Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:24 pm 

I recently revisited the album, Into the Madness by the heavy/power metal Night Mistress and realized it is now approaching five years since it was released. All members of the band are also in a band called Nocny Kochanek, which allegedly is a side project, however they have churned out three albums in the last four years. It is at the point where I question whether or not this group will ever return to making music under Night Mistress, or if they will continue pumping out Nocny Kochanek records. Despite being a side project, it appears as if Nocny Kochanek has a larger fan following (which is baffling to me, considering Night Mistress is significantly better), so I wouldn't be surprised if they abandoned Night Mistress altogether (if they haven't already).

I'm wondering what other examples there are where a side project takes off and leaves a musician's main project in the dust. And at what point does the term "side project" no longer apply? The other example I can think of off the top of my head is Avantasia. I personally prefer Edguy, but Avantasia has gotten huge and it feels like it is much more of Tobias' main focus.

PeteGas
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:29 pm 

Agreed on Avantasia. I’d like to think Night Flight Orchestra should be bigger than Soilwork because they are better but not sure if that will ever happen

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:48 pm 

+1 for Edguy > Avantasia. I hope at some point in the future we get a solid 5-10 year spell of Edguy again.

I feel like Peter Tagtgren has been distracted by Pain and Lindemann in recent years, leaving Hypocrisy in the shade. I think he has also cited a lack of inspiration as well though.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:00 pm 

Ex Deo > Kataklysm

Modern Katakylsm is acceptable but doesn't have the same bite to it as the old material. Lots of people would also call it pretty generic, melodic death metal-esque stuff without much interesting going on. Ex Deo on the other hand at least has an identity to it, as well as stronger songs. I always find myself gravitating toward those albums rather than anything Kataklysm has put out in at least the last 15 years. Maurizio puts more effort in his side project than his main one.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:12 pm 

I don't know if Terrorizer counts as a Morbid Angel side-project, but that's obviously a big one.

Same with Sort Vokter for Ildjarn.

There's something I really, seriously love, and that's a discography that's just some messing around on guitar as a "rehearsal", an album that's really a compilation of random tracks, most of them not even real songs, and a really poor-quality live recording, and it's one of the single most perfect discographies in metal history. That's Reverend Kriss Hades' solo project, one of the best things to exist in all of metal.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Draehl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:53 pm 

IMO Akhlys (and to a lesser extent Bestia Arcana) far surpasses Nightbringer. Ego Dominus Tuus is a pretty solid record, but even if every album were that good I'd still put the other two ahead.

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:56 pm 

Draehl wrote:
IMO Akhlys (and to a lesser extent Bestia Arcana) far surpasses Nightbringer.

This is true for all Nightbringer albums except Ego Dominus Tuus, which is by far the best of that style that has ever been produced. I was pretty disappointed by Terra Damnata. Man I want some more Akhlys, that album is insane.

TafferLad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:07 pm 

It's obvious Pain is more important to Peter these days, pretty sure they're more famous than Hypocrisy nowadays too.

Draehl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:07 pm 

BeholdtheNicktopus wrote:
Draehl wrote:

This is true for all Nightbringer albums except Ego Dominus Tuus, which is by far the best of that style that has ever been produced. I was pretty disappointed by Terra Damnata. Man I want some more Akhlys, that album is insane.

Haha, I snuck an edit in before you posted yours since Ego deserved mention. Good call tho for sure! And yeah, a new Akhlys is at the top of my expectations list alongside Vektor & Aquilus.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:38 pm 

While I don't believe that Bruce Dickinson's solo material has "overshadowed" Iron Maiden's, I do think his last 3 albums are better than anything IM has released after (and including) Dance of Death.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:05 pm 

Bruce's solo material was a big breath of fresh air for him over Maiden's stagnant material at the time. Hope he comes out with more eventually.

And yeah I miss Edguy too, and like them better overall - but if Avantasia keeps doing stuff as good as Ghostlights and "The Raven Child" then bring it on, I'm totally fine with that.

Peyp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:37 pm 

I've never listened to Hammerfall before, but it used to be a side-project of Crystal Age, a great but short-lived death metal project. Proto-Gothenburg with the aesthetics of Nocturnus. They only released one album, and then was put to rest when Hammerfall started gaining attention.
Due to the unfortunate reality of our guitarist fucking my girlfriend of almost 7 years WITCHROT will be taking an extended hiatus. I however will continue the band in another space and time... Thanks for the support, stay heavy. Also our drummer died...

RIP DIAMHEA

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:39 pm 

Ov Hell was better than Dimmu Borgir of 2010 and onwards. It was basic black metal but it was better than Abrahadabra which only had one or two good songs. Old Man's Child is better than Dimmu borgir from the point that Mustis joined Dimmu Borgir and onward all together if you count Dimmu borgir as his side project compared to Old Man's Child.

