Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
AngeldeathGreg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:23 pm 

The lack of mentions for Altars, Blessed, and Covenant is pretty egregious to me here.

If this post is meant to be a personal TASTE thing rather than an historical unpacking of influence, then I think there's a lot that can be shared because many bands have made great runs.

However, there are only a few real contenders here IMO.

For death metal, the only answer is Altars through Covenant. The debut of Pete's modern style blast-beat on Altars through the major-label signing on Covenant is untoppable. Suffocation's first 3 albums come in a close 2nd IMO, as they have just as much influence but didn't reach the critical commercial breakthrough that Morbid Angel did.

For thrash.... this is harder. it's either Kill 'em all through Master of Puppets or Hell Awaits through South of Heaven/Reign In Blood through Seasons. I'll buy either one, but I think this goes to Metallica.

For melodic death metal...... i think we have to give it to In Flames for Jester Race through Colony (although I'd really like to include Clayman in this because that holds up - those first 5 In Flames records are impressively consistent and they are not one of my favorite bands).

Black metal..... fuck. I guess the Darkthrone run counts. I wanted to give this to Immortal so badly because of At The Heart of Winter and Sons of Northern Darkness but Damned in Black just isn't at that level.
Death metal --> for fans of Deicide, Morbid Angel, Vader, Luciferion, Centurian, Throneaeon, Hate Eternal, Slayer, old Belphegor, Immortal, Angelcorpse, Diabolic, Krisiun, Defaced Creation, Rebaelliun, Azarath, Insision, Monstrosity, Vital Remains

http://www.myspace.com/angeldeath518

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:36 pm 

Those Morbid Angel albums were mentioned three times by three different people in this thread prior to you posting.
Obliteration

AngeldeathGreg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:44 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
Those Morbid Angel albums were mentioned three times by three different people in this thread prior to you posting.

Nowhere near enough, my friend!

I'd also motion to include Entombed for the first 3. I'm not in love with Wolverine Blues, but I see how it ties in with the first 2 albums. The progression is astonishingly natural.

The Crawl and Stranger Aeon EP's just add to the cause IMO
Death metal --> for fans of Deicide, Morbid Angel, Vader, Luciferion, Centurian, Throneaeon, Hate Eternal, Slayer, old Belphegor, Immortal, Angelcorpse, Diabolic, Krisiun, Defaced Creation, Rebaelliun, Azarath, Insision, Monstrosity, Vital Remains

http://www.myspace.com/angeldeath518

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:35 am 

emperorjvl wrote:
Agalloch - Pale Folklore, The Mantle, Ashes Against the Grain

I'm surprised it took so much time for these to be mentioned. These are AMAZING, influential and extremely well-crafted records. While MotS is also pretty good, these three records, their first three, are absolute classics. There is nothing about these records I'd change. Love them! Agalloch was such an amazing band!

Napalm_Satan wrote:
Darkthrone, of course - A Blaze... to Transilvanian Hunger is about as essential a 3 album run as is possible, for their vast influence (pretty sure the latter spawned ten thousand copycats) and incredible consistency. Perhaps more of an unholy trinity, but hey.

Yes, the most obvious answer is this one. It's essential 2nd wave black metal. And for those who might like one of them less than the others, they are still highly influencial records, very iconic and memorable.

joppek wrote:
i'm gonna go for the super obvious and say black sabbath / paranoid / master of reality - tho' there's really no need to stop at 3 here...

Yeah, I was wondering what to do with bands that kept releasing amazing records after their great run of three albums.

Like with Bolt Thrower! I love basically everything they ever did, but I like what they did with the three subsequent releases that are Realm of Chaos: Slaves to Darkness, Warmaster and The IVth Crusade. All of these records are five stars, in my opinion, and they really established Bolt Thrower as an amazing grind/death and pure mid-pace riff-oriented death metal band with the last of the three. It shows their evolution pretty well and they are all classic records.

BasqueStorm wrote:
(1995) Ulver - Bergtatt - Et Eeventyr i 5 Capitler, (1996) Ulver - Kveldssanger and (1997) Ulver - Nattens Madrigal.

Aaaah true! I was about to forget about this one. I love everything they did after their black metal/neofolk era, but these three records are an amazing trilogy!

Thiestru wrote:
Symphony X, with 'The Divine Wings of Tragedy', 'Twilight in Olympus', and 'V - The New Mythology Suite'. Superb albums. Now that they're active again, I hope they'll release an album as good as these, but I don't expect it.

