Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:42 am 

Well they're back with some more...

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/I ... led/757010

And a new song, too:

Got to say this is sounding pretty good and much better than their terrible last album. Hoping it's not one of the only good songs like the single from the last album was. Sweet guitar tone and Piet sounds nice and mean.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:38 pm 

Sounds great! I never thought the last album was bad persay, but man was it boring. Rise of the Hero and The Landing, even the not so good songs, were memorable, but honestly I could barely remember Titancraft, except maybe Way of the Blade.
Starlight is still one of the greatest songs they've made.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:16 pm 

All I thunk of when I hear of this band now is the main man's Facebook meltdowns.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:28 pm 

ChildClownOutlet wrote:
Sounds great! I never thought the last album was bad persay, but man was it boring. Rise of the Hero and The Landing, even the not so good songs, were memorable, but honestly I could barely remember Titancraft, except maybe Way of the Blade.
Starlight is still one of the greatest songs they've made.

Yep, Titancraft was kinda lame. It had a few tracks, but "Way of the Blade" was the only song on the level of Rise of the Hero and The Landing. Hopefully this one is back to that standard.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:26 pm 

Hey, are Iron Savior actually good again? I'm actually really digging this. It's nothing new per se, but it's compelling.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:50 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
Hey, are Iron Savior actually good again? I'm actually really digging this. It's nothing new per se, but it's compelling.

It's easily my favorite thing I've heard from them since Battering Ram, though I didn't hear Rise of the Hero.

emperorjvl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:22 pm 

Unification was so awesome I really haven't been able to sit through any of the subsequent releases. It all sounds disappointing in comparison. This one is good but not Unification level.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:49 pm 

Sounds a bit dull, but maybe it'll grow on me.

The guy's a sorcerer when it comes to guitar tones - he has a sound that's entirely his own, and he does it all with very cheap equipment. Did you know he engineered all those classic Blind Guardian albums?

Quote:
All I thunk of when I hear of this band now is the main man's Facebook meltdowns.

I wish he'd stop shilly-shallying around and tell us what he thinks of Donald Trump. Does he like the man or not?

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:59 pm 

MawBTS wrote:
Sounds a bit dull, but maybe it'll grow on me.

The guy's a sorcerer when it comes to guitar tones - he has a sound that's entirely his own, and he does it all with very cheap equipment. Did you know he engineered all those classic Blind Guardian albums?

Quote:

I wish he'd stop shilly-shallying around and tell us what he thinks of Donald Trump. Does he like the man or not?

It's actually kind of surprising he did, because they don't have that signature Sielck sound. There's a way he mics his amps which is very unique to him; you can tell he engineered an album immediately just by the tone. It's become some bands signature sounds; I know Paragon sound weird without that big, wide tone.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:59 am 

To be honest I don't know what "engineering" means. Maybe he was just the guy running mic leads across the floor.

His sound is pretty endemic to German power metal: scooped out, but distorting in a weird, special place that makes it punch through in the mix. Emp once described it as liquid metal sliding off the Terminator. Here's a good example of it.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:14 pm 

Were the last few Iron Savior releases really that bad? Titancraft was weaker, but still enjoyable. I liked Rise of the Hero too, and The Landing is pretty much on the same level. No Unification, sure, but I like them plenty. I don't believe Iron Savior has ever released a bad album - not counting Riding on Fire.

New song is really cool, as expected. Piet sounds awesome, as usual. He's one of my favorite vocalists. Definitely spinning this one when it comes out.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:23 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
Were the last few Iron Savior releases really that bad? Titancraft was weaker, but still enjoyable. I liked Rise of the Hero too, and The Landing is pretty much on the same level. No Unification, sure, but I like them plenty. I don't believe Iron Savior has ever released a bad album - not counting Riding on Fire.

New song is really cool, as expected. Piet sounds awesome, as usual. He's one of my favorite vocalists. Definitely spinning this one when it comes out.

