Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:21 am 

I did this topic before, and this time I'm fitting the disclaimer into the title. I don't mean borderline rock bands with this topic at all. I am referring to bands that have full-fledged, 100% pure bona fide metal songs, but they aren't on the archives because those songs are like one or two songs on albums that aren't metal otherwise. Only post absolutely pure 100% metal songs in this thread, not borderline shit of bands you think should be included in your opinion, just thinking of individual songs that are completely metal, they're just done by a band that hasn't done a full metal album.

This is a classic example:

Youtube: show

Pure metal, but the album it's on is 90% hard rock.

And of course everyone knows this one:

at the gaytes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:19 pm 

Anal Cunt - Fuckin A is more metal than Ghost, yet they are not on the archives

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:46 pm 

at the gaytes wrote:
Anal Cunt - Fuckin A is more metal than Ghost, yet they are not on the archives

droneriot wrote:
Only post absolutely pure 100% metal songs in this thread, not borderline shit of bands you think should be included in your opinion

Subverter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:49 pm 

blackmantram wrote:
Only post absolutely pure 100% metal songs in this thread, not borderline shit of bands you think should be included in your opinion

Why don't you cry about it?

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:51 pm 

Obligatory mention to the thrash metal song by sum 41. (it is even mentioned in the rules). Just for the record.

edit:
Subverter wrote:
Why don't you cry about it?

but, I'm literally crying.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:40 pm 

Damn Yankees mainly played AOR/hard rock with a glam vibe, but the end of their first album features this song, Piledriver, which IMO is straight up speed metal.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:05 pm 

Early Europe had some songs that sounded suspiciously like the emerging subgenre of power metal that Helloween would go on to revolutionize.
Mirai of the Future
After That: Mob Psycho 100 II and Martian Successor Nadesico

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:20 pm 

blackmantram wrote:

Seeing the band appeals subforum and posts in the "Why was band X rejected/deleted/blacklisted" thread, I think that that request is too much for many users here. There is constant debate about what is or isn't metal. Unfortunately, I can see a lot of similar disagreements on the way in this thread.

at the gaytes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:30 pm 

HouseSpiders wrote:
blackmantram wrote:

Seeing the band appeals subforum and posts in the "Why was band X rejected/deleted/blacklisted" thread, I think that that request is too much for many users here. There is constant debate about what is or isn't metal. Unfortunately, I can see a lot of similar disagreements on the way in this thread.

Fuckin A sounds 100% metal to me. Am I missing something here? How is this different from Twisted Sister, Motley Crue or other 80's glam metal?

BeigeToupee
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:31 pm 

Not sure how much this would possibly count for legit in this thread, but King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard are definitely non-metal. Some SLIGHTLY metal-tinged moments on one or two albums, but for the most part they’re a psychedelic/garage/jazz/indie rock band. They’re releasing yet another new album in a month and so far at least one song is what I’d call metal. The other two singles are arguably metal influenced psych/hard rock. This one seems way, way more metal than anything they’ve put out in the past.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:41 pm 

I really went overboard with the clarifications, didn't think it would still be this difficult. Bring on the Cromagnon, I guess.

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:27 pm 

Don't hate me people:-

https://youtu.be/EylaJ8rnjYM

https://youtu.be/qsJBLawNkfI

Probably not the best examples of what the OP is looking for but best I can think of.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:12 pm 

at the gaytes wrote:
HouseSpiders wrote:
blackmantram wrote:

Fuckin A sounds 100% metal to me. Am I missing something here? How is this different from Twisted Sister, Motley Crue or other 80's glam metal?

Are you asking me? No comments, I didn't even listen to it, and given your description I don't intend to either. I just said I see a lot of arguments on linked songs' metalness on the way.

Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:00 pm 

blackmantram wrote:
Obligatory mention to the thrash metal song by sum 41. (it is even mentioned in the rules). Just for the record.

Very cool!

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:24 pm 

First time I heard Agnostic Front's track ("The Eliminator") I seriously thought they were a thrash metal band. I didn't know anything about the band, or the fact that they were affiliated more with hardcore punk than with metal.

And I suspect, you will find just as many songs from the punk spectrum that would qualify as full-blown metal, as you would from the hard rock/glam rock side of things.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:00 pm 

Wasn’t Blink 182 metal or am I confusing them with Sum 41?

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:30 pm 

Goo Goo Dolls used to be punk rock and signed to Metal-Blade.

They even have a song they subtitle "The Metal Song"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhntBs1uq7M

7|10|42-RIP-5|16|10

MutantClannfear
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:33 pm 

This came to mind for me:

EDIT: Here's another. This song (and a couple others on this album, like the title track) is pure modern groove metal:

Last edited by MutantClannfear on Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:33 pm 

Brazen Abbott - Day of the Eagle

Classic Helloween-ish power metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEpJXXbDjvg

ClicheUsername
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:01 pm 

Earthshine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:09 pm 

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard have been releasing some very thrash influenced stuff recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtTi_uyYynA

I'd love to hear them record some really slow doom, they could definitely pull it off. Some Black Metal tracks would be awesome too but I don't know if they are into that. Anything they attempt turns out unreal though.

amelanchier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:20 pm 

King Crimson - "Happy with What You Have to Be Happy With"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWN9oqTSs14

I think "Level Five" also fits, but might be disqualified from Archives for being too dissonant (even if they did a full album of this stuff).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KKka6sSCs0

jthompson
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:39 pm 

Earthshine wrote:
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard have been releasing some very thrash influenced stuff recently.