Yeah, I'm not a big an of Symphony X's work starting with Paradise Lost. Don't get me wrong, the title track is AMAZING, and Set the World on Fire is a high energy rifftastic track, but I rarely ever feel the need to listen to the entire album in one sitting.

These three records you listed, however, are absolute masterpieces. I'm not sure I could pick a trilogy of subsequent records that I love more than the rest from their collection because I like The Odyssey more than Twilight, so that's that for me.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:08 am 

AngeldeathGreg wrote:
I'd also motion to include Entombed for the first 3. I'm not in love with Wolverine Blues, but I see how it ties in with the first 2 albums. The progression is astonishingly natural.

I think the progression continued pretty well into To Ride..., it's not even remotely death metal (basically throw Deep Purple, MC5, and Venom into a blender and you'll get that album) but in my opinion it's way better than Wolverine Blues and also the final good Entombed album.

I saw someone mention My Dying Bride, for me they have multiple "trinities", where the albums all feel connected and show a natural progression. The band's entire discography fits into this with the obvious exception of Turn Loose the Swans, which is a transitional album between the first and second period.

Death-doom (all growling): Symphonaire et Spera Empyrium, Thrash of Naked Limbs, As the Flower Withers
Gothic doom (all singing): The Angel and the Dark River, Like Gods of the Sun, 34.788% Complete
Return to death-doom (growling and singing): The Light at the End of the World, The Dreadful Hours, Songs of Darkness Words of Light
Return to gothic doom (mostly singing, growling used very rarely): A Line of Deathless Kings, For Lies I Sire, A Map of All Our Failures

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:01 am 

Uprising is Entombed's last cool record from what I've heard; it's like Entombed playing Poison Idea and it certainly works better than To Ride.... Wolverine Blues is good, too; it drags a little in places but when it hits, it hits very hard.

Miikja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:42 am 

true_death wrote:
Symphonaire et Spera Empyrium, Thrash of Naked Limbs

Not albums, but okay.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:20 am 

Miikja wrote:
true_death wrote:

Not albums, but okay.

Sure they are, I consider 12" mini-LP's to be albums.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:42 am 

Good choices and it's fun to see how I agree the with some of the picks but would move them one album down the line, like with Sepultura I'd totally include Morbid Visions and exclude the mediocre Arise, same with Carcass, I'd start from the debut and let Heartwork sit outside in the cold.

A few newer mentions, didn't read all the way through so maybe they are there already:

Primordial: The Gathering Wilderness - To the Nameless Dead - Redemption at the Puritan's Hand
An insane trio of albums that falters a tad towards the end but nevertheless boasts as among the very best of the 21st century.

Nagelfar: Hünengrab im Herbst - Srontgorrth - Virus West
That's all the full lengths in the discography and all of impeccable quality.

StarGazer: A Scream That Tore the Sky - A Great Work of Ages - A Merging to the Boundless
The most imaginative, creative death metal around. Scream is among my top 10 dm-albums and its successors aren't far behind.

TafferLad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:45 am 

Powerslave - Somewhere In Time - Seventh Son is probably my favourite trilogy ever
Ecliptica - Silence - Winterheart's Guild is another, i'd add Reckoning Night on there too but those 3 sound more similar to each other, RN is slightly darker and heavier

jdagger
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:16 pm 

Morbid Angel: Altars - Blessed - Covenant
Windir: Arntor - 1184 - Likferd
Moonsorrow: Voimasta ja kunniasta - Kivenkantaja - Verisäkeet
Katatonia: Tonight's Decision - Last Fair Deal Gone Down - Viva Emptiness
Dark Tranquillity: Damage Done - Character - Fiction

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:29 pm 

true_death wrote:
Miikja wrote:
true_death wrote:

Not albums, but okay.

Sure they are, I consider 12" mini-LP's to be albums.

Not to mention, they're better than most of their regular album. Would've included I am the Bloody Earth in there too.

Perhaps.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:56 pm 

New contribution:

Anaal Nathrakh: Eschaton, Hell Is Empty and All the Devils Are Here and In the Constellation of the Black Widow. Insane three album run. Each being a logical follow up to the one before it. Doing this I remember I still really haven’t heard Domine Non Es Dignus and if I like that one it’s an insane output from The Codex Necro to In the Constellation of the Black Widow (five albums).

