* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:15 am 

Quote:
THE LORD WEIRD SLOUGH FEG Returns With First Album In Five Years, ‘New Organon’

“I didn’t want to just ‘put out another album,’” begins Slough Feg vocalist/guitarist Mike Scalzi. “I remember telling people that I didn’t want to do another album just to do another album, like so often happens. So, we wrote a lot of songs and only picked the best ones.”

Such was the approach for SLOUGH FEG’s long-awaited tenth studio album, “New Organon”, which will see the light of day via Cruz Del Sur Music on June 14 in European territories and June 21 in North America. “New Organon” also marks the recording debut of drummer Jeff Griffin (who split studio duties with John Dust) and joins Scalzi and longtime members Angelo Tringali (guitar) and Adrian Maestas (bass).

“New Organon” is another definitive statement from one of America’s most enduring and unique true metal bands, whose penchant for THIN LIZZY-inspired guitar harmonies and Scalzi’s timeless storytelling has turned albums such as 2005’s “Atavism”, 2007’s “Hardworlder” and 2010’s “The Animal Spirits” into proto-metal bedrocks.

Since the release of 2014’s “Digital Resistance”, SLOUGH FEG did three touring jaunts through Europe in addition to some shorter American runs, not to mention the release of the “New Organon” seven-inch, which was issued last year. Scalzi freely admits that real life has gotten in the way of SLOUGH FEG making a new LP. That, and his desire to make sure the band still sounds fresh after nine studio albums. “A lot of stuff ended up on the cutting room floor,” he says. “There were some songs we tried to work out for months but ended up dropping because they bored us. We have to be excited about new songs or there’s no point in recording them. We dropped several songs I came up with and some that the other guys came up with, too. It’s tough, but sometimes you have to be honest with yourself and the people in your band and move on when an idea is not working. So, we came up with a lot of song ideas and only kept the ones that sounded exciting for months.”

In true SLOUGH FEG tradition, there is a strong theme running throughout “New Organon”, which was inspired by the 1620 book published by Francis Bacon of the same name. “It presents a new version of the scientific method, as originally presented by Aristotle 2,000 years earlier,” notes Scalzi, who is also a philosophy professor at a college in California. “According to Bacon and others, the science method had remained stagnant for this long period, through the middle ages and renaissance, and needed a refresher. ‘Organon’ refers to a scientific ‘instrument’ or more literally, ‘organ.’ So, it represents a new method for scientific revolution. The songs are all basically about philosophy—from my lecture notes! It starts out talking about primitive tribal society like shamanism as the first philosophers and then proceeds though the pre-Socratics era and then Plato, Aristotle, medieval catholic theology, enlightenment and then existentialist philosophy — mostly in chronological order.”

Fans of the band’s early output when they went under the extended name of THE LORD WEIRD SLOUGH FEG will no doubt be enthused for what’s in store on “New Organon”. The album has a more natural, if not “rustic” feel to it, recalling the band’s halcyon “Twilight Of The Idols” and “Down Among The Deadmen” era. “Very simply, the songs are more heavy, rough and produced rawer than the last album or two,” says Scalzi. “The themes are not about technology, but about ancient philosophy and science. It’s just more metal, but in a very primitive way — but that’s sort of our specialty anyway.”

Around the release date of “New Organon”, SLOUGH FEG will be trekking across the United States with labelmates Sanhedrin. “We’ll be doing ten shows on the east coast in late May/early June, right about the time when the album comes out, including New York, Boston, Baltimore and Pittsburgh,” says Scalzi. “In early August, SANHEDRIN is going to come out we’ll do another run with them up and down the west coast.”

