Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:43 am 

According to some comments made by Burton almost one year ago new songs were even stronger the ones contained in Genexus. Theoretically it was scheduled a new album to be released during summer 2017 but it never happened. Now I have seen on several websites that both Burton and Dino are working on solo albums. Dino has been asked in several interviews about FF´s new album, but he only answers "no news about it" and speaks about his upcoming solo album.

I guess there can be some problems again between these two guys. Anyone has some info about it? it would be a pity because Genexus was their best one since Archetype.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:00 am 

It doesn't sound like there are problems to me. It sounds like they want to promote their solo stuff rather than talk about FF. Most likely, the solo stuff is on a different label and they may have contract stipulations that keep them from promoting FF while promoting their solo material...just my guess.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:23 am 

I don't really have anything to add besides that I really wish Raymond was back in the band. One of my favourite drummers ever.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:40 am 

Honestly, I'd be okay with them breaking up and not releasing anything else. They've been on a streak of releasing a good album and then following it up with a disappointing album for ages, so if that stays true, the next album they release would be another disappointing one. I think most people would agree their best albums after Demanufacture would be Obsolete, Archetype, Mechanize, and Genexus. The albums in between them are just not as strong, for one reason or another. Genexus certainly wasn't their best album, but at least they'd go out on somewhat of a high note.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:47 am 

There definitely are problems, Christian Olde Wolbers actually announced the band's breakup last May: http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-ne ... -broken-up.

Obviously he's not in the band anymore, but he's been trying to put together a reunion over the last couple years. Of course the breakup was never made official by Dino or Burton, and given Dino's recent attitude ("there's nothing going on, so stop fucking asking me about it") it's abundantly clear that something behind the scenes is amiss.

Temple Of Blood
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:58 am 

Probably just money problems. Same reason Gene Hoglan was let go.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:19 am 

true_death wrote:
There definitely are problems, Christian Olde Wolbers actually announced the band's breakup last May: http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-ne ... -broken-up.

Obviously he's not in the band anymore, but he's been trying to put together a reunion over the last couple years. Of course the breakup was never made official by Dino or Burton, and given Dino's recent attitude ("there's nothing going on, so stop fucking asking me about it") it's abundantly clear that something behind the scenes is amiss.

So we are to take the word of a guy who's been out of the band for 9 years? I think I'll wait for an official band announcement before I conclude there are any problems.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:43 am 

fourrobert13 wrote:
true_death wrote:

So we are to take the word of a guy who's been out of the band for 9 years? I think I'll wait for an official band announcement before I conclude there are any problems.

I agree that you shouldn't really believe anything prior to an official announcement, but sometimes old members are on to something, as they are filled in due to contractual / financial agreements, even if they aren't actively part of the band.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:04 pm 

Speculate if you must, but there has been no indication of problems. Relying on a year old article and someone not in the band is hardly creditable sources. Factor in that the former member deleted that social media post shortly after posting it.

Quote:
On May 7, 2017, Wolbers posted a blank picture on his Instagram (which was later deleted), claiming that Fear Factory had broken up. Later that day, Cazares was asked via Twitter if they were still together, and his response was, "Not sure why your asking that and rant by who?".

If they have solo projects going on, these guys are under contract to promote said solo project and not FF. This makes more sense to me than they are having problems. Yes, there was talk of a new album for 2017, but I think these solo projects probably derailed those plans. Think whatever you want, but there hasn't been any indications they are having problems or breaking up that I've seen or read that have come from any current members of the band.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:30 pm 

It’s probably a result of timing and scheduling more than anything else. Dino and Burt each wanted to get around to their own solo albums eventually for a while, Tony was always still with Ministry even when he joined and they had a new album to write and record last year and now promote, and Malignancy is always out on the road which keeps Mike occupied. Getting and keeping everyone involved for a new Fear Factory album and tour would’ve been near impossible and no, bringing back Christian and Raymond probably wasn’t ever honestly considered.

I’m not saying that particular bridge is completely burned because who knows anything for sure, but it doesn’t look like there’s been any hurry to fix it.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:27 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:

No "problems". Gene just wanted more than they were willing or able to pay. This is no different than any other job at the end of the day.

Anyway, FF is doing just fine from what I've been hearing in Burton and Dino's camps.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:04 pm 

ModusOperandi wrote:
It’s probably a result of timing and scheduling more than anything else. Dino and Burt each wanted to get around to their own solo albums eventually for a while, Tony was always still with Ministry even when he joined and they had a new album to write and record last year and now promote, and Malignancy is always out on the road which keeps Mike occupied. Getting and keeping everyone involved for a new Fear Factory album and tour would’ve been near impossible and no, bringing back Christian and Raymond probably wasn’t ever honestly considered.

I’m not saying that particular bridge is completely burned because who knows anything for sure, but it doesn’t look like there’s been any hurry to fix it.

