Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Evil_Obsidian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:12 am 

Fleurety - Department Of Apocalyptic Affairs is a strange and unique album for and already strange and unique band. Everything about it is otherworldly - from the smoky female vocals to the bizarre arrangements and odd time signatures, and even the booklet art. Music that cannot be described but must be listened to, it surely polarizes all who come across it - as all truly unique art must do.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:37 am 

L'Acephale - Stahlhartes Gehäuse. I'm not exactly sure how o describe it but it's a black metal/dark folk album with a ton of recordings from multiple albums: Veljo Tormis, Penderecki, etc. One of the most underrated USBM acts.

https://lacephale.bandcamp.com/album/st ... es-geh-use

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:07 am 

When I think of truly "unique" albums I think of bands like

Bal Sagoth - Almost any album
Arcturus - LMI, TSM, SS
Beyond Twilight - Section X
Midnight Odyssey - Take your pick

For newer bands, acts like

Dodecahedron - Kwintessens
Astronoid - Air

emperorjvl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:29 am 

1) Amorphis - Elegy

None of the prior or subsequent albums could ever match this gem, nor could any band I've heard of to date.

2) Cynic - Focus (previously mentioned)

Absolutely. Not only the technical prowess, but the feeling in the songs. Complete unique masterpiece.

3) December Wolves - Blasterpiece Theater

I think Completely Dehumanized is a deathrash masterpiece, but this followup is fucked up, amusing, and fun.

4) Sadus - Illusions/Swallowed in Black

Please point me to anything that sounds just like this - violent, fast, unholy bass, screams from hell, short thrash songs to drive off a cliff to. CER.TAIN.DEATH.

5) Scholomance - The Immortality Murder

I remember comparisons to Emperor... nonsense. This band had its own sound, and their second is a fantastic album of technical black metal.

6) WASP - KFD

Still my favorite of theirs, nothing sounds like this. The lines:

Can you see yourself
And how do you sleep with what you are?
What you turned out to be
Fuck you, kill yourself

still embody my rage at certain assholes I've run across in my life.

leetorry
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:19 am 

Demilich - Nespithe

Everyone talks about how weird and ahead of the curve they were. About how no one was making metal like they were doing it. I think the truly unique thing about it was just how suprisingly accesible, catchy and fun it was. Its not like other tech death bands where it was way too heady and confrontation or were just too fucking ridiculous. Demilich was able to make an death metal album that was perfect for non-mosh dancing without the listenee feeling embarased. The vocals arent too ridiculous like the next wave of burpers, but it didnt feel monotonous and boring in a joking matter, they had confidence, and didnt leave you feeling disgusted. The production was girthy and sludgy but clean enough that it put many other bands to shame. And dear lord the riffs, the amazing riffs. They were atmopsheric without coming accross as indeciphreble and unnerving. They were fun, playfull and suprisingly approachable imo.

SYL - Alien and City

Basically Queen if they made extreme metal. And I love them for it. Bombastic and campy, with a splaashing of pop, electronic and pseudoclassical song writting. A must have.

Brutal Truth - Need To Control

Coming from a low point of grindcore, they alongside Assuck, Human Remains, and Agoraphobic Nosebleed (and maybe Anal Cunt) would influence the new grind rejuvenation of the very late 90s and early to mid 2000s. What made this album unique was its outside influences and the spaciousness of their songs. Jazz influences, groovier and doomier songs, a pink floyd cover, and a didgeroo, all under an emotional grindcore masterpiece.

Voidsel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:02 pm 

Kerrick wrote:
The 3rd And The Mortal - Painting on glass

This one I've always had mixed feelings about. The Sorrow EP is one of my favourite ever albums (the Tears followup was also great), so the abrupt change in style (and loss of Kari) left me with dissatisifed memories of Painting on Glass, but .... every time I dig it out I'm pleasantly surprised. It's challenging to listen to, but underneath that they craft a building beauty that rises up and triumphs over the experimentalism.

It's also worth checking out Tactile Gemma (non-metal but avant-garde) for which Ann-Mari sang. Side note, just realised she did guest vocals on Antestor's The Forsaken.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3