Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:00 pm 

I'm currently obsessed with this defunct band, specifically with their debut album "Legends from Now and Nevermore", which is one of the best power metal albums I've ever heard in my life, it has everything I'm looking for, speed metal riffs, a masterful vocal performance, very good and memorable choruses. Plus I was amazed how they were able to go through the most overused tropes of the genre and do it without sounding cheesy at any time, for example the inclusion of the violin in their music felt totally organic to me.

As I'm nowhere near an expert in power metal and I know there are people in the forum who are very into this music, and because of the lack of information I've found about this band, I'd love to know the opinion you people have about this band, any kind of discussion is welcome. And of course if you haven't heard this band I can't do anything else but invite you to listen to them.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:34 pm 

I remember liking it way back when. I oughta give it another play sometime. That sort of stuff had a real charm to it.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:13 pm 

I was huge into Power Metal around that time and enjoyed that record, but I don't think I've ever heard the follow up. That shit was really hard to get in Canada at the time. I notice they aren't on spotify, but I'm guessing it's kicking around on youtube. I should hear that.

The title track and Eye to Eye are my favs.

Simfers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:58 am 

I have both of their albums and give them a spin now and again (haven't done that in a hot minute though). Definitely some strong stuff in there, especially the debut. You're right, that violin sounded completely organic and like an actual element of the band's sound, not just some accent they threw on. It was wonderful, A Wintertale was a particular highlight as I recall, and I can hear the chorus in my head right now just thinking about it.

The second album didn't make as much of an impression on me, aside from To Kneel Is To Suffer. Sounded less special from what I remember. But it's been years.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:30 pm 

I only have their second album, Heavenseeker. If I stumble across the debut, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I'm revisiting the album now - I always remembered enjoying it. Upon listening it, I'd compare these guys to many of the lower-tier Italian bands: Heimdall, Kaledon, Thy Majestie, etc. These are all bands that are really good at what they do, and write fairly catchy songs (at least on some of their records), but they're more subtle than the big name bands in the subgenre, and so you have to invest more as a listener to appreciate them the way you might a band like Rhapsody. I'm not sure I'll ever really get there with this album, just because there's so much good music out there, but there's no doubt that these guys should be more than just a footnote in time.

Reply to topic