Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:46 am 

Don't want to listen to You Shall Die..., but still I listen. Not a complete manowhore for these new songs, but there's certainly something (very crappy and lovable) in said song. Something familiar in the chorus...

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:14 am 

Rumor has it that Karl Logan played the guitars on all these "new" songs.

"Sword Of The Highlands" was the best of the bunch I thought. Good atmosphere and a worthy performance by Eric Adams. The rest were forgettable. But not "You Shall Die Before I Die" haha. Not forgettable at all. WHAT THE FUCK????

In some ways it comes off as trying to do "Hatred" part 2 with its menacing lumbering structure but it sorely lacks the presence of Eric Adams. Looking forward to the Into Glory Ride re-issue though.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:54 am 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
In some ways it comes off as trying to do "Hatred" part 2 with its menacing lumbering structure but it sorely lacks the presence of Eric Adams. Looking forward to the Into Glory Ride re-issue though.

The first thing this track reminds me of Pink Floyds The Trial. The grandioseness of the thing, the ridiculous vocals, and the arrogance of the track are all similar. Also, take into consideration the fact that Joeys tried to write his version of The Wall on two separate occasions.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:36 am 

This isn't as bad as I expected but it's still very much Manowar fluff. No idea what the point is for DeMaio to do vocals on You Shall Die Before I Die. It's not the most standout song but it would've sounded less ridiculous with Adams doing his usual thing. I'm now convinced that DeMaio has always wanted to be Manowar's vocalist and this was his way to expressing that and/or testing the waters.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:20 am 

Has anybody had the chance to hear either of the remasters?

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:14 am 

I have managed to get hold of a remixed Hail to England. It's definitely a remix, not a remaster. Joey has taken liberties here and there. I'm not making this up, on just about every track he actually counts the band in! I'm sure some of the vocals have been rerecorded in places. The music does sound clearer as you would expect. The guitars are definitely more prominent. The whole thing feels a little lifeless though, as a lot of modern production does. Eric definitely sounds worse off also than the original.

While it's a minor thing, I feel the record is different enough from the original version to warrant it's own separate entry on the Manowar page.

Riffs wrote:

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:17 am 

Terri23 wrote:
I'm sure some of the vocals have been rerecorded in places. .... Eric definitely sounds worse off also than the original.

This disheartens me to read. I could just easily ignore this release, but...

Terri23 wrote:
The guitars are definitely more prominent.

Dammit. Either I take the bad with the good, or I just don't get it, I guess.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:13 pm 

I think I'll pass; more prominent guitars would be the sweetest deal but if everything else is worse it's not worth it. Plus I own two cd versions of their first three albums already.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Wszebad
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:04 am 

kluseba wrote:
it's actually surprising that such a cover artwork degrading women to sexual objects is still acceptable in 2019.

it's not surprising. women are sexual objects, in case you forgot from drinking all that soy milk

Last edited by hakarl on Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User was permanently banned for trolling.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:02 pm 

Wszebad wrote:
it's not surprising. women are sexual objects, in case you forgot from drinking all that soy milk

Very alpha post that was totally worth bumping this thread for.
Lord_Jotun wrote:
I think I'll pass; more prominent guitars would be the sweetest deal but if everything else is worse it's not worth it. Plus I own two cd versions of their first three albums already.

A few weeks ago I listened to the first few songs on the Into Glory Ride remix and I thought it sounded incredible. Beefier guitars and drums, and I didn’t notice any alterations to the vocals. But I still haven’t heard the whole thing or Hail to England so I can’t be totally sure. If the vocals are the same then that would totally warrant buying a record of it, if it weren’t for the dumb altered artwork.

And yeah, the counting in of each song is weird and would be worth editing out as well. This isn’t Deep Purple here!
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:39 am 

If that is the case I might still be interested. Altered artwork is indeed annoying but I can always look at my older copies while listening, I guess.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:06 pm 

I may have to check out the IGR remix then. Sounds interesting.

