Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Earthshine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:10 am 

Personally I live in Melbourne, Australia. It's interesting seeing which bands draw the biggest crowds.

Recently we've had Watain, Ensiferum and Anaal Nathrakh all play at the same venue. Different nights of course but they were all either a Friday or a Saturday. Without a doubt Watain had the biggest crowd. Ensiferum I think had the smallest, while Anaal Nathrakh was somewhere in the middle.

I think recently folk or somewhat gimmicky bands don't seem to be doing as well here, while more straightforward metal bands are selling more and having more enthusiastic crowds. I'm no expert, this is just my observation.

A few years ago Ensiferum, Turisas and Finntroll were all playing bigger venues here, but I guess that has changed. Korpiklaani are playing here in a few weeks, so I'm wondering how that will go.

What's your city like?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:51 am 

First one that came to mind was Devin Townsend. He does well here in Seattle, at least with the ones I saw him at. He's got the young demographic more than most metal bands, including ones that wouldn't even consider themselves metal fans. I remember once he toured with Katatonia and Paradise Lost (I know, very out of place) and his was jam-packed with screaming fans. Katatonia went on next and half the room cleared.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

HeavenDuff
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 2:51 pm 

Earthshine wrote:
I think recently folk or somewhat gimmicky bands don't seem to be doing as well here, while more straightforward metal bands are selling more and having more enthusiastic crowds. I'm no expert, this is just my observation.

Epic/melodic folk metal bands seem to struggle a little outside of Europe, regardless of if they are local or coming from outside and touring. I'm friends with the vocalist of Valfreya from Montreal, and she told me it's a little difficult to make a name for a band within that specific subgenre in Montreal.

Of course the well established bands from Europe within that genre have had more time to focus on their music since they can make a living in Europe, so it's easier for them to tour outside, but for a specific sub-genre scene to grow and have local bands really make a name for themselves might be harder. And at the same time, the bands from that sub-genre who tour here (or in Australia, like in your example) might bring in less fans and get less success than bands that play within a sub-genre that is doing well.

Right now in Quebec (and Canada, to an extent) we have a strong black metal scene and somewhat of a death metal scene growing. And bands that tour here who play these sub-genres of music get more success two. It's easier for them since there are festivals for them to play at and that will attract a lot of people, and they can count on local succesful bands to help them sell tickets.

Outside of these specific genres, I know that venues that booked Sonata Arctica were always sold out when they played in Montreal. Same thing for Nightwish at the end of the 00's (don't know about now). Arch Enemy are also pretty big here (regardless of how artistically stale they are) and Alyssa surely has something to do with it. She was already popular when she played with The Agonist, but now that she's a metal superstar, poser metal kids and mallcore gothic teenage girls are all over her.

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:07 pm 

Deafheaven does very well in Madison, Wisconsin. Most bands play Chicago and MAYBE Minneapolis, but generally skip over Wisconsin. But Deafheaven comes here seemingly every year, and I think they even played in both Milwaukee and Madison last year.

Baroness also does well here.

LycanthropeMoon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:36 pm 

D.R.I. have been to Eugene, Oregon several times and have had multiple sold out shows. They're at tiny venues of course, but still. That Black Dahlia Murder/Suffocation tour attracted a decent sized crowd. I'll be seeing Exmortus later this month and I expect a decent amount of people. Small metal bands come here a lot, but big name bands tend to skip over us - we got a Megadeth show and a Slayer show here though. I also managed to catch Primus and Clutch together here, which doesn't really qualify as metal I guess, but was still a pretty damn good show (and there were lots of folks with metal shirts and battle jackets in that crowd). I've seen more big name bands down in Portland than I have here. I find it odd that a decent amount of smaller, more DIY bands come here while the big bands skip us so much, but I do enjoy the intimacy of the shows.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:35 pm 

Stoner rock / doom / atmospheric sludge all seem to do really well here. Especially bands like Windhand, Om, Toke, and Inter Arma. Anything else that isn't a veteran band like Overkill or DRI seems to do pretty poorly.

Reply to topic