Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:01 am 

DeadKid wrote:
Well, it's saying some non-metal is technically eligible but it'd be friggin' weird if anyone took advantage of that technicality. :D I imagine some users chose not to clog up their 2017 metal list with Ulver despite it being one of their favourite of the year. So Ulver's position in the final results was probably lower than the actual sentiment out there.

It's quite weird since you have to check what's and not in the website.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:03 am 

Pitchfork released their top metal albums of the year today. It's always a mixed bag when a website like that decides to focus on metal. They had some big names that are poised to do well here on our own poll, and then some bands that aren't even on the archives:

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-an ... bums-2019/

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:19 pm 

jimbies wrote:
some bands that aren't even on the archives

You do realize that that MA's definition of metal isn't the universal standard, right? It's okay to call bands metal if they aren't listed here. Also, there's only a single band on that list that aren't on the Archives, which is a much higher ratio than most lists out there, so what the friggin frick are you even talking about?

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:00 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
jimbies wrote:
some bands that aren't even on the archives

You do realize that that MA's definition of metal isn't the universal standard, right? It's okay to call bands metal if they aren't listed here. Also, there's only a single band on that list that aren't on the Archives, which is a much higher ratio than most lists out there, so what the friggin frick are you even talking about?

Yeah, I just re-read my post six times and still can't see where I was argumentative at all about Pitchfork's list or what they/this website consider metal.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:08 am 

Yeah, all Jim is saying is that when a non-metal centric site highlights metal, it can be a mixed bag from our perspective since we, as one of the largest collectives of "the underground" on the internet, might see them praising things we've never even heard of. No real argumentation there.

Anyway we've got two weeks left, this is when it usually starts picking up, and lordy I hope it does because this is probably the slowest pace we've had since I started these. I'm willing to bet more people are waiting until later than usual since this has become something of an event over the years and they'll want to make sure they're happy with their choices, but on the off chance people have forgotten or didn't notice WE HAVE TWO WEEKS LEFT, DON'T FORGET!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:57 am 

This year has been bad for me for extreme metal. Save for one, my list is entirely epic doom or heavy metal.

It's been a great year for Canadian heavy metal though, 3 strong debuts in Smoulder, Riot City, Traveler. Let's hope they have a long and great career ahead of them (unlike Satan's Hallow, who had an amazing debut in 2017 and then immediately split up :().

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:19 am 

Will hold fire on this until the Nyogthaebliz album comes out on 27th December.

zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:45 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Anyway we've got two weeks left, this is when it usually starts picking up, and lordy I hope it does because this is probably the slowest pace we've had since I started these. I'm willing to bet more people are waiting until later than usual since this has become something of an event over the years and they'll want to make sure they're happy with their choices, but on the off chance people have forgotten or didn't notice WE HAVE TWO WEEKS LEFT, DON'T FORGET!

Don't rush them BH, they should take a leaf out of my book and wait until the very last minute which in my case is always New Years Day morning while horrifically drunk. Putting any sort of actual thought into the list you submit is for sad nerds; you need to embrace the absolute dearth of thought and let the terrible opinions seep out of you like you're in the midst of a fever during some kind of wasting illness that had 19th century name like Coddlesnap's Mephitic Malaise.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:44 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
3 strong debuts in Smoulder, Riot City, Traveler. Let's hope they have a long and great career ahead of them (unlike Satan's Hallow, who had an amazing debut in 2017 and then immediately split up :().

No kidding! Satan's Hallow was in my top 5 that year, and out of the three you mentioned, Traveler is my favourite, but they are all worthy. The first track on the Smoulder record is one of my favourite songs of the year.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:15 pm 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
Will hold fire on this until the Nyogthaebliz album comes out on 27th December.

!

jimbies wrote:
The first track on the Smoulder record is one of my favourite songs of the year.

That song reminds me a lot of the opening song on the Eternal Champion debut (doesn't hurt that they're both produced by the immortal Mr. Rizk as well). I actually think I might like Smoulder's a bit better though, as it just has more of a gritty punch to it that works in a cool way, especially with the vocals.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:18 am 

jimbies wrote:
Pitchfork released their top metal albums of the year today. It's always a mixed bag when a website like that decides to focus on metal. They had some big names that are poised to do well here on our own poll, and then some bands that aren't even on the archives:

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-an ... bums-2019/

Besides the new PG which I just can't get into as much as the debut, everything I have heard on that list I have really enjoyed. Wasn't expecting that from Pitchfork.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:15 am 

So I just got a ballot that used some specific wording that made me realize I may have been confusing with regards to Debut of the Year. The ballot said something innocuous like "The #1 album on my list is a debut, so obviously that's my pick for debut of the year", but it made me realize that maybe I haven't been clear in the past that the DOTY vote needs to be explicitly pointed out to me like this. If you've been just sort of expecting me to count whatever the highest ranking debut on your list is for that side vote, I haven't been. I don't know everything and don't always catch things like this. So please, if you want to vote for Debut of the Year, put a big neon sign on it so I know to do so. I'm a bit of a dummy and will assuredly not notice if you don't do this.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:30 pm 

Hey BastardHead, you should have my ballot now.