Agreed on bands from posts above but different albums:

Morbid Angel: Blessed are the Sick, Covenant and Domination. I much prefer Domination over Altars since I find the latter to be to thrashy for my taste. Domination is larger and has that quite unique sound Morbid Angel started to get into on Covenant.

Megadeth: the band that perhaps influenced me the most so I’m a fan-boy. Take that for what it is (highly subjective and quite probably me having a little tiny bit of tunnel vision here). I think the stretch from Peace Sells... but Who's Buying? through So Far, So Good... So What!, Rust in Peace, Countdown to Extinction and ending with Youthanasia is unmatched really. Five albums, all amazing, and all quite different from each other. Amazing!

But I would also nominate, more surprising to many I think, The World Needs a Hero, The System Has Failed and United Abominations. Systems is the clear favourite here. Just solid all the way through. United Abominations went on a slightly more melodic route and includes lots of spoken word and such and I really love that. But of course the real high odds maker is The World Needs a Hero. Despised by many, and an album that for a long time didn’t do much for me. But its Mustaines break-up album and when I went though a tough time is just started to click with me. Love the soundscape on this one. Quite airy and unique in the discography.

Bending the rules:

Mayhem: De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas, Wolfs Lair Abyss and Grand Declaration of War. One of my favourite black metal bands and this output is insane and also very varied in style and feel. The first being aggressive but also quite haunting in its soundscape. The second (bending the rules being an EP) is super aggressive and the third very experimental.

Agreed on from posts above:

Nile: Black Seeds Of Vengeance, In Their Darkened Shrines and Annihilation Of The Wicked. Super strong output and some of the best death metal ever in my opinion.

Cradle of Filth: Dusk...And her Embrace, Cruelty and the Beast and Midian. The two first I love. Atmosphere, memorable hooks and riffs and just top notch albums. Midian is a step down, still very strong material but somewhat less as a whole.

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:
StarGazer: A Scream That Tore the Sky - A Great Work of Ages - A Merging to the Boundless
The most imaginative, creative death metal around. Scream is among my top 10 dm-albums and its successors aren't far behind.

I love A Great Work of Ages and A Merging to the Boundless. Best and most unique extreme metal I've heard in a good while. If A Scream That Tore the Sky is anywhere near the other two it is indeed an amazing trilogy!
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:42 pm 

InnesI wrote:
Cradle of Filth: Dusk...And her Embrace, Cruelty and the Beast and Midian. The two first I love. Atmosphere, memorable hooks and riffs and just top notch albums. Midian is a step down, still very strong material but somewhat less as a whole.

If I had to have a Cradle of Filth trilogy, I would have switched Midian with the Vempire EP. I know Midian is well-liked, but to me it was a massive step down from the classics of Dusk and Cruelty. Vempire (especially Queen of Winter, Throned and The Rape and Ruin of Angels) represent the band at their most evil, brutal, technical and bombastic.

I think Subrick said in his review for Vempire that it was what carpet bombing Heaven sounds like! :P

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:54 pm 

InnesI wrote:

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:

I love A Great Work of Ages and A Merging to the Boundless. Best and most unique extreme metal I've heard in a good while. If A Scream That Tore the Sky is anywhere near the other two it is indeed an amazing trilogy!

Dude, get on it. It's awesome.

GOOFAM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:19 pm 

Some power metal stuff:

At Vance - Heart of Steel, Dragonchaser, and Only Human. The whole Hartmann era of the band is just consistently amazing.
Symphony X - The Damnation Game, The Divine Wings of Tragedy, and Twilight in Olympus
Delta - Crashbreaker, Deny Humanity, and The End of Philosophy, although the middle of the three is definitely a slightly weak link.

There are so many bands in the Dream Theater vein that have like six or seven great albums, but they're never really consecutive. Royal Hunt is another one, and Nevermore has the same kind of back and forth, though I do second the Dead Heart-TGE stretch being particularly strong.

Hellbeast11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:41 pm 

3 x 3 albums / 3 years
Runemagick: The Supreme Force of Eternity - Enter the Realm of Death - Resurrection in Blood
1349: Liberation - Beyond the Apocalypse - Hellfire
Kataklysm: The Prophecy (Stigmata of the Immaculate) - Epic (The Poetry of War) - Shadows & Dust I know some on this board prefer their old wicked material, but these three albums made them popular in Europe.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:32 am 

raumr wrote:
InnesI wrote:

If I had to have a Cradle of Filth trilogy, I would have switched Midian with the Vempire EP. I know Midian is well-liked, but to me it was a massive step down from the classics of Dusk and Cruelty. Vempire (especially Queen of Winter, Throned and The Rape and Ruin of Angels) represent the band at their most evil, brutal, technical and bombastic.

