Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iRaptr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:28 pm 

Týr is going to release the next album in 8th March.

Songs already published:

Tracklist:
1. Gates of Hel
2. All Heroes Fall
3. Ragnars kvæði
4. Garmr
5. Sunset Shore
6. Downhill Drunk
7. Empire of the North
8. Far from the Worries of the World
9. King of Time
10. Fire and Flame
11. Against the Gods
12. Songs of War
13. Álvur kongur

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:18 pm 

Looking forward to this. The last one was fucking awesome - I hadn't listened to the band before that album came out. I think it was what, like 2012 or 2013? I remember I was living in China at the time, and I'd walk to the gym or grocery store blasting that mother fucker. Had it on repeat for a few months. \m/

Discordant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:09 am 

Haven't given them a listen in years, will have to check out the new album
Old-school black/thrash

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:02 am 

I've had the promo for about a month now and I can confirm that it's a pretty good album. It's a little too long song-wise but the actual writing and musicianship are solid. I posted in the most recent Amon Amarth thread wondering what it would sound like if the band sucked it up and ditched the growls in favor of clean vocals. It'd sound like the new Tyr.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:16 pm 

Ragnars kvæði sounds like it came directly from Land! :)

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:03 pm 

Thanks for those videos, I needed a hearty chuckle.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:30 pm 

Valkyrja is one of my favorite albums of all time so they have some pretty high expectations to meet, especially considering the six year gap. But so far I'm digging these!

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:05 pm 

My first go round with this album and it's really fuckin' good!!

Like your reviews?

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:51 am 

iRaptr wrote:
Týr is going to release the next album in 8th March.

:eek:

Nice cover art! :-D

(The wolf startled me a little).

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:11 pm 

For those that have listened, what album in their discography would you say it sounds the most like? Does it follow the trend they've had for the past few releases, or it more akin to their older stuff? Based on the few comments I've read here, it seems like they're continuing their path.

Demon Fang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:05 am 

Indecency wrote:
For those that have listened, what album in their discography would you say it sounds the most like? Does it follow the trend they've had for the past few releases, or it more akin to their older stuff? Based on the few comments I've read here, it seems like they're continuing their path.

It continues along the same path as the last few albums, but it's the best that they've done in this style.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:53 pm 

I don't think I'd agree with that, Valkyrja is still superior in my mind. Just too many moments here that feel like they're on autopilot, and it definitely doesn't need to be 70 fucking minutes long. It's a super solid album with a lot of great songs, but they could have tightened it up a bit and/or tried some new things.

Draehl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:05 pm 

Haven't listened yet, but there's something special Tyr does that differentiates them from most other 'upbeat' Folk acts. As a general rule I very much prefer the more blackened/pagan folk style akin to Moonsorrow, or non-metal Dark Folk like Wardruna/Heilung, but these guys really write some epic/uplifting music that manages not to venture into that cringey/cheesy direction like so many others. Hail Tyr!

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:30 am 

I'm in the process of listening to this record for the first time. So far, I'm positively surprised. Several songs are surprisingly fast and melodic which is unusual for the band. The instrumental work is absolutely great. The rhythm section is quite domineering this time around and the opener already features a bass solo. This could be one of the band's greatest releases ever. Let's hope the band doesn't get boycotted because the singer honours his cultural heritage so that more people can catch them on tour.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:45 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
I don't think I'd agree with that, Valkyrja is still superior in my mind. Just too many moments here that feel like they're on autopilot, and it definitely doesn't need to be 70 fucking minutes long. It's a super solid album with a lot of great songs, but they could have tightened it up a bit and/or tried some new things.

I feel the same way, but maybe I just need some more listens. Toward the end it really dragged for me though. 70 minutes is a really long time for an album that doesn't change it up much.

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:12 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demon Fang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:16 am 

narsilianshard wrote:

The highlights of Valkyrja blow Hel out of the water, absolutely. I don't necessarily agree with Hel being on autopilot though - Hel's definitely more consistent, but I think it's more to do with how they've figured out how to nail it consistently, like sort of a culmination of what they've done over the past 10 years. Although I do hope the next Tyr album has them trying some new things because if they don't, yeah, that'll be autopilot.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:33 am 

Valkyrja is the best they've done since the style switch, but even then it's a pretty samey album, it just has better highlights than the rest. Hel seems to be more like the other two albums since 2009. It's basically just midpaced power metal nowadays.

And please tell me I'm not the only person who noticed how scraggly Heri is sounding on this one? I don't mean he sounds more gruff or aggressive this time around, I mean it sounds like he picked up a smoking habit and is now struggling to keep up with his own vocal melodies. Dude's voice used to be so pristine, it's a damn shame.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:23 pm 

Trying a few songs off of this and I dunno, there's nothing really wrong with the writing or playing or anything, but it's totally boring, played out and lame to me. Last one I heard from them was Lay of Thrym, which I remember finding similarly bland and generic. They've just stripped anything individual or interesting from their style aside from a few chanting sections, sounds like. I didn't hear any riffs or leads or choruses I can't find in any PM band since Maiden and Helloween laid the groundwork for this style 30+ years ago - just a shame from a band that used to be so original and cool.

Draehl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:53 pm 

I enjoy it, but yeah it's definitely no 'By the Light of the Morning Star'

Reply to topic