Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:30 pm 

Sabaton will release a new album this Summer, via Nuclear Blast. It will be a concept album about World War I.

Trailer:

Youtube: show

Pär Sundström comments:
"This is the biggest album we have taken on so far. There is so much depth and story around the songs that we never had before. Expect many surprises as we have tried new things and we also went back in time to a concept we know a lot of you love.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:36 pm 

I feel like it should be illegal for any other band to sing about World War I now that 1914 exists.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:54 pm 

Im tired. Im so tired of Sabaton.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:04 pm 

Every band always has to say each new album is their biggest, most complex, etc... I'll be really surprised if it has much deviation at all from their usual 3-4 minute song lengths and typical structures. Last one was shockingly bad.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:39 pm 

ChildClownOutlet wrote:
Im tired. Im so tired of Sabaton.

Couldn't you just like, not listen to them?

Last edited by tahu157 on Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:23 pm 

Looking forward to this. I really like the artwork, but the colour scheme is way too close to the last record. Either way, if this has 3-4 great songs and the rest is serviceable, I'll be happy.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:28 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
Either way, if this has 3-4 great songs and the rest is serviceable, I'll be happy.

Same here. I honestly kinda liked their previous album, at least more so than the average listener. For me The Art of War is still the one to beat though.

LycanthropeMoon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:41 pm 

The last album was pretty underwhelming, I'm hoping for more energy in this one. They're always a pretty great live band, at least. I remember seeing them open for Iced Earth and upstaging them... Actually, Revamp (Floor Jansen's pre-Nightwish, post-After Forever band) upstaged them too. Whoops!

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:45 pm 

The last album had the title track, "Sparta," and "Shiroyama," so it wasn't exactly what I'd call a waste. Actually, for Sabaton standards, I'd say the last album was pretty darn good.

This one looks to be pretty boring, though. WWI is just dour and grim and bleak, I can't picture Sabaton of all bands making it exciting without being tone-deaf.
Mirai of the Future
After That: Mob Psycho 100 II and Martian Successor Nadesico

lordzikon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:47 pm 

Honestly this seems like a great soundtrack to listen with while playing some Sniper Elite.

BastardHead
Worse than the PMRC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:34 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
[war in general] is just dour and grim and bleak, I can't picture Sabaton of all bands making it exciting without being tone-deaf.

FTFY.

For real this is kind of my biggest beef with Sabaton the more I think about it. Their sort of ultra-jingoistic unchallenging Disneyfication of brutal war and massive death just seems so out of touch and shallow. Fantasy shit is cool, nasty re-imaginings for shock value is one thing, but constantly reaching to real-life slaughter and making bouncy synthy major key 80s aerobics-metal tunes out of it just feels like a slap in the face.

It also certainly doesn't help that their songs just fuckin' suck in general. Shiroyama was the only half decent song they've put out in well over a decade.

Luvers666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:29 pm 

Sabaton has been a dead idea since their 2nd album

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:33 pm 

Luvers666 wrote:
Sabaton has been a dead idea since their 2nd album

I read this as "dad idea" at first, and that actually works too.

NEW Valcove album Forge @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge. For fans of Aphex Twin, Autechre, ambient techno

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:32 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:
[war in general] is just dour and grim and bleak, I can't picture Sabaton of all bands making it exciting without being tone-deaf.

FTFY.

For real this is kind of my biggest beef with Sabaton the more I think about it. Their sort of ultra-jingoistic unchallenging Disneyfication of brutal war and massive death just seems so out of touch and shallow. Fantasy shit is cool, nasty re-imaginings for shock value is one thing, but constantly reaching to real-life slaughter and making bouncy synthy major key 80s aerobics-metal tunes out of it just feels like a slap in the face.

Well yeah, but I mean in terms of comparing wars to one another, WWI is just excessively grimdark. Like, no wonder absurdism and nihilism took off like crazy in its wake--this shit was so brutal, so horrific, so pointless that even the stoutest of believers is forced to reckon with the idea of faith in a supposedly benevolent god in the face of such utter, merciless atrocity...and Sabaton's doing an album of nothing but that.

The Battle at Thermopylae? Badass. The last stand of the samurai? Cool. Bombin' Nazis? Fuck yeah. The horrors of siege warfare in the trenches being poisoned to a slow and agonizing death in a stationary, unending conflict for the glory of nothing? Gross.
Mirai of the Future

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:34 am 

I wonder if this is inspired by their recent collaborations with Indy Neidell from the Great War YouTube channel (highly recommended, it's a real-time week-by-week account of WW1). They have done videos together, discussing the historical background for the Sabaton songs.
As I can rarely stand to listen to power metal, Sabaton's music is definitely not my cup of tea. The wikipedia pages of the events they sing about are often more entertaining.
I liked Carolus Rex, the Swedish version, as I think they really nailed the atmosphere and excitement around the Swedish glory days (in the imperial sense) in a tasteful way.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:19 am 

raumr wrote:
I wonder if this is inspired by their recent collaborations with Indy Neidell from the Great War YouTube channel (highly recommended, it's a real-time week-by-week account of WW1). They have done videos together, discussing the historical background for the Sabaton songs.