I think Subrick said in his review for Vempire that it was what carpet bombing Heaven sounds like! :P

I was torn between the two (Vempire/Midian).

Simply, Vempire was an EP, and had re-recordings, and Midian was a full album of new songs.

If CoF manage to follow up Cryptoriana with another quality release though...

Marken
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:16 am 

Metal Church: Blessing In Disguise, The Human Factor, Hanging In the Balance
Dark Tranquillity: Haven, Damage Done, Character
Iron Maiden: Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Somewhere In Time

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:10 am 

Hellbeast11 wrote:
Kataklysm: The Prophecy (Stigmata of the Immaculate) - Epic (The Poetry of War) - Shadows & Dust I know some on this board prefer their old wicked material, but these three albums made them popular in Europe.

I'd go so far to say that these are the only truly good Kataklysm albums, in my view. They have a few other decent-at-best albums (Temple Of Knowledge, Serenity In Fine and In The Arms Of Devastation), but I feel the rest is utterly forgettable* and these three are the only essential Kataklysm albums.

*The last five albums define "forgettable" to me-absolutely interchangeable, in one ear and out the other, paint by numbers, prefabricated death metal. It astounds me that this band can coast on the reputation of the earlier albums and simply churn out "product" for as long as they have. It's even more shocking to me that this band has thirteen(!!!) albums.
Obliteration

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:46 am 

I would agree with Darkthrone but Panzerfaust is a great and underrated album that deserves to be part of their classic run.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:48 pm 

I've gotta second everyone who mentioned Judas Priest's S-Trilogy and the Nuns/Melissa/Oath run by Mercyful Fate. To me, these are basically the pinnacle of heavy metal music.

Honorable (AS FUCK) mentions:

Liege Lord's entire career (Freedom's Rise, Burn to My Touch, Master Control) -- Perfect USPM. Muscular, weird, atmospheric.

Brocas Helm's entire career (Into Battle, Black Death, Defenders of the Crown) -- Perfect speed/heavy metal from these fucking scumbags. I think Acrobat said it best when he described them as "deadbeat dad metal".

Manilla Road, shockingly, with 2 in a row (Invasion, Metal, Crystal Logic -- Open the Gates, The Deluge, Mystification) -- The absolute kings of dungeon-crawling heavy metal. Questing metal. Something to grab your sword and shield to. These albums are life-affirming.

Discordant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:59 pm 

Bathory - UTSOTBM, BFD & Hammerheart (but any combination of 3 from their first 6 wouldn't be wrong)
Old-school black/thrash

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:08 pm 

Another strong contender for sheer musical ingeniousness: Heart of the ages - Omnio - Strange in stereo. Beautiful and immersive.
I still feel betrayed by both post-reunion albums.

Leader_OCola
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:38 pm 

mid career the Chasm
first 3 Root albums
first 3 DSO albums
Sabbat 4th through 6th albums
first 3 Barathrum albums
Countess - Revenge- Shining Swords
Sadus- Illusions through Vision
Impaled Nazarene - first 3 albums
Agatus- first 3 albums (amazing run across styles)

ClicheUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:33 pm 

Sinister's first three: Cross the Styx/Diabolical Summoning/Hate - Classic dutch DM, all three of them are in my top 15 favorite death metal albums, killer stuff.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:40 pm 

Leader_OCola wrote:
mid career the Chasm
first 3 Root albums
first 3 DSO albums
Sabbat 4th through 6th albums
first 3 Barathrum albums
Countess - Revenge- Shining Swords
Sadus- Illusions through Vision
Impaled Nazarene - first 3 albums
Agatus- first 3 albums (amazing run across styles)

Clearly a person of substance and character. Feel like I'm reading a NEP order list.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:53 pm 

I see a disturbing lack of Omen - Battle Cry, Warning of Danger, The Curse in this thread. Absolutely amazing run, JD Kimball was godly.
I'd also add Holocaust - Hypnosis of Birds, Covenant, The Courage to Be. The first two of those are some of my favorite albums of all time, but The Courage to Be is still excellent, their prog phase is still woefully under-appreciated, I think.
Satan's first three albums; Court in the Act, Suspended Sentence, and Life Sentence are all excellent, and the 20+ year gap between the latter two is really barely noticeable aside from production value, sounds very similar to Court. Such a consistent band.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:21 am 

ClicheUsername wrote:
Sinister's first three: Cross the Styx/Diabolical Summoning/Hate - Classic dutch DM, all three of them are in my top 15 favorite death metal albums, killer stuff.

