* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
AgentMadhatt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:34 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Bachstein wrote:
Especially for power metal fans; I'm sure I'm gonna have some power albums in my final list.

2019 has probably been the best year for power metal so far this millennium.

Which power metal albums would you recommend? I've heard Paladin, Avantasia, Smoulder, and Gloryhammer. What am I missing that makes this the power metal year of the millenium? I'm not trying to start an argument I geniunely want to know because it seems I've missed some good shit

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:52 pm 

Ancient Bards' Origine is one of my top albums of 2019, and Control the Storm's Forevermore is pretty impressive too. And I'm not even really a power metal fan. Honorable mention to Frozen Crown. They try hard.

Bachstein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:28 am 

AgentMadhatt wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:
Bachstein wrote:
Especially for power metal fans; I'm sure I'm gonna have some power albums in my final list.

2019 has probably been the best year for power metal so far this millennium.

Which power metal albums would you recommend? I've heard Paladin, Avantasia, Smoulder, and Gloryhammer. What am I missing that makes this the power metal year of the millenium? I'm not trying to start an argument I geniunely want to know because it seems I've missed some good shit

Just a brief list of some of the bands with a decent 2019 power metal release; Excalion, Elvenking, NorthTale, Bloodbound, Twilight Force, Majestica, Vandor, ShadowStrike, Galneryus...

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:50 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
I feel nothing

:-D

This is not from the album that Idle Hands released this year, but I couldn't resist when I read your post. I hadn't heard of this band until I saw them with King Diamond last month, but they blew me the fuck away and snuck their way onto my radar just in time for list season.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:03 pm 

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:
I feel nothing

This is not from the album that Idle Hands released this year, but I couldn't resist when I read your post.

Too bad their full length from this year isn't nearly as good as their debut EP. Definitely one of the bigger disappointments for me this year.

That reminds me, I was wondering, BH, if another small category could be added, or just mentioned that people can include in their posts when they list their top 10: a category of most disappointing from the year, an album you held with great anticipation, and it ended up disappointing you. I sure do have plenty of those the last couple of years.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:04 pm 

My most listened to (and favorite) albums this year are probably almost all gonna be rando corner. I think my number 1 album is actually going to go to a mysterious band called Non Est Deus - There is No God. These guys have such a unique and fun approach to their style of blasphemy. Their first album was a tale of "preparing oneself" for the the last supper, in a very humorous fashion, but the execution was was deadly serious and full of sharp, cutting, delicious riffs. The 2nd album is a little more serious lyrically, but they still sound like a band that is extremely talented and having a ton of fun making their music. This album has a lot of hints of classic rock, excellent solos with some sweeps, a bit of piano, even some "southern twang"? but at the end of the day it sounds absolutely evil, spine chilling and overflowing with hatred as good black metal should. One thing is for sure, they HATE the evils of the human race and religion. Damn I should have just wrote an entire review huh? They also win my "Best album cover art of the year" award :lol:

The rest of my list will be something like:
Sarastus - Enter the Necropolis (sounds like golden age black metal mixed with modern day Finnish black metal. The 1 guy playing all the instruments is amazing and they got Sarkrista's vocalist)

Imha Tarikat - Kara Ihlas (Also debut of the year, another guitar lead driven assault of unusual and creative riffs. More of the constant wall of sound non-stop tremolo style)

Sielunvihollinen - Kuolonkylväjä (I've been a huge fan of this band for years and they keep getting better. Fun, rocking, putrid Finnish black metal at it's finest. I love their constant guitar lead riffs and the way the Finnish language spews out of the vocalist)

Zloslut - Sahar (Progressive/modern black metal, which is a style that often bores me, but these guys make the slower buildup riffs stay interesting and the payoffs are always worth it)

Véhémence - Par le sang versé (Some of the best medieval black metal I've ever heard. Long epic songs that sound like battle and victory)

Windswept - The Onlooker (It's all Drudkh members, so you pretty much know it's going to be hypnotic and emotional, but this one is super dark and droney. This is probably the heaviest release they have done in years, sounds more like Hate Forest)

Nordjevel - Necrogenesis (My favorite of the norsecore deathy aggressive black metal style)

Mayhem - Daemon (Maybe my only album that won't be in rando corner? This is arguably the best they've ever sounded)

Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult - Mardom (I thought this one would be way higher on the list, but it didn't really hit me as hard as I expected. It's completely savage and thrashy, but doesn't have the most memorable riffs. Great for a good workout or when you're pissed off though)

Mgla - Age of Excuse (This might make my list over DNS, when it first came out I felt very medium about it, but started to enjoy it more and more)

Edit: Zloslut may have to be higher up on the list now that I'm listening to it again. The top 4 is really fucking hard to decide. It's very close between all of them and they are all wildly different.