I thought Titancraft was super weak and didn't like most of the songs... it's not like St. Anger or anything obviously, but that along with the new Kamelot were really uninspired works from usually-great bands and I graded them accordingly for my tastes.

Incidentally I thought that Riding on Fire re-recording comp sounded amazing.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:26 pm 

Yeah, Titancraft wasn't necessarily bad but it felt uninspired in a lot of places. Piet really felt like he was phoning it in on a couple tracks.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:30 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
GuntherTheUndying wrote:

I thought Titancraft was super weak and didn't like most of the songs... it's not like St. Anger or anything obviously, but that along with the new Kamelot were really uninspired works from usually-great bands and I graded them accordingly for my tastes.

That's fair. Although I think Titancraft has some great songs sandwiched between lesser tunes, that I admit. For instance, Strike Down The Tyranny is fantastic, but stuck among weaker tracks.

Really awesome band, though. It's amazing how Iron Savior still manages to be underrated at this point.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:48 am 

Iron Savior mostly never impressed me that much, but if the rest of this album is anywhere near as good as this song, it'll be AOTY material for sure. The way everything comes together during the chorus is just magical.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:48 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
GuntherTheUndying wrote:

That's fair. Although I think Titancraft has some great songs sandwiched between lesser tunes, that I admit. For instance, Strike Down The Tyranny is fantastic, but stuck among weaker tracks.

Really awesome band, though. It's amazing how Iron Savior still manages to be underrated at this point.

Honestly, while I love Iron Savior's first three albums, I really don't care much for anything they did after that. It all has Big Chorus Syndrome, and the songs don't pull me in.

This, however, kills. It really does. It has so much energy and drive and vision to it, even if it's not breaking new ground.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:57 pm 

I never get this thing about big chorus syndrome - I guess it's just a taste preference, but personally I don't see any difference in actual songwriting quality between albums that get critiqued that way and ones that those people enjoy. Not all the time anyway.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:17 pm 

I wish he had stayed in Savage Circus had they not broken up. That second album is fucking sick.

Rosenthorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:18 am 

Honestly, I don't see what's so incredible about this new song. It's good, definitely, but nothing jaw-dropping. It's essentially equivalent to one of the better songs on any given album they've previously released. Titancraft *was* a dip in quality, but not a big one, imo. I imagine this new album will be more of the same Iron Savior.

Obey the dolphin!

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:52 pm 

This is the first Iron Savior album I've looked forward to for a long time and I've very happy about that.

And Big Chorus Syndrome? Iron Savior has always had massive choruses. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the term. Who doesn't like a big, catchy power metal chorus?

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:55 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
This is the first Iron Savior album I've looked forward to for a long time and I've very happy about that.

And Big Chorus Syndrome? Iron Savior has always had massive choruses. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the term. Who doesn't like a big, catchy power metal chorus?

Big choruses are fine when the riffs don't vanish under them and the rest of the song still delivers.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:04 pm 

I'd argue that it depends on how big of a chorus we are talking about. :lol: but in all seriousness, yes I agree.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:32 am 

Another new song

Not quite as good as the previous song, but still pretty damn solid. I especially like the melodic backing vocals. So far shaping up to be a noticeable step over Titancraft.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:17 am 

Solid vocally, but that big, groovy riff with the squealing guitar over top is glorious.

Rosenthorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:23 pm 

New song!

Personally, I think this is the best of the three they've released so far. It checks all the boxes for an Iron Savior song.

Obey the dolphin!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:31 pm 

That was good - the guitars are definitely better and more involved than they have been in a long time for these guys.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:14 pm 

Sadly the three released songs plus a couple other ones are the best songs, the other half of the songs is filler.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:54 pm 

Album leaked for those interested. I'm a little over halfway through and it definitely blows the previous album out of the water.

Rosenthorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:49 am 

New song! This one is a *lot* of fun.

Obey the dolphin!

