Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:42 pm 

As far as I know, Nuclear Blast will be putting out the album (the single is out April 16th, so they have something sorted). NB have been sitting on the completed album for a few years, so may not have wanted to put any more money towards it - I think the crowd funding was to make improvements that Dino wanted.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:47 pm 

Dino mentioned when he started the crowdfunding that they were without a label (this is mentioned in the article I linked to as well) so I doubt they're still working with Nuclear Blast.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:27 pm 

Dino mentioned in a tweet a few months back that he had a contract with Nuclear Blast. There's also an FAQ on the crowd funding page that says NB will be putting the album out. I don't know if these pages can be updated after the original post, but seems a sure thing that NB will be involved.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:01 pm 

Well, good luck to Nuclear Blast with the promotion then. A big part of the band's appeal is lost with Burton leaving and I'm not sure the new singer they've recruited can fill his shoes.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:25 pm 

Yeah, the band won't survive a singer change. Not that Burton is a GOOD singer by any means (he's not exactly Eric Adams, there'd be countless guys out there that can sound exactly like him), but the entire "Fear Factory-ness" of the band is gone if he's not there TBH. The album without Dino got a pass because it still had the other 3 guys. With just Dino it might as well be one of his side projects no one took that much interest in. If I was Dino I'd be trying to negotiate with Burton for a 2022 farewell tour and just being done with it.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:31 pm 

I think the rift between Dino and Burton has reached the point where it would take a significant paradigm shift for Burton to agree to return, even for a farewell tour. If it was possible Dino wouldn't have recruited a new vocalist in the first place.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:00 pm 

Burton's voice suited FF amazingly well. Cold, clean vocals paired with decipherable harsh screams. I'll defend Burt's voice forever.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:45 am 

I agree that Burton and his unique voice (and look) is an integral part of Fear Factory, and that the band can't really continue without him as the frontman.

However, I said the same thing about Alice in Chains, and Iron Maiden, and Judas Priest (and The Misfits, and the Dead Kennedys)...

Never underestimate the appeal of nostalgia, especially amongst a generation reared on karaoke TV.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:25 am 

Metal Hammer just published a new interview with Burton where he discusses the drama in pretty significant depth. Needless to say, it looks like all the bridges with Dino and the rest of the old lineup (Raymond and Christian) are completely burned and there's little to no chance of those guys even getting in a room and talking to each other, let alone collaborating on music.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/burton-c-bell-my-life-story

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:40 am 

They also just officially announced their new album, titled Aggression Continuum. The first single, Disruptor, will be out on April 16.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/fear-factory-announces-aggression-continuum-album-disruptor-single-due-next-week/

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:14 pm 

This is supposedly the cover art. It was put up on the FF Reddit fan page a few days ago, along with the (correct) name of the album and single. Really looking forward to this now.

Spoiler: show

goetia_unreleased
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:54 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:
This is supposedly the cover art. It was put up on the FF Reddit fan page a few days ago, along with the (correct) name of the album and single. Really looking forward to this now.

Dammit I really wanted the Monolith title/artwork to be used. Oh well. I guess this will do.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:40 pm 

I can already hear this album perfectly, even before it's been released. Anyone else have the same feeling? It's just gonna be typical Dino.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:19 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:
Metal Hammer just published a new interview with Burton where he discusses the drama in pretty significant depth. Needless to say, it looks like all the bridges with Dino and the rest of the old lineup (Raymond and Christian) are completely burned and there's little to no chance of those guys even getting in a room and talking to each other, let alone collaborating on music.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/burton-c-bell-my-life-story

Thank you for posting this.

I really enjoyed this:

Quote:
"But Demanufacture was the album that made Fear Factory Fear Factory. It was our defining moment. It gave us a sound, and it almost created a new genre. I think many people tried to copy it but never succeeded."

Like who?

"Well, you know, Linkin Park did a watered-down version of Demanufacture."

What did you think when you heard Hybrid Theory?

"I wasn’t a fan. I respect what they did, but to me it sounded like Demanufacture for kids."
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:27 pm 

As someone who loves both of those albums for a few of the same, but mostly different reasons, that's hilarious. Something like Static-X is closer to a mainstream version of that sound.

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:30 pm 

So you could in theory describe Fear Factory as "Linkin Park for grown-ups"?

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:01 pm 

Apparently according to Burton, "Back the Fuck Up" is poetry compared to LP.

Speed Metal Terror
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:45 pm 

It must be some pretty nasty stuff if he only addresses it in vague terms or maybe it's a legal thing.
I don't think Fear Factory can go on without him. His voice is integral to their sound IMO.

EricJ
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:09 pm 

Speed Metal Terror wrote:
It must be some pretty nasty stuff if he only addresses it in vague terms or maybe it's a legal thing.

That struck me as odd. I recall Burton saying a lot of pretty harsh stuff about Raymond/Christian when the first reunion with Dino happened and went into detail about what happened the scenes (there was a lawsuit around this time too).

