Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:34 am 

John Cyriis have resurrected Agent Steel for some German festivals and a new album. He says they...

"are ready to deliver a speed metal supernova to those who choose to attend this mighty day of metal glory. The new Agent Steel band will deliver a neck-breaking set of quilted gems from the three classic Agent Steel albums as well as a performance bonus of four new songs, hand-picked from the all-new forthcoming Agent Steel album titled '8 Lights Protocol', tentatively scheduled for a September 2019 release on a soon-to-be-announced record label."

Apparently he's the only member so far?

Last edited by Dembo on Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:06 am 

So how long until the Masters of Metal guys file a trademark suit and we end up with two Agent Steels?

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:08 pm 

They changed their name to Masters of Metal because Cyriis owns the Agent Steel name.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:07 pm 

John Cyriis is back?

I want to believe.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:46 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
John Cyriis is back?

I want to believe.

At this point, I really don't. I have infinitely more respect for the Masters of Metal guys.

There's approximately zero chance any recorded music materializes from this, though, so it's moot.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:27 pm 

rawsewage wrote:
They changed their name to Masters of Metal because Cyriis owns the Agent Steel name.

So did the other guys own the name during the Bruce Hall era or did he still own it and just not care what happened to it? I would read the hell out of a tell-all biography about this band.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:36 pm 

he allowed it sort of.

I read an older fb post that stated that Juan is in.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:47 pm 

It would be super fucking cool if this ended up being good.

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:43 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
rawsewage wrote:

So did the other guys own the name during the Bruce Hall era or did he still own it and just not care what happened to it? I would read the hell out of a tell-all biography about this band.

In 98 they just did it. Maybe because Chuck Profus was back in the band and he was half of the founding members they thought it was ok. Cyriis didn't find out until 01 because they changed their name to Order of the Illuminati for a short while that year.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:50 pm 

I used to speak to Bruce Hall a lot through email, starting around the time before "Omega Conspiracy". I think they also briefly were known as "Agents of Steel" or "A.O.S."

Quote:
I have infinitely more respect for the Masters of Metal guys.

No doubt.

Quote:
There's approximately zero chance any recorded music materializes from this, though, so it's moot.

Ha! I share your skepticism, but remember those other half-baked recordings he did like Pontius Prophet? It's possible he recorded some "music" with his guitar, laptop, SM58, and drum machine. What he calls an album may not be what other people think of it as. Or maybe he has really done it this time ... I just wouldn't put any money on it. Even less on it being as good as his first few albums.

I doubt Profus was ever back for anything other than a photo. I bet they used a drum machine on his stuff. Just my own personal conspiracy theory. THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

How is Bernie? What an underrated talent. Maybe Juan joined up because Body Count is inactive and Bernie is not playing at the moment. If so, hard to blame him.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:22 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
How is Bernie? What an underrated talent.

No one really knows. He had that aneurysm a few years back, and no news has come out about how he has recovered. It's kind of worrisome.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:54 pm 

rawsewage wrote:
This.
Zodijackyl wrote:
John Cyriis is back? I want to believe.
Again, I had already mentioned it in the modchat and was outright ignored.
Oblarg wrote:
Well... Seems to be the tendency... I hope this time it changes.
Twisted_Psychology wrote:
So did the other guys own the name during the Bruce Hall era or did he still own it and just not care what happened to it?
Long story short... The original plan was that they would be reforming with the Unstoppable Force lineup. Chuck and Juan (who played at the moment in Obscene Gesture together and had the idea in the first place) contacted Bernie and Mike, they all agreed to do it, and the band started trying to contact Cyriis for a while, to absolutely no avail. They started auditioning singers, setteld for Bruce Hall who had been playing with Bernie in Sybil some years earlier and started demo-ing. Mike left, he was replaced by Karlos, Omega Conspiracy was released, they toured and all that AND THEN, until 2001 Cyriis found out about the reunion. He pressed them legally for using the name because he owns it since 1983, they changed it to OotI, then they somehow settled, Cyriis gave them his blessings and reverted it to Agent Steel around 2002/2003. So, at first they just decided to use it, and later he gave them permission.
Temple Of Blood wrote:
I think they also briefly were known as "Agents of Steel" or "A.O.S."
They originally went with that name in the reunion demos.
Temple Of Blood wrote:
remember those other half-baked recordings he did like Pontius Prophet?
Half-baked? Seriously? To be self-financed demos from the eighties recorded with five cents, a shoe and a bottle cap they're pretty neat. What were you expecting? "Doctor Feelgood" bombastic production values? Same goes for the Black Reign demo (and for the Stellar Seed demo). They're good demo efforts.
Temple Of Blood wrote:
I doubt Profus was ever back for anything other than a photo. I bet they used a drum machine on his stuff.
Omega Conspiracy has real drums. The four track "Into the Nowhere/New Godz" demo is the only thing in which a drum machine was used instead of Chuck Profus.