Last edited by Sick6Six on Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:35 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Mgla - Age of Excuse (This might make my list over DNS, when it first came out I felt very medium about it, but started to enjoy it more and more)

This is one of those disappointments I was talking about. Their last two were superb, but this one didn't have any standout moments to me at all, I don't remember a single thing about it. I've only listened to it once so far though, so it deserves at least one more try.

Bachstein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:06 pm 

DrummingEdge133 wrote:
Sick6Six wrote:

This is one of those disappointments I was talking about. Their last two were superb, but this one didn't have any standout moments to me at all, I don't remember a single thing about it. I've only listened to it once so far though, so it deserves at least one more try.

After just one listening I would not draw a conclusion, certain albums need much more time. Not that I do not agree with you regarding the Mgla release.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:57 pm 

Bachstein wrote:
After just one listening I would not draw a conclusion, certain albums need much more time. Not that I do not agree with you regarding the Mgla release.

Of course, I try not to draw conclusions from one listen if I'm just lukewarm or unsure of an album. It could be this Mgla is a grower, but it's uncharacteristic of their music from my experience, the previous two were just good right from the beginning. We'll see.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:01 pm 

Surprisingly easy this year. There's been a lot of really good stuff on my list, but 10 just happened to have that extra something.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:40 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
My most listened to (and favorite) albums this year are probably almost all gonna be rando corner. I think my number 1 album is actually going to go to a mysterious band called Non Est Deus - There is No God. These guys have such a unique and fun approach to their style of blasphemy. Their first album was a tale of "preparing oneself" for the the last supper, in a very humorous fashion, but the execution was was deadly serious and full of sharp, cutting, delicious riffs. The 2nd album is a little more serious lyrically, but they still sound like a band that is extremely talented and having a ton of fun making their music. This album has a lot of hints of classic rock, excellent solos with some sweeps, a bit of piano, even some "southern twang"? but at the end of the day it sounds absolutely evil, spine chilling and overflowing with hatred as good black metal should. One thing is for sure, they HATE the evils of the human race and religion. Damn I should have just wrote an entire review huh? They also win my "Best album cover art of the year" award :lol:

I heard their album from last year and gave it a 60/100 at the time. That was just after one listen though. Maybe I'll give their new one a shot.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:52 am 

Xenophon wrote:
I heard their album from last year and gave it a 60/100 at the time. That was just after one listen though. Maybe I'll give their new one a shot.

The first one has some nasty riffs, but is definitely weird and it seems like they were holding back a lot of their talent. I'm also glad the 2nd album isn't another cookbook. I hope they continue this 1 album a year thing at least and a slightly longer album would be awesome too. I ended up putting the Zloslut album as my 2nd pick, and relistened to Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult and forgot how good it was when you're in the right mood for face ripping.

Bachstein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:27 pm 

Next to the great power metal releases, I also found many worthwhile technical/brutal death albums from 2019. Anyone else feel the way they'll also have a final 10 with some precious technical death contenders? What was you favourite from this year?

mornox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:35 pm 

Man, I ended up with 12 candidates for my top 10 and the only placement I'm certain of at this point is my number 1. The other 11 are extremely close in quality and putting these in any kind of order is going to be rough.

You know, participating in the past few years' top 10 threads and checking out albums I'd missed in the results threads really reinvigorated my desire to keep up-to-date with new releases. This is the first year in a long, long time where I made an effort to keep informed (mostly through the good new releases thread here) about new albums and check most of them out on bandcamp and buy the ones I really liked. So a heartfelt thanks for Bastardhead in keeping up this tradition multiple years in a row and showing how much cool stuff is still being released nowadays. :headbang:

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:19 pm 

I just submitted my list, and only made one small change: replacing Týr with Hellripper. 'Twasn't an easy choice, as Týr released some of their best material yet, and the Hellripper release of this year was just an E.P. But goddamn if it doesn't rip (pun intended)! It's just 10 minutes of pure filthy blackened speed just like I like it! There were other releases I considered, but this is the only replacement I ended up making.

I was reflecting on the inclusion of E.P.s because of my experience above... It made me think that albums generally have more quality because they have more quantity. But whenever you have an E.P. that's just so damn good start to finish, I love that! It's great when there's not one bad moment or piece of filler, and even though it's short, it's nothing but goodness.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:17 am 

Bachstein wrote:
Next to the great power metal releases, I also found many worthwhile technical/brutal death albums from 2019. Anyone else feel the way they'll also have a final 10 with some precious technical death contenders? What was you favourite from this year?

