Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
jimbies
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:52 pm
Posts: 1202
Location: Ontario, Canada
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:11 am 
 

"We were talking about having an album cover made from a photo and luckily managed to find this award-winning photographer Onni Wiljami who actually hails from a village not too far from our hometown and his pictures were just perfect for this album," explains keyboardist Henrik "Henkka" Klingenberg.

"The idea was to create an album that is musically in line with at least the previous two albums," says vocalist Tony Kakko and adds: "I am very happy with the songs and the general mood of the album. Some career highlights there, I feel."

"We recorded a bunch of kick-ass songs and tried some new stuff as well. I'm really proud of how we managed to record the band sounding more live, playing together instead of just tracking everything one by one", states Klingenberg.

Image

Youtube: show

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26556
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:28 am 
 

Not a great song but it's kinda nice. I enjoy how these guys never do exactly what people want them to. I'm sure this will be good - both their last two basically summed up what the band was about to me.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Detective Pikachu, Dark Spirits

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 6406
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:12 pm 
 

It's not incredible, but I already like it a hell of a lot more than most of The Ninth Hour, so that's certainly something.
_________________
I write anime reviews. They're good for your health!
My Most Recent Review: Mirai of the Future!
Coming Up Next:
Mob Psycho 100 II
After That: Martian Successor Nadesico and The Irresponsible Captain Tylor

Top
 Profile  
simonitro
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:41 pm
Posts: 342
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:00 am 
 

That's not bad, actually. Sounds very pleasant so far and it has some nice lead guitars.
_________________
Pretty much I listen to all metal genres and enjoy them all except for Drone, DSBM, extremely slow Doom Metal, some Ambient stuff and most -core stuff.

Top
 Profile  
Methuen
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 4:55 pm
Posts: 218
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:25 pm 
 

Good lord, but the drummer is so bloody boring.

No idea why Toni thought that vocal-driven music was a good idea; he's not that great a singer !
_________________
Methuen at Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
tahu157
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:22 pm
Posts: 589
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:54 pm 
 

The best part of the song starts just in time for the fadeout. Classic.

Top
 Profile  
LycanthropeMoon
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:53 pm
Posts: 214
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:45 pm 
 

It's a grower. Not one of their best but it's nice, at least. Not sure what to think of that guitar tone, though...

Top
 Profile  
Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:05 am
Posts: 621
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:12 pm 
 

The song was okay, although I think they have released better. The cover art is very very like Sonata Arctica... with a few wolves, it would be even more so.
_________________
Formerly known as HouseSpiders
vacca wrote:
"Pointwhoring is no fun. Pointwhoring endangers the life and happiness of millions. It must stop. We appeal in particular to the youth of today, stop the madness. There are better things in life."

Top
 Profile  
Opus
Veteran

Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2002 11:06 am
Posts: 2876
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:19 pm 
 

The 80s called, they want their pop chorus back.
_________________
Do the words Heavy Metal mean anything to you other than buttcore, technical progressive assgrind or the like?
true_death wrote:
You could be listening to Edge of Sanity right now, but you're not!

Top
 Profile  
Thexhumed
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:26 pm
Posts: 1097
Location: Chile
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:18 pm 
 

Hey, at least Tony isn't singing through the entire song.
_________________
I watch LotR on a monthly basis
__________
My wantlist / Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:36 am
Posts: 694
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:49 pm 
 

I think the new track is decent but it certainly recalls The Ninth Hour which most fans didn't like very much. I suppose the new record could sound similar to the predecessor. The cover artwork is absolutely gorgeous as usual and I wish other bands still invested as much creativity, energy and time into artworks, booklets and music videos even if most people only download or stream songs these days.
_________________
''Visitors'' - a short story: http://kluseba.eklablog.com/visitors-a-short-story-p1453372

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26556
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:56 pm 
 

Methuen wrote:
Good lord, but the drummer is so bloody boring.

No idea why Toni thought that vocal-driven music was a good idea; he's not that great a singer !