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:09 pm 

Is it Iron Savior's idea to do these real low-cost videos? This is like the second one just filmed in Piet's car. I suppose I don't mind, but it's odd.

The song is a lot of fun.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:27 pm 

...I don't get it. This album sucks. It sucks donkey dick.

The title track is a killer intro and a monster of a tune...but then the rest of the album is the same tasteless leftover oatmeal that comprised the entirety of Rise of the Hero. It's so bland I feel like I actually can't taste anything anymore. I need to eat something spicy now, just to remember what taste feels like.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:04 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:

The title track is a killer intro and a monster of a tune...but then the rest of the album is the same tasteless leftover oatmeal that comprised the entirety of Rise of the Hero. It's so bland I feel like I actually can't taste anything anymore. I need to eat something spicy now, just to remember what taste feels like.

Rise of the Hero was bad ass so....

That said, I'm not sure what album you are listening to because this album fuckin' smokes. There's some cheese but that's not only to be expected but done with the class that only Piet has. This blows Titancraft out of the water!! This is classic Iron Savior.

Like your reviews?

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:11 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

Rise of the Hero was bad ass so....

That said, I'm not sure what album you are listening to because this album fuckin' smokes. There's some cheese but that's not only to be expected but done with the class that only Piet has. This blows Titancraft out of the water!! This is classic Iron Savior.

Titancraft was way better than Rise of the Hero--it had 3 memorable songs ("Way of the Blade," "Gunsmoke," and "The Sun Won't Rise in Hell") rather than only one ("Burning Heart").

This new album is just super-bland tosh in the key of C major (or A minor, whatever, most fucking boring scale in existence) that makes my eyes glaze over faster than lengthy explanations of how the stock market works.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:16 pm 

Haven't heard the album yet because I don't listen to leaks anymore, but the songs released so far are easily better than anything I've heard from them since Battering Ram. I mean it's all been done before obviously and it isn't gonna be album of the year, but the guitars, production, etc have the meaty, heavy sound I always thought these guys were best at. I don't know or care about scales or technical music terms though so eh.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:17 pm 

What?? "Last Hero," "Revenge of the Bride," "From Far Beyond Time," "Burning Heart," "Thunder from the Mountains," "Iron Warrior." So many great songs. on that album. Titancraft was the only proper album by this band that, I feel, did not live up to their classics. This new album redeems them.

Like your reviews?

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:19 pm 

There is literally nothing more important to me in music than the key signature. Everything else is secondary. No flats, no sharps, no buys.

Sestren
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:43 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
There is literally nothing more important to me in music than the key signature. Everything else is secondary. No flats, no sharps, no buys.

I wouldn't trust anything said from someone who watches anime.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:07 pm 

Sestren wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

I wouldn't trust anything said from someone who watches anime.

1982 called...

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:44 pm 

It's an okay album. There's some cool songs here and there, but I think by and large it's just kind of meh for me. The good songs just seem like kinda rehashing their best melodies/riffs which is fine, I can appreciate that, especially from an older band. I think the real big thing for me and iron savior (and their ilk) is just the fact that this kind of german power metal doesn't really do anything for me anymore. Even going back and listening to some of the classics, they aren't nearly as amazing to me now as I used to think they were (obviously with some exceptions for the all time great songs). My biggest thing is that I just don't really care about my power metal being "tough" or "muscular" and riffy anymore, I'm more concerned with immediacy, catchy hooks and cool melodies/harmonies. Besides, when there's stuff like the new Traveler out, I really don't have any reason to listen to this album.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:55 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
My biggest thing is that I just don't really care about my power metal being "tough" or "muscular" and riffy anymore, I'm more concerned with immediacy, catchy hooks and cool melodies/harmonies. Besides, when there's stuff like the new Traveler out, I really don't have any reason to listen to this album.

Indeed. Power metal has come quite a ways from when Iron Savior was the forerunner of the genre.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next