It wasn't exactly my favourite year for metal, but still - at least my top 2 turned out to be undisputable gems for me.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:16 pm 

Alright, I just submitted my list. This has not been my favorite year, but I still feel comfortable with my selections, and the top 6 or so are strong. I will be looking forward to the final list to see how everyone else felt and what I may have missed.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:24 pm 

Are we allowed to post predictions? I think the top contender this year is Blood Incantation. Idle Hands will make a strong push for a brand new band. Mgła should do pretty okay but I wonder if Misþyrming will top them. I bet Opeth has their highest ranking album in a while. Avantasia will be sneaky good amongst the power metal maniacs, and Traveler should do well, too!

Full disclosure, these were not my personal picks. [not all of them, anyway ;) ]

Bachstein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:11 am 

How many ballots have you already received, BastardHead?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:12 am 

Coming up on 60 once I get home and tally what's in my inbox. There is always a late surge in the last few days so I'm not super worried yet but iirc without looking it up we had somewhere around 130ish last year, so if we want to keep breaking the record every year we're going to need one hell of a push.

As for predictions, my prediction ahead of time was that it was going to be a dogfight between Idle Hands and Blood Incantation, maybe with Traveler or Misþyrming as a dark horse. I won't say how it's currently standing, but there are always surprises.

Best one you guys didn't see in real time was Bell Witch going up like 200 slots on the last day for a top ten finish in 2017. I don't think we'll ever see something like that again.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:27 pm 

Tbh with debut of the year I have it as a separate thing under the list, even if the album is already on my list. It's a separate vote, so it gets mentioned separately.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:15 pm 

116 releases for me this year, before I got in my vote. I honestly didn't know if I would get through them all, since for some reason I have been terrible about keeping up with my ratings. Generally I rate an album as soon as I hear it. But when I checked back in the first week of December, I found I still had 60-something full lengths & EPs that didn't have ratings on them.

Going to be a pretty contrarian year. A lot of the albums that have received high praise, here and elsewhere, are among my lowest scoring albums in 2019.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:03 pm 

I was going to vote Vitriol's new full length as debut of the year, but the production was so horrible that I couldn't possibly do it. No debut vote for me this year.

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:34 am 

GTog wrote:
116 releases for me this year, before I got in my vote. I honestly didn't know if I would get through them all, since for some reason I have been terrible about keeping up with my ratings. Generally I rate an album as soon as I hear it. But when I checked back in the first week of December, I found I still had 60-something full lengths & EPs that didn't have ratings on them.

Going to be a pretty contrarian year. A lot of the albums that have received high praise, here and elsewhere, are among my lowest scoring albums in 2019.

Yeah, don't see any of my favorites having many if any other votes besides mine.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:17 am 

Honestly a good few darlings from this year did not make my list, but then others did.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:02 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Hey hey hey!, you know what time it is! It's that time of year again, and once again I will be managing:
THE ENCYCLOPAEDIA METALLUM ALBUM OF THE YEAR POLL

Done, thanks! :beer:

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:58 pm 

Submitted. Cheers for doing this again, BH!

I had a bunch of usual suspects in my list as well as underdogs like Concrete Winds.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:09 pm 

Submitted my list. This is such an interesting year - outside of my #1, I had about 15 albums that could all be any spot between 2-15. My list honestly will probably change before I post my top 30 on my 'zine. Really happy with 2019, even if I was more disconnected from the music world than I have been historically.

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:48 am 

Waiting until just about the last minute as I have a massive amount of catching up to do.

Warlord Wossman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:01 am 

pfk505 wrote:
Waiting until just about the last minute as I have a massive amount of catching up to do.

The lower half of my top 10 is still shifting around a lot, have been on a listening spree for the last few days to sort it out!

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:23 am 

Warlord Wossman wrote:
pfk505 wrote:

The lower half of my top 10 is still shifting around a lot, have been on a listening spree for the last few days to sort it out!

Ahh same dude. It's pretty stable by now, but I still have a few more spins to do before I send in my list. There's also a bunch of stuff I wish I had gotten to, but the year's getting near the end and you can't hear everything, you know?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:47 am 

Xenophon wrote:
There's also a bunch of stuff I wish I had gotten to, but the year's getting near the end and you can't hear everything, you know?

For sure, this happens to me every year. This year, for example, I only got around to hearing the new Meads of Asphodel album like a day or two ago and it's pretty much exactly what I wish the last few Sigh albums were. No guarantee it would've made my list if I had heard it earlier but their style is definitely the kind that rewards relistens thanks to how dense and weird it is, and they could've had a real shot if I had actually bothered to check it out when it was new.

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:06 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
As for predictions, my prediction ahead of time was that it was going to be a dogfight between Idle Hands and Blood Incantation, maybe with Traveler or Misþyrming as a dark horse. I won't say how it's currently standing, but there are always surprises.