“New Organon” track listing:

1. Headhunter
2. Discourse on Equality
3. The Apology
4. Being and Nothingness
5. New Organon
6. Sword of Machiavelli
7. Uncanny
8. Coming of Age in the Milky Way
9. Exegesis/Tragic Hooligan
10. The Cynic

SLOUGH FEG/SANHEDRIN tour dates:

May 30 - Baltimore, MD, Metro Gallery
May 31- Brooklyn, NY, Saint Vitus
June 1- Montreal, QC, Bar LeRitz
June 2 - Ottawa, ON, Mavericks
June 3 - Toronto, ON, Velvet Underground
June 4 - Pittsburgh, PA, Spirit
June 5 - Detroit, MI, Sanctuary
June 6 - Cleveland, OH, Now That’s Class
June 7 - Philadelphia, PA, Kung Fu Necktie
June 8 - Boston, MA, Middle East

One of the best bands around so I'm fucking stoked. Rawer and more rustic sounds like a good change. Awesome song titles.

Last edited by Empyreal on Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:12 am 

Is there a preorder?

Dustroy_Troly
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:15 am 

They went back to the longer version of the name? Everything about this sounds awesome. Couldn't be more excited. One of my favorite bands ever and they've never released a bad album. There's no chance that will change with this one.

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:17 am 

I've been waiting for this announcement. I can't wait to hear a track! It sounds like a good change, though I did enjoy the last few albums too.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:19 am 

The longer version of the name being used does seem to go along with their statement that it's more like Twilight or DATD. Most bands saying stuff like that, I'd be skeptical, but Mike seems self-aware and like he wouldn't bullshit us about that - and Slough Feg isn't the kind of band that needs to hype up a 'return to form' since plenty of people like their new stuff too (I'm one of them) and it's not like they have to put out albums to pay their rent. The statement about how they worked longer on this on purpose and didn't want to just put out any old album for the hell of it is encouraging too, and more bands should do that. So all in all I'm real excited about this when I take all of it into account.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:05 pm 

Looking forward to this. Love the simple, screen print-looking design and the colour. Kinda Paul Chain, would buy the shirt. I think them leaving the album in the oven a little longer (and the move back to Cruz Del Sur) will be good for them!
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:33 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:50 pm 

Sounds like they're ready for another great album instead of the lukewarm one prior to this. The new single that came out last summer was cool, too.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:54 pm 

I still think "Analog Avengers" and "Habeas Corpsus" off the last album are seriously among their best ever songs.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:59 pm 

Oh hey, I was just wondering when Slough Feg would come back from the dead. They have yet to put out a bad album, if you ask me.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:58 pm 

Their last one wasn't exactly my favourite, but it's good as fuck, and of course their discography is legendary at this point. Extremely pumped up for this.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:07 pm 

Wonder how much it would cost to rent an airbnb in toronto...

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:15 pm 

Really interested to hear this when it is out. Slough Feg have never released a downright worthless album in my opinion, and while there are definite dips in quality, I'd say every release has more positive aspects than negative. The use of the longer name, and description really gets me going. I like Slough Feg when they're at their most primal. The debut will probably always remain my favorite of theirs.

The Animator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:01 pm 

Been waiting for this one, the last one was good, but I'm hoping this one will be better.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:22 am 

some people already got promos and have said worrying things about it but still gotta hear it for myself.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:06 pm 

There was a lot of negativity about Digital Resistance if I remember correctly, but I really got a kick out of it. Not perfectly hard charging and compact like The Animal Spirits, but a whole new beast with some real gems.

I'm looking forward to New Organon even though Scalzi's thesis makes me want to vomit. So smarmy.

Thank you!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:10 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I'm looking forward to New Organon even though Scalzi's thesis makes me want to vomit. So smarmy.

I enjoy that kind of stuff from musicians. Makes me think some real thought went into it. I wouldn't be as excited if it was just another "this is our heaviest and most brutal one yet!" type of thing. I dig hearing what the actual inspiration or whatever was.