I love that channel and them (basically) being finished makes me :(. I want the Indy's WW2 channel to have been better planned out with a proper team and all, so I hope it grows into something richer.

Sabaton is the darling group of lots of history fan communities and channels. I have the same problem with them as others here when it comes to their super romanticization of warfare, turning it into as BH said a Disneyfication and palatable form to please a lot of people. It's like when George Lucas made Red Tails and it was just embarrassing and felt outdated as hell.

WW1 is one of the worst wars you can do that to. This may be my issue with the band itself sounding boring as well, all the way back to the debut.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:32 am 

Hopefully it's closer to Heroes than the last one. I'll check it out.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:40 am 

Probably the most redundant band in the history of music.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:25 am 

Looking forward to this one. The Last Stand grew on me quite a bit, and while it's definitely not their best, it was a pretty decent record overall. I'm hoping this one will be on par with Heroes at least.

Methuen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:56 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

FTFY.

Well yeah, but I mean in terms of comparing wars to one another, WWI is just excessively grimdark. Like, no wonder absurdism and nihilism took off like crazy in its wake--this shit was so brutal, so horrific, so pointless that even the stoutest of believers is forced to reckon with the idea of faith in a supposedly benevolent god in the face of such utter, merciless atrocity...and Sabaton's doing an album of nothing but that.

The Battle at Thermopylae? Badass. The last stand of the samurai? Cool. Bombin' Nazis? Fuck yeah. The horrors of siege warfare in the trenches being poisoned to a slow and agonizing death in a stationary, unending conflict for the glory of nothing? Gross.

I've not picked your post for any reason - several have made the 'trenches, gas, etc etc' statements, and they do always get made, so please don't take this in any way personally.

There was plenty of that war that wasn't trenches. Most of the start and end was not in trenches, and a good part of the rest of the land war was movement-based, especially in Russia / Prussia.

Some images from the Western and Eastern Fronts might help - and I assume Sabaton won't be re-writing Iron Maiden's Paschendaele with their style, or trying to set Wilfred Own to music.

The naval war was also fairly mobile - the Battle of Jutland would be a cracking heavy metal song.

Battle of Tannenberg 1914

Spoiler: show

Battle of Mons - 1914

Tanks at the Battle of Cambrai - 1917

Spoiler: show

Flowerdew's Charge - 1918

Dreadnoughts steaming to Jutland

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:20 am 

Just for the record, they already have at least one song about WWI, The Price of a Mile, which is on the Art of War album.

I started listening to Sabaton early on, maybe even before their first album. I'd say I'm a fan of their early stuff, including The Art of War, and part of Coat of Arms. After that I haven't cared for their stuff.

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:20 pm 

Is it just me, or does the keyboard melody of “Ruina Imperii” from the Carolus Rex album remind anyone else of the theme song from Gremlins?

idunnosomename
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:20 am 

I really liked Sabaton's first two albums. Even if Attero Dominatus was just a carbon-copy of Primo Victoria: hell, worked for Metallica's first four albums to have similar track orders. Fist for Fight/Metalizer had some good songs too, especially Metalizer which is better than the one Priest wrote.

Art of War onwards though they just became more based on having the guitars following the vocal line, with no good riffs. And obviously really scraping the barrel for modern warfare topics. Writing a song about the Holocaust in their Wikipedia style really wasn't a good idea. And now Sparta and Bannockburn seem like them finally giving up and just doing silly fantasy lyrics.

And also you don't need to have a degree in music theory to hear how they use the same song writing tricks over and over: you know like how they ALWAYS do that suspenseful hold on the dominant chord in like, every song? And the "Eastern riff" of minor seconds? And how every chorus melody started sounding like 40:1?

What surprises me most, is that having a look, they hardly play anything off their earlier albums now. Just Primo Victoria's title track really. Why didn't Panzer Battalion become a setlist fixture??? I guess it's because they wrote Ghost Division instead which is basically the same but more "modern" sounding.

Inevitable really, but still a little disappointing.

edit:
after a relisten to Attero Dominatus: also shoving up the key a step on the final chorus. jeez that was a bad sign.

Last edited by idunnosomename on Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:31 am 

They're a gimmick band, yeah - this shit happens with those. They're only about one shallow, noticeable thing and not much else.

I remember when Primo Victoria came out it was pretty fun and cool to me when I was way younger. Nothing else really sounded like it. Art of War had some good stuff too. But now of course they've become so oversaturated and samey that it's lost any appeal and they've basically gone down the drain entirely.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:35 am 

idunnosomename wrote:
And now Sparta and Bannockburn seem like them finally giving up and just doing silly fantasy lyrics.

Sorry but neither of these topics are NOT fantasy, it happened in real life :lol:

(Not saying the 300 movie is historically accurate tho)

idunnosomename wrote:
And also you don't need to have a degree in music theory to hear how they use the same song writing tricks over and over: you know like how they ALWAYS do that suspenseful hold on the dominant chord in like, every song? And the "Eastern riff" of minor seconds? And how every chorus melody started sounding like 40:1?

