Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Osmiumthemetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:28 pm 

Quite a simple topic, title explains itself.

May be a bit of an odd choice, but I've always much preferred the way Iron Man sounds here than on Paranoid. I always find myself underwhelmed by the recorded version compared to this one.

Youtube: show

pressingtoplead13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:41 pm 

Often times it has more to do with the individual show where an artists might add to it and has different or better mixing/tuning than on an album. I'm not any song is always better live than on an album but in certain instances or shows its not all that uncommon. Often times artists will speed the song up or add loops for banter which I tend to like.

With that said people can complain that they aren't metal if they want but I've always enjoyed an appreciated Slipknot and their Disasterpieces performance of New Abortion is my favorite live recording maybe ever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9cc7XuVobU

With that said, not to totally hijack the thread but what are some peoples favorite live performers. Not in that they just sound good live but i mean put on a show. Talk to the crowd, make changes to songs live, get the crowd hyped, and just in general put on a good show. These don't have to be metal but I'm expecting considering the forum most to be.

at the gaytes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:05 pm 

Almost anything on Judas Priest early albums

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:07 pm 

I stand by the fact that Destruction's Live without sense is the correct way to experience their early material, their absolutely insane live playing and awesome sound makes the album version of the songs so incredibly tame

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:08 pm 

Pretty much everything that Iced Earth re-recorded on Days of Purgatory ended up sounding better on Alive in Athens anyway.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:17 pm 

There's a few Metallica songs that sound a bit stiff on record and benefit from a looser approach. "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and "Wherever I May Roam" come to mind.

"Fear of the Dark" is an obvious one, with the amazing crowd participation.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:18 pm 

Almost all the Dream Theater songs off the first three albums sounded way better live. Especially ''The Killing Hand''.

leatherandtrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:30 pm 

I firmly believe the Last Fair Deal Gone Down set of the Last Fair Day Gone Night DVD is vastly superior sounding to the original album. It's one of their best records but I feel Jonas's vocals have improved 10 fold since that recording.

Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:35 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
I stand by the fact that Destruction's Live without sense is the correct way to experience their early material, their absolutely insane live playing and awesome sound makes the album version of the songs so incredibly tame

I'm totally with you on that one.

Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:40 pm 

I don't think we should use "live albums" as a basis for comparison. Those are almost all totally fake.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:18 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
I don't think we should use "live albums" as a basis for comparison. Those are almost all totally fake.

What do you mean fake? What do you base this claim on?

leatherandtrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:32 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Temple Of Blood wrote:

I was kinda curious too. I mean if what I referenced is like the Kiss Alive album I retract my statement. But I've seen Katatonia 4 or 5 times and the quality is 100% comparable. I'm sure they clean some background noise out and shit but I doubt they punch in studio stuff. Like i said, if I'm wrong I'll own it, but I didn't think they were the type to "fake" a live recording.

Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:51 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Temple Of Blood wrote:

Lots of stories about live albums say that it was all re-recorded. In addition to tales of folks I have spoken to in "name" bands that have said their live releases were re-done and edited in the studio.

Not to mention that one can hear the difference.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:56 pm 

Iced Earth - Violate.

I heard the Alive in Athens version before the studio one and I was soooo disappointed by the album version. It all sounds so tame, no power, no bite. The double-bass drums part after the chorus sounds horrible with the weak drum sound on Dark Saga.
Fire walk with me"

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 5:52 pm 

Pretty much anything TSO has ever recorded. Their records are generally a bit weak, but you hear them live and it's massive.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:12 pm 

I'm no Cannibal Corpse expert, and this isn't about a Barnes vs. Fisher debate, but ....

Staring Through the Eyes of the Dead - Studio

Staring Through the Eyes of the Dead - Live

I heard the live version first, so maybe I'm just biased. But to me it sounds more powerful than the studio version (which is still good).

Leader_OCola
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:05 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
I'm no Cannibal Corpse expert, and this isn't about a Barnes vs. Fisher debate, but ....

