Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:11 pm 

I just found a "studio report" on the new My Dying Bride album which has been in the works for awhile now. Unfortunately, information about it has been pretty sparse, other than that the band's been having a very tough time lately. For one, the band started cancelling shows left and right - which resulted in some rumors of the band's dissolution, until Aaron Stainthorpe revealed that the actual reason was that his daughter was diagnosed with cancer, and he had to basically stop working entirely to take care of her. On top of that, there have been some lineup troubles...namely not one but two classic era members have now left...Shaun Taylor-Steels and founding guitarist Calvin Robertshaw left before writing even began. According to Stainthorpe, they never bothered to announce the latter's departure because "it was pretty acrimonious" (which honestly kind of guts me to hear, but oh well!)

In the studio report, Stainthorpe describes this album as being catchier and "more commercial", with more mature and concise songwriting to make things "easier on the ears", and while still dark, not "bleak" darkness. He describes the album as "beautiful" and "full of harmonies", and describes the general atmosphere as "melancholic in the way Dead Can Dance are". He says he has dialed down the misery and apocalyptic themes, describing his current approach as more "localized misery". He also says that the band initially attempted to write shorter songs but admits they "failed miserably" at that. The shortest song is 5 minutes, and the rest range from 8 to 10 minutes in length. Aaron doesn't mention if he will be using his death growl again (which he finally unearthed on 'Feel the Misery' after barely touching it for three albums straight), but my expectation based on his word choice is that there will be significantly less (if any at all) on this album. Granted, I don't recall him really acknowledging the growls or death metal elements in any interviews in support of that album, either...so I guess we'll have to wait until Autumn to hear what it'll sound like.

Anyway, the reason I'm summarizing it like this is instead of just linking/quoting it is because the report lies behind a paywall for the latest issue of Metal Hammer and it won't let me copy anything, oh well. Here's a link for anyone who wants to see it for himself: https://www.pressreader.com/uk/metal-hammer-uk/20190620

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:03 pm 

thanks for posting this :) I'm not surprised STS effed off again. I'm not surprised about Calvin either, tho I was really hoping he'd stick around for at least one album... :/ my thoughts are really with Aaron :(

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:55 am 

Well, there's never a band you'd wish misery and trouble on, but I'm surprised to hear that all this strife is leading to lighter music. Nevertheless, they've been on a roll for the last decade and arguably released the best albums of their career. Still a strong hope this will be good.

BURlAL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:11 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Well, there's never a band you'd wish misery and trouble on, but I'm surprised to hear that all this strife is leading to lighter music. Nevertheless, they've been on a roll for the last decade and arguably released the best albums of their career. Still a strong hope this will be good.

Ya I was hoping Aaron would go to a really dark place on the next MDB after getting the news of his daughter.

Best album of their career in the last decade? Such as? I always thought Songs of Darkness and A Line of Deathless Kings was their best besides the early stuff.

So is Aaron the only original member now?

Itheus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:41 am 

Here is some more information on his daughter's situation:

"Many of you have been wondering what has happened to the band since we cancelled all our shows back in late 2017. Well, here is the answer.
"In September 2017, my beautiful little daughter, just five years old, was diagnosed with cancer. This event devastated the whole family as well as close friends and of course all of MY DYING BRIDE and related colleagues. A black hole of worry and panic opened up before me and I was fearful of what was to come. The horror that surrounds this terrible disease is real and brutal and relentless.

"The highly destructive but very necessary poison that is chemotherapy was started and, after a time, surgery removed the main tumour but it had spread. Early 2018, a second major operation was needed to finally get rid of the visible mass but cells were still in her body, so radiotherapy took place to destroy these. The side effects of both chemo and radio therapies left her a broken and sorry little thing and my heart was aching like never before. As the father of a deeply sick child, I was on the brink of total implosion.
"After the worst year of our lives, and stress beyond belief, we were gifted the news that so many other people never get; she is clear. She has beaten one of the cruellest of God's bitter and loveless creations.
"Despite this positive outcome, there will be years of tests and potential complications which may result in many returns to hospital. I will fear for her every day for the rest of my life and hope that when I finally go to my grave, she will be a strong and forthright woman.
"We really need to thank the wonderful people at the NHS Children's Hospital in Leeds for everything they have done and also the wonderful Candlelighters, children's cancer charity for their endless and loving support.
"The band took a small hiatus at the devastating news but gradually began to muster forces and start work on the next LP which we can happily tell you all, is well under way and, in fact, is almost complete. I have not taken part in any writing as yet, but will return to the fold this week, pen in hand and a new focus and eagerness to fulfil my role as wordsmith and vocalist for this remarkable band. We have returned!"