Black/Doom label and distro(all metal genres)
http://www.temptationsofresonance.com

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:11 pm 

Peyp wrote:
I've never listened to Hammerfall before, but it used to be a side-project of Crystal Age, a great but short-lived death metal project. Proto-Gothenburg with the aesthetics of Nocturnus. They only released one album, and then was put to rest when Hammerfall started gaining attention.

wow, i've never known about this connection :eek:

GOOFAM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:26 pm 

The textbook example is the whole Savatage/TSO thing.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:38 pm 

The big one is probably Avantasia, who have so utterly and completely destroyed Edguy in terms of popularity and creator attention in the last however many years that I'm pretty sure Tobi is far more well known as "the Avantasia guy" nowadays and that probably won't ever change. I'm definitely more interested in cases like that than Hammerfall. That is, cases where the original band was already a big deal only to be totally overshadowed by and abandoned for the side project.

The other example of that I can think of is probably Iron Reagan to Municipal Waste. Like 80% of the entire rethrash movement was Waste's fault, and their second and third albums were gold standards that everybody ripped off and, personally, I think they're two of the only albums from that whole scene that hold up at all nowadays. Then Iron Reagan started and was supposed to be the more punk-focused offshoot but almost immediately became exactly as popular as the main band. Pretty quickly they just started sounding exactly like Municipal Waste anyway (though more like the first album than the ones that followed) and now Waste just feels like an obligation they do every once in a while to keep old fans happy. Slime and Punishment was a very uninspired album, and I feel like the big tour they just recently had felt like something they were "supposed" to do. Tony's heart is clearly in Iron Reagan at this point. Once IR started, MW went five solid years without any sort of release whatsoever, whereas IR put out three full lengths and a crapload of EPs and splits in that timespan.

Phil also splits his time with Cannabis Corpse as well, which is also arguably bigger than Municipal Waste nowadays, but I really don't think I'd call that a side project so I won't count it.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:53 pm 

I hear people talk about Sargeist more than Horna, it seems. I think Satanic Black Devotion is more popular than anything put out by Horna.

Wintersun is probably about as popular as Ensiferum these days.

Neither of these bands necessarily left the original project "in the dust," but they're about as popular as the main projects by now.

As for personally liking side-projects more than main projects, I'd say Unearthed Elf's LP is better than anything I've heard from Arctic Sleep. Kerasphorus clobbers Angelcorpse.

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:28 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Ex Deo > Kataklysm

Modern Katakylsm is acceptable but doesn't have the same bite to it as the old material. Lots of people would also call it pretty generic, melodic death metal-esque stuff without much interesting going on. Ex Deo on the other hand at least has an identity to it, as well as stronger songs. I always find myself gravitating toward those albums rather than anything Kataklysm has put out in at least the last 15 years. Maurizio puts more effort in his side project than his main one.

I tend to see Kataklysm mentioned more often than Ex Deo but can't really relate. 'Romulus' was an interesting album and I haven't really kept up on either band much. "Taking the World By Storm" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gawms8BM3o) in Kataklysm's catalog does rub me the right way, though I can tell it's a more commercial piece, do you have any recommendations for a casual listener? Both are band's that seem to be more glances to me than deep cuts to really savor but Ex Deo really did capture an awesome sound in that first album some years back. Also, "Push the Venom" has a pretty Dismember vibe to it, that's pretty nasty so far.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:30 am 

Five_Nails wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:
Ex Deo > Kataklysm

I tend to see Kataklysm mentioned more often than Ex Deo but can't really relate. 'Romulus' was an interesting album and I haven't really kept up on either band much. "Taking the World By Storm" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gawms8BM3o) in Kataklysm's catalog does rub me the right way, though I can tell it's a more commercial piece, do you have any recommendations for a casual listener? Both are band's that seem to be more glances to me than deep cuts to really savor but Ex Deo really did capture an awesome sound in that first album some years back. Also, "Push the Venom" has a pretty Dismember vibe to it, that's pretty nasty so far.

Kataklysm is mentioned more often cause they're the main project and have been around for almost 30 years. Ex Deo only have three albums and their career is only 10 years old. Kataklysm's early stuff is a lot heavier, more zany and twisted, certainly based around someone as psychotic as their previous vocalist. Can't say the same for their later era, which sounds a lot tamer and more like melodic death.

I dig Waiting for the End to Come but I still prefer Caligula or Immortal Wars. You can try any of those albums out and you're probably going to enjoy it.

Check these out for both bands. If you want heavier and crazier check out 90s Kataklysm:

Spoiler: show

Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:36 am 

Oppressor was a groundbreaking and highly influential technical death metal band in the 90's. Towards the end of the 90's, three of the four members decided to form a rock side project called SoiL, which eventually completely overtook Oppressor in popularity thus causing the end of that and as they chose to focus on SoiL ever since. Also, probably one of the only important/prominent OSDM bands that still hasn't reformed even after all these years :(.