Staring Through the Eyes of the Dead - Studio

Staring Through the Eyes of the Dead - Live

I heard the live version first, so maybe I'm just biased. But to me it sounds more powerful than the studio version (which is still good).

find the live version in some podunk club in SC (IIRC?) from around 94 with Barnes on vocals.

anyways

Teutonic Steel!

Miikja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:09 pm 

Scorpions - Big City Nights, a song made to play live in packed arenas. When I hear the studio version, I miss Klaus Meine shouting "Come on California, you keep me burning!" They've even used the recording from 'World Wide Live' for the official video so I guess the band agrees.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:11 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Lots of stories about live albums say that it was all re-recorded. In addition to tales of folks I have spoken to in "name" bands that have said their live releases were re-done and edited in the studio.

Gets called out on a ridiculous claim. Provides such evidence as "lots of stories" and "tales of folks" without bringing up a single actual example.

As much as I think the sound on Thy Mighty Contract fits, seeing modern RC play those tracks live is a whole new experience:

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:40 am 

Live albums were doctored up pretty often back when they were more relevant (Alive, Live and Dangerous, Unleashed in the East, etc.) but is it really that pervasive these days? Seeing how live footage is everywhere on YouTube and there's more emphasis on live DVDs than albums these days, I can't see how it would even be worthwhile to continue such practices. Aside from Alive in Athens, I can't think of any "classic" live albums from the last couple decades that are recommended over a band's studio material.

Vigintiseptem
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:49 am 

I love early Celtic Frost but the downtuned latter-day CF was even better, Into the Crypts of Rays especially.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:15 am 

Morbid Angel-Nevermore.

When this was released as a live advance track, it sounded promising. The "ooh ooh oooh ooh"s sounded like an interesting touch. The album version was noticeable shitter, with the vocal hamming it right up front, and it seems something Evil D is determined to continue (see Vltimas).

Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:30 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
Temple Of Blood wrote:

Gets called out on a ridiculous claim. Provides such evidence as "lots of stories" and "tales of folks" without bringing up a single actual example.

KISS Alive and Unleashed in the East were admitted to be heavily doctored in the studio. Those are two of the most popular live albums in metal history.

Compare the sound of "Return to the Apocalyptic City" (an actual live recording) to "Live at the Fillmore" (studio recording) and the difference is clear.

I can't share some of the other things people have told me about their "live recordings" because it was told in confidence.

Once you know what to listen for, it is very clear.

Of course if people go to this much trouble, do you think they would be likely to readily admit that the live albums are fake?

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:09 am 

Vigintiseptem wrote:
I love early Celtic Frost but the downtuned latter-day CF was even better, Into the Crypts of Rays especially.

Heresy! When they downtuned and turned their old stuff into Monotheist-esque tracks it was terrible.

Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash

Ace_Rimmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:49 am 

I have no issues with the idea that most live records are filled with studio overdubs for various reasons. Mostly I'm not that worked up over it. Maybe Unleashed in the East is heavily redone but fuck if I care, its still the definitive take on those early Priest cuts IMO.

I remember reading that the GnR live record was filled with tunes that were chopped together from tons of different shows, so one song may have parts from various shows. Don't care, still a fun listen.

Slayer claims that Decade is pure, and has a fuckup in the double bass solo in Angel that is obvious. But I rarely listen to it.

Lord_Jotun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:47 pm 

Iron Maiden - Afraid to Shoot Strangers: the live versions brim with a stirring epic quality that the album cut only hints at.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:30 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
I have no issues with the idea that most live records are filled with studio overdubs for various reasons. Mostly I'm not that worked up over it.

Me either, it's just not a legitimate comparison to an actual live performance though.

Quote:
Maybe Unleashed in the East is heavily redone but fuck if I care, its still the definitive take on those early Priest cuts IMO.

Couldn't agree more.

Quote:
Slayer claims that Decade is pure, and has a fuckup in the double bass solo in Angel that is obvious. But I rarely listen to it.