Yes! Early Sinister is among my favorite European death metal, especially D.S., which is a classic in my book. They're a great example of "back when there were dynamics in songwriting and playing".

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:14 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
Satan's first three albums; Court in the Act, Suspended Sentence, and Life Sentence are all excellent, and the 20+ year gap between the latter two is really barely noticeable aside from production value, sounds very similar to Court. Such a consistent band.

Life Sentence, Atom by Atom, and Cruel Magic might as well be a trilogy in themselves with how much momentum they've managed to sustain.

Savatage has another fascinating trilogy in Sirens, The Dungeons are Calling, and Power of the Night. Sure, TDAC is an EP but the songs are too good not to count it.

amelanchier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:55 am 

Rodman wrote:
I'm interested in hearing the Archives' thoughts on some of the best 3-album runs in metal history.

Allow me to open proceedings with the nomination of Blind Guardian - Tales from the Twilight World/Somewhere Far Beyond/Imaginations from the Other Side.

These 3 albums saw Blind Guardian at the absolute peak of their powers. While the first two albums were undeniably great slabs of speed metal, they nevertheless contained moments of tedium that inspired you to worship at the altar of the man who invented the CD player. However, the masterful songwriting of the Tales...Beyond...Imaginations era resulted in albums full of density and ambition, whilst at the same time never crossing the rubicon of pompous wank that has plagued much of their post-Night at the Opera material. Moreover, Hansi's voice still soared like an eagle and Andre was still making his instrument sing like no guitarist I've ever heard. This was a revolutionary band producing the best music of their career, and few if any metal bands would ever match such brilliance.

Looking forward to the recs.

Neat topic and a great nomination, although I would actually go Somewhere/Imaginations/Nightfall as their peak. A couple of others...

Primordial - _Storm Before Calm_; _The Gathering Wilderness_; _To the Nameless Dead_
The creative peak of one of the most consistently interesting metal bands of the last 20 years. _SBC_ might be their most "Celtic" albums; the chilly, atmospheric closer set to Keats lyrics is one of the most interesting things they've done. _TGW_ and _TND_ are just monstrous classics of epic metal, chock full of nuggets of guitar goodness, powerful drumming, and brilliant use of tempo changes.

Dark Tranquillity - _Of Chaos and Eternal Night_ EP; _The Gallery_; _The Mind's I_
The most complex of the 90s Gothenburger bands really cut their teeth with this incredible run of albums. In fact, they remained incredibly consistent over the next decade as well. _Projector_ and _Haven_ were really creative albums despite (or because of) throwing some fans for a loop with the new wave elements, and then they updated their early sound nicely on _Damage Done_ and _Character_.

I'll have to think about some more nominations. Iron Maiden is an obvious one. Hell, their first 7 albums are all quality.

amelanchier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:14 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
Symphony X, with 'The Divine Wings of Tragedy', 'Twilight in Olympus', and 'V - The New Mythology Suite'. Superb albums. Now that they're active again, I hope they'll release an album as good as these, but I don't expect it.

Katatonia, with 'Discouraged Ones', 'Tonight's Decision', and 'Last Fair Deal Gone Down'. If I can be allowed a fourth, I'll add 'Viva Emptiness' to this list. Katatonia's middle period was fantastic.

Good call on SX. With Katatonia, I'd go Dance of December Souls/Brave Murder Day/Discouraged Ones. The only post-Discouraged Katatonia album I spin with any regularity at all is _Last Fair Deal Gone Down_. No accounting for taste!

amelanchier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:18 pm 

Opus wrote:
Angra - Rebirth, Temple of Shadows, Aurora Consurgens

WRONG WRONG WRONG blasphemously wrong ;)

The correct Angra trilogy is Angels Cry/Holy Land/Fireworks, and it is definitely one of the greatest of all time.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:25 pm 

Slayer - Hell Awaits, Reign in Blood, South of Heaven - first album is great but strays from the dark mood I look for in Slayer.
Nuclear Death - Bride of Insect, Carrion for Worm, All Creatures Great and Eaten - perfect run of perfect albums.
Order From Chaos - Stillbirth Machine, Dawn Bringer, An Ending in Fire - okay that's actually just their three albums.

