Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:27 am 

Quote:
Swedish death metal veterans UNLEASHED will release their 13th full-length album, "The Hunt For White Christ", on October 26 via Napalm Records.

When it comes to Swedish death metal, the traditional Stockholm way and death metal per se, there is one band you have to mention: UNLEASHED! Formed in 1989 by vocalist/bass player Johnny Hedlund, UNLEASHED has been delivering supreme death metal from day one. Dealing with Viking traditions and values, and honing their craft, they have become extreme metal pioneers, musically and lyrically, inspiring legions of other bands with their sound.

"The Hunt For White Christ" is the fourth album in the continued story line of the World of Odalheim and their Midgard warriors — a story authored by Johnny Hedlund himself, comprising of the past, present, and what Hedlund’s deems as the future of the Viking traditions and values. The album was recorded in the spring of 2018 at Chrome Studios, and does not simply mark the Swedes' 13th full-length album, it also solidifies the band's impact on history, paving the way to their 30th anniversary in 2019. Three decades of metal onslaught, and they have neither lost their bite, nor their love for pure death metal mayhem.

Hedlund states about "The Hunt For White Christ": "On our way towards the bands 30th anniversary in 2019 comes the release of our 13th full-length album, 'The Hunt For White Christ'. The band is very much looking forward to meeting our warriors all over the world on tours and festivals to hear your comments on the new album. And make no mistake, Odalheim will be ours! Let the hunt begin!"

Napalm Records states: "We are more than happy about the upcoming release of 'The Hunt For White Christ' by the Swedish death metal institution UNLEASHED. Beeing in business almost three decades, they proofed their standing and excellence to fans all over the world. Brace yourself for this brutal monument by the Swedish chief vikings!"

"The Hunt For White Christ" track listing:
01. Lead Us Into War
02. You Will Fall
03. Stand Your Ground
04. Gram
05. Terror Christ
06. They Rape The Land
07. The City Of Jorsala Shall Fall
08. The Hunt For White Christ
09. Vidaurgelmthul
10. By The Western Wall
11. Open To All The World

UNLEASHED is:
Johnny Hedlund: Bass, Vocals
Tomas Måsgard: Guitar
Fredrik Folkare: Guitar
Anders Schultz: Drums

I'm excited for this album, but I'm also personally hoping they ease up on all the black metal-ish flourishes and get back to basics with more simple, straight forward stuff which is what Unleashed do best. Fredrik Folkare is a great guitarist & songwriter, but there's a bit too much flare and finesse in it, if you ask me - it lacks that unique punch, and charismatic Venom-esque "fuck you"-vibe that made Unleashed stand out. Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed their more recent material, but nowhere near as much as 'Midvinterblot' or 'Hammer Battallion' (two of Unleashed's best albums), and I'd love to see Johnny coming back to the fold as a songwriter, at least for a song or two.

Also, pretty cool album cover, but it looks very similar to their last one. Oh well, I guess anything is better than what they had for 'Odalheim'...

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:00 pm 

I'm excited. As far as I'm concerned, these guys can do no wrong ( except Hell's Unleashed). One of my favorite death metal bands. I will definitely be picking this one up.

ETA: I don't see the similarities.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:17 pm 

stoked for this. unleashed are one of the few-long-running DM bands that can do little wrong (yes yggdrasil, I'm looking at you. I did welcome those black metal-ish touches on odalheim though. I'm excited how this one will turn out.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Wombface
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:52 pm 

Nice surprise right there. Quality through and through with these guys like others have said. Can't wait to see them live in october.

Everflowingstream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:04 pm 

We all know what we are getting from Unleashed. Good meat and potatoes death metal.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:09 pm 

into_the_pit wrote:
stoked for this. unleashed are one of the few-long-running DM bands that can do little wrong (yes yggdrasil, I'm looking at you. I did welcome those black metal-ish touches on odalheim though. I'm excited how this one will turn out.

I also dug the BM touches.

Unleashed are like the Overkill of Swedish DM - never as heralded as the original big daddies of the genre, but they produced quality material longer than any of them.

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:36 am 

Super excited for this, been an Unleashed fan for over 20 years since I got Victory when it was released. I thought Dawn of the Nine absolutely ruled!

Bingewolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:42 am 

Total support to Unleashed... Can't wait for this!

Epicureo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:39 am 

Should have had Black Maria strangling White Christ on the cover.

Lord_Jotun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:01 am 

I've said it before, I'll say it again: more Unleashed is always good news. Mad respect for this hard working band, still forging ahead on their own path with zero fucks given along the way. Could I live without more Unleashed records? Probably, but why would I want to?
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

TooBrute
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:24 pm 

"The Hunt For White Christ"? What does that even mean? What or who is the "White Christ"?