Yep, that one is real and I also never listen to it.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:37 pm 

One a lot of people probably aren't aware of is Saxon's The Eagle has Landed Part II - it presents a lot of songs from between Crusader and Dogs of War (alright, no one's favourite Saxon period but there were plenty of good songs) in an energetic manner with a great warm yet clear sound. Recommended if you're into Saxon.

Not metal, but UFO's Strangers in the Night certainly beats out any early UFO recording (although Lights Out is a fucking great album, too).

Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash

Diplomate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:10 pm 

Wintersun's Time I album comes to mind, I like Jari's singing and the guitars are better on the "live in studio" version. Plus seeing Jari sing is pretty epic.

I also really like this live version of Death in Fire by Amon Amarth, sounds way heavier, more aggressive and epic than album version:

Last edited by Diplomate on Tue May 14, 2019 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:29 pm 

Iron Maiden's "Hallowed Be Thy Name".

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:03 pm 

Alive in Athens is a fantastic live show, but most of the songs arent really AS good as the originals.

Until I listened to Pure Evil.
Fucking amazing song, Larry Tarnowski was so good.

Direnotes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:43 pm 

I saw Cryptopsy live. When they did their self-titled album with Matt McGachy - I have to say it was about 50x better live then when I actually heard the album afterwards.

Methuen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:10 am 

Miikja wrote:
Scorpions - Big City Nights, a song made to play live in packed arenas. When I hear the studio version, I miss Klaus Meine shouting "Come on California, you keep me burning!" They've even used the recording from 'World Wide Live' for the official video so I guess the band agrees.

Completely agree - I'm the same about missing him shouting in the studio version !

I caught 'Panama' live the other day, not sure what album it was off, but Van Halen were HEAVY live back in the day !

Gravetemplar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:57 am 

Blind Guardian - Valhalla. All live versions without Kai Hansen are better.

Not metal but live version of Swans' songs are really different and sometimes a lot better. Example:

Studio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUJpcTJ-obk

Live version of the beginning of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R31AWhv02Y

Another one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEguGPXg0IE

Headless420
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:35 am 

Seeing Wintersun, Jari's vocals are way more impressive in person. I was bummed not getting to see him play guitar, but his vocal performance was one of the best things ever. Hugely underrated vocalist. His songs and guitar playing get so much attention I think people forget how good his vocals are.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 3:55 am 

Examples that were always obvious to me are/were Reverend Bizarre's Doom Over the World and Cromwell. The former is clearly made out to be a live song and it is a rather silly affair even then, but works better then than on album. But Cromwell... I heard it countless times performed live prior to it actually getting recorded and released on Crush the Insects and it was such a disappointment then. Stripped out of all energy and vigor, it merely plods along. When performed live it was always so full of energy and inspiration.

Another instance is Iron Maiden's self-titled song. While the song is more fit for Di'Anno's vocals and the band is getting on with age nowadays, back in the late-90s and 00s, at times they would inject so much energy and speed into that song that it really shone out during their set. A particularly vigorous performance was at the Olympic Stadium in Helsinki in 2005. This was the first time they had a VIP pit in the front of the stage so we had to stay way back away from the stage, but even so, this song caught me with its energy.

Yet another one is basically anything Saint Vitus perform on regular basis. Just such a band that they bring so much energy to a live performance and to their songs that they're much better then. Manilla Road was a similar band as well as was Pagan Altar though the former suffered a bit from the fact that they only used one guitar while featuring solos very prominently in their songs so those sections always end up sounding somewhat hollow.

Runko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:17 am 

The first one that came to mind:

The studio version doesn't even come close.

Braltika
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:15 am 

I think this live version of Gojira's 'A Sight to Behold' surpasses the studio recording on every level.

Live: https://youtu.be/LL-WMczrt1w
Studio: https://youtu.be/NG1uNbqRVlA

Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:20 am 

Danzig - Sistinas

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:05 am 

Anything by Motorhead, especially "No Sleep.." compared to the studio versions.

Also, Armored Saint. I remember when Raising Fear came out and being thoroughly unimpressed. A year later came a live album and I was floored. The improvement was beyond night and day. I couldn't believe it was the same band. Wish it was on YouTube.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next