Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:10 pm 

I was HUGE into Motorhead when I first started to listen to their albums. Now, I just don't feel that energy that I had when I listened to them in the past. What are some bands that you disliked after the first listen?

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:32 am 

First thing I can think of was that the Beherit reunion album got me really hyped when it first came out, really awesome to hear them return to doing what they do. It just quickly turned out it's a very boring album.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:23 am 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
I was HUGE into Motorhead when I first started to listen to their albums. Now, I just don't feel that energy that I had when I listened to them in the past. What are some bands that you disliked after the first listen?

Whats the matter with you? Don't feel the energy... WTF. Go get a bottle of whiskey and put on "Overkill" and think about what you've just written. Bad Conqueror!

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:55 am 

Kvist, a semi-obscure 2nd wave Norwegian black metal band. Their only album was very melodic black metal with synth, but an approach that set them apart from Gehenna, Dimmu Borgir, Satyricon, Ancient etc. Very audible bass, for example! I was absolutely spellbound the first time I listen to it, but subsequent listens revealed just how boring and derivative it really was.

Classy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:35 am 

This used to happen to me fairly often before I quit drinking. I would be all loaded up, hear an album for the first time and think it was the best thing ever. A week or so later when the physical copy I barely remembered ordering arrived, I would have a listen and ask myself what in the hell was I thinking. One of the most notable of those purchases were two albums by Skinlab.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:20 am 

When I first heard Type O Negative's discography, I liked almost all albums and even planned on buying them. Then I put them in my cellphone and when I listened to them again I changed my mind.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:58 am 

When I first heard Grave's Soulless I liked the punchy production (massive drum sound to boot) and especially the vocals. Very decipherable lyrics and an angry attitude-filled growl. It also sounded real catchy and fresh.

The next time I played it I realized just how sluggish it was compared to their first two albums, and I missed the speed and the gutterals. It wound up sounding like lunk-headed thug metal to me. I haven't played it in ages; I wonder if it still comes across as stupid as I remember it being.

Myrkrarfar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:58 pm 

raumr wrote:
Kvist, a semi-obscure 2nd wave Norwegian black metal band. Their only album was very melodic black metal with synth, but an approach that set them apart from Gehenna, Dimmu Borgir, Satyricon, Ancient etc. Very audible bass, for example! I was absolutely spellbound the first time I listen to it, but subsequent listens revealed just how boring and derivative it really was.

That's interesting, as my first impression was that only the first track was good. Now I love every track. It's not one of the best Norwegian BM albums, but definitely in the 2nd tier.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:02 pm 

Never had that happen.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:11 pm 

It happens to me sometimes, but I am aware that it happens so I've long since learned to compensate. In order to qualify for my purchase list, an album must be rated rather high. Average or pretty good won't make the cut. I enjoy my purchases for years, even if my tastes change.

Star-wise, since I rate things using iTunes, it works out to about half the album containing 3-star tracks ("good"), and the other tracks rating 4 or 5 stars ("very good" or "awesome"). If I were to write a review, I would give these minimum qualifiers 75%.

Recent listens:

Aborted, TerrorVision - 85%. Almost all 4-star tracks. On the list.
Barren Earth, A Complex of Cages - 68%. A good album. But that means 3 stars. Not good enough.
Judas Priest Firepower - 75%. Just barely didn't make the cut. Suffers from length. There were five 4-star tracks, which is almost always good enough for me, but in this case it's 5 on a 14 track album. I'm not spending money on an album that's only a third "very good".
Kalmah, Palo - 81%. Seven 4-star tracks out of ten. On the list.

emperorjvl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:37 pm 

Liquid_Braino wrote:
When I first heard Grave's Soulless I liked the punchy production (massive drum sound to boot) and especially the vocals. Very decipherable lyrics and an angry attitude-filled growl. It also sounded real catchy and fresh.

The next time I played it I realized just how sluggish it was compared to their first two albums, and I missed the speed and the gutterals. It wound up sounding like lunk-headed thug metal to me. I haven't played it in ages; I wonder if it still comes across as stupid as I remember it being.

Soulless was one of my favorite albums when it came out. I do not disagree with your assessment of it, but I still love it. Songwriting was a lot stronger on this one - although slower and simpler, all songs are very distinctive, while maintaining a cohesive atmosphere.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:00 pm 

First thing that came to my mind was the most recent example of this, which was that Depths Above album from last year. Liked it on first listen, went for a revisit shortly after and it fell totally flat.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:19 pm 

Classy wrote:
This used to happen to me fairly often before I quit drinking. I would be all loaded up, hear an album for the first time and think it was the best thing ever. A week or so later when the physical copy I barely remembered ordering arrived, I would have a listen and ask myself what in the hell was I thinking. One of the most notable of those purchases were two albums by Skinlab.