EDIT: Edited to not sound so rude and assholish.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Last edited by OpsiusCato on Sat May 04, 2019 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:18 pm 

Man, John Cyriis is one person I would love to have a few beers with and dig into his brain. Doubt any of this will be good, but will listen anyway. Such a shame that he's an inconsistent reclusive nutcase with a god-level speed metal voice. Will never be able to listen to too much classic era Agent Steel.

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 2:53 am 

Sorry to update an old post but anybody else reading up on the bullshit John Cyriis pulled at KIT? Apparently he showed up nearly 2 hours late played a sloppy 6 song set and his whole band minus the drummer wants nothing to do with him. Now his rep (probably him) is blaming the guy who drove him to the gig as the one to blame. The sad thing about it was his backing band got there 45 minutes before he did because he's a diva who needed his own car to the gig instead of driving in the van with the rest of his band. The cherry on the shit sundae that is this version of Agent Steel is now they are cancelling gigs left and right because he has no backing band.

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 3:15 am 

I heard only one of the guitar players quit. The Brazilian one.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:07 pm 

I mean is anyone surprised?

The real Agent Steel is and always will be whichever band has Bernie and Juan in it. Cyriis is a nut, and hasn't done anything relevant in decades.

I wish we could get an update on Bernie's health...

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:17 am 

Oblarg wrote:
I mean is anyone surprised?

The real Agent Steel is and always will be whichever band has Bernie and Juan in it. Cyriis is a nut, and hasn't done anything relevant in decades.

I wish we could get an update on Bernie's health...

I couldn't agree more.

I'd rather hear Bernie on lead vox than whatever Cyriis is going to do (if anything). Bernie is the real talent in that band.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:49 am 

I should probably document something since I was there and it is, by far, one of the more 'unique' concert experiences I've ever had.

Keep it True is, without doubt, the best heavy metal festival in the world. The atmosphere, the organization, the venue, the wonderful, wonderful priceless metal moments you want to revisit again and again. It's just fucking great. Every metal fan should try and experience it at some point.

Cyriis was surprising in the sense that he didn't cancel prior to the gig, the organisers had to reassure people a few weeks before that, yes, they were all set to play. Of course, it felt pretty odd to think that Cyriis would actually turn up and play a gig as normal. So, after waiting for over an hour Cyriis turned up - having been held up in traffic or, according to some, refusing to play until his guard had secured the premises (as a note, Oli from Keep it True has just said that he was delayed due to travelling in a different car to his band). There were bizarre rumours, too, that Cyriis has 2 kilos of carrots on his rider, he has a security guard follow him everywhere... all nuts stuff, kind of believable if everything else is considered.

The gig was, well, interesting.

The "Agent Steel" band were well-rehearsed and well-versed in the material. Those dudes did a great job and I feel very sorry for them, given the adverse positions they were playing in. The solos were replicated note-for-note and the sound was decent (despite the lack of soundcheck). Bravo to those guys. They clearly fulfilled their part of the bargain. John, however, was "out of this world". While his voice was still top-notch, he clearly bluffed his way through his verses and biffed the choruses due to being totally out of time. He still nailed the screams, but missed pretty much everything else. In between stage rants were bizarre and quite comical, if stifled due to the fact that part of the audience were booing, the others giving certain hand gestures. I dunno, John seems to think that the aliens are angry with us and that certain red dots make us all metalheads. Interesting.