I fell off of tech death a long time ago because I feel like Origin's Antithesis kind of accidentally killed the entire scene. It continued the one-upsmanship that kept the scene thriving in terms of speed and technicality, but the hooks were so strong that it wound up being one of the catchiest and most memorable albums in the scene and it made everybody (besides a few lucky outliers like Hour of Penance and the first Fleshgod album) seem obsolete. Once that monster dropped, everybody was playing catch-up and suddenly it wasn't as exciting anymore because absolutely nobody could top it. Archspire is really the only band that ever seemed to do it and even then it took them three albums to finally nail it.

That said, the new album from Abnormality is a very strong contender for the bottom half of my list, and I maintain that they're basically the band I wish Suffocation still was. And if you consider Xoth to be technical enough to qualify, they're an even stronger contender with Interdimensional Invocations.

On the whole I don't think death metal really impressed me as much as it usually does this year, because apart from Venom Prison (which sounds like basically a lost Misery Index album from the late 00s) I don't think there's a single DM album that I'm sure will make my list. This is huge because DM usually fucking dominates my year-end rankings. Black, trad, and doom all had incredibly strong years that unseated my usual faves like death and power metal.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:53 am 

BastardHead wrote:
I fell off of tech death a long time ago because I feel like Origin's Antithesis kind of accidentally killed the entire scene.

Interesting. This was pretty much the last tech death metal album I got into. I remember meeting Paul Ryan at a show when they were on tour for that album. We asked if he was going to play "The Beyond Within" and he started talking about how he loved that song and while writing it they called the main riff "the donkey kong riff". That was the last time I ever saw them, but it was a good time.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:21 pm 

DrummingEdge133 wrote:
BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:
I feel nothing

This is not from the album that Idle Hands released this year, but I couldn't resist when I read your post.

Too bad their full length from this year isn't nearly as good as their debut EP. Definitely one of the bigger disappointments for me this year.

Thank you! I can't believe the album is getting so much critical praise. The atmosphere is gone, the singer never shuts up, and the guitars are buried in the mix. The EP is one of my favorite releases of the decade and Mana almost feels like a parody. Definitely my single biggest disappointment of 2019.

Bachstein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:30 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Bachstein wrote:

I fell off of tech death a long time ago because I feel like Origin's Antithesis kind of accidentally killed the entire scene. It continued the one-upsmanship that kept the scene thriving in terms of speed and technicality, but the hooks were so strong that it wound up being one of the catchiest and most memorable albums in the scene and it made everybody (besides a few lucky outliers like Hour of Penance and the first Fleshgod album) seem obsolete. Once that monster dropped, everybody was playing catch-up and suddenly it wasn't as exciting anymore because absolutely nobody could top it. Archspire is really the only band that ever seemed to do it and even then it took them three albums to finally nail it.

That said, the new album from Abnormality is a very strong contender for the bottom half of my list, and I maintain that they're basically the band I wish Suffocation still was. And if you consider Xoth to be technical enough to qualify, they're an even stronger contender with Interdimensional Invocations.

Interesting approach, thanks for the reply. As I can see, looking back at the last years, nearly every year had some eminent tech death bands, and this year seems to be the same for me. Archspire is an extraordinary, rare case from my point of view, their unique approach to the genre cannot be compared to any other band. Or maybe I do lack vision to the scene, but I really feel this way. I do not know Xoth, but I'm sure I'll check them out.

As for this year, I consider it as the year of the recurring bands, which all had a very strong previous release and now managed to top it with their current one; Inanimate Existence, Unfathomable Ruination, Hideous Divinity, Hour Of Penance, Inanimate Existence and we also had a mighty Wormed EP. These all have a great chance to end up in my top10, actually.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:26 am 

DrummingEdge133 wrote:
Sick6Six wrote:

I think it's great, more of the same but still good. I think II, III and VI clearly stand out from the rest of the songs.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:50 am 

Personally, I think Inferi seem more tech-y than Origin when it comes to the guitars. What makes Origin sound so blistering though is the absolutely ferocious drumming.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:30 pm 

I thought Origin's latest effort was very bland. Technically proficient, but mediocre songwriting. Mike Flores on bass and the drumming are what usually makes them stand out for me, and I just didn't hear it this time.

