Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
metljoe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:00 pm 

I'd say one of the weirdest and most extreme shifts was by The Showdown. Their first album is a blend of melodeath and metalcore with some impressive musicianship. On their second album they switched to a mainstream rock style that sounded like a ripoff of the Load/ReLoad albums. Then with their third album they switched a hardcore punk-influenced style of thrash. Talk about crazy and random shifts.

Direnotes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:10 pm 

true_death wrote:
Atrocity from Germany have probably the weirdest career trajectory ever. They started out as grindcore on the demos and first EP, changed to tech death for the first two albums, then on the third album changed into a weird mix of groove metal and vampire-themed gothic shit. After that, they put out a folk record, and then an industrial record, and then an 80's pop cover record. These days, I'm pretty sure they are back to a more or less death metal sound.

I met Alex from Atrocity a while back while he was touring with his now ex-wife. He wasn't a fan of a lot of the genre change stuff and whenever I asked him about it, as I was interviewing him and Liv for a previous magazine, he just would pass it off as 'that was Liv's thing.' He could barely keep track of the names of his previous releases.

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:10 pm 

While Bathory's early black metal versus their later Viking/doom/classical heavy metal is a pretty drastic difference, both of them sound excellent (albeit quite different.) So yes; while it was drastic, it was not as unpalatable as (for example) going from influential D-beat hardcore punk (or early black/death metal) to bad glam rock, or death metal to bad emo pop.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:12 am 

Direnotes wrote:
true_death wrote:
Atrocity from Germany have probably the weirdest career trajectory ever. They started out as grindcore on the demos and first EP, changed to tech death for the first two albums, then on the third album changed into a weird mix of groove metal and vampire-themed gothic shit. After that, they put out a folk record, and then an industrial record, and then an 80's pop cover record. These days, I'm pretty sure they are back to a more or less death metal sound.

I met Alex from Atrocity a while back while he was touring with his now ex-wife. He wasn't a fan of a lot of the genre change stuff and whenever I asked him about it, as I was interviewing him and Liv for a previous magazine, he just would pass it off as 'that was Liv's thing.' He could barely keep track of the names of his previous releases.

Liv's thing? He changed genres in 94. He married her in 2003. Maybe he dislikes it now but a lot of that shit is on him for doing it. I can imagine that he might try covering up what really happened. I don't blame him, that 90s era starting with Blut is a cesspool.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:15 pm 

I would say Scorpions, from Lonesome Crow (1972) to Fly to the Rainbow (1974)

Lonesome Crow is a collection of acid-jazz fueled and obscure rock gems, with electricity crepitating on each track. The only acoustic guitars are in the vein of Sabbath's "Sleeping Village", and echoes of "Rat Salad" and "Wicked World" can be heard throughout, along other possible influences, including some German ones that I can't name. Soundscapes contribute to a desolate atmosphere at the beginning of "Leave Me" and of the title track.

Fly to the Rainbow, two years later, is a different story. One would expect that 60% of the band members coming from another band, Dawn Road, there would be Dawn Road songs, and Lonesome Crow style songs. But hendrixian Roth/Dawn Road songs aside, such as "Drifting Sun" and possibly the first and third thirth of "Fly to the Rainbow", 5 songs out of 7 were written solely by Lonesome Crow-era members (Meine and both Schenkers). Yet among those 5 are the most radically different songs from the previous record. "Speedy's Coming" has nothing to do with Lonesome Crow. "Far Away" couldn't be further from the atmosphere on Loneseome Crow, though it also uses choir vocals. The title track is multi-part, just like Lonesome Crow, but again is totally in a different genre, and with organ. "They Need a Million" with its Spanish progression is in a clear departure with anything on Lonesome Crow, though the use again of choir vocals and the non-subtle switch from acoustic to electric guitar may remotely link it to the previous album.

Scorpions shifted styles again in their career, Lovedrive being an obvious such moment, and the rest being the result of gradual changes, but in retrospect, nothing like this earlier 1972/1974 shift.
----
About Atrocity.. indeed, that band changed styles so often they should call themselves Chameleon. However one should note they never put out a folk record. The two "folkish" songs on B.L.U.T. were isolated and put on a special album with Alex's sister. At the same time they took other songs from B.L.U.T. and reworked them with Das Ich, an EBM band. Both collaborations (folk and EBM) came out in the same year (1995), which is more schizophrenia than anything else. The follow-up to B.L.U.T., Willenskraft (1996), was otherwise not radically different from B.L.U.T.

The big shift happened with Werk 80 (1997), an album of new wave covers, a full Atrocity album, not a collaboration. After that.. well.. it's been really hard to follow, erratic to say the least.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:24 am 

Youtube: show

I think this one qualifies for the topic.

bebseget
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:30 am 

Bulldozer

then

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:24 pm 

MorbidEngel wrote:
Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
The one shift that sticks out, even though it was gradual, has to be In Flames. It's absolutely insane that they went from unbelievably good to absolutely fucking god awful. Just a total shame.

That doesn't sound like a genre shift

Then you haven't listened to them, clearly. The shift is so obvious as to be not even worth pointing out.

Runko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:25 am 

metljoe wrote:
I'd say one of the weirdest and most extreme shifts was by The Showdown. Their first album is a blend of melodeath and metalcore with some impressive musicianship. On their second album they switched to a mainstream rock style that sounded like a ripoff of the Load/ReLoad albums. Then with their third album they switched a hardcore punk-influenced style of thrash. Talk about crazy and random shifts.

Just skimmed through all of their albums and they all sound the same. Is there more than one The Showdown?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3