Would be interesting to hear Raymond and Christian's side, but probably won't, which is fine...have they even been up to anything in the past ten years?? Besides suing obviously.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:17 pm 

EricJ wrote:

That struck me as odd. I recall Burton saying a lot of pretty harsh stuff about Raymond/Christian when the first reunion with Dino happened and went into detail about what happened the scenes (there was a lawsuit around this time too).

Would be interesting to hear Raymond and Christian's side, but probably won't, which is fine...have they even been up to anything in the past ten years?? Besides suing obviously.

Christian is playing bass for Vio-lence now. No idea if Raymond is doing anything music-wise.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:58 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Apparently according to Burton, "Back the Fuck Up" is poetry compared to LP.

Which I would happily agree with.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:08 pm 

It seems Dino wasn't particularly pleased with Burton's comments:

Quote:
Dino wrote on Twitter “The people who talk shit about me don’t realize what I went through to put this record together, all the $ that I spent for FF to still exist, to keep it alive for the fans, and just for one asshole to shit all over it, because he lied in court and lost everything. I ❤ FF.”

He added “[Y]ou are not the victim when you lie.” He then responded to a comment asking if the previous two tweets were directed at Bell, “Take it how ever u want, just know this ,I bleed live and die for FF.”

https://metalinjection.net/news/drama/fear-factorys-dino-cazares-takes-thinly-veiled-jabs-at-former-frontman

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:04 am 

Kalaratri wrote:
EricJ wrote:

Christian is playing bass for Vio-lence now. No idea if Raymond is doing anything music-wise.

Ray probably has a few shelved projects (they probably all do), but he does pretty well for himself in the gaming and television industries, I believe.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:13 am 

Kalaratri wrote:
It seems Dino wasn't particularly pleased with Burton's comments:

Quote:
Dino wrote on Twitter “The people who talk shit about me don’t realize what I went through to put this record together, all the $ that I spent for FF to still exist, to keep it alive for the fans, and just for one asshole to shit all over it, because he lied in court and lost everything. I ❤ FF.”

He added “[Y]ou are not the victim when you lie.” He then responded to a comment asking if the previous two tweets were directed at Bell, “Take it how ever u want, just know this ,I bleed live and die for FF.”

https://metalinjection.net/news/drama/fear-factorys-dino-cazares-takes-thinly-veiled-jabs-at-former-frontman

He's also made a lengthy post on a FF Facebook group about Burton (text taken from Reddit discussion)
https://www.reddit.com/r/FearFactory/co ... ut_burton/

easy for you to say because you didn’t have to deal with someone who didn’t want to be there. You didn’t see what went on behind the scenes.

He wasn’t motivated and constantly had to be pushed by producers, record company ,management and my self just to get a record done ,which his part took for ever and great engineers to make him sound like a million bucks. So don’t be fooled, studio is one thing live is where u hear the real person.

You can only push or try to motivate someone so much, if they don’t want to do it then they don’t want to do it.

There was a lot of time wasted, because he would disappear for months and one time he was gone almost a whole year. When we were supposed to be making a record together, his lack of communication just sucked, we would get worried something happened to him. We understand if u want space just tell us you were going to escape for a couple of months or going to work on a solo project or whatever all we asked was to let us know, he failed at that and lied about where he was.

He was unprepared to make a record had very little lyrics written. We were forced to hire outside lyricist to help with vocal hooks, melodies to re-writing his lyrics etc...

I always felt he was looking for a way out. Like hoping one of his other bands would sell allot of records so he wouldn’t have to come back to FF for any reason.

We’ve tried everything from interventions about his drinking, to his voice issues, He just didn’t care.

Now u know the tension he’s caused that got me and others involved frustrated and pissed off there is only so much we all could take.

Imagine you doing all the work and he did very little but got the same amount as u. But I was ok with that because all he had to do was take care of his voice.

Over the years Ive learned to deal with it and all I asked of him was to keep your voice in shape, to be ready for touring or making records and he couldn’t even do that. When asked about why he wasn’t ready or about his voice issues he just learned how to deflect and turn it on you ,hard to understand.

Before you start assuming or guessing put yourself in my shoes. how frustrating it is for everyone one involved and I’m not just talking about me I’m talking about his family to management to record companies to crew , to the fans. His actions effected everyone !

That’s what I had to deal with.

All his legal proceedings were his own actions, The outcome of his Bankruptcy case had nothing to do with me. Him loosing the trademark has nothing to do with me. Him trying to fool the courts and Ray and Chris had nothing to do with me. Somehow he manipulates the media by deflecting from the truth and somehow puts the blame on me. I don’t know how he could say that because my name was not on his bankruptcy case.

The truth is he lied in his bankruptcy (which is a federal offense) but because he lied his punishment was, the Judge took his trademark and put his 50% share up for auction for anyone to make a bid to pay back the creditors ( Ray,Chris $948k) I made the highest bid and won. I bought it so we could continue FF, I can only assume is why he quit.

No need to worry about him he doesn’t need to get a day job he married someone who could take care of him financially.

He found his way out.