Inferi's latest, even though it's a re-recording of older material with new band members, is going to make my AOTY list probably.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:49 pm 

Though the more I think of it I'd drop the Saint Vitus down my list and move Vltimas up. Fuck that is a good record.

Last edited by Ace_Rimmer on Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AuldAnxiety
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:15 pm 

Submitted my metal albums of the year list (forgot the new Tomb Mold but I'm still happy with it).

I edited this post out of respect for the process. I skimmed through the original post and missed the bit about not posting lists. Sorry about that!

One good thing that came out my mistake is the clarification that
Blue Hummingbird on the Left - Atl Tlachinoll
does count as a 2019 release.

Last edited by AuldAnxiety on Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:45 am 

Did Iron Bonehead change the release date of Blue Hummingbird on the Left on their Bandcamp?

https://ironboneheadproductions.bandcam ... lachinolli

I'm a big fan and definitely bought it as soon as it was available, which was in February, and MA also lists that as the release date. But if their official page is showing the release as December 2018 then where should it fall for this list?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:55 am 

I tend to go by whatever MA says if I'm not familiar with it myself. If you think something should qualify but there's a discrepancy, just ask me, I tend to favor the spirit of the law over the letter. For example, I voted for The Infernal Sea's The Great Mortality in 2016 because while it was technically first released in May of 2015, it was only 100 cassettes sold exclusively at gigs, and didn't get a worldwide release until February 2016 after they signed to Cacophonous Records. So while the letter of the law says it was ineligible, the spirit of the law says it was, since nobody other than 100 people with tape decks in East England could've possibly heard it prior to 2016.

So specifically in this case, I'd say Blue Hummingbird is a valid vote this year.

Also, I should specify that another reason I usually ask people not to share their lists is because some people get confused and think their ballot is going to be counted if they just post it here. You've still gotta PM me, which so far only one of the two dudes who just posted theirs has actually done. If you're gonna ignore my request, please at least PM me as well so I can make sure I count and track it.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:02 am 

Anyone recommend some fucking good black metal or black thrash? I've only enjoyed Wormwitch and Batushka (PANIHIDA, OF COURSE) this year. Some thrash would be great too.

So far I have Devourment, Batushka (see above), Infernal Conjuration, Cerebral Rot, Blood Incantation, Teitanblood, Mortiferum, Gatecreeper and Tomb Mold. Way too much death metal in my opinion, I need to diversify. I had much more time last year to listen to new releases but this year has been hectic...

I will say this: I fucking hate the HM-2 tone nowadays, but goddamn do Gatecreeper and Tomb Mold kill it. Total respect.

AuldAnxiety
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:29 am 

My favorite thrash record of the year is Critical Defiance ‘Misconception’ because it’s musical in a way a lot of releases aren’t nowadays and that makes it stand out (even though the vocals aren’t particularly charismatic).

Other thrashy albums worth checking out:
Morbid Cross - Disciples of the Goat
Critical Extravasation - Morbid Existence
Enforced - At the Walls
Ares Kingdom - By the Light of Their Destruction
Infernal Conjuration - Infernale Metallum Mortis
Infernal Stronghold - Down the Black Tube
Sadistic Ritual - Visionaire of Death
Barbarian - To No God Shall I Kneel
Black Mass - Warlust
Solicitor - Demo 2019

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:29 pm 

TheMysticWombat wrote:
Anyone recommend some fucking good black metal or black thrash?

Hellripper and Oath of Cruelty had excellent black/thrash and death/thrash releases, respectively. Mysþyming, ORM, Vukari, and Gaahls Wyrd all put out fantastic black metal records, none of which are straightforward.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:50 pm 

Two black metal outputs that are strong contenders for my list - Ragnarok's Non Debellicata, and Nordjevel's Necrogenesis. People say good things about Mo'ynoq, but I found Dreaming in a Dead Language merely interesting, and not an AOTY contender.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:26 am 

Rompestromper wrote:
Hey BH, does the debut rule also count if an EP is released before? The new Warforged album is absolutely great but not sure if it counts as an debut of the year album.

The way I read it, I don't think it counts since the EP couldn't be passed off as a demo and wasn't self-released.

~Guest 343918
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:53 am 

Damn, I took it for granted that the Gaahls Wyrd album is a debut, but that could be contested since they have a live EP from 2017. But c'mon, does an independently released live EP of six cover songs count?

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:01 am 

For black/thrash +1 for Hellripper's EP and I would definitely recommend Urn - Iron Will of Power.