+1 on this tho

A year ago or so I actually downloaded all Sabaton songs
And imported into my DAW and put similar or copy parts after each other
It got overwhelming pretty fast :-D

I never got around to finish it tho, but I guess somebody else could do it easily

MuteButterfly
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:18 am 

Someone combined Shiroyama and Ghost Division back when The Last Stand came out, and they just perfectly flow into eachother.

https://picosong.com/DEUN/

idunnosomename
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:20 am 

Well they're very very Romanticised Hollywood history is what I mean, rather than fantasy-genre. 300 is clearly their primary source material for Sparta, and Blood of Bannockburn is Braveheart.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:08 am 

I can just imagine the writing sessions.

"Dude, what rhymes with Franz Ferdinand?"

"World War I - it was the first world war. It wouldn't be the last, both happened in the past".

Another masterpiece is on its way, lads.

Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash

idunnosomename
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:49 am 

If you look at most of their lyrics they don't even bother to rhyme them a lot of the time

I relistened to Attero Dominatus and it's not as solid as I remember. In fact it's just TOO similar to Primo Victoria. But yeah, that debut's an excellent good all-killer no-filler with lots of memorable riffs and choruses. The shame is that they really lost interest in writing any new riffs. It has to be that Brodén increasingly took over the songwriting and based it more around the vocal parts, even before the original guitarists fucked off out the band.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:04 pm 

Track list:
01. The Future of Warfare
02. Seven Pillars of Wisdom
03. 82nd All the Way
04. The Attack of the Dead Men
05. Devil Dogs
06. The Red Baron
07. Great War
08. A Ghost in the Trenches
09. Fields of Verdun
10. The End of the War to End All Wars
11. In Flanders Fields

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:22 pm 

Dembo wrote:
06. The Red Baron

Pre-emptively calling it, Iron Mask did it better.
Mirai of the Future

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:07 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Dembo wrote:
06. The Red Baron

Pre-emptively calling it, Iron Mask did it better.

Pre-emptively calling it, so did God Dethroned.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Caspian88
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:10 pm 

Methuen wrote:
I've not picked your post for any reason - several have made the 'trenches, gas, etc etc' statements, and they do always get made, so please don't take this in any way personally.

There was plenty of that war that wasn't trenches. Most of the start and end was not in trenches, and a good part of the rest of the land war was movement-based, especially in Russia / Prussia.

Thank you! The First World War is probably the most misunderstood of the major recent wars (at least here in the USA, anyway).

This was actually a beef of mine with God Dethroned's Passiondale and Under the Sign of the Iron Cross - the music is excellent, but I am constantly distracted by "machine guns" showing up in the lyrics (four songs between the two albums, sometimes in the chorus). It's honestly a very small beef, but use (overuse) of that phrase actually takes me out of the music.

BarbaricAvatar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:13 am 

I fucking love Sabaton and i don't give a shit about them reusing hooks and riffs, it gives them an identity. Doing the same stuff over and over for 35 years hasn't harmed Manowar's popularity, but out of the two only Sabaton keep writing amazing songs. And their live gigs are among the most fun to attend.

So, yeah; stoked for this release!

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:55 pm 

BarbaricAvatar wrote:
I fucking love Sabaton and i don't give a shit about them reusing hooks and riffs, it gives them an identity. Doing the same stuff over and over for 35 years hasn't harmed Manowar's popularity, but out of the two only Sabaton keep writing amazing songs. And their live gigs are among the most fun to attend.

So, yeah; stoked for this release!

I don't think it's the same-y-ness that turns people off of Sabaton, or else M-A would have the severed heads of Overkill and Accept displayed at the entrance to serve as a warning.
Mirai of the Future

LycanthropeMoon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:03 pm 

I'm thinking it's the blatant, unabashed pop present in Sabaton's music that irks people. It doesn't bother me most of the time, though "The Last Stand" came off as pretty uninspired and devoid of life. Even then, it bored me more than it annoyed me.

idunnosomename
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:03 pm 

I mean I love Running Wild but I can laugh at their tropes (B minor, relentlessly diatonic, parallel fifths, VI-VII-I tail, doo dada DOOOO solo lick). But they still have endlessly memorable riffs and melodies: it's a formula that works. But with Sabaton I have difficulty telling their songs apart they are so similar in construction.

I don't hate the band though. If you love them, then good for you. I can see their appeal for the most part.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:20 pm 

New music video for . . . a song that isn't on the album? Also not an old song as far as I can tell. Is this like a single-exclusive B-side similar to Nightwish's song Sagan?

Youtube: show

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:42 pm 

Not gonna lie, that "Bismarck" song is kinda cool. Probably my favorite thing they've done since "Carolus Rex."
Mirai of the Future

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:48 pm 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
I'm thinking it's the blatant, unabashed pop present in Sabaton's music that irks people. It doesn't bother me most of the time, though "The Last Stand" came off as pretty uninspired and devoid of life. Even then, it bored me more than it annoyed me.

Yup, this. The Last Stand is the utmost example of the most vapid, brainless type of metal music imaginable. I know people will always say 'it doesn't have to be deep to be good,' and sure, but that was an out and out garbage album no matter what.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next