Essentially, everything was in place for this to be a great gig apart from John himself - I imagine that John's mental health is the main factor here. Dude just didn't seem right, at all. That and I'm not sure as to whether the traffic was the contributing factor (Surely, you aim for an earlier arrival if you were playing such an important gig).

Aria followed and left no one questioning as to whether it had been worth the trip, however. :)

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:04 pm 

People need to stop giving this asshole chances. I'm sure his mental health issues are no laughing matter but god damn, take off the stupid rose-tinted sunglasses and move on.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:24 am 

Acrobat wrote:
Aria followed and left no one questioning as to whether it had been worth the trip, however. :)

Now that's a band I would kill to see.

rafa_hell
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 3:09 pm 

Lol, his new statement promising a new show in a festival 2020

Quote:
Agent Steel have a killer new lineup, in fact the band that was supposed to be at the KIT festival - but couldn’t make it. John, and his band will surely devastate this edition of the festival, with a performance that will be none other than legendary. By the time this festival is upon us, there will already have been plenty of evidence as to the fact that - despite John and Mr. Weinsheimer’s efforts to bring to the stage a classic ressurgence of the classic AS material for old and new fans to relish at KIT 2019 - the lineup that performed at the festival - was, sadly enough, not capable of delivering. However, this refresher killer lineup guarantee to perform what is to be “a corrector performance”, which will demonstrate the fact that - the true and correct lineup, of the True Agent Steel fronted by John Cyriis - will not let down fans and bystanders...!

Be prepared, as this festival performance by the mighty Agent Steel will not be soon be forgotten.

It's like the Wintersun Time thing again, but Wintersun was at least playing shows lmao

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 3:28 pm 

From what it looked like and from what we know, the lineup was the least of the issues surrounding that performance. That he's throwing them under the bus instead of taking a shred of responsibility speaks volumes about where his head is at right now.

I have this strange hunch a new Agent Steel album with him at the helm is gonna be reminiscent of that gloriously awful Aftermath album, but with potentially up to 51% more aliens and conspiracy theories.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Last edited by ModusOperandi on Wed May 08, 2019 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:52 pm 

Literally everyone who saw them at KIT stated that the band was fine *except* for him, but we're supposed to believe it was their fault. You know, aliens!

Element_man wrote:
People need to stop giving this asshole chances. I'm sure his mental health issues are no laughing matter but god damn, take off the stupid rose-tinted sunglasses and move on.

This.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:51 am 

Cyriis might fire himself from Agent Steel.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:02 pm 

Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:09 pm 

Hahaha

Sucks tho good speed metal. Would've been suckered in for a ticket if they'd been due near me.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:06 pm 

Original guitarist Bill Simmons is back in the band, along with three new members, including the bass player from Gama Bomb.

Wombface
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:26 pm 

Also seems like the title of the album has changed to No Mercy From The Godz and it's going to be their "official true 4th" record.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:24 pm 

Yes. And they have signed with Dissonance Productions and the release date is October 18th.

Wombface
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:26 pm 

There you go folks. You're up to date.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:53 am 

The album title have been changed again, to No Other Godz Before Me.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:09 pm 

Let's take odds on:

Album coming out on release date
Album being released at all, ever
Album being worth the wait
Album being good
Album being decent

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:47 pm 

It'll be released, but at this rate, the name will change at least 2 more times before then. I predict "Nearer My Godz to Thee" and finally "I Ain't Afraid of No Godz."

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:30 pm 

why do they keep fucking changing it? the only thing they need to change is the stupid numetal Z they decided to put in there. so lame.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:55 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
why do they keep fucking changing it? the only thing they need to change is the stupid numetal Z they decided to put in there. so lame.

They have a song called Bleed for the Godz, which was released in '84, which was long before nu metal.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:32 pm 

Dembo wrote:
Pitiless Wanderer wrote:

They have a song called Bleed for the Godz, which was released in '84, which was long before nu metal.

All of us Ancient Aliens knew this already.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:52 pm 

Personally I thought 8 Lights Protocol sounded alright as it was.

No need to bring da Godz into this.

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:58 pm 

The final title will be "Podz & Godz". Mark my words.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:00 am 

He should change name to John Zyriiz when we're at it.
And of course Agent Zteel

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:11 am 

Those unrequired z add a charming annunaki feel

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next