Slough Feg has just now entered the ranks of bands with enough output for people to disparage any new material via comparison to classics. Probably gonna happen with anything they do now.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:35 am 

I'm a big fan of philosophy, so this sounds good to me! Hopefully it's good, I'm totally down for a return to their earlier more heavy metal stuff rather than the 70s hard rock influenced proto-metal albums. Down Among the Deadmen is still their best IMO.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:17 am 

The title track I heard didn't sound that different from their last album really, albeit with slightly more emphasis on riffs. I guess the rest must sound different.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:20 pm 

https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2019/05 ... g.facebook

New song here... this sounds much better than the muffled demo/single version that I previously heard.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:32 pm 

It's quirky and odd. As it should be. This hype train has no brakes.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:29 am 

Nahsil wrote:
I'm totally down for a return to their earlier more heavy metal stuff rather than the 70s hard rock influenced proto-metal albums.

To be fair that's still probably the chief influence here, but tracks like Uncanny and Being and Nothingness are the heaviest they've been in a long while.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:46 pm 

Proto-metal? Lol.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:23 pm 

While I like a lot of songs off other records nothing has ever grabbed me like Traveller did. Fuck that is a great record.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:28 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
Proto-metal? Lol.

I dunno. I thought the last few had a more rockish 70's metal vibe to them compared to the early stuff.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:45 am 

http://theobelisk.net/obelisk/2019/05/2 ... -premiere/

New track here - well it's a really old song of theirs that they have re-done, according to the super primal version I have on my version of their old debut album. Sounding pretty damn good here. Much more clarity now, obviously. Sweet guitar tone and Scalzi has really come into a groove these last few albums.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:10 am 

Empyreal wrote:
http://theobelisk.net/obelisk/2019/05/24/the-lord-weird-slough-feg-new-organon-review-track-premiere/

New track here - well it's a really old song of theirs that they have re-done, according to the super primal version I have on my version of their old debut album. Sounding pretty damn good here. Much more clarity now, obviously. Sweet guitar tone and Scalzi has really come into a groove these last few albums.

Oh shit, I had no idea they were re-recording "Headhunter."

...Guess I should've looked at the tracklist earlier...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:16 pm 

Fuck I didn't even know Headhunter was an old track. Guess that explains why it sounded like it could've been from the classic era :lol:
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:21 pm 

They really changed the tone of it - the version on the debut album is slower and plodding and sloppy (in a good way), and this is an upbeat rocker fit to be an opening song for the album. Just an update for their current style I guess.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:19 pm 

Stoked to finally see them this weekend with the excellent Sanhedrin. I'll try to refrain myself from showing my Traveller tattoo to everyone!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:09 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Stoked to finally see them this weekend with the excellent Sanhedrin. I'll try to refrain myself from showing my Traveller tattoo to everyone!

If it don't have the vargr on it, it ain't worth showing off. :V

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:11 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

Bro, it's literally the album cover.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:32 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

Bro, it's literally the album cover.

Huh, so it is. I was remembering something else on the cover, I guess.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:07 pm 

It was 50/50 - Tony could've gotten the back of the CD with the track list as a tattoo, you never know.

wednesdaysixx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:49 am 

As established Slough Feg fans, would this album be a good intro to them? Another band where I’ve heard bits and pieces and liked everything but never really gone too far to get into them. That Headhunter on this new album sounds really good though.

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:07 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:42 pm 

wednesdaysixx wrote:
As established Slough Feg fans, would this album be a good intro to them? Another band where I’ve heard bits and pieces and liked everything but never really gone too far to get into them. That Headhunter on this new album sounds really good though.

You should probably start with Twilight of the Idols, Down Among the Deadmen or Traveller; those are their best known and liked ones and for good reason.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:24 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
wednesdaysixx wrote:

You should probably start with Twilight of the Idols, Down Among the Deadmen or Traveller; those are their best known and liked ones and for good reason.

Nix this--you can start with anything, even their super-scratchy debut. They've done no wrong, as far as I'm concerned.

I also really like Hardworlder and Ape Uprising, even though nobody else does. >w>

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:31 pm 

Yeah all their albums are at least decent (Atavism being the worst one really and even that has a few killer songs). But even Mike Scalzi admits he tried harder on those early classics than anything else after.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:22 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Atavism being the worst one really

That's the one I listen to most, haha. This band has something for everybody I suppose.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next