Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:40 pm 

Semblant just announced its first album in 5 years, "Obscura," for release this year. When, they did not say.

Youtube: show

For the unfamiliar, Semblant are a Brazilian Epica-style band doing the typical beauty and the beast style vocals of symphonic metal. The beauty part comes from a near 6' tall half-Chinese/half-Brazilian singer named Mizuho Lin who IMO is on par vocally with Floor Jansen. Mizuho also worked with Warrel Dane, performing DNB live with him and appearing on his solo album.

Does anyone care about the beast part? :)

They like to call their style "vampire metal." Only thing missing from this video is Kate Beckinsale in her Selena getup.

Youtube: show

LycanthropeMoon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:32 pm 

They don't sound quite as progressive as Epica, though I suppose I can hear the influence. I hear some Lacuna Coil in there too, though they're certainly heavier than LC if that song's anything to go by. I feel like if this came out in 2005 (when I was at my angstiest and listening to lots of Nightwish and Within Temptation), I'd be all over it. I might check out their last album.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:32 am 

Quote:
Does anyone care about the beast part? :)

You said it. The exact reason I despise these kind of "look, we have a hot girl in vocals" type of bands. It's like, people don't care about the music at all, which is honestly, flawed, boring and completely pointless. At least epica and similar have (or used to have) some merit music-wise.
Also: "vampire metal", wow, how original... :roll:

Reply to topic