Nanoscourge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:16 pm 

Both of the new editions sound like complete garbage.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:50 pm 

The IGR remix in my opinion is better than the HtE remix. Having heard both a few times now I may have been wrong with stating that certain parts of HtE may have been rerecorded, rather they may have used alternate vocal recordings from the sessions instead. Eric still sounds worse off in this edition. The sound is fuller and heavier as a whole. The IGR remix is very close to the original. Eric's vocals are the same as the original, but again the sound is fuller and heavier. There are still embellishments here and there, such as random bells I've not heard before, and the count-in thing is completely unnecessary. Both are worthy of checking out.

Riffs wrote:

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:26 pm 

2-year necrobump, a mashup that's worth a listen but does not merit its own thread...

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:13 pm 

So, here we are two years later with no sign of Part II.

gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:36 am 

draconiondevil wrote:
So, here we are two years later with no sign of Part II.

But two years to record 4 songs because 'it's what the fans want'

The fact is Joey surely doesn't believe his own bullshit anymore?

I will please entry anus
Oh my god! Give me spicy pussy
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:46 pm 

Is Manowar still relevant these days? It seems most of the attention the band has gotten is for the drama that's surrounded them rather than their music. I'm not sure I'd expect the follow-up to this EP to be of any better quality. It's a bit sad too, just as with Virgin Steele you have a band that was once beloved now making music that is mediocre at best.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:59 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:
Is Manowar still relevant these days? It seems most of the attention the band has gotten is for the drama that's surrounded them rather than their music. I'm not sure I'd expect the follow-up to this EP to be of any better quality. It's a bit sad too, just as with Virgin Steele you have a band that was once beloved now making music that is mediocre at best.

What's happened to Virgin Steele is just miserable. Manowar at least still are recognisable even with their recent output. Virgin Steele of today sounds like a group of granddads got together and decided to record a tribute act on a shoestring budget.

Riffs wrote:

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:10 pm 

Manowar and Virgin Steele are definitely more alike than they are different now. Programmed drums, awful production, egomaniac bandleader, pretentiousness, poorly conceived ideas, excessive self-covering/re-releases.

Manowar has better singing and Virgin Steele is less drama prone, I guess.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:16 pm 

Yeah, DeFeis and DeMaio seem to have both gotten high off of their own supply so to speak. They may both be legendary songwriters, but nowadays they seem to be blinded by their own egos, which has translated into an inability to self-edit or realize when the material they're writing is substandard.

EndorphinMachine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:49 am 

Maybe someone told them The Lord of Steel had enough good stuff to fill an EP?
Manowar is very lucky they have one of the best singers in the genre, Adams has kept the band afloat for the last 20 years.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 7:50 pm 

Man I thought that after two goddamn years we'd at least have part II if not parts II and III. Well it is Manowar after all.

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:52 am 

draconiondevil wrote:
Man I thought that after two goddamn years we'd at least have part II if not parts II and III. Well it is Manowar after all.

Remember 2014, when Manowar cancelled "postponed" their US tour to focus on their "yet unnamed studio album"? The first release after 2014 was The Final Battle I: expect the next in 2024.

But I wonder, when Manowar announced The Final Battle I, they said:
Quote:
these four new molten metal tracks have been inspired by MANOWAR’s “The Final Battle World Tour” and fuelled by the support and energy of their fans.
(link)
That leaves me wondering: what the hell was recorded in 2014? The tour took place way after that time.

And let's not forget that DeMaio yeeted all his work for "Hammer of the Gods" some ten years back.
Spoiler: show

Don't get your hopes up: Manowar easily abandon projects. And even if they released it, would it be good? The Final Battle I was announced as "one of the most insanely epic releases of all time", and it most certainly wasn't that.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:03 am 

That's fair. I guess we'll always have the 80's stuff. I'm always hopeful for new music from them since the actual metal tracks on Warriors of the World are awesome (and the The Dawn of Battle EP) but that was almost 20 years ago now so they probably don't have it anymore anyway.

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:42 am 

Indeed, we’ll always have those. And they are still capable of writing good songs after that (King of Kings, God or Man) but these are few and far in between.

I think Karl Logan’s arrest has made things difficult: would Joey let EV record anything or will he continue to play guitars in the new ep’s (if ever recorded)? Or let Anders drum instead of a drum machine?

