Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:18 am 

Old school Swedeath band Entrails have a new one out on October 11th called Rise of the Reaper. The band have also been having a lot of lineup issues, having already lost the guys from Istapp that recorded World Inferno in 2017 (who themselves were replacements for the two "classic" members from Birdflesh who quit after 2015's Obliteration), and they were replaced by two new members from an unknown band called Omnicide, and then they left earlier this year. This album was recorded with yet another new lineup, with Jimmy remaining and Penki (who was guitarist and secondary vocalist on the past two albums) now switching to bass and lead vocals.

Album cover (spoilered due to size):
Spoiler: show

Sample track:

Quote:
01. Rise of the Reaper (Intro)
02. For Hell
03. Miscreation
04. The Pyre
05. In the Shape of the Dead
06. Gravekeeper
07. Destination Death
08. Destruction
09. Crawl in Your Guts
10. For Whom the Head Rolls
11. Evils of the Night
12. Cathedral of Pain
13. The End (Outro)

Entrails return once again with a fistful of SweDeath that hits you so hard that your skull caves in. This time around the focus is successfully moved a bit more to the mid-tempo region and the cross-breeding of Swedish Death Metal and early 80's Heavy Metal works amazingly well and make you wanna get into your old Volvo 240, crank this one up and roll down the windows and scream at old people when you drive through town on a Saturday night.

Not sure what the general consenus around these guys is, but I've been a big fan for years now. I know a lot of people are getting bored of the HM-2 Swedeath sound these days with boring bands like Revel in Flesh or most Rogga Johanssen projects flooding the scene, but I've always thought Entrails were able to stand out because Jimmy is such a fantastic songwriter - he does a great job combining the crushing, mid-paced style of Grave with the attitude and aggression of early Entombed and Dismember, while at the same time not being afraid to let a little Edge of Sanity-esque melodicism creep in. Plus, how can you not love the band's delightfully retarded lyrics "Decapitation, heading for some more / Mutilation's what I do / Every man to me is a filthy whore / I'll always hack up someone new", etc. The Tomb Awaits is actually one of my favorite albums released during this whole "OSDM revival" scene and one I would legitimately regard as some kind of "classic" at least in my eyes.

Anyway, I'm very excited for this new album - song rules, Penki's vocals are killer and of course, the album cover looks deliciously cheesy - exactly the way I like my Entrails to be!

frostjunkie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:14 pm 

Good band, love the demo and first album especially but stopped following them after The Tomb Awaits. I think Puteraeon is a similar and more consistent band.

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:32 pm 

I like how new cover references The Tomb Awaits but it's severely lacking in execution. I wish they stuck with their previous cover artist.

With this being their 6th full length with absolutely no change or growth in their sound I didn't expect to like that new song as much as I did. That chorus is goofy yet so catchy. "Now you must do as I tell you, Crawl in your guts!" Sounds like something Ghoul or Impaled would have written but it doesn't come off as tongue-in-cheek when Entrails does it.

untappd: patrick_g

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:00 am 

I got the 3 first albums, and they are really cool!
Perfect for dark october nights.

I guess the albums after are more of the same, not sure if I need them.

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:41 pm 

There's always a few bangers on each Entrails album, so I'll at least check it out. Even with lineup changes, I do love the heaviness that they always go for in their production, makes everything feel so crushing. Coincidently enough, I recently ordered an Entrails T-shirt for their album, Obliteration, because the cover art is so damned good.

Spoiler: show

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:57 pm 

Got my copy today and completed my first listen - so far, I'm very satisfied. A lot more variation than their previous three albums, the crushing, groovy death metal is still more or less at the forefront, but there's more speed and blast beats, some melodic stuff in "For Hell", and even flirting with genres outside of death metal, like "Destruction" which mixes in some punk/hardcore influence, and "Cathedrals of Pain", which is pure death-doom and is easily the most epic thing these guys have done since "Triumph of the Sinners". Also, Penki is easily the best vocalist Entrails has ever had...no disrespect to Jocke or the other guy (forget his name), but this guy absolutely kills it - he sounds absolutely vicious while still retaining a certain level of clarity. Overall, I really like the album and I'd say it's easily the best one since The Tomb Awaits. They've changed things up slightly, but not enough to upset or ruin the simplicity that made them notable in the first place.

Also, they finally brought back the classic tagline in the liner notes "Once again this pure oldschool Swedish death metal in the shape of Entrails will smash your head into pieces!"...very happy to finally see that return!

Reply to topic