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:32 pm 

TooBrute wrote:
"The Hunt For White Christ"? What does that even mean? What or who is the "White Christ"?

Hvítakristr Or “white Christ” was what the Vikings called christ because all the converts to Christianity wore white robes for baptism. Usually it was used by pagans as a derogatory term, as Hvita meant cowardly or effeminate.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:50 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
TooBrute wrote:

Hvítakristr Or “white Christ” was what the Vikings called christ because all the converts to Christianity wore white robes for baptism. Usually it was used by pagans as a derogatory term, as Hvita meant cowardly or effeminate.

And furthermore, the last few albums follow a conceptual storyline, set in a post-apocalyptic future, basically following an ongoing war between two factions, the "Midgard Warriors" (basically future Vikings) and "White Christ" (a tyrannical, murderous Nazi/Christian Empire).

Rodman wrote:
Unleashed are like the Overkill of Swedish DM - never as heralded as the original big daddies of the genre, but they produced quality material longer than any of them.

Agreed, there's never been a bad Unleashed album. They do have lowpoints, namely 'Warrior' and the aforementioned 'Hell's Unleashed', but even those are pretty solid and definitely miles ahead of their peers who were releasing horseshit like 'Hating Life', 'Swallow the Snake', 'Same Difference', etc...Overkill are definitely a good comparison.

into_the_pit wrote:

I was pretty disappointed with 'As Yggdrasil Trembles' when it came out but over the years it's grown on me. Some solid stuff on there even though it's bookended by albums that totally obliterate it :lol:.

grindcrushed
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:24 pm 

Huge Unleashed fan. Looking forward to this!

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:18 am 

First single is out!

Youtube: show

Basically anything you'd want from an Unleashed song, really intense and aggressive verses which recall the band's classic material, juxtaposed against a more epic, anthemic chorus. Overall, the songwriting feels a lot tighter and I definitely think the production has taken a significant upgrade from the last few albums, color me impressed. Can't wait to hear the whole thing!

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:19 am 

I like the new track. It's right on par with the last couple albums IMO.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:29 am 

cultofkraken wrote:
TooBrute wrote:

Which reminds me of the lyrics for the Amon Amarth song Ride for Vengeance: "slaves of Hvitekrist, today you die!"

exsiccation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:39 am 

Good song. I could pretty much listen to Unleashed all day.

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:46 am 

true_death wrote:
First single is out!

Youtube: show

Basically anything you'd want from an Unleashed song, really intense and aggressive verses which recall the band's classic material, juxtaposed against a more epic, anthemic chorus. Overall, the songwriting feels a lot tighter and I definitely think the production has taken a significant upgrade from the last few albums, color me impressed. Can't wait to hear the whole thing!

Yeah that fucking ruled. I’m all in.

Zephirus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:14 am 

where should i start with Unleashed? is the first album a must have or is there another standout i should look for?

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:01 am 

Zephirus wrote:
where should i start with Unleashed? is the first album a must have or is there another standout i should look for?

It absolutely is. I'd suggest a 5 album run as a starter. Hit the first two (Where No Life Dwells and Shadows in the Deep), then you can take a mighty skip of 14 years, into Midvinterblot. The stuff in the middle is aight (especially Across the Open Sea) but you can delve into them later. Hammer Battalion is a must straight after Midvinterblot and finish it off with Odalheim, the best one of the last four.
I'd say that will give you a decent outlook on Unleashed.

TL;DR

Where No Life Dwells
Shadows in the Deep
Midvinterblot
Hammer Battalion
Odalheim

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:54 am 

true_death wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:

And furthermore, the last few albums follow a conceptual storyline, set in a post-apocalyptic future, basically following an ongoing war between two factions, the "Midgard Warriors" (basically future Vikings) and "White Christ" (a tyrannical, murderous Nazi/Christian Empire).

Odd, I figured the title would be a Moby Dick reference.

Zephirus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:06 am 

thanks, i normally like to have a CD by a band in my collection but i'd only be buying one from them likely
this will be a good reference
going to see them live in the coming months too so...

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:57 am 

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:

TL;DR

Where No Life Dwells
Shadows in the Deep
Midvinterblot
Hammer Battalion
Odalheim

Not a bad list, but I wouldn't entirely discount Across The Open Sea . It's a taste of what would come in the later 90's, without actually having to listen to what came later in the 90's.