I think he's one of the best singers in PM. Aside from some heavy hitters like Roy Khan or Daniel Heiman who aren't even really doing it anymore, very few can captivate with anything they sing like he can, for me anyway. Such great tone and feel.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Detective Pikachu, Dark Spirits

Top
 Profile  
jimbies
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:52 pm
Posts: 1202
Location: Ontario, Canada
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:54 am 
 

Empyreal wrote:
Methuen wrote:
Good lord, but the drummer is so bloody boring.

No idea why Toni thought that vocal-driven music was a good idea; he's not that great a singer !


I think he's one of the best singers in PM. Aside from some heavy hitters like Roy Khan or Daniel Heiman who aren't even really doing it anymore, very few can captivate with anything they sing like he can, for me anyway. Such great tone and feel.


Yeah, Toni on a ballad is top notch in my books.

Top
 Profile  
Atarii
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:15 am
Posts: 1
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:52 am 
 

jimbies wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Methuen wrote:
Good lord, but the drummer is so bloody boring.

No idea why Toni thought that vocal-driven music was a good idea; he's not that great a singer !


I think he's one of the best singers in PM. Aside from some heavy hitters like Roy Khan or Daniel Heiman who aren't even really doing it anymore, very few can captivate with anything they sing like he can, for me anyway. Such great tone and feel.


Yeah, Toni on a ballad is top notch in my books.


I don't consider Roy Khan to be anything special at all. He has a pleasant timbre, but his technical prowess is above-average.
Nils Patrik Johansson has what seems to me both an awesome voice and pretty much perfect technical skill, to the point that some people actually don't like his higher pitched singing, displayed largely on Civil War albums. He doesn't strain or force himself to sound deep: He has a perfect, strong voice that just gets higher pitched as it goes up, which can end up sounding slightly ridiculous with his gritty vocals. I personally love it but in any case, from a technical standpoint I think he's far superior to Roy Khan, and when he sings in the range in which Roy Khan sings, I even prefer his voice.

All opinion, of course!

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26556
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:36 am 
 

Khan has a shitload of soul and feeling in his voice and the way he sings is just so damn masterful. Nils is a good singer but I don't like a lot of what he sings over and his voice gets annoying after a while.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Detective Pikachu, Dark Spirits

Top
 Profile  
Opus
Veteran

Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2002 11:06 am
Posts: 2876
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:32 am 
 

I wouldn't even compare Nils Patrik Johansson and Roy Khan. Both really great singers, but vastly different.
_________________
Do the words Heavy Metal mean anything to you other than buttcore, technical progressive assgrind or the like?
true_death wrote:
You could be listening to Edge of Sanity right now, but you're not!

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 6406
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:54 pm 
 

Nils Patrik Johansson is an extremely interesting case--I love his work with Wuthering Heights, but I absolutely can't stand anything he did with Civil War. It's puzzling how he sounds great in one band but sounds like shit in another.
_________________
I write anime reviews. They're good for your health!
My Most Recent Review: Mirai of the Future!
Coming Up Next:
Mob Psycho 100 II
After That: Martian Successor Nadesico and The Irresponsible Captain Tylor

Top
 Profile  
Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:34 pm
Posts: 751
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:20 pm 
 

Quote:

I don't consider Roy Khan to be anything special at all. He has a pleasant timbre, but his technical prowess is above-average.
Nils Patrik Johansson has what seems to me both an awesome voice and pretty much perfect technical skill, to the point that some people actually don't like his higher pitched singing, displayed largely on Civil War albums. He doesn't strain or force himself to sound deep: He has a perfect, strong voice that just gets higher pitched as it goes up, which can end up sounding slightly ridiculous with his gritty vocals. I personally love it but in any case, from a technical standpoint I think he's far superior to Roy Khan, and when he sings in the range in which Roy Khan sings, I even prefer his voice.

All opinion, of course!


NPJ is great. I prefer the harsher tones he used to do on the WH albums, especially FFTMC.


Last edited by Pitiless Wanderer on Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
ShinyOx
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:30 pm
Posts: 19
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:24 pm 
 

I didn't mind it, an incredibly safe single in the fact it's neither offensive nor boring. I'll probably buy the album anyway, but would certainly hope there were a few more exciting songs on there.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26556
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:46 pm 
 

Both Wuthering Heights and Civil War are awful... I liked him on the real old Astral Doors stuff and what I remember of some Lion's Share though.