Malignancy has never been an issue because a). they tour like once or twice a year and mostly just do fests and regional one-offs and b). they've had Alex Cohen as their official live session drummer for whenever Mike can't make it for six years. Asesino is also back in action and I'm pretty sure that Tony is still a part of that, so it's not like Tony and Dino are only working together in FF.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:48 am 

rexxz wrote:
Temple Of Blood wrote:

No "problems". Gene just wanted more than they were willing or able to pay. This is no different than any other job at the end of the day.

Anyway, FF is doing just fine from what I've been hearing in Burton and Dino's camps.

Gene also said that he hounded the band about scheduling the drum sessions for what would become The Industrialist for a while, and only found out about the album (and its programmed drums) when it was released, and that's when he fully peaced out. He's said before too that he never really wanted to play in FF in the first place, and only took the gig as a favor to Byron Stroud. He said he gave FF a discounted rate for his services for the first album he did with them, but said they'd hafta pay him his normal fee upon the second album. Then they did the programmed drums thing without telling him, and it went from there.

So yeah, it was both a mixture of money wants/needs on both sides of the equation, plus Gene not really wanting the gig at all. I'm sure he's a hell of a lot happier doing Testament anyway.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Temple Of Blood
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:44 am 

Why assume he's happier in Testament? He said he was a fan of FF in the past before he was even in the band and said he didn't like Testament in the 80s when he was playing in Dark Angel. He played on Demonic as a personal favor and quickly bowed out before doing any shows. He's doing it now strictly for the money, and FF used a drum machine because they couldn't pay Hoglan's salary. Now they've found a talented cheaper drummer.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:34 am 

Subrick wrote:
Gene also said that he hounded the band about scheduling the drum sessions for what would become The Industrialist for a while, and only found out about the album (and its programmed drums) when it was released, and that's when he fully peaced out. He's said before too that he never really wanted to play in FF in the first place, and only took the gig as a favor to Byron Stroud. He said he gave FF a discounted rate for his services for the first album he did with them, but said they'd hafta pay him his normal fee upon the second album. Then they did the programmed drums thing without telling him, and it went from there.

That's sad. :ugh:

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:37 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Subrick wrote:

That's sad. :ugh:

Its better to have a good drumer who is truly interested in the band rather than a mercenary.

The way Dino asked to some questions made me think there is something. To say "I have no news about an upcoming FF album" sounds pretty weird coming from the main compositor, if you ask me.

It be nothing, which I prefer obviously but it sounds extrange.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:29 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
The way Dino asked to some questions made me think there is something. To say "I have no news about an upcoming FF album" sounds pretty weird coming from the main compositor, if you ask me.

It's. Anyway, it was strange too how the Fear Factory drama ended (?).

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:46 pm 

Hmm... doesn't sound promising.

Quote:
How about you, Burton? Can we clear up what’s been going on with Fear Factory?

Burton: I don’t want to talk about. Not at all.

http://www.metalinjection.net/interviews/interview-ministry-guitarist-fear-factory-vocalist-amerikkkant

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:16 am 

lordcatfish wrote:
Hmm... doesn't sound promising.

Quote:
How about you, Burton? Can we clear up what’s been going on with Fear Factory?

Burton: I don’t want to talk about. Not at all.

http://www.metalinjection.net/interviews/interview-ministry-guitarist-fear-factory-vocalist-amerikkkant

The funny thing is that Burton announced that the new album is called "Monolith, he even shared the album´s front cover(which I find great), but Dino said he had no idea about the supposed new work. What are they playing???

https://metalinjection.net/latest-news/drama/fear-factory-vocalist-announces-new-album-title-guitarist-disagrees

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:59 am 

Please, not another Batushka...
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:19 am 

I think the issue is legal wrangles. Word is Ray / Christian sued Burt / Dino and won. Dino (and possibly Burt) have gone bankrupt. Dino is likely being non committal until it's all resolved.

wednesdaysixx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:02 am 

Even though the only album I ever bought was The Industrialist, I saw them at Bloodstock 2016 and despite getting a chuckle out of Burton’s clean vocals, they were alright. But I respect the band and know how they’re viewed by bands I like much more (e.g. Ministry) so hopefully things work out here. But all this back and forth and these noncommittal answers could be concerning, or it could be just lack of communication behind the scenes.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:49 pm 

At this point, this band doesn't really need to exist. They've put out their classics. Is there really anything to add?

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:38 pm 

schizoid wrote:
At this point, this band doesn't really need to exist. They've put out their classics. Is there really anything to add?

Vehemently disagree. I've enjoy just about everything they've done, and their last three albums after Dino's comeback have been stellar. I absolutely, 100% want them to keep going.

Temple Of Blood
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:05 pm 

schizoid wrote:

This is true for pretty much every metal band.

Temple Of Blood
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:06 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:
I think the issue is legal wrangles. Word is Ray / Christian sued Burt / Dino and won.

I wonder how, unless Christian wrote songs he didn't receive royalties for.