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/my-dyi ... diagnosis/

So happy to hear that she got a clear diagnosis, even though it sounds like there could be more road bumps ahead. As a father of two little girls just reading about the situation made my stomach churn a bit.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:56 am 

BURlAL wrote:
So is Aaron the only original member now?

No, they've still got Andrew Craighan - he wrote and played all guitar on this album.

For me, A Map of All Our Failures is one of the best albums MDB has ever released, honestly without question, hands down the absolute darkest and most bleak, soul-crushing thing in their entire discography (which is really saying something :lol:).

That said, as much as I worship the early classics (albums & EP's), my favorite album from the band has always been The Dreadful Hours, such a spellbinding masterpiece from front to back, one of the only 70+ minute albums I can listen to without losing focus or attention at any point. It's also one of their heaviest and most death metal-oriented releases...Aaron has one of the best death growls in metal so I guess I gravitate more to the albums where he does it prominently...that said I still really love their experimental stuff like 34.788%...Complete and honestly, all their albums & mini-albums are fantastic with the possible exception of For Lies I Sire which despite returning the violin and even featuring a fantastic opening track, is nonetheless a very stale and tired album in my book.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:27 am 

BURlAL wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:

Ya I was hoping Aaron would go to a really dark place on the next MDB after getting the news of his daughter.

Best album of their career in the last decade? Such as? I always thought Songs of Darkness and A Line of Deathless Kings was their best besides the early stuff.

I've been nothing but positive on The Barghest o' Whitby, A Map of All Our Failures, and Feel the Misery. We got the darkest, most crushing material from the band and then a wondrously detailed, melodic feast of songs. By the way, Songs of Darkness is a royal turd in my opinion.

I don't mean that I wanted Aaron to go to a dark place personally, though I do hope he finds something better than vampires to sing about.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:50 am 

I have mixed feelings on all this. I love the band and basically think they can do no wrong, but it sounds like this album is going to be quite different from the last few. They're on a new record label, so the band also has a new producer who may have a huge effect on the band's sound, good or bad. I also don't think they're working with Mags who's recorded almost everything they've ever done and helped craft their signature sound. Then they're going in a more catchy / less miserable direction, which isn't really what I'd prefer after how good their last few heavier albums have sounded. But then again, maybe them doing something a bit different is exactly what is needed right now. It's hard to say. Everything may turn out great, so I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic. I don't think they would sell out or anything like that (especially judging on the track lengths), but I just hope the album feels like My Dying Bride.

The lineup changes aren't a huge deal to me. The main thing is having Aaron and Andrew involved, and also Shaun on violins/keyboards - because MDB with violin is better than MDB without violin. It was cool that Calvin came back, but if he's already out then it wasn't meant to be. Also, after reading the A Harvest of Dread book, he was the main reason in why 34.788% Complete came out the way it did, and since it's the weakest MDB effort I'm not sure him being back was actually a good thing. Or maybe he wasn't happy with how this new album was shaping up and left... who knows. I'm somewhat sorry to see Shaun Taylor-Steels out because his contributions to the band have always been stellar, but I think Jeff Singer should be a fine replacement.

Last edited by Evoken on Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
BURlAL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:00 am 

Quote:
I've been nothing but positive on The Barghest o' Whitby, A Map of All Our Failures, and Feel the Misery. We got the darkest, most crushing material from the band and then a wondrously detailed, melodic feast of songs. By the way, Songs of Darkness is a royal turd in my opinion.

I don't mean that I wanted Aaron to go to a dark place personally, though I do hope he finds something better than vampires to sing about.

Songs of Darkness is my 2nd personal favorite.

I didnt mean I wanted Aaron to go to a dark place, but for his music to.

EDIT Nice review btw. :D

I thought Barghest was generic and really dont remember A Map of...so Im going to relisten to it now and FtM was good.

ShinyOx
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:36 pm 

I'm in the one of the few that absolutely loves 'Songs Of Darkness', but I do have the thing that is was my first My Dying Bride album. They have got a really solid discography in general, the only ones I'm not keen on being '34.788% Complete' and 'The Light At The End Of The World', however both do have some really solid tracks on them. I do hope their new album leans more towards the 'Map Of All Our Failures' side of things, as that was the best that they had released in a while.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:55 pm 

I also thought the new music would be the bleakest, most miserable shit ever created once I heard about his daughter. I'm quite surprised to hear his description of the new music, but maybe the entire situation has lightened him a bit in the way of experiencing the truest and most soul-crushing pure fear, misery and heartbreak.