Anyway if the single is any indication, the new SA will probably be more in line with Stones Grow Her Name. Or it could be PM and this is an outlier.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Detective Pikachu, Dark Spirits

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26556
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:41 am 
 

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/S ... %B6/787580

I really like these song titles, gotta say.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Detective Pikachu, Dark Spirits

Top
 Profile  
Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:34 pm
Posts: 751
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:38 am 
 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Nils Patrik Johansson is an extremely interesting case--I love his work with Wuthering Heights, but I absolutely can't stand anything he did with Civil War. It's puzzling how he sounds great in one band but sounds like shit in another.



His vocals on The Last Full Measure are great. I agree that the other two albums don't really showcase his talents very good.

Top
 Profile  
Kerrick
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:02 pm
Posts: 1136
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:12 am 
 

Pre-orders are up!
https://shop.sonataarctica.info/

Top
 Profile  
MrRipe
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:08 am
Posts: 7
Location: Oregon
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:47 pm 
 

I'm actually looking forward to this. Sonata Arctica was the first metal band I ever listened to, and it was because of them that I really got into metal. That will always be something that I remember.

Top
 Profile  
jimbies
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:52 pm
Posts: 1202
Location: Ontario, Canada
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:03 am 
 

MrRipe wrote:
I'm actually looking forward to this. Sonata Arctica was the first metal band I ever listened to, and it was because of them that I really got into metal. That will always be something that I remember.


This is super interesting. First metal band of any genre? I'd love to hear how this happened. Most people I know got into metal through the big guys/classics (Metallica, Megadeth, Sabbath, Priest, Maiden) or depending on their age, Nu Metal or Metalcore/Screamo. How does one find SA first? A friend?

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26556
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:06 am 
 

You'd be surprised - SA have crossover appeal because their stuff has a very different vibe and energy from most metal; more positive, less of the aggressive meathead thing. I've known people who aren't metalheads who like them, Kamelot, etc. Interesting stuff.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Detective Pikachu, Dark Spirits

Top
 Profile  
LycanthropeMoon
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:53 pm
Posts: 214
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:07 am 
 

"A Little Less Understanding" is definitely a grower. Didn't like it much the first time I heard it, but now I dig it. It's not their best song, but it's far from horrible. I like pretty much all of their albums, though the first 4 are admittedly my favorites.

Also, Nightwish were my gateway band, so it doesn't necessarily have to be nu-metal, metalcore or Metallica that gets you into the genre I guess.

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 6406
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:14 am 
 

My gateway bands were Nightwish, Iced Earth, Within Temptation, and Epica. One of these things is not like the others~

But Sonata Arctica arrived on my radar not too long afterwards.
_________________
I write anime reviews. They're good for your health!
My Most Recent Review: Mirai of the Future!
Coming Up Next:
Mob Psycho 100 II
After That: Martian Successor Nadesico and The Irresponsible Captain Tylor

Top
 Profile  
jimbies
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:52 pm
Posts: 1202
Location: Ontario, Canada
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:19 am 
 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
"A Little Less Understanding" is definitely a grower. Didn't like it much the first time I heard it, but now I dig it. It's not their best song, but it's far from horrible. I like pretty much all of their albums, though the first 4 are admittedly my favorites.

Also, Nightwish were my gateway band, so it doesn't necessarily have to be nu-metal, metalcore or Metallica that gets you into the genre I guess.


Did you just stumble upon Nightwish on your own? Was it a recommendation from a friend, or just saw the album?

Top
 Profile  
MrRipe
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:08 am
Posts: 7
Location: Oregon
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:34 pm 
 

Quote:
This is super interesting. First metal band of any genre? I'd love to hear how this happened. Most people I know got into metal through the big guys/classics (Metallica, Megadeth, Sabbath, Priest, Maiden) or depending on their age, Nu Metal or Metalcore/Screamo. How does one find SA first? A friend?


I was actually watching a "We are Number One" video back in August 2018 because Stefan Karl had just died and I wanted some good ol' nostalgia. The particular one I was watching had the original song played in 13 styles of metal. At the time, I was really into reggae and EDM, but I was curious about metal because I had heard about it but had never listened to it. One part of the song was played in the style of Sonata Arctica, and I was like, "Oh shit, this is actually good!" and checked them out, and that was my introduction into metal. From there I found Stratovarius and got really into power metal. After that, I discovered death metal through Gojira and by then there was no turning back.