Otherwise, if you quit a band or get fired, that's just too bad legally speaking.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:00 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
lordcatfish wrote:
I think the issue is legal wrangles. Word is Ray / Christian sued Burt / Dino and won.

I wonder how, unless Christian wrote songs he didn't receive royalties for.

Otherwise, if you quit a band or get fired, that's just too bad legally speaking.

The weird thing is that this has happened years after Christian and Raymond were out of the band. I could have understood this in 2010 but in 2017?

Anyway, Dino´s reaction is also strange, he could simply say "we have some legal issues so the album cannot be released yet".

cultofkraken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:39 am 

rexxz wrote:
schizoid wrote:

Vehemently disagree. I've enjoy just about everything they've done, and their last three albums after Dino's comeback have been stellar. I absolutely, 100% want them to keep going.

Agreed. The last album was one of their strongest releases.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:31 am 

Christian and Raymond could very well still own shares in the partnership/LLC/corporation that runs Fear Factory’s business.

It’s not unheard of at all in bands at this level for people to not be in a band but still retain ownership shares in the band’s company/companies (I believe this is the case with Mike Portnoy/Dream Theater as well, for one example).

Quitting/being removed from a band doesn’t necessarily mean you legally lose ones shares in the band’s business organization(s)-an agreement would have to be made to be bought out.

Purely speculative, but this could be the case here.

Business partners sue business partners all the time.
Obliteration

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:49 am 

IIRC Dino mentioned still having a 25% stake in FF when he got the boot in the early 00s, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same with Ray and Christian. I've also seen mention of Candlelight Records being involved in the legal action (they were involved with Mechanize), so it may have to do with royalties / issues from post 2009 material and activity.

I read around this on the Fear Factory Reddit page. It doesn't really go into the details, but it mentioned Dino being bankrupt long before he confirmed it himself on twitter, so I tend to believe it

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:30 am 

rexxz wrote:
schizoid wrote:

I agree. Mechanize is actually now my favourite album from them.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:05 am 

MikeyC wrote:
rexxz wrote:
schizoid wrote:

I also agree that last albums are pretty good, especially the last one. I still miss those cinematic and futuristic keys of the old albums and more darkness but apart from this aspect the last works are fine.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:07 am 

lordcatfish wrote:
IIRC Dino mentioned still having a 25% stake in FF when he got the boot in the early 00s, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same with Ray and Christian. I've also seen mention of Candlelight Records being involved in the legal action (they were involved with Mechanize), so it may have to do with royalties / issues from post 2009 material and activity.

I read around this on the Fear Factory Reddit page. It doesn't really go into the details, but it mentioned Dino being bankrupt long before he confirmed it himself on twitter, so I tend to believe it

This could make sense because those legal problems with Raymond and Christian should have started years before 2017.

InnesI
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:03 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
I also agree that last albums are pretty good, especially the last one. I still miss those cinematic and futuristic keys of the old albums and more darkness but apart from this aspect the last works are fine.

Fear Factory was hugely important to me in my formative years starting to listen to extreme metal. But it was mainly Demanufacture that grabbed my attention (the following two releases didn't grab me at the time). I had given up on the band, or forgotten about them, from about 2000 until the release of Mechanize. I wasn't excited but I gave it a chance and I loved it! Fantastic album. Since then I haven't heard anything more though but man did Mechanize surprise me.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:36 am 

I keep returning to this band and really like the music, but every friggin time I put one of their albums on I end up turning it off after 4-5 songs. Why? Bell's clean vocals drives me bonkers. It's the same fucking vocal melody album after album. When I hear a song for the first time I know how the chorus will sound at the start of the verse.
I hope they get all the problems sorted out and release something soon. I would love for some producer to really take Bell by the ear and talk some sense into him, and tell him to stop being so lazy and start being creative.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:18 am 

MikeyC wrote:
rexxz wrote:
schizoid wrote:

Mechanize is absolutely sick. It might be my favorite after Demanufacture.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:21 am 

matras wrote:
Bell's clean vocals drives me bonkers. It's the same fucking vocal melody album after album. When I hear a song for the first time I know how the chorus will sound at the start of the verse

You must be an advanced music listener. I don't get that at all from Burton's clean vocals. All the choruses have a unique identity. His voice might sound the same, but that's because it's his voice. How's it supposed to sound?

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:18 pm 

It was hyperbole on my part sure; not exactly the same, but damn close. He's using the same schtick and note progressions over and over again.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:20 pm 

Nah, he has a style and that's what you're picking up on. It isn't some "schtick" or using the same "note progressions" (what does that even mean? melodies? chord progressions? be more accurate). You could say that about literally any artist that has some kind of recognizable style or unique idiosyncrasies about them; it's too reductive of a criticism.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:34 pm 

Sure, fair enough. I love the music and his vocals, but the cleans just sound same-y in every song after a couple of them.
Anyways; hope they get the mess sorted out and get to release the album soon.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next