My favourite MDB record is still "The Dreadful Hours". My god, I played the heck out of the album when it came out when I was in high school.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:29 am 

jimbies wrote:
I also thought the new music would be the bleakest, most miserable shit ever created once I heard about his daughter. I'm quite surprised to hear his description of the new music, but maybe the entire situation has lightened him a bit in the way of experiencing the truest and most soul-crushing pure fear, misery and heartbreak.

Someone in my family, his daughter was injured in a car accident, she completely recovered in the end, but he became a much more balanced person afterwards because all the stupid daily worries about money, work and all sorts of drama are instantly erased from the head when something like that happens.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:41 am 

New update:

Quote:
It is complete! The new album from My Dying Bride! It has taken quite some time to put together but it is now finished and is with Nuclear Blast as I write this. There is no release date as yet but rest assured we will let you know once we find out. This album is a luxurious journey into a realm only MDB know how to create. It has the most lavish production of any of our past offerings and the sound is utterly stunning; aggressive, beautiful and layered with harmonic melancholy like never before. There is beauty here with slender moments of delicate hope enriched with violins and cello and the stunning voice of special guest Lindy-Fay Hella from Wardruna. And there is utter madness and anger with visceral death metal vocals lending a fearful edge to this dramatic opus. You will not be disappointed!! Cheers, Aaron.

Needless to say, his description makes me salivate, sounds absolutely amazing already...and I haven't heard a note! Also, glad to see I was wrong in the OP, Aaron's death growl will indeed make another appearance on this album - hell yeah! Can't go wrong with that (well...not unless it ends up being a "The Blood, The Wine, The Roses" situation, you know what I mean :lol:).

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:18 pm 

Spoiler: show

uh oh. the keyboard kid has grown a moustache. this can't be good...

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:27 pm 

oh i am fucking READY for this.

Also, Aaron looks fucking HORRID. Poor guy has been through hell with his family. Hope this is a cathartic and positive exercise for him.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:54 pm 

jimbies wrote:
Also, Aaron looks fucking HORRID. Poor guy has been through hell with his family. Hope this is a cathartic and positive exercise for him.

Not so bad, considering he was 50 last year. Except for the surprisingly short hair and random "no shoes" thing, that's more or less how I remember him looking. Gotta feel for the guy though.

Miikja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:03 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
random "no shoes" thing

Could be a studio thing. A proper studio mic will pick up everything that makes a sound. Or it's for comfort, studio days can be looong.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:46 pm 

in the civilized countries, no one wears shoes indoors :p

when's that Akelei EP out!? :)

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:27 am 

Miikja wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:
random "no shoes" thing

Could be a studio thing. A proper studio mic will pick up everything that makes a sound. Or it's for comfort, studio days can be looong.

I wouldn't wear pants in the studio if I could.

Hopefully this'll turn out well. I could really stand to check out more late era My Dying Bride.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:07 pm 

ShinyOx wrote:
I'm in the one of the few that absolutely loves 'Songs Of Darkness', but I do have the thing that is was my first My Dying Bride album.

I agree, it's by far my favourite, and was also my first of theirs. I prefer the melodic and hooky songwriting on that one. I'm very intrigued by a more concise and "commercial" MDB album, compared to an absolutely crushing and unwelcoming one.

TheLoneForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:54 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Miikja wrote:
gasmask_colostomy wrote:
random "no shoes" thing

I wouldn't wear pants in the studio if I could.

Hopefully this'll turn out well. I could really stand to check out more late era My Dying Bride.

You're not butt naked when you're recording? Weird

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:59 pm 

Songs of Darkness, Words of Light was actually my first too, in fact it was the first doom metal album I ever heard :lol:. Definitely has a unique atmosphere with a lot of variety in terms of songwriting - a great balance of goth, doom, and death metal. "Catherine Blake" in particular remains one of my all-time favorite MDB songs.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:00 am 

Songs of Darkness is great. My favourite is still "The Dreadful Hours", so when Songs of Darkness first came out, I was underwhelmed and disappointed. But since I've come back to it, I love it now.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:26 am 

Yeah, Songs of Darkness is great. Probably their best imho. Turn Loose the Swans and The Dreadful Hours are also great.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:31 am 

I am one of those who enjoys My Dying Bride's more accessible tunes--"The Songless Bird," "The Wreckage of My Flesh," "Two Winters Only," etc.--so the news that this new album will be going in that direction is, heh, music to my ears. Then again, I'm also like the only person on the planet who likes Evinta and "I Almost Loved You," so...

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:35 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Then again, I'm also like the only person on the planet who likes Evinta and "I Almost Loved You," so...

I know Evinta is pretty controversial but...there are people who don't like "I Almost Loved You"?!?!?

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:15 pm 

I dig Evinta and I live on this planet too ;)
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Reply to topic