Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Petitioner
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:07 pm 

I'm many many months late to the party. I'm certain all of the hand wringing and onanism has been done to death on a thread long dead. However, I've just watched the said film and I thought they had some fantastic details down perfect.

The fit of Dead's denim shirt outside the band house, just like the footage.
The Euronymous foil sword shots
The horned hands from the Burzum demo covers in the end credits.
Varg's maps and memorabilia in the photoshoot

And shitloads more. I giggled so much watching it as I saw all of these things recreated. I thought for a film you can watch with someone completely unacquainted with the whole Norway BM thing, those dweebs who made this did a fantastic job.

It was quite good wasn't it, even with the Culkin kid sounding like Jonny Depp's Hunter S. Thompson throughout?

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:15 pm 

Petitioner wrote:
those dweebs who made this did a fantastic job.

You've seen this in another thread, the dweeb who made the film aka the director of the film with one of the main characters:

raumr wrote:
Here is Dead pictured with Quorthon. I don't know when this is, but it's probably Dead pre-Mayhem days. Quorthon to the far right. Sweden's metal community was small enough for encounters like that in the 80s. EDIT: According to pinterest, the guy to the left is (the now famous film director) Jonas Åkerlund. Also, the picture is from 1988, so Dead was playing in Morbid at the time.

Petitioner
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:17 pm 

No, I just watched the film tonight and have a few glasses of wine in me.

Peyp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:17 pm 

I don't think the film was that great, and I probably won't come back to it in a long time, but I love the attention to detail in this movie. The period-perfect T-shirts, the Burzum demo tape, the recreation of iconic photos, and even smaller things. For example, when Euronymous types up a press release for the Mayhem album, he misspells "length", just like the original flyer. I think the typewriter was even the same kind as the real Euronymous. Or when Burzum's debut comes in the mail, Varg complains about a misprint before Euronymous tells him he intentionally changed the name. It was also fun to see Helvete and all of the records there... I straight up shouted "GREAT CHOICE" when Varg picked up The Awakening. Once again, I don't think it was that good of a movie, but minuscule accuracies like those show just how much the project meant to Åkerlund.
Due to the unfortunate reality of our guitarist fucking my girlfriend of almost 7 years WITCHROT will be taking an extended hiatus. I however will continue the band in another space and time... Thanks for the support, stay heavy. Also our drummer died...

RIP DIAMHEA

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:22 am 

Glad to see but not surprised Akerlund paid attention to detail. One of the main complaints about the Motley Crue movie was how incredibly sloppy it was on details, getting all kinds of shit wrong. It kills the movie for people in the know.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:13 am 

I wound up watching ‘Until The Light Takes Us’ again this weekend (was showing it to someone who’d never seen it) and decided I needed to give this another watch sometime this week.

I haven’t watched it since the release but I thought it was funny and pretty well done. While I know a lot of metal heads didn’t like it because of it being less ‘serious’, I think Akerlund did a great job with telling the story and, to your point, a lot of these little things make it a cool watch for those of us who know the story well. I’ve always liked Akerlund as a director and, given his ties to the scene, he was obviously a great choice for this project.

While I know it’s no masterpiece, I dug it - and if you think of how long they worked on this, it seems as though this little black metal movie was one of the first to kick off the recent wave of rock biopics.

RattEurope
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:51 am 

traxan wrote:
Glad to see but not surprised Akerlund paid attention to detail. One of the main complaints about the Motley Crue movie was how incredibly sloppy it was on details, getting all kinds of shit wrong. It kills the movie for people in the know.

It was also impressive the way that they maintained a genuine story and avoided feature bloat. It must have been tempting to add all kinds of goofyness from Darkthrone, Immortal, and others (I don't even recall references to the alleged feuds between the Norwegian bands and Swedish/Finnish bands), but with the exception of Euronymous having a girlfriend for no reason they kept continuity pretty well.

Space_alligator
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:34 am 

Finally got around to watching it.

Thoroughly enjoyable movie. Few good laughs in it considering the "serious" nature it deals with (thats the duality of black metal really). The recreation of Helvete was some serious visual amazement. The records on the wall matching the photos perfect.

Bit of a shame Snore was a portreyed complete dumbass (may very well been the case though) and i felt that he should have been shown with more contribution to Mayhem, as opposed to Vargs submissive slave, but it is a movie. Also felt Faust just seemed to appear out if nowhere.

The 3 death scenes were incredibly confronting very hard to watch.

Overall, i think it done "the story" justice, im glad they focused on the black metal scene as a bunch of excitable teens with a deep passion for music and theatrics that was taken to odd extremes.

My wife who has pretty much zero interest in heavy metal enjoyed it too...

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:49 am 

Space_alligator wrote:
Bit of a shame Snore was a portreyed complete dumbass (may very well been the case though) and i felt that he should have been shown with more contribution to Mayhem, as opposed to Vargs submissive slave, but it is a movie. Also felt Faust just seemed to appear out if nowhere.

That is just how things are left in the book, which I've been reading for the first time this week. According to what is presented there, Snorre was unfortunate to get hit with the accomplice to murder charge, perhaps because he didn't even understand that Varg was going to do it. Faust also enters the story very abruptly.

Reply to topic