Ps. Divine Heresy was very successful so please don’t lump that in with Arkea or any project Burt had. I could have continued with DH we only broke up cause of me going back and fully committing to FF and not because of the money, but because I still loved FF.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:57 am 

Some of that makes sense, I don't doubt that Burt desperately wanted out of Fear Factory but had to stay for the sake of his bills because he had no other way to make a living (I feel like it's almost a running joke with how many side projects and spinoffs from Fear Factory personnel fail). I also don't doubt that he wanted out because he was sick of Dino's shit.

HR90
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:24 pm 

The snippet sounds okay, but nothing we heard before. Dino should go back to Asesino.

SilverSpring2018
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:00 pm 

FF seems imprinted more with Dino's DNA than Bell's but it would be weird to hear an FF record with someone else's vocals, if they do continue after this next album without him.

I'd listen to another Divine Heresy record. Was never a huge fan of the vocals, especially on the first one, but I liked both albums, as chuggy as they could be at times.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:17 pm 

This will never happen, but a perfect vocalist for the style would be Devin Townsend. The 90s Strapping Young Lad albums are essentially a similar template but with better vocals. His voice is still in top-shape, but his music is rarely as consistently aggressive anymore.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:35 pm 

None of these snippets mean anything. It's been ages waiting for just one song to come out, and no doubt it'll also be April 16 in the US, not for those of us closer to the international date line. That 10 seconds or whatever could be any FF, from any era except maybe the first album - only, even though it's probably too short to tell without the larger context, that wasn't exactly a top-shelf riff.

I think Dino is over-estimating just how much he can try and feed people breadcrumbs and have them still care. FF has been an afterthought for most except the diehards since the mid-00s (probably earlier), and tbh trying to lead us on like this only for the new album to probably sound exactly like Genexus.... that's.... fucking annoying? haha.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:09 pm 

While I'll wait for the full song to make a judgment, the snippet was pretty meh. I have a hard time believing that the new FF album will be good enough to return the band to relevancy at this point.

Last edited by Kalaratri on Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:13 pm 

That snippet sucks horse cock. The same nu metal riffing that has plagued the band since Obsolete.

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:48 pm 

I'll give Dino's post-reunion work some credit because Mechanize and Genexus are good albums, but he seems to be bereft of ideas this time around.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:00 pm 

I guess that's what happens when main people in the band spend more time suing then writing

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:55 pm 

Kalaratri
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:20 pm 

MikeyC wrote:

That video is time/region locked so a lot of us can't see it, looks like I'll have to wait until Friday to hear what Dino's come up with.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:27 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

That video is time/region locked so a lot of us can't see it, looks like I'll have to wait until Friday to hear what Dino's come up with.

My apologies, sorry about that.

Roktan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:58 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
This will never happen, but a perfect vocalist for the style would be Devin Townsend. The 90s Strapping Young Lad albums are essentially a similar template but with better vocals. His voice is still in top-shape, but his music is rarely as consistently aggressive anymore.

That would be cool, the problem with Devin is he's almost 50, and during one of the last concerts he did (streaming), he got exhausted near the end because of all the screaming. He has the pipes but I'm not sure he has the endurance anymore. You know who I think and wish would take over? Benjamin Nominet, formerly of Sybreed, currently in his own small project of Shadow Domain. I think he would fit well.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:11 am 

Roktan wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

That would be cool, the problem with Devin is he's almost 50, and during one of the last concerts he did (streaming), he got exhausted near the end because of all the screaming. He has the pipes but I'm not sure he has the endurance anymore. You know who I think and wish would take over? Benjamin Nominet, formerly of Sybreed, currently in his own small project of Shadow Domain. I think he would fit well.

Well, Burton himself is 52. I'm just thinking in terms of studio performance, not necessarily touring capability. Ben is 41, I'm not sure how well he takes care of his voice. He's an ok choice, probably better than average for that niche. I adore Sybreed, though mostly for Drop's riffing, synth programming, and the drumming (particularly Verbeuren's performance on Antares).

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:31 am 

Far out, the new song just fuckin' SUCKS.
I wasn't expecting them to reach their early 90s highs but I did at least figure it'd sound like more Genexus.
That.... is a flat-out terrible song. Why on earth is it the lead single? That's a track 7 or 8, buried in the second half of an album kinda throwaway song. There goes any interest I had in the album, lol.

At least the new Cannibal Corpse (also out today) just absolutely rules.

twistedknife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:42 am 

Turner wrote:
Far out, the new song just fuckin' SUCKS.
I wasn't expecting them to reach their early 90s highs but I did at least figure it'd sound like more Genexus.
That.... is a flat-out terrible song. Why on earth is it the lead single? That's a track 7 or 8, buried in the second half of an album kinda throwaway song. There goes any interest I had in the album, lol.

At least the new Cannibal Corpse (also out today) just absolutely rules.

Yep, I've enjoyed pretty much every Fear Factory album, including Transgression and Digimortal, but this is just bad.

Violence Unimagined is awesome. I wasn't sure how they'd sound without Pat, but Erik Rutan fits in perfectly.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next