I'd love to hear them record some really slow doom, they could definitely pull it off. Some Black Metal tracks would be awesome too but I don't know if they are into that. Anything they attempt turns out unreal though.

They definitely have some, even some borderline stoner doom tracks on a couple previous albums. Apparently their next record is supposed to be entirely thrash in the style of that video.

jimbies
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:57 pm 

Sum 41 also has this fun little one

Ryan Adams covering Whiskeytown's 16 Days, only he makes it a (kinda) black metal song

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:54 pm 

Conan Troutman wrote:
Don't hate me people:-

https://youtu.be/EylaJ8rnjYM

https://youtu.be/qsJBLawNkfI

Probably not the best examples of what the OP is looking for but best I can think of.

The first track is officially horrible. As in, totally unlistenable, it's so bad.

The second track... I'm kind of hearing a Voivod influence, and definitely something interesting going on with the vocals. It's clearly the more pure metal of the two, at least in its root influences. That kind of heavy dissonant thing the first band does- I hear a lot of modern bands do this, and it usually sounds almost as bad as that track (which is terrible by any standard), and it's a bit too musically removed from metal in my opinion.

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:25 am 

obligatory-

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

Stonectomy - Brutal Slamming Stoner Doom (new EP out NOW!)

MegaMal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:04 am 

The Offspring - The Meaning of Life. Banging riffs.

Everflowingstream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:03 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Early Europe had some songs that sounded suspiciously like the emerging subgenre of power metal that Helloween would go on to revolutionize.

Europe should be in the MA based off the first two albums. Huge influence on Euro power metal.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:48 am 

Ugly Kid Joe - Heavy Metal

Not really a song, but more of a joke / hidden track.

It's kind of a shame Whitfield Crane never fronted a heavier band. He'd make an outstanding heavy metal vocalist. Listen to him doing Master of Puppets. He's fantastic.

Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:22 am 

Whitfield would've been a good addition to Anthrax IMHO.

GOOFAM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:37 pm 

Obligatory reminder that the Sum 41 song is nearly a note-for-note rewrite of "Battery," for those who didn't pick up on it.

Avenged Sevenfold have a few on every album that are over the line; this is one of the clearest ones, I think.

ironman8008
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:25 pm 

in your face
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-e82PK8wfM

ironman8008
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:29 pm 

how the bloody hell noone mentioned THIS?? guys were doing Judas Priest sound way before Judas Priest themselves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-RTCRPMoaQ

TheLoneForest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:05 pm 

jthompson wrote:
Earthshine wrote:

They definitely have some, even some borderline stoner doom tracks on a couple previous albums. Apparently their next record is supposed to be entirely thrash in the style of that video.

I call dibs if they get whitelisted on the archives

KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:44 pm 

Damn that King Gizzard track rules hard as fuck. I enjoyed their Polygondwanaland album but I had no idea they were messing with this direction. Color me damn well intrigued.

Gary Moore's Murder in the Skies is metal as fuck, almost like a cross between Iron Maiden and Rainbow (if they got heavier in the 80s instead of going the AOR route).

Of course Van Halen's always good for a balls-out speed metal track here or there.

Perhaps this is cheating since Danzig's on the archives and this is basically a Danzig song, but it's a heavy as fuck metal track on a non-metal album so I'm including it.

This song always reminded me of early 80s Accept. 45 Grave is too awesome.

Subverter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:15 pm 

at the gaytes wrote:

Yay! It's Pink! is probably more metal than most of the bands in The Metal Archives.

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:59 pm 

Yeah, some of that Europe stuff is pretty solidly metal in my opinion. They are just far more known for their more lightweight pop-hard rock stuff.

Same with Gary Moore. First time I heard this track I thought, "Heck yeah, this guy's metal as FUCK!! The New Randy Rhodes right here!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q0IVkyQ1OI

Well, then I heard the rest of the album and, uh, nope...not metal. This song however, clearly is.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:37 pm 

Everflowingstream wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

Europe should be in the MA based off the first two albums. Huge influence on Euro power metal.

I remember when they almost were added but it was Morrigan that shut it down. This was like 2007 or so, but that same album was brought up.

7|10|42-RIP-5|16|10

Endarkening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:52 pm 

ironman8008 wrote:
how the bloody hell noone mentioned THIS?? guys were doing Judas Priest sound way before Judas Priest themselves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-RTCRPMoaQ

How have I not heard this before? A thousand thanks for posting!

BastardHead
Worse than the PMRC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:36 pm 

MegaMal wrote:
The Offspring - The Meaning of Life. Banging riffs.

I expected some people to misinterpret the OP and submit stuff from borderline bands that have a track or two here or there, but I didn't expect anybody to post straight up unambiguous punk rock like this.

For the record, like 70% of all Offspring songs are straight up Bad Religion worship like this, most people just don't realize it because all of their singles are fucking terrible.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next