I hope that means what I think it means. I was pretty indifferent to just about every 2019 hypetrain, so I'm hoping our top 10 has some nice surprises. Thanks as always for making this happen my man.

Interestingly my list is a 50/50 split of extreme and traditional. I was really trying to branch out and give new things a try this year, so I'm pretty pleased with that.

Cianan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:57 am 

My list is in! Great year for death and black metal. I’ve got a feeling I won’t see too many of my albums in the top 10, but I’m always excited to see what these results offer.

Warlord Wossman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:00 am 

Cianan wrote:
My list is in! Great year for death and black metal. I’ve got a feeling I won’t see too many of my albums in the top 10, but I’m always excited to see what these results offer.

Same here, only got 2 picks that seem to be somewhat common but honestly it would be rather boring if we all argreed and got the same 10 albums at the end.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:03 am 

Cianan wrote:
I’ve got a feeling I won’t see too many of my albums in the top 10, but I’m always excited to see what these results offer.

Same here.

C'mon, guys! Last days left!

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:13 am 

It's looking to be a down year, with only a few days left to vote we're likely to beat the first year score with regards to total ballots but I don't think we'll be breaking 2017 or 2018's turnout unless the last minute push is much larger than I'm expecting. Kind of a bummer because I thought this year was stacked, but hey you can't keep growing every single time.

Question for the participants/viewers at home though, how do you feel about tiebreakers being changed? I've always done it where the album with more higher placed votes takes the break in case of a tie, but I'm starting to second guess myself because that almost always means the album with less overall votes gets the nod. This was never really a problem before, but last year Chapel of Disease made the Hall of Fame at #10 despite tying with Deceased and having less overall votes, and now this year the top spot is once again pretty fuckin' close right now and the bottom portion from like 8-12 has been extremely tight all month, and it's starting to look odd to have an album with five votes technically beating an album with nine or ten.

So basically, how do you think ties should be broken? By order of who has the most votes in the highest positions (the way it is now) or by order of who has the most votes overall (potential new way of doing things)?

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:52 am 

My top ten. It's been a strong year and I blame BastardHead for making me spend more money on CDs in the last couple of weeks. I feel very positively about the year overall and there are still loads of records I need to check out. Metal's in a strong place now and it makes me feel warm and fuzzy (note: only 2 oldies bands!).

1. Blood Incantation – Hidden History of the Human Race
2. Obsequiae – The Palms of Sorrowed Kings
3. Chevalier – Destiny Calls
4. Vultures Vengeance – The Knightlore
5. Tanith – In Another Time
6. Nocturnus AD – Paradox
7. Crypt Sermon – The Ruins of Fading Light
8. Vargrav – Reign in Supreme Darkness
9. Saint Vitus – Saint Vitus
10. Magic Circle – Departed Souls

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:38 am 

BastardHead wrote:
So basically, how do you think ties should be broken? By order of who has the most votes in the highest positions (the way it is now) or by order of who has the most votes overall (potential new way of doing things)?

I like it more the second (new) way. The more people voting should be worth more than one persons' higher vote, imo.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:21 pm 

Agree. More votes overall, any place, should break a tie.

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:11 pm 

Well if you're sticking with F1 rules, I think the driver with the most first place finishes wins. But IIRC, F1 doesn't bother breaking ties outside of podium; they just have two or three with the same placement, with the next number skipped.

I think it should look something like this:

1. Litany - H.A.C.K.: 8-1-1-0-1-4-0-3-2-2 = 293pts
2. King Rizzle and the Shizzle Fo Drizzle - Invasion U.S.A.: 6-3-3-1-2-1-0-0-1-1 = 292pts
3. Brykynhymyn - Come and Det Som: 6-1-1-2-2-0-2-1-1-0 = 245pts
3. Iron Madden - The Playbook of Souls: 0-6-1-3-3-3-2-1-0-1 = 245pts
5. Hemoglobin Enchantment - Hidden Reused Album Art of Apocalyptic Dawning: 2-4-1-1-3-1-3-2-0-1 = 214pts
6. Overkill - More Overkill: 2-1-3-2-2-3-0-2-1-0 = 191pts
6. Heffer Decapitation - Rocko's Monolith of Life: 0-2-3-3-3-2-2-3-0-4 = 191pts
8. Baatooshqa - バトゥシュカ: 2-2-2-1-1-2-0-3-1-0 = 168pts
9. Elfnøusnövoõunon - Analbumiveneverheardof: 2-4-1-0-0-2-1-0-2-0 = 163pts
10. Old Band - We Still Exist: 3-1-2-1-2-0-1-0-0-0 = 161pts

And I guess if 10th place ties, just say fuck it and technically have a top 11?

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:42 pm 

BastardHead wrote:

I wouldn't change a working system. It's fine the way it is and allows direct comparisons to previous years, which I find highly interesting.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:16 pm 

I prefer the original method of breaking ties. I am not bothered by the smaller number of votes, and I think standing out that much to a handful of voters says something in a broad genre with disparate tastes and a lot of obscure releases. Being the perceived best of a certain niche or simply among those who had the chance to hear it is worth more to my mind.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next