Some stuff to consider before you vote:

Death metal: Not sure I saw them mentioned so while I'm here, the new Nocturnus (AD) and Cannabis Corpse are both great. Deathrash or tech death (Death-Human really), Ripper from Chile, the EP. Awesomeness, absolutely love it.

Power (not euro)/Speed/Thrash: Vulture did very good although a bit samey and not crispy enough vocals, Magnabolt plays kinda like Helstar (Corbin years), Chemikill... From older bands Flotsam and Jetsam have some great stuff, Xentrix, Death Angel and Sodom are must check-outs too. Suicidal Angels wrote one of my favorite songs from them, with lots of melody (Bloody Ground, the new video)

Heavy Metal: Fucking Diamond Head man. GREAT album. Amazing vocals (finally!).

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:06 am 

DeadKid wrote:
Rompestromper wrote:
Hey BH, does the debut rule also count if an EP is released before? The new Warforged album is absolutely great but not sure if it counts as an debut of the year album.

The way I read it, I don't think it counts since the EP couldn't be passed off as a demo and wasn't self-released.

The example in the OP is indeed just an example. The nature of its label status or exact format doesn't really matter, it was just a common thing that happens so I used it as an example. I realize now that I just sort of assumed people would know what I was talking about, but now that I'm trying to speechify the parameters I realize I'll just make it more complicated if I try explaining the mental demo/split > EP > LP order that I use without even thinking.

So basically yes, that particular Warforged album is a valid vote for Debut. If anybody else is unsure, feel free to ask me, ask the thread, or go with your gut and see if it flies. Like I said before, I'm more of a believer in spirit over letter when it comes to rules.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:46 pm 

Makes perfect sense given debut full lengths are adorned with the word 'debut' regardless of any prior EPs, and likewise debut EPs vs prior demos.

mornox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:56 pm 

My favourite debuts of this year were by Musmahhu, Mortifera and Ossuarium, with Musmahhu probably taking it because it does a bit more than just be some good OSDM death metal like the other two.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:11 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
1) METAL ONLY!: This is for the METAL Archives, so it would be really friggin' weird if a bunch of non-metal clogged up the final chart. I don't care how great the new Lingua Ignota album is, metal only. This will be measured by whether or not a band is on the archives. I don't claim to know every band, but I'll crosscheck ones I don't know against the database here, and if they don't have a page, your whole ballot goes in the internetical trash. This is very simple. The only exception is for bands who are on the archives but released a non-metal album, simply because I'm not about to split hairs and listen to every single album myself to make sure they all qualify. So to make it easy: An album like Opeth's new one is eligible, but Kvelertak is not.

This is actually my favourite part of the year-end poll. A few years back being able to vote for Ulver, but not Converge made it really interesting. I am only posting this here because in my Non-Metal album of year thread in the Tavern, someone posted that they are including Yuruselem on their list here. BastardHead gets it right about not splitting hairs, it's tough enough to do a poll like this.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:27 pm 

Yeah it makes sense to keep the debut of the year part simple (and not have some rule like a debut has to be their first release of that significance level or higher), especially since it's not the main thing here anyway. Personally, I would order the "significance" of the release types like demo < EP/split < lp, with collaborations usually being on par with lp unless they're short.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:50 pm 

I've actually listened to a lot of bands this year where it was their first/debut release of some kind, mostly full-lengths. That's surprising. The debut album of the year vote is actually going to be pretty hard for me this year as there are several that qualify that I liked a lot.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:31 pm 

jimbies wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
1) METAL ONLY!: This is for the METAL Archives, so it would be really friggin' weird if a bunch of non-metal clogged up the final chart. I don't care how great the new Lingua Ignota album is, metal only. This will be measured by whether or not a band is on the archives. I don't claim to know every band, but I'll crosscheck ones I don't know against the database here, and if they don't have a page, your whole ballot goes in the internetical trash. This is very simple. The only exception is for bands who are on the archives but released a non-metal album, simply because I'm not about to split hairs and listen to every single album myself to make sure they all qualify. So to make it easy: An album like Opeth's new one is eligible, but Kvelertak is not.

This is actually my favourite part of the year-end poll. A few years back being able to vote for Ulver, but not Converge made it really interesting.

Well, it's saying some non-metal is technically eligible but it'd be friggin' weird if anyone took advantage of that technicality. :D I imagine some users chose not to clog up their 2017 metal list with Ulver despite it being one of their favourite of the year. So Ulver's position in the final results was probably lower than the actual sentiment out there.

I've hardly added any bands to the Archives, so I liked that I had to scramble to submit my #1 so that I could actually vote for them (TVX).

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next