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:44 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
Five_Nails wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:
Ex Deo > Kataklysm

Kataklysm is mentioned more often cause they're the main project and have been around for almost 30 years. Ex Deo only have three albums and their career is only 10 years old. Kataklysm's early stuff is a lot heavier, more zany and twisted, certainly based around someone as psychotic as their previous vocalist. Can't say the same for their later era, which sounds a lot tamer and more like melodic death.

I dig Waiting for the End to Come but I still prefer Caligula or Immortal Wars. You can try any of those albums out and you're probably going to enjoy it.

Check these out for both bands. If you want heavier and crazier check out 90s Kataklysm:

Spoiler: show

I actually ended up listening to that Kataklysm song while I was going through some of their videos. I just can't help but hear the Killswitch formula in that one, that's what their later period seems like so far, just Killswitch with a blast here and there.

Ex Deo still has that epic sound to it but I'll have to dive into the rest of the album to see if there's something that moves a bit more. With all this music and content to take in I feel like I have the attention span of a stoned skull fractured teenager with early onset and really need something to grab me without losing its grip before the second verse. Sadly, that's what Kataklysm did in too many of its songs when I was binging last night.

true_death wrote:
Oppressor was a groundbreaking and highly influential technical death metal band in the 90's. Towards the end of the 90's, three of the four members decided to form a rock side project called SoiL, which eventually completely overtook Oppressor in popularity thus causing the end of that and as they chose to focus on SoiL ever since. Also, probably one of the only important/prominent OSDM bands that still hasn't reformed even after all these years :(.

Awesome, some new-to-me tech death. Just downloaded their discography and man, this meaty stuff like "In Exile" already has my husband's bulge straining against my zipper.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:02 pm 

droneriot wrote:
I don't know if Terrorizer counts as a Morbid Angel side-project, but that's obviously a big one.

Pete is never gonna go back to Morbid Angel because Jesus told him not to.

Also Hypocrisy has been out of ideas for 20 years now, so they can stay dead.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

Auch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:16 pm 

BeholdtheNicktopus wrote:
Draehl wrote:

Agreed on all of this. I'm hesitant to dive super into Nightbringer since Terra Domnata was apparently strongly influenced by the writings of Evola. I'd love new Akhlys. I'm interested to see what comes from Aoratos (Naas other other other side project) too.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:17 pm 

does Summoning > Abigor count?

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:46 pm 

I have to agree on Edguy and Avantasia. The latter was supposed to be a side project for power metal fans that released two great records in the beginning of the millennium. Edguy however became the best European power metal band with records like Hellfire Club and Rocket Ride one and a half decades ago. After a long break, Sammet decided to revive the Avantasia project again and decided to keep it going. He fulfilled his dreams of performing with his childhood heroes as he shifted the band's style from power metal towards a multitude of other more commercially successful genres. Since people like being nostalgic, the project became a huge success. However, Edguy lost all its momentum from thereon, released a few half-hearted records and its last studio record has been released five years ago. It's a shame that Edguy couldn't live up to its incredible potential because of Avantasia's commercial success. Sammet wrote great songs for both projects but imagine if only Edguy existed and all these amazing songs would be on their albums. Edguy had the potential to be the next big thing in the metal scene, in terms of success equal or similar to the great veterans of the seventies and eighties like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. Sammet sacrificed this possibility for the sake of living a continuous childhood dream. It's difficult to blame him for this but it's a shame for the other Edguy members and their fans.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:47 pm 

Agree with Bruce Dickinson - AoB and Chemical Wedding are better than 90% of Maiden's back catalogue.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:52 pm 

Cosmic_Equilibrium wrote:
Agree with Bruce Dickinson - AoB and Chemical Wedding are better than 90% of Maiden's back catalogue.

90%?

Shut up.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

Peyp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:47 pm 

Just realized that Dragonland & Amaranthe work really well in this situation. Dragonland was a band that built a considerable reputation in both the prog/power community and the symphonic power community, but the lead guitarist founded commercial "pop metal" group Amaranthe, and they haven't made an album since its inception and takeoff (and yes, Amaranthe is a hundred times more successful).
Due to the unfortunate reality of our guitarist fucking my girlfriend of almost 7 years WITCHROT will be taking an extended hiatus. I however will continue the band in another space and time... Thanks for the support, stay heavy. Also our drummer died...

RIP DIAMHEA

Cobweb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:23 pm 

Autopsy side projects.... abcess, the ravenous and doomed

Cobweb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:25 pm 

Revenge conqueror side project... death worship

Cobweb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:26 pm 

Ex destroyer 666 side project.. razor of occam

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:43 pm 

Chaosmonger wrote:
does Summoning > Abigor count?