Had a laugh at this. Ordering online can be dangerous when you are loaded.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:28 am 

GTog wrote:
It happens to me sometimes, but I am aware that it happens so I've long since learned to compensate. In order to qualify for my purchase list, an album must be rated rather high. Average or pretty good won't make the cut. I enjoy my purchases for years, even if my tastes change.

Star-wise, since I rate things using iTunes, it works out to about half the album containing 3-star tracks ("good"), and the other tracks rating 4 or 5 stars ("very good" or "awesome"). If I were to write a review, I would give these minimum qualifiers 75%.

Recent listens:

Aborted, TerrorVision - 85%. Almost all 4-star tracks. On the list.
Barren Earth, A Complex of Cages - 68%. A good album. But that means 3 stars. Not good enough.
Judas Priest Firepower - 75%. Just barely didn't make the cut. Suffers from length. There were five 4-star tracks, which is almost always good enough for me, but in this case it's 5 on a 14 track album. I'm not spending money on an album that's only a third "very good".
Kalmah, Palo - 81%. Seven 4-star tracks out of ten. On the list.

Lol, I have no idea how you keep up with that. I used to do that in high school 9 years ago, but stopped because there no way I was paying enough attention to each song specifically to give it its own rating. I found I was giving blanket ratings to all songs on an album, so I just started rating albums by themselves. The one main exception is bonus tracks/b-sides, because they often don't fit with the rest of the album. Also, I have a filter on my music player on computer where 3* and lower songs won't be synced to my phone.

GOOFAM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:43 pm 

I really liked Dream Theater's The Astonishing on first listen, but then it just didn't work, because almost all of the songs only work in the context of the whole two-hour-long thing, because it's so story-focused. Ultimately I think it's still a lot better than most on here give it credit for, but I still can't really get anything out of it. It's almost more like watching a movie than listening to an album, in the sense that I was like "Well, that was really good, but I don't need to see it again."

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:28 pm 

GOOFAM wrote:
I really liked Dream Theater's The Astonishing on first listen, but then it just didn't work, because almost all of the songs only work in the context of the whole two-hour-long thing, because it's so story-focused. Ultimately I think it's still a lot better than most on here give it credit for, but I still can't really get anything out of it. It's almost more like watching a movie than listening to an album, in the sense that I was like "Well, that was really good, but I don't need to see it again."

This theme, but for Cradle of Filth. As a teenager, I really really enjoyed sitting down for the first time with the booklet and reading the lyrics and ogling the artwork for stuff like Damnation and a Day and Nymphetamine. Those two turned out to be pretty turdy in the long run, but I still stand by my first judgment for Midian, which would kick ass without any vocals or lyrics at all.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:41 am 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Never had that happen.

+1.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:23 am 

I think it has to do with the mood you're in when you listen to the record for the first time. Kind of happened to me with Spectral Lore's III. First time it blew my mind, second time wasn't that good. Listened to it a third time and liked it again, turned out I was in the right mood for that sort of black metal and discovered Mare Cognitum. That day was a good day.

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:32 am 

Happened to me with Neutral Milk Hotel's "In The Aeroplane Over the Sea." Understanding how I liked this album at all is way beyond me.

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:35 pm 

This used to happen from time to time when I first started exploring the more extreme subgenres of metal. I heard the Cannibal Holocaust EP by Grotesque almost 15 years ago now, and thought, “Yeah! This is so fuckin’ extreme!!!!” But as my death metal collection expanded I came to realize, that little EP really sucked ass.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:41 pm 

They aren't on the archives, but they get mentioned with metal bands a lot so I will say Zeal & Ardor's latest record. The first time I heard it, it sounded fresh and interesting. After repeat listens I think it's gimmicky as hell. I only checked it out because I'm seeing them with Baroness and Deafheaven.

Discordant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:09 pm 

Classy wrote:

:lol:

I did this with Pagans Mind. I was abit tipsy and stoned and thought I was gonna hear some norwegian BM but was suprised of what I heard. Thought it was really good though so I ordered the 3 albums they had out at the time (at full price). Never liked them after the CDs arrived.
Old-school black/thrash

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:06 pm 

I remember having my mind be absolutely blown when I heard Nightwish's Once. I was pretty blown away from the bombastic orchestrations and thought it was pretty much the most impressive thing ever. It lost some of that luster as I got better versed with symphonic metal in general and realized that their past albums like Oceanborn and Century Child had so much more substance behind them despite being less flashy. I still enjoy Once but I'm definitely not as impressed by it as I was in 2005.

Reply to topic