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:04 am 

I'm still somehow interested about Manowar's new releases, though they probably don't reach Valhalla anymore. Thunder in the Sky EP was quite good, except for that ballad. Something in that vein would be tolerable. Just don't expect heavens from them. That age is over.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:35 pm 

I don't want Manowar to release tolerable music.

How about a Manowar album produced by Andy Sneap? Like grasping at the last straw.

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:20 am 

Opus wrote:
I don't want Manowar to release tolerable music.

How about a Manowar album produced by Andy Sneap? Like grasping at the last straw.

I doubt that Joey would anyone else produce Manowar, he's done every release since 2006.

And Sneap has better ways to spend his time (like getting us that third Hell record!).

LordStenhammar wrote:
I'm still somehow interested about Manowar's new releases, though they probably don't reach Valhalla anymore. Thunder in the Sky EP was quite good, except for that ballad. Something in that vein would be tolerable. Just don't expect heavens from them. That age is over.

TitS showed they still had it, even though the drums are programmed and basic (or did someone actually record them that way?).

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:12 am 

Yeah, the drums are the worst part of the latest Manowar recordings. Or the guitars doing just nothing, can't decide.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:03 am 

On June 14, 2019 we Hailed the great legacy of Greece and the loyal Greek #Manowarriors.
Our #2022tour will celebrate a year packed with MANOWAR anniversaries and we hope to return to Greece to commemorate 30 years of "Achilles, Agony and Ecstasy”!
And to premier the next chapter of Homer’s epic work, titled “The Revenge Of Odysseus”, with our biggest show ever in Greece!

https://www.facebook.com/manowar/posts/335606304589877

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:10 am 

They HOPE to return to Greece? What sort of announcement is that? Yeah, and I hope Scarlett Johannsson marries me.

Does anybody enjoy "Achilles, Agony and Ecstasy”? To me it's to Manowar what "Crush 'Em" is to Megadeth and "The Angel and the Gambler" is to Iron Maiden. They've written worse songs, but that one perfectly demonstrates the problems they're having at that moment in time. It's like a dissected cadaver where you can see the stab and bullet wounds.

In_Zane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:56 am 

MawBTS wrote:
They HOPE to return to Greece? What sort of announcement is that?

Well, In this case I think It's due to all changes Greece are making back 'n forth over what you need to get into the country.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:08 am 

To me it seems like a challenge by hyping the fuck out of Greek Manowar fans to pester promoters to bring them. Their last concert went surprisingly well, both commercially and performance-wise (by most accounts, I wasn't there), so there is potential. And Greeks are suckers for greek references from foreigners...

Personally, I think musically the band is done and I would much prefer wasting my time waiting for that third Hell album indeed!

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:16 am 

Manowar wrote:

And to premier the next chapter of Homer’s epic work, titled “The Revenge Of Odysseus”, with our biggest show ever in Greece!

It looks like they’re hyping/baiting fans with a new track. Have they written new music? Will it happen?

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:20 am 

MawBTS wrote:
They HOPE to return to Greece? What sort of announcement is that? Yeah, and I hope Scarlett Johannsson marries me.

Does anybody enjoy "Achilles, Agony and Ecstasy”? To me it's to Manowar what "Crush 'Em" is to Megadeth and "The Angel and the Gambler" is to Iron Maiden. They've written worse songs, but that one perfectly demonstrates the problems they're having at that moment in time. It's like a dissected cadaver where you can see the stab and bullet wounds.

I think all the parts are great except the soloing sections. However it doesn't have a great flow which is its biggest detriment.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:41 am 

Classic Manowar. I remember when I saw them at Store Vega in Copenhagen, Denmark some years back, they pulled the promoter for the Copenhell festival up on stage and more or less pressured him to promise to book Manowar for the next year's festival. Needless to say they were not booked, but for a few weeks Danish fans were debating whether they were actually confirmed to play or not.

...and Achilles, Agony and Ecstacy rocks.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:09 am 

Basically what Innes said, I love the Achilles squite, other than the bass solo when the keyboards dop out (I still like the bass solo part when there are keys present) and the drum solo.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:14 pm 

"You Shall Die Before I Die"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:17 pm 

Metal Shark wrote:
"You Shall Die Before I Die"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

They should change the name of that to "You Shall Release Another EP Before I Release Another EP".

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2