No. Those are two different bands from the same scene that shared one member.

Endarkening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:17 am 

For me, I much prefer the music of Niden Div. 187 to Dawn. I suspect I'm in the minority though.

Also, I love the music on Embedded by Meathook Seed more than anything Napalm Death ever released.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:34 am 

Just thought about James Murphy, and his band Disincarnate, who are absolutely amazing, but I feel the average metal fan would recognize his stints in Death, Obituary, or Testament. Hell, even Cancer could be more well known than Disincarnate, but I don't know.

Incantation evolving out of Revenant is another example. Mcentee is certainly more known for Incantation than Revenant (or Tribe of Pazuzu, for that matter).

Another in the vein of people leaving bands and forming a more popular one, how about Immortal and Burzum developing out of Old Funeral.

Perhaps.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:16 pm 

For a while, it seemed like Gruesome was far more active than Exhumed.

Speaking of Exhumed, the opposite of this topic's discussion applies here, since Dekapitator hasn't had any attention given to it in years since Exhumed (and later Gruesome) put more people in venues.

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:24 pm 

GOOFAM wrote:
The textbook example is the whole Savatage/TSO thing.

Absolutely. That is the first one that popped into my head. Though TSO has definitely taken on a life of its own at this point.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:33 pm 

Thy Shrine wrote:
Just thought about James Murphy, and his band Disincarnate, who are absolutely amazing, but I feel the average metal fan would recognize his stints in Death, Obituary, or Testament. Hell, even Cancer could be more well known than Disincarnate, but I don't know.

I'm confused...I mean, those bands are all bigger , and all have more than one album :lol:, so of course they're going to be more recognized. I mean, he literally broke up Disincarnate to join Testament so it's not a side band/main project thing. It's just a matter of Murphy being known more for his solos than his writing chops.

Cobweb wrote:
Autopsy side projects.... abcess, the ravenous and doomed

Those were successor bands, but they didn't overshadow Autopsy.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:00 pm 

SkullFracturingNightmare wrote:
For a while, it seemed like Gruesome was far more active than Exhumed.

Speaking of Exhumed, the opposite of this topic's discussion applies here, since Dekapitator hasn't had any attention given to it in years since Exhumed (and later Gruesome) put more people in venues.

Dekapitator was never intended to be Matt Harvey's main gig, and the biggest reason for their prolonged inactivity was Matt refusing to do it without Col Jones and Col simply not having the time for it.

To contribute, Fueled by Fire was a lame Exodus clone and generally forgettable pizza thrash act that got fifteen minutes of fame from the retro-thrash boom before people realized that they (and most of their peers) were shit and they lost whatever "hype" they had had. They managed to become somewhat more respectable when they got Chris Monroy and moved in more of a death/thrash direction and released two albums with him that were pretty decent, but outside of the Thrash Unlimited boards, people just didn't give a shit. Chris started Skeletal Remains as a side project that I'm sure he thought would never go beyond house and skatepark parties, local showcases, and the occasional opening slot, but they somehow gained a bunch of underground hype that turned into real, meaningful mainstream hype and overall are taking off in a way that Fueled by Fire never did.

D4nzig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:29 pm 

Trans Siberian Orchestra of course.

This project was initially created to push Savatage's sing Sarajevo 12/24 to the radio because nobody wanted to play Savatage and other "80's" bands and it was such huge success that TSO pretty much swallowed Savatage alive and at this point there is no hope that Savatage will ever be back on stage. RIP SAVATAGE

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:15 pm 

Frank Booth wrote:
To contribute, Fueled by Fire was a lame Exodus clone and generally forgettable pizza thrash act that got fifteen minutes of fame from the retro-thrash boom before people realized that they (and most of their peers) were shit and they lost whatever "hype" they had had. They managed to become somewhat more respectable when they got Chris Monroy and moved in more of a death/thrash direction and released two albums with him that were pretty decent, but outside of the Thrash Unlimited boards, people just didn't give a shit. Chris started Skeletal Remains as a side project that I'm sure he thought would never go beyond house and skatepark parties, local showcases, and the occasional opening slot, but they somehow gained a bunch of underground hype that turned into real, meaningful mainstream hype and overall are taking off in a way that Fueled by Fire never did.

Actually, you explained it yourself quite well. It basically boils down to FBF plays thrash and Skeletal Remains plays death metal. Both bands are pretty much equally good at what they do, but people like Skeletal Remains a lot more than FBF because they like death metal more than they like thrash. I will concede that the first FBF had the sillier vibe that would turn people off, but any serious thrash fan would check out their second or third record and see how they turned it around.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next