan would recognize his stints in Death, Obituary, or Testament. Hell, even Cancer could be more well known than Disincarnate, but I don't know.

I'm confused...I mean, those bands are all bigger , and all have more than one album :lol:, so of course they're going to be more recognized. I mean, he literally broke up Disincarnate to join Testament so it's not a side band/main project thing. It's just a matter of Murphy being known more for his solos than his writing chops.

I meant it more in the sense that Disincarnate was the only band that was actually James Murphy's. I guess they wouldn't be "side projects" per se, but Murphy is definitely more known for collaborating with other bands than for his own band.

Has Murphy even performed live since the cancer hit him?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2