Non-metal on Metal-Archives: Puissance - Back in Control, Mother of Disease, Total Cleansing - debut had too many parts with nothing happening, State Collapse turned all weird pop-music-ish.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:27 pm 

DecemberSoul wrote:
D4nzig wrote:
Bathory - Blood Fire Death - Twilight of the Gods

I gathered the OP meant consecutive works, but I'll help you out here:

The first holy trinity by Bathory consist of albums 1-3, the second of albums 4-6.

Right or right?

There are three consecutive albums spanning Blood Fire Death to Twilight.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:38 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Order From Chaos - Stillbirth Machine, Dawn Bringer, An Ending in Fire - okay that's actually just their three albums.

Wow, I'm ashamed I didn't think of this. One of my favorite bands ever. Another entry in the "perfect career" catalogue. I'd love to read your thoughts on them in more detail, I guess I need to see if you wrote any reviews. I've never heard ANYTHING that sounds like Order from Chaos. It sounds like death metal if death metal meant something completely different. They sound like their only outside influences are Voivod, Venom, and punk music. The rest they just came up with in a complete vacuum.

Masterful band.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:40 pm 

While I wouldn't say these are the top 3 metal albums EVERRRRRR, I'll definitely say it's the best 3 album run by this band.

GWAR - War Party, Beyond Hell, Lust in Space
If you sit down and go through the tracks, you'll find the band's overall strongest songs and their best "concept" album to date. I may be swayed with a good argument about the first three LPs, or maybe tossing out Lust in favor of starting at Violence Has Arrived (because "Battle Lust" and "Immortal Corrupter" are great), but holy shit there are some quality riffs and some great comedic performances by Brockie.

Otherwise, throw me in with Slayer, but I'll go Reign to Seasons. Show No Mercy is the weakest of their 80s output (fight me) and Hell Awaits struggles from poor production and diminishing returns as the album goes on. Say what you will about the middle chunk of Reign or the uneven tracks on South and Seasons, but each album starts and ends with absolute classics.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:41 pm 

amelanchier wrote:
Thiestru wrote:

Katatonia, with 'Discouraged Ones', 'Tonight's Decision', and 'Last Fair Deal Gone Down'. If I can be allowed a fourth, I'll add 'Viva Emptiness' to this list. Katatonia's middle period was fantastic.

Good call on SX. With Katatonia, I'd go Dance of December Souls/Brave Murder Day/Discouraged Ones. The only post-Discouraged Katatonia album I spin with any regularity at all is _Last Fair Deal Gone Down_. No accounting for taste!

I'd also pick those three Katatonia albums. They were absolutely amazing from 1992 to 2003.

Similarly, Blind Guardian has about 45 incredible 3-album streaks, which is all the more impressive since they haven't released that many records.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:49 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Wow, I'm ashamed I didn't think of this. One of my favorite bands ever. Another entry in the "perfect career" catalogue. I'd love to read your thoughts on them in more detail, I guess I need to see if you wrote any reviews. I've never heard ANYTHING that sounds like Order from Chaos. It sounds like death metal if death metal meant something completely different. They sound like their only outside influences are Voivod, Venom, and punk music. The rest they just came up with in a complete vacuum.

Masterful band.

I have my "holy trinity" of perfect bands, Nuclear Death, Order From Chaos and Prophecy of Doom, I get a similar feel from them but musically, yeah the other two are very different.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:27 pm 

Hellbeast11 wrote:
Runemagick: The Supreme Force of Eternity - Enter the Realm of Death - Resurrection in Blood

Resurrection in Blood ruins it for me. That's my general problem I have when thinking about this stuff: some bands would release two great ones, then one okay-ish/shit-ish and then another great one (See Fates Warning: The Spectre Within and Awaken the Guardian are great. No Exit is not but Perfect Symmetry is.

I'd go with Septic Flesh's first three, Sepultura's 85-87 stuff; I know Beneath the Remains is praised and all that, but to me it's more of an album full of great riffs than great songs. I'd also pick Virgin Steele's 95-99 stuff. Marriage I is great, but I prefer the three that followed.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next