At a stretch, the first three are a Golden Trilogy

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:19 am 

schizoid wrote:
Not a bad list, but I wouldn't entirely discount Across The Open Sea . It's a taste of what would come in the later 90's, without actually having to listen to what came later in the 90's.

I agree, but honestly the album after that, Victory, is altogether pretty solid too, it sometimes gets shit for being a typical 90's groove/death affair, but if you can look past the first riff of the first song, it's actually a pretty solid Unleashed album with only one really weak track (granted, it's a big one, the song is "Precious Land" and it's the most pathetic excuse for a "death metal" song I've ever heard). It wasn't until the next album Warrior that Unleashed really fucked up and I'd strongly advise against listening to anything from that except "Death Metal Victory" and maybe "Born Deranged".

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:10 pm 

schizoid wrote:
Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:

TL;DR

Where No Life Dwells
Shadows in the Deep
Midvinterblot
Hammer Battalion
Odalheim

At a stretch, the first three are a Golden Trilogy

I didn't discount it entirely, I did namedrop it as the best of the skipped era.

Zephirus wrote:
thanks, i normally like to have a CD by a band in my collection but i'd only be buying one from them likely
this will be a good reference
going to see them live in the coming months too so...

If you're only going to buy a single album from them, I would probably go with Midvinterblot.

Gemini 7 Rising
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:29 pm 

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:
schizoid wrote:
Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:

TL;DR

Where No Life Dwells
Shadows in the Deep
Midvinterblot
Hammer Battalion
Odalheim

If you're only going to buy a single album from them, I would probably go with Midvinterblot.

I think I agree entirely w/ this. Great list & Midvinterblot may be the best of the bunch

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:27 am 

Interesting to see so much love for Midvinterblot... If I'm honest, after Sworn Allegiance it all kind of blends into one, but in a good, consistent way. I'm actually surprised Unleashed doesn't get a huge amount of love in the MA community in the same way as say a Bolt Thrower or Overkill do. Their only real missteps would be Warrior, and the to my mind the worst offender Hell's Unleashed, simply because it was supposed to be their comeback album, but fell so, so short. Other than that, they have been consistently solid, and enjoyable throughout the years.

On that, I'm yet yo listen to this latest album, but I expect greatness :headbang:

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:37 am 

^
They are consistent, but i would argue that their highest points are not Realm Of Chaos/IV Crusade high.
Probably it's because of this that they are not so overwhelmingly loved

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:53 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
^
They are consistent, but i would argue that their highest points are not Realm Of Chaos/IV Crusade high.
Probably it's because of this that they are not so overwhelmingly loved

I would say this is not accurate. I would rank their first album as high or higher than anything bolt thrower has ever done.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:48 pm 

I too say go for Midvinterblot.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:28 am 

schizoid wrote:
On that, I'm yet yo listen to this latest album, but I expect greatness :headbang:

Don't feel bad, I don't think anyone but me listened to it :(. In my opinion, it's a very solid release and easily the best thing they've done since Hammer Battalion...less emphasis on the more epic/black metal-tinged passages and more toward straight-laced old school death metal, which is always welcome for me. I actually vastly preferred this to even Odalheim, this one has much better and more solid songwriting, I think, without the awkward moments that plagued some of their recent albums.

My only complaint is that I wish Johnny would get back to writing again. Folkare is fine, but Johnny is Unleashed...dude wrote 100% of the music on Where No Life Dwells - he's the mastermind behind the whole Unleashed sound and even as Folkare took over, the song or two he offered to their mid-00's output always ended up being my favorites. Kind of a shame then, that it's been three albums in a row since he contributed a single note musically...:cry:

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:54 am 

true_death wrote:
schizoid wrote:

Don't feel bad, I don't think anyone but me listened to it :(. In my opinion, it's a very solid release and easily the best thing they've done since Hammer Battalion...less emphasis on the more epic/black metal-tinged passages and more toward straight-laced old school death metal, which is always welcome for me. I actually vastly preferred this to even Odalheim, this one has much better and more solid songwriting, I think, without the awkward moments that plagued some of their recent albums.

My only complaint is that I wish Johnny would get back to writing again. Folkare is fine, but Johnny is Unleashed...dude wrote 100% of the music on Where No Life Dwells - he's the mastermind behind the whole Unleashed sound and even as Folkare took over, the song or two he offered to their mid-00's output always ended up being my favorites. Kind of a shame then, that it's been three albums in a row since he contributed a single note musically...:cry:

I’m with you but I LOVED Dawn of the Nine too. Land of the Thousand Lakes almost crippled my neck!

Reply to topic