Top
 Profile  
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:22 pm
Posts: 4536
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:46 pm 
 

I was kind of the same way, after a brief nu-metal foray I got Dragonforce's Sonic Firestorm as my first metal album (having heard them in some gaming youtube video at the time) and then moved directly into SA, Kamelot, Blind Guardian and the like. I didn't start going through the classics (Maiden and Rush being first) until about six months after that.
_________________
demonomania wrote:
A gritty "Leprechaun In the IRA" reboot sounds pretty awesome, actually. Sample line - "Come have a taste of me lucky ARMS!"

NEW Valcove album Forge @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge. For fans of Aphex Twin, Autechre, ambient techno

Top
 Profile  
LycanthropeMoon
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:53 pm
Posts: 214
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:38 pm 
 

jimbies wrote:
LycanthropeMoon wrote:
"A Little Less Understanding" is definitely a grower. Didn't like it much the first time I heard it, but now I dig it. It's not their best song, but it's far from horrible. I like pretty much all of their albums, though the first 4 are admittedly my favorites.

Also, Nightwish were my gateway band, so it doesn't necessarily have to be nu-metal, metalcore or Metallica that gets you into the genre I guess.


Did you just stumble upon Nightwish on your own? Was it a recommendation from a friend, or just saw the album?

It was a recommendation from a friend, a girl I knew in high school. She was a massive, massive fan of them. I wasn't really that into metal at the time, was mostly into punk. It was...uh, very different from what I was used to back then, but I ended up liking it. I remember thinking they reminded me of Disney music. This led me down the power metal rabbit hole, which naturally led me to other forms of metal.

Top
 Profile  
Kerrick
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:02 pm
Posts: 1136
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:44 am 
 

^Funny, I like to quiz my [poor, patient] wife on which band I put on while driving and her test is, "if it sounds like a Disney song, it's Sonata Arctica; if not, it's someone else" hahahaha.

After being introduced to Metallica and Maiden back in high school, I found Sonata Arctica by the lists Amazon used to have. Anyone remember those? Folks would make "my favorite metal album" lists or something which I thought was a great feature. You'd click on an album (or any product) you'd like, and could peruse lists it'd show up in with products other people with similar tastes also liked. There I stumbled upon Silence and Winterheart's Guild which just captivated me immediately.

Top
 Profile  
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 8:22 pm
Posts: 4612
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:53 am 
 

Kerrick wrote:
After being introduced to Metallica and Maiden back in high school, I found Sonata Arctica by the lists Amazon used to have. Anyone remember those? Folks would make "my favorite metal album" lists or something which I thought was a great feature. You'd click on an album (or any product) you'd like, and could peruse lists it'd show up in with products other people with similar tastes also liked. There I stumbled upon Silence and Winterheart's Guild which just captivated me immediately.


Those lists were pretty nifty, especially as somebody who was completely new to metal back in the early 2000s. I'm pretty sure those lists were how I found out about the Black Sabbath albums that didn't feature Ozzy Osbourne.
_________________
Spirit Division (Stoner/Doom): http://spiritdivision.bandcamp.com
My solo acoustic project (Dark Folk/Blues): http://christophersteve.bandcamp.com/
Lavaborne (Heavy/Power/Doom): https://lavaborne.bandcamp.com

Top
 Profile  
Kerrick
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:02 pm
Posts: 1136
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:11 pm 
 

Cool! Yeah those lists were a great feature. It's too bad Amazon did away with them.

Top
 Profile  
Aydross
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:21 pm
Posts: 479
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:26 am 
 

I love how the song is so by the numbers that the thread went into a different subject.

Also, the first metal song that I listened to was Stratovarious - Speed of Light some 15 years ago, by random shuffling a fiends Ipod. I would be listening to different music if it wasn't for that I'm pretty sure, been hooked ever since. Still a kick ass song.
_________________
...Don't turn out the lights
Cause there's demons in the